Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Exploration feels pointless to me though, as everywhere you go there are always settlements, sentinels, crashed ships, etc. It feels like there's nothing new to find as everywhere is populated.

I feel like its exactly the same as elites, with a translation so that the ground based content is the space game from elite. It even has an fss, implemented correctly!

Everyone plays elite for different reasons and different things, but if you can identify at all with the journey of exploration, then planet based content is a pretty fierce showing for what it is.

Every unit of distance you travel on a planet is the same as every planet you fly to in elite on aggregate.

As an aside, last night on PS4 whilst in the Nexus, I had to turn multiplayer OFF. Was at the appearance modifier (thinking that if I'm going to be seen by other players, I may as well look good :LOL:) and another player basically came and stood right in front of me. Not their fault - they were just using it as I was - but I could see nothing.

Nexus is a lot quieter (and speedier) without people. ;)

Exploration feels pointless to me though, as everywhere you go there are always settlements, sentinels, crashed ships, etc. It feels like there's nothing new to find as everywhere is populated.

I think its much different now to what it was. Your right in saying that it didn't feel like you were the first one there, we've all said that before, it was one of the points NMS didn't do well at. There are many things NMS doesn't do well, but all video games are like that really. Just has to have enough of what you like to keep you playing.

I stick mainly to uncharted systems now, they are more likely to have nothing there, not even a space station in many. So it works well, you will get the odd ship flying around, pirate or whatever, but the sentinels are much less likely to pop up now, which is a good thing.
Some of the planets I've visited recently have been, as far as I could tell.. 'Barren' of all life. These are by far the planets I prefer. Before this update it was very hard to find anything that came close to Barren/lifeless. Now it seems, certainly in some uncharted systems, that we can feel really alone. Which is nice.

Regards collecting ships. I have a freighter full of ships I want to sell, but the game doesn't let you sell. So really its my own fault for getting them in the first place. I knew I would only stick with my lowly trader ship, its the type I prefer in the game, none of the others really interest me. I think I got them because I could, so think on players, don't bother if you think the ship you already have is better, stick with that, unless you fancy a fighter too. But I have my trader pimped up to deal with any pirate that comes along.. ;)

I really don't need the freighter never mind the other things. The game gave us these options and I fell for it, knowing full well, it isn't the way I play the game. So only myself to blame.

I play as a solitary trader/miner (should add to that explorer too), going from place to place. So really no point in bases, freighters, other ships, vehicles (maybe one) or anything like that.. Really I need my head looking at for wasting the credits on all those items.. ;)

Still, credits are very easy to come by, so no big loss.

Edit: Found a nice plant thought I would add the vid.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmTcvvwk-Y

Last edited:
The option is different now. Its add to your collection. The one you arrived in doesnt go away.

From looking this up myself just a moment ago, you cant sell ships at all, but you can trade them, and have a limit of 6 at a time. Im assuming when full the ship you arrive to collect the wreck in is lost as previous.

Except it does not.

I claimed one ship but i cannot order my old ship to come back.

They've surely improved the quality of the storms and extreme planets. I found a desert planet where sand storms basically made it almost impossible to see where to land.
I've been searching for the perfect ELW but found a stormy desert planet instead. I'm almost tempted to build a base here, because it's just so very cool in a scary way. I think I'll name this planet Ceti Alpha V :D

I've now tried this game I believe half a dozen times. I mean new games. When it first came out I was quite happy with what it was - a simple indie game - but critical of the lies in the leadup to release.

Now I keep returning to it, to see if the substantial (admittedly) changes they keep adding make the game ... fun?

No. Not for me. I mean I had an original save from the original release where I probably had 20hours in, I've a few saves over the years at various depths into the game, and my latest one I've a base in a quite lovely location that I wanted to expand on. But I stopped because I'm just not tuned to minecrafty games, just not my thing, I cant eek fun out of it. It's definitely me, not the game, in that sense.

I have a lenovo VR headset, and it works fine. Hate using VR controllers, so that's that. And to completely kill me interest in getting back into it even on flat mode, now I have to &%@ing join all my base items together with &%@ing wire and a power supply that runs for a few minutes??

Okay.

Thats pretty much my experience exactly. I keep trying it every update but give up after a few hours. VR was the big gamechanger for me, but them failing to get gamepads working on PC is a dealbreaker again. By now I am 95% confident NMS goes to the 'oh well, you cant win them all' pile. I am sure it now genuinely is a wonderful game for many, but no game can be for everyone. :)

That is a great thing about NMS, the planets that so many think are all the same, are very much 'not the same'. Of course you have to visit more than a few to understand that, but as seen there in your pic, these extreme planets are different and indeed the best type.
Great pic.
Yeah. I've been to many planets in the past, but they've must have improved the extremes, which I like... a lot.

One thing they could add to the storms is maybe pieces of plants and such flying around too. Being pulled from the ground etc.

The option is different now. Its add to your collection. The one you arrived in doesnt go away.

From looking this up myself just a moment ago, you cant sell ships at all, but you can trade them, and have a limit of 6 at a time. Im assuming when full the ship you arrive to collect the wreck in is lost as previous.
Doesn't seem to be working correctly for wrecks. You can buy ships and add to the collection, but you can't add a wreck. It only replaces your current one. I tried twice and the old ship is unusable and can't be called either.

Doesn't seem to be working correctly for wrecks. You can buy ships and add to the collection, but you can't add a wreck. It only replaces your current one. I tried twice and the old ship is unusable and can't be called either.

Worked for me on pc, i tried it today. Didn't replace my original ship.

There seems to be an exploit too where after you trade it in, the old ship sits there and remains unclaimed, so you can do this over and over, but that's more of a hinderance unless you salvaged a really expensive ship it seems...

I've been searching for the perfect ELW but found a stormy desert planet instead. I'm almost tempted to build a base here, because it's just so very cool in a scary way. I think I'll name this planet Ceti Alpha V:D
I wish I hadn't uploaded my planet already because "Noveria" would've been perfect name.

Except it does not.

I claimed one ship but i cannot order my old ship to come back.
It's either a bug or you need Navigation Data to summon it? I had a similar situation where I claimed the crashed ship and the old one stopped being accessible at all. Couldn't get into it, couldn't see it in summon menu. NADA. Reloaded save.

I lost my ship when I claimed one during the story line. Almost all of my materials were on the ship that I lost, and the ship I'd claimed was completely broken and non functioning, and to top it all off, the planet was undergoing a permanent radiation storm that could sap my hazard protection in about 30 seconds or so. That was the one and only time that I've actually felt some tension in the game and it was absolutely delicious. Wish there were more situations like that sprinkled throughout the galaxy and story.

Top Bottom