Thargoid Attacks: Where, When and What you can do about it

I reiterate the point I made several months ago - there is NO point to killing 'Goids - They just respawn in the same systems they were killed - So why bother if you cannot clear a system of them ? - No sense of accomplishment for killing them - The rewards are not rich enough for me to bother trying - Why risk a 30 million + ship for a 2 million bounty ? - When other sources and higher bounties abound with less than half the risk ? - They won't bother you in supercruise and as long as you don't aggravate them they leave you alone.

I don't kill Thargoids for the reward. It's the challenge and the game play that attracts me to it (Especially the scouts). Heck Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Starbuck and Apollo, they never got paid for saving the galaxy.

To Quote Bester from Babylon 5;-
'I mean, being a freedom fighter, a…a force for good, it's…it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, looks good on a resume, but the pay…sucks.'

Bester was, umm, the best. Fantastic character.

@IPFreely - I also kill thargoids for the fun/challenge of it. Gradually moving my way up the interceptor chain of command.

I reiterate the point I made several months ago - there is NO point to killing 'Goids - They just respawn in the same systems they were killed - So why bother if you cannot clear a system of them ? -
Things changed since months ago, incursions can be cleared (and are, now rather systematically, a couple of days after they begin) and pending incursions can be prevented from becoming incursions, although it's not easy due to low nhss spawn rates.

I reiterate the point I made several months ago - there is NO point to killing 'Goids - They just respawn in the same systems they were killed - So why bother if you cannot clear a system of them ? - No sense of accomplishment for killing them - The rewards are not rich enough for me to bother trying - Why risk a 30 million + ship for a 2 million bounty ? - When other sources and higher bounties abound with less than half the risk ? - They won't bother you in supercruise and as long as you don't aggravate them they leave you alone.
Wrong on 1 point, you can clear a system (with the help of others), as per Redden Alt-Mer's answer.
Clearing infested systems though is exceedingly hard, I personally have not heard of it being done, but many systems in an incursion state have been cleared (e.g all of last weeks were).

If your rebuy is 30 million, then if properly armed & armoured you're likely not taking a big risk against at least the lower rank interceptors (& you can always high wake out).
Or just use a smaller cheaper ship, this is my Krait mk2 AX ship the Thunder Child, much less than a 30 million rebuy! ;).
I'm finally getting better at fighting the interceptors (I don't bother with tougher than Cyclops for solo), my last solo battle (which was the best I've done so far) I came out with 63% hull, & no module below ~85%.
For the record, I hate fighting scouts, their bloody caustic missiles really get on my nerves!!

Because danger is the universal Thargoid hunters middle name of choice. Imo.

o7

Recently NHSS are appearing in Incursion systems (as well as the AX CZ), so presumably they will count towards saving the system. Also the Thargoid Massacre missions have been back in the rescue ships, along with Salvage missions!

Targets this week

Incursions (AX CZ) : Just check galnet 2nd post ;)

Infestations (NHSS):
As per Eagle Eye (below), plus more in the Incursion systems

Eagle Eye
ee1 kharwa
ee2 ariatia
ee3 ngobe
ee4 kungantju
ee5 t'ien mu
ee6 nauni

Warning: Try and not be in the Infested / Incursion systems on Thargsday for the server restart - CMDRs have reported CtD issues otherwise.

Notes:
  • Incursions are listed in the 2nd Galnet article (in-game only) and dynamically update through the week (they start at 'massive thargoid presence' and are beaten when we reach 'no thargoid presence'.)
  • Thargoids first Infest a system (this has now been hidden), if the Infection is not fought then they begin an Incursion, and we lose stations until the incursion is repelled.
  • Incursed systems can be seen in the Galmap left panel. Sometimes the system also switches allegiance to the Thargoids (not always). It's worth checking a system is still Incursed before travel (in the 2nd Galnet post), as they change through the week. Sometimes the Galmap does not show the correct states, but systems targeted by Eagle Eye should still be targets. Unless that is broken ...
  • There is a galmap filter to help find Incursion systems
  • Incursion systems : fight in the AX CZ until they are listed in Galnet as 'No Thargoid Presence' :)
  • Thargoids can only attack space stations with 'L' landing pads, if a system has none of these then it is a lower priority.
  • Infested Systems : are saved by kills in the target systems- each kill counts the same, so a Scout is as useful as an Interceptor. Bonds do not matter. They only update state once a day, just after the BGS tick.
  • You can also find NHSS all over the Pleiades - within about 166 Ly of Merope, but it won't help save any systems.
  • And you can get (sometimes bugged) missions from the Aegis megaships / Rescue Ships to kill Thargoids, but they also don't count to save systems unless the destination system for the mission is also a target this week.
  • Infested Targets are found by decoding the aegis Eagle Eye system https://canonn.science/codex/eagle-eye-installations/
  • Decoding Eagle Eye is now simpler - use this decoder and type in the phonetic letters called out by the eagle eye unregistered comms beacons - this gives the target system

I've been ranking up an alt recently fighting scouts. I am operating under the assumption that just killing scouts, not completeing the mission obectives, or flying in bugged instances that only spawn scouts does not advance the clearance state objective (i.e. getting out of incursion). Is this correct?

I am operating under the assumption that just killing scouts, not completeing the mission obectives, or flying in bugged instances that only spawn scouts does not advance the clearance state objective (i.e. getting out of incursion). Is this correct?
Killing scouts should be helping clear incursions. It's not all about 'winning the CZ' AFAIK

One more interdiction, just one more, I swear.
Go on, I double dare ya! :mad:

:LOL:
Yea, I know exactly what you mean! Bloody system security! Why the hell don't they do something useful like fight the Thargoids!
I haven't lost it yet with them, bar a ramming of a conda til it's shields were low, but like you say, just 1 more!!

So maybe we're grinding them down by over-consumption? Lol
You'd think they'd protect their barnacles if they were that important....

Oo.
Jataya has an AX CZ in a belt cluster.
I wonder how the Thargoids will cope. :unsure:
They seem to cope just fine :), as I guess you found out too, I was there last night as well (surprised I didn't see you, is your cmdr name totally different?), I started off in there with a cmdr with a Corvette & we made quick work of the 1st Cyclops & was making quick work of the 2nd, but then he was having lag issues (as I did later on, which rarely happens here) & he ended up being disconnected, I just managed to finish off that 2nd Cyclops before the remaining 2 Basilisks targeted me & took out what was left of my shields! So yea, we had 4 interceptors too!😮.
Actually, later on I had 5 interceptors!! But that instance was bugged & my 2 wing mates couldn't see them.
Sorry to hear you slammed into an asteroid! lol, somehow I didn't hit any ;).

Last edited:
Clearing infested systems though is exceedingly hard, I personally have not heard of it being done, but many systems in an incursion state have been cleared (e.g all of last weeks were)
Some moths ago, infestations were cleared on a regular basis. As this does not fit FDevs idea of progress in this war, they increase the threshholds (apparently) for clearing a system. Also, previously, infested systems had a status marker on the GalMap which went away after clearing the system. With one update, this status marker vanished and FDev later said, that it was never meant to be shown on the Map.
So, without any means to monitor our progress and no confirmation, that a system is cleared (except the disappearance of NHSS, which is buggy) and the higher limits, clearing infestations became a chore and is only worked for, if there is nothing else to fight.

Kharwa seems to have a decent amount of NHSS, i can take care of scouts, but interceptors are still too much for my crusader.

Kharwa seems to have a decent amount of NHSS, i can take care of scouts, but interceptors are still too much for my crusader.
I'm nearly getting a Cyclops done in my FAS, keep getting Wrecked by Thargons. :D(y)

Edit: And now I've been taken out by a mega ship. Heh. :D

Last edited:
Some moths ago, infestations were cleared on a regular basis. As this does not fit FDevs idea of progress in this war, they increase the threshholds (apparently) for clearing a system. Also, previously, infested systems had a status marker on the GalMap which went away after clearing the system. With one update, this status marker vanished and FDev later said, that it was never meant to be shown on the Map.
So, without any means to monitor our progress and no confirmation, that a system is cleared (except the disappearance of NHSS, which is buggy) and the higher limits, clearing infestations became a chore and is only worked for, if there is nothing else to fight.
Yea I remember the galmap infested tag (absolutely daft they got rid of that!), but I had forgotten until you mentioned it that NHSSs were sometimes being cleared then (y).

Top Bottom