The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Name:Farrago
Game map search ref:Drootie FE-E d13-154
Description:This system has a number of attractions, both scientifically and aesthetically pleasing. Marvellous views of the rings of planet B8 can be garnered from the craters and canyons of the closely orbiting 'A' moon, whilst the 'B' moon hosts the rare biological crystalline shards. Closer to the star, a pretty and terraformable water world rather unusually presents as a moon of a high metal content world, also terraformable.

On their own, each element is interesting, but what makes the system special is the collection of such features all in one place. For that reason I've named the system Farrago, which is both Latin for conglomeration and in English means a confused mixture.
Screenshot reference:

to post #3592 I'll make a better description and give it a name o7 Pls hold

For post #3592

Crater Azul

Crater which is nearly circular and huge, in the middle is a kind of plateau. The rim, at least one side, is covered with ice (?), which glows blue at sunset.

Attachments

• Screenshot-1733.png
    Screenshot-1733.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot-1734.png
    Screenshot-1734.png
    408.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Screenshot-1736.png
    Screenshot-1736.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 266
  • Screenshot-1737.png
    Screenshot-1737.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 254
  • Screenshot-1739.png
    Screenshot-1739.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 274
NameFingers of the Titan
System nameEoch Bli EQ-F C27-2241 Planet A2
DescriptionThis rocky ice world is home to fantastic canyons in addition to it's sole set of mountains, rising in sheer walls from the plains below. The peaks are quite visible on approach, and there is even landing areas torwads the tops of some of the peaks. The tallest climb over 15,000m above the plains.
Photos

Dance of goblins

Cho Thaa GQ-W d2-0

Two small rocky worlds (428km & 388km) are tidally locked at around 1000km and provide a stunning view. Both worlds are moons of a smaller gas giant (class II) and have geological sides. It's a 'green' system.

There's a ringed ww in this system also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2051.jpg
    Screenshot_2051.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot_2079.jpg
    Screenshot_2079.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 246
NameFingers of the Titan
System nameEoch Bli EQ-F C27-2241 Planet A2
DescriptionThis rocky ice world is home to fantastic canyons in addition to it's sole set of mountains, rising in sheer walls from the plains below. The peaks are quite visible on approach, and there is even landing areas torwads the tops of some of the peaks. The tallest climb over 15,000m above the plains.
Photos

Wow! Those are some mountains.

Wow! Those are some mountains.
Yeah, I could see them from the fss, had to go get a closer look. If memory serves, the big one had about 70 degree sides, all the way to the top. There was a spot on the tall one that looked like it should be landable, but my big booty beluga put the kibosh on that happening.

I have a question. There's something I might want to suggest, but I'm not at all sure if it's rare enough, and it probably isn't. So to save me typing it up: how rare is it to find a moon close enough to its parent's rings that you can sit on the ground and watch the individual rocks go by?

(I mean, they're not up close, that would be impossible, but they're individual enough to see them as distinct pixels with gaps in between.)

(EDIT: pic)
yF1gPoO.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question. There's something I might want to suggest, but I'm not at all sure if it's rare enough, and it probably isn't. So to save me typing it up: how rare is it to find a moon close enough to its parent's rings that you can sit on the ground and watch the individual rocks go by?

Unusual. If you can actually see the rings moving in "real time", that's worth submitting.

Name: Storyteller's Fire
Galmap ref: Fachoae XZ-I c24-0
Type: Geological

Planet: 1 A

Desc: "On May 6th 3305, Commander THEWANDERER - part of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition - wrote and published an extensive story about the Galactic Mapping Project. His efforts to highlight the work done by the Galactic Mapping Project over the last 4 years are recognized by this Point of Interest, discovered by him.

In THEWANDERER's words: 'The Storyteller’s Fire is a small planet sitting just outside the edge of a wide, icy ring deep inside the otherwise barren Styx. Approaching the planet involves a long, beautiful descent along the edge of that ring system. On the way in, the massive frozen disk initially fans across the sky, filling the canopy with millions of rapidly spinning chunks of ice and rock. Then, just before the landing, the ring winks out, nearly disappearing as it’s viewed edge-on.

Down on the surface below is a geological site filled with dozens of brightly glowing iron magma vents. On the dark side of the planet they look every bit like the campfire I built years ago just outside Eagle Cave. The planet itself is forever locked in place. Like our Moon, it always shows the same face, to the gas giant that it orbits.

Landing at The Storyteller’s Fire, it’s possible to see the light of the next day just a few kilometers away on the horizon. I think it would make a wonderful rest stop for other Commanders: A place to land, exit their ships after a long journey, and swap stories around the campfire.'

Photo by Commander THEWANDERER"

hkFbdIZl.jpg

Last edited:
Name:Great Balls O' Fire
Game map search ref:PROYAA PE-H D10-9
Description:A system with 9 stellar bodies and no other planetary bodies. The first 4 stars are relatively close together.
Screenshot reference:
cmdr-pyxis-9-stars-jpg.130772

Attachments

• CMDR Pyxis - 9 Stars.jpg
    CMDR Pyxis - 9 Stars.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 703
  • PROYAA PE-H D10-9 A B C D.jpg
    PROYAA PE-H D10-9 A B C D.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 238
  • PROYAA PE-H D10-9 A B C D (different angle).jpg
    PROYAA PE-H D10-9 A B C D (different angle).jpg
    136 KB · Views: 270
  • PROYAA PE-H D10-9 G H I.jpg
    PROYAA PE-H D10-9 G H I.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 247
Down on the surface below is a geological site filled with dozens of brightly glowing iron magma vents. On the dark side of the planet they look every bit like the campfire I built years ago just outside Eagle Cave. The trick is that here, on the other side of the galaxy, these vents will always be surrounded by darkness. The planet itself is forever locked in place. Like our Moon, it never rotates, always showing the same face to the gas giant that it orbits.
Don't get me wrong, I like the article, but this part of this entry ought to be corrected, as it's incorrect. The moon is tidally locked to its parent gas giant, but not to the star it orbits. Like our Moon, daylight would move across its surface.

No offense, but aside from the media article, I don't think the find is noteworthy.

Name:Glyder Fach
Game map search ref:Blue Greau RY-L c10-17 1 A
Description:This small planet is so close to its neighbouring ringed giant that a pilot, sat on the surface and gazing at the skies, will be able to pick out individual ring rocks as they sweep rapidly by.

Please note: due to distance from its parent star, and proximity to a large gas giant, the planet is very often in darkness. Its surface is uneven and has significant mountain ranges, so any visiting pilot is strongly advised to use caution and night vision. However, the near-constant twilight also serves to accentuate the beauty of the rings that cascade endlessly and almost touchably overhead.
Screenshot reference:
isZN2gP.jpg

(A note about the name, in case anyone's curious. Glyder Fach - pronounced gluh-dare vach (with a soft ch, as in loch) - is a peak in Snowdonia. As anyone familiar with Snowdonia is no doubt aware, even by its usual moraine-and-scree-filled standards, the Glyderau are particularly covered with rocks. And more rocks. Rocks everywhere. Indeed, Glyder most likely means 'a pile of rocks'. And it has a very nice view too, if you manage to find the one hour a year when it isn't raining. So I felt it suitable for a place that has, well, a very nice view of countless rocks. The 'fach' part simply means small - because this is a small planet - and even if there's nothing about the gas giant itself which warrants a formal name, in my mind at least, it will always be Glyder Fawr, Big Glyder.)

castell-y-gwynt-glyder-fawr-and-snowdon-from-glyder-fach.jpg

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like the article, but this part of this entry ought to be corrected, as it's incorrect. The moon is tidally locked to its parent gas giant, but not to the star it orbits. Like our Moon, daylight would move across its surface.

No offense, but aside from the media article, I don't think the find is noteworthy.

Modified, thanks for the correction. This was considered noteworthy by the team for helping to publicize and celebrate the work of the GMP and of DW2.

Improved description for Black Fields:

About 2500 above the galaxy disc there is a cluster of 28 black holes. There is also a 29rd one which is 300 higher and
seems to be unreachable or at least one way trip. There are few scoopable stars in this sector, and most of the systems are
quite distant from each other, so 50+ jump range and at least 5 premium FSD injections are highly recommended.

Full system list:

1) SYROOMIE AA-A F11
2) SYSTAE FREE DA-A F13
3) SYSTAE FREE DA-A F4
4) SYSTAE FREE IL-Y E1
5) SYSTAE FREE DA-A F20
6) SYSTAE FREE BA-A G13
7) SYSTAE FREE GL-Y E7
8) SYSTAE FREE CF-A E3
9) SYSTAE FREE CA-A F20
10) SYSTAE FREE CA-A F16
11) SYSTAE FREE DA-A F3
12) SYSTAE FREE FF-A S9
13) SYSTAE FREE CA-A F25
14) SYSTAE FREE DA-A F40
15) SYSTAE FREE FF-A E9
16) SYSTAE FREE DA-A F31
17) SYSTAE FREE DA-A F3
18) SYSTAE FREE CA-A F33
19) PHO AOSCS OS-U F2-5
20) PHO AOSCS PS-U F2-3
21) PHO AOSCS OS-U F2-23
22) PHO AOSCS OS-U F2-43
23) PHO AOSCS DW-N B6-5
24) PHO AOSCS OS-U F2-26
25) PHO AOSCS PS-U F2-35
26) PHO AOSCS PS-U F2-4
27) PHO AOSCS PS-U F2-19
28) PHO AOSCS OS-U F2-44
29) PHO AOSCS AA-A H3 (unreachable one)

NameWalled Garden
LocationSlaiyooe CB-X d1-5 planet 6
DescriptionThis gas giant has two sets of rings, with five moons orbiting in the space between the rings. The outer rings are extremely wide compared to the size of the gas giant. Three of the moons orbit their parent body in a trinary arrangement. The innermost moon offers a nice view of the inner ring system from a number of active geological sites.

Approaching the planet from a distance gives the impression of the gas giant and moons being walled off from the rest of the universe by the massive outer rings.
Screenshot reference
hB7Nyyb.jpg

KMkKqsi.jpg

Modified, thanks for the correction. This was considered noteworthy by the team for helping to publicize and celebrate the work of the GMP and of DW2.
Eh, I don't know. If you (plural) wish to make the article more visible, making a "GMP in the media" section and adding it there would be much better than adding a random entry among hundreds.
In addition, if an explorer will travel thousands of light-years to this entry, don't you think they'll be disappointed to find that it's just a run-of-the-mill vent, and not even in perpetual darkness like the description says?

POI Name:The Great Wall of Syrivai
POI Type:Planetary Feature
GalMap Reference:Syrivai UY-R d4-67
Description:Upon arriving at this system, the first thing the explorer will notice is the rings of the 3rd planet. Even from 6kLs, the rings of this Class IV Gas Giant are very clearly visible. The giant has three rings. A single moon orbits between its 2nd and 3rd rings. A gas giant with ammonia-based life orbits the great wall as a moon. That gas giant has moons of its own which are landable and provide stunning views of the great wall. Like the Great Wall of China, these immense rings are the protectors of this system; blocking incoming threats with its mighty size.

Eh, I don't know. If you (plural) wish to make the article more visible, making a "GMP in the media" section and adding it there would be much better than adding a random entry among hundreds.

A media category would be great. I like this idea.

Top Bottom