Thargoid Attacks: Where, When and What you can do about it

Dumb question.... are systems with Ammonia Worlds/Ammonia-based life/Ammonia Atmosphere the only ones being targeted? I checked out a half-dozen worlds with damaged/repairing in the bubble and they all fit that bill. Of course, I checked out Maia (Obsidian Orbital) and there are none, but I get the feeling that was probably cherry-picked for it's "social impact"

Dumb question.... are systems with Ammonia Worlds/Ammonia-based life/Ammonia Atmosphere the only ones being targeted? I checked out a half-dozen worlds with damaged/repairing in the bubble and they all fit that bill. Of course, I checked out Maia (Obsidian Orbital) and there are none, but I get the feeling that was probably cherry-picked for it's "social impact"

Maybe... A study into target selection in the Thargoid attacks of 3305 I guess the basic theory is that Eagle Eye 4 targets fit that bill, the other 5 maybe not so much.

Targets this week

Incursions (AX CZ) : Just check galnet 2nd post ;)

Infestations (NHSS):
As per Eagle Eye (below), plus more in the Incursion systems

Eagle Eye
ee1 kwiamoni
ee2 adnoannoda
ee3 heng
ee4 sokolsci
ee5 svaratia
ee6 valtam

NHSS are often delayed, you may find them if you check even the No-NHSS systems

Warning: Try and not be in the Infested / Incursion systems on Thargsday for the server restart - CMDRs have reported CtD issues otherwise.

Notes:
  • Incursions are listed in the 2nd Galnet article (in-game only) and dynamically update through the week (they start at 'massive thargoid presence' and are beaten when we reach 'no thargoid presence'.)
  • Thargoids first Infest a system (this has now been hidden), if the Infection is not fought then they begin an Incursion, and we lose stations until the incursion is repelled.
  • Incursed systems can be seen in the Galmap left panel. Sometimes the system also switches allegiance to the Thargoids (not always). It's worth checking a system is still Incursed before travel (in the 2nd Galnet post), as they change through the week. Sometimes the Galmap does not show the correct states, but systems targeted by Eagle Eye should still be targets. Unless that is broken ...
  • There is a galmap filter to help find Incursion systems
  • Incursion systems : fight in the AX CZ until they are listed in Galnet as 'No Thargoid Presence' :)
  • Thargoids can only attack space stations with 'L' landing pads, if a system has none of these then it is a lower priority.
  • Infested Systems : are saved by kills in the target systems- each kill counts the same, so a Scout is as useful as an Interceptor. Bonds do not matter. They only update state once a day, just after the BGS tick.
  • You can also find NHSS all over the Pleiades - within about 87.3 Ly of Merope, but it won't help save any systems.
  • And you can get (sometimes bugged) missions from the Aegis megaships / Rescue Ships to kill Thargoids, but they also don't count to save systems unless the destination system for the mission is also a target this week.
  • Infested Targets are found by decoding the aegis Eagle Eye system https://canonn.science/codex/eagle-eye-installations/
  • Decoding Eagle Eye is now simpler - use this decoder and type in the phonetic letters called out by the eagle eye unregistered comms beacons - this gives the target system
(Thread title courtesy of Zaratan)

Maybe... A study into target selection in the Thargoid attacks of 3305 I guess the basic theory is that Eagle Eye 4 targets fit that bill, the other 5 maybe not so much.

As a matter of fact, today, for the first time since 3.3 hit, ee#4 went for a system without ammonia. Considering the longest jump ever done on EE#4, i.e., 60Ly from CD-54 471 to Orang, I checked for candidates w/ AW around Otherni with a slightly higher jump range:
Code:
Otherni -(66)-> LFT 434: ['Vinogradov Enterprise - Ocellus Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 2) ['LFT 434 5 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(17)-> Pemepatung: ['Salgari Vision - Coriolis Starport (Extraction)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Pemepatung 3 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(45)-> Bok: ['Landsteiner Orbital - Coriolis Starport (Terraforming)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Bok 8 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(28)-> Opet: ['Carroll Station - Coriolis Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Opet 10 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(65)-> Apishna: ['Hamuy Port - Coriolis Starport (Extraction)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Apishna A 1 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(21)-> Er Longs: ['He Port - Orbis Starport (Industrial)', 'Westerfeld Hub - Orbis Starport (Industrial)', 'Hoyle Orbital - Coriolis Starport (Agriculture)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 1) ['Er Longs A 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(70)-> Kamadhenu: ['Shajn Market - Orbis Starport (Agriculture)', 'Couper Hub - Orbis Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Kamadhenu 2 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(47)-> HIP 18187: ['Tuttle Gateway - Coriolis Starport (High Tech)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['HIP 18187 6 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(41)-> Phrygiang: ['Revin Hub - Coriolis Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Phrygiang A 3 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(68)-> LHS 1380: ['Gurevich Orbital - Orbis Starport (Agriculture)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['LHS 1380 A 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: no)
Otherni -(56)-> Ngaiawang: ['Dornier Terminal - Coriolis Starport (High Tech)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Ngaiawang 1 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(63)-> He Qiong: ['Wilson Survey - Coriolis Starport (Tourism)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['He Qiong 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: no)
Otherni -(52)-> Iota Pictoris A: ['Barmin Dock - Ocellus Starport (Refinery)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Iota Pictoris A 5 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(55)-> HIP 17298: ['Louis de Lacaille Terminal - Coriolis Starport (Industrial)', 'Froud Hub - Ocellus Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 1) ['HIP 17298 AB 5 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(39)-> HIP 30045: ['Kuchner Port - Ocellus Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['HIP 30045 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)

The only 2 that were not attacked before (either pre or post 3.3) are LHS 1380 and He Qiong. Despite the availability of these two systems, the column decided to go for a much closer HT system. If we were prone to wearing tinfoil hats, we could go as far as saying that EE#4 is configured to look for thargets within a 60Ly range and will drop to a different target (Economy: high tech) if none are available, rather than re-visiting a previous tharget. However, since in the past there's been a similar case with EE#6 that, at the time, was steadily going for Economy: Agriculture systems, and suddenly deviated towards an Economy: High Tech target, only to go back to Agriculture on the following week, I'm not feeling that confident about these conclusions. Indeed, contrarily to this time, in that case there were plenty of potential targets w/ agricultural stations and the jump was way over the average jump range for that column.

NOTE: in the past, we've observed thargeted systems being visited more than once by the thargoids (e.g., HIP 9141), but never by the same column/EE.

UPDATE: the situation looks pretty much the same for next week, from Sokolsci there're no non-attacked systems with an AW and a targetable station within a 60Ly radius, we'll see if they stick to HT, change target, or improve the range.

Last edited:
Yeah, the economy criteria have been refined a bit since then but EE4 and EE6 are pretty stable.Need to revisit that study at some point :)
You people at Canonn do a great service for the community, well I think so at least.
As a matter of fact, today, for the first time since 3.3 hit, ee#4 went for a system without ammonia. Considering the longest jump ever done on EE#4, i.e., 60Ly from CD-54 471 to Orang, I checked for candidates w/ AW around Otherni with a slightly higher jump range:
Code:
Otherni -(66)-> LFT 434: ['Vinogradov Enterprise - Ocellus Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 2) ['LFT 434 5 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(17)-> Pemepatung: ['Salgari Vision - Coriolis Starport (Extraction)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Pemepatung 3 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(45)-> Bok: ['Landsteiner Orbital - Coriolis Starport (Terraforming)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Bok 8 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(28)-> Opet: ['Carroll Station - Coriolis Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Opet 10 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(65)-> Apishna: ['Hamuy Port - Coriolis Starport (Extraction)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Apishna A 1 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(21)-> Er Longs: ['He Port - Orbis Starport (Industrial)', 'Westerfeld Hub - Orbis Starport (Industrial)', 'Hoyle Orbital - Coriolis Starport (Agriculture)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 1) ['Er Longs A 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(70)-> Kamadhenu: ['Shajn Market - Orbis Starport (Agriculture)', 'Couper Hub - Orbis Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Kamadhenu 2 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(47)-> HIP 18187: ['Tuttle Gateway - Coriolis Starport (High Tech)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['HIP 18187 6 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(41)-> Phrygiang: ['Revin Hub - Coriolis Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Phrygiang A 3 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(68)-> LHS 1380: ['Gurevich Orbital - Orbis Starport (Agriculture)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['LHS 1380 A 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: no)
Otherni -(56)-> Ngaiawang: ['Dornier Terminal - Coriolis Starport (High Tech)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Ngaiawang 1 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(63)-> He Qiong: ['Wilson Survey - Coriolis Starport (Tourism)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['He Qiong 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: no)
Otherni -(52)-> Iota Pictoris A: ['Barmin Dock - Ocellus Starport (Refinery)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['Iota Pictoris A 5 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(55)-> HIP 17298: ['Louis de Lacaille Terminal - Coriolis Starport (Industrial)', 'Froud Hub - Ocellus Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 1) ['HIP 17298 AB 5 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)
Otherni -(39)-> HIP 30045: ['Kuchner Port - Ocellus Starport (Industrial)'] (Barnie-hosting candidates: 0) ['HIP 30045 4 - Ammonia world'] (attacked in the past: yes)

The only 2 that were not attacked before (either pre or post 3.3) are LHS 1380 and He Qiong. Despite the availability of these two systems, the column decided to go for a much closer HT system. If we were prone to wearing tinfoil hats, we could go as far as saying that EE#4 is configured to look for thargets within a 60Ly range and will drop to a different target (Economy: high tech) if none are available, rather than re-visiting a previous tharget. However, since in the past there's been a similar case with EE#6 that, at the time, was steadily going for Economy: Agriculture systems, and suddenly deviated towards an Economy: High Tech target, only to go back to Agriculture on the following week, I'm not feeling that confident about these conclusions. Indeed, contrarily to this time, in that case there were plenty of potential targets w/ agricultural stations and the jump was way over the average jump range for that column.

NOTE: in the past, we've observed thargeted systems being visited more than once by the thargoids (e.g., HIP 9141), but never by the same column/EE.

UPDATE: the situation looks pretty much the same for next week, from Sokolsci there're no non-attacked systems with an AW and a targetable station within a 60Ly radius, we'll see if they stick to HT, change target, or improve the range.
Same, you people at Canonn do a great job.

Not going to lie I spent several minutes before I realized you probably were not talking about a purple dinosaur, which among other things means I can't spell very good. As Thargsday approaches I'm going to guess they don't expand and just pick the next row target that is free starting from the top (which we don't know unless it is EE numbering). If it hits the bottom then it will try again from the top looking for repeats. Only because if I were programming it that is what I would think of trying first.

Recently NHSS are appearing in Incursion systems (as well as the AX CZ), so presumably they will count towards saving the system. Also the Thargoid Massacre missions have been back in the rescue ships, along with Salvage missions!

Targets this week

Infestations (NHSS):

Eagle Eye
EE1: HIP 12155
EE2: Rasaste
EE3: Medzist
EE4: Carpaka
EE5: Hoff
EE6: Wakandiini

Checked by CMDR Robbie & myself

Warning: Try and not be in the Infested / Incursion systems on Thargsday for the server restart - CMDRs have reported CtD issues otherwise.

Notes:
  • Incursions are listed in the 2nd Galnet article (in-game only) and dynamically update through the week (they start at 'massive thargoid presence' and are beaten when we reach 'no thargoid presence'.)
  • Thargoids first Infest a system (this has now been hidden), if the Infection is not fought then they begin an Incursion, and we lose stations until the incursion is repelled.
  • Incursed systems can be seen in the Galmap left panel. Sometimes the system also switches allegiance to the Thargoids (not always). It's worth checking a system is still Incursed before travel (in the 2nd Galnet post), as they change through the week. Sometimes the Galmap does not show the correct states, but systems targeted by Eagle Eye should still be targets. Unless that is broken ...
  • Incursion systems : fight in the AX CZ until they are listed in Galnet as 'No Thargoid Presence' :)
  • Thargoids can only attack space stations with 'L' landing pads, if a system has none of these then it is a lower priority.
  • Infested Systems : are saved by kills in the target systems- each kill counts the same, so a Scout is as useful as an Interceptor. Bonds do not matter. They only update state once a day, just after the BGS tick.
  • You can also find NHSS all over the Pleiades - within about 121 Ly of Merope, but it won't help save any systems.
  • And you can get (sometimes bugged) missions from the Aegis megaships / Rescue Ships to kill Thargoids, but they also don't count to save systems unless the destination system for the mission is also a target this week.
  • Infested Targets are found by decoding the aegis Eagle Eye system https://canonn.science/codex/eagle-eye-installations/
  • Decoding Eagle Eye is now simpler - use this decoder and type in the phonetic letters called out by the eagle eye unregistered comms beacons - this gives the target system

We can not win because the "story" is on pause. If we clear more, FD amps up the Thargoid activity. So why bother in the first place.

I don't think so. The story is not "on pause". It is us who ended up in a dead-end-street with our warfare greed. Instead, the story is waiting for us. It wants us to rethink our current strategy and behaviour. Please read the Holdstock Report. It gives you insight where our real enemies are. You may have a look at the Linnaeus section there which explains why the Thargoids are here. We, the independent pilots, cannot win unless we change our strategy.

That's why I kinda semi-retired from this. Very few are interested in clearing infestations, FD half baked the content, AX players and player groups like AXI are more interested in fun content like AXCZs and killing interceptors with Sidewinders and I cant blame them!

Also there's the thing that if clearing the infected systems was to be more successful, players who enjoy the Incursion content and rescuing stations wouldnt have such content for them available. Many AX combatants will be unhappy...

That's why I kinda semi-retired from this. Very few are interested in clearing infestations, FD half baked the content, AX players and player groups like AXI are more interested in fun content like AXCZs and killing interceptors with Sidewinders and I cant blame them!

Also there's the thing that if clearing the infected systems was to be more successful, players who enjoy the Incursion content and rescuing stations wouldnt have such content for them available. Many AX combatants will be unhappy...
Hmm. That being the case, I'll move onto the infestations for a change. (y)

Recently NHSS are appearing in Incursion systems (as well as the AX CZ), so presumably they will count towards saving the system. Also the Thargoid Massacre missions have been back in the rescue ships, along with Salvage missions!

Targets this week

Infestations (NHSS):

Eagle Eye
ee1 harrigi
ee2 veja deng
ee3 shoki yine
ee4 serktomes
ee5 lokipi
ee6 jataya

Notes:
  • You can also find NHSS all over the Pleiades - within about 126 Ly of Merope, but it won't help save any systems.

I reiterate the point I made several months ago - there is NO point to killing 'Goids - They just respawn in the same systems they were killed - So why bother if you cannot clear a system of them ? - No sense of accomplishment for killing them - The rewards are not rich enough for me to bother trying - Why risk a 30 million + ship for a 2 million bounty ? - When other sources and higher bounties abound with less than half the risk ? - They won't bother you in supercruise and as long as you don't aggravate them they leave you alone.

I reiterate the point I made several months ago - there is NO point to killing 'Goids - They just respawn in the same systems they were killed - So why bother if you cannot clear a system of them ? - No sense of accomplishment for killing them - The rewards are not rich enough for me to bother trying - Why risk a 30 million + ship for a 2 million bounty ? - When other sources and higher bounties abound with less than half the risk ? - They won't bother you in supercruise and as long as you don't aggravate them they leave you alone.
?
What if you enjoy killing Thargoids? :unsure:

Top Bottom