ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Maybe just wishful thinking but anyone else think the role based 'support' function may be a (possibly detachable) front section of the carrier itself? You buy the main (base) ship storage section, attach an upgradable engine section at the back and the swappable role based section at the front. Potential for adding cargo (in addition to ship) storage units in the mid section in the future.

Maybe just wishful thinking but anyone else think the role based 'support' function may be a (possibly detachable) front section of the carrier itself? You buy the main (base) ship storage section, attach an upgradable engine section at the back and the swappable role based section at the front. Potential for adding cargo (in addition to ship) storage units in the mid section in the future.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Looking at the screen shots in Paige's first post in the thread it appears the FC is indeed modular, consisting of a command section, an operations section and a flight deck section. It may be that the command section is dockable with either the flight deck or operations module or all three together. From those screen shots it is even possible that the capital class drive is also detachable and a separate module in itself.

There are some fun implications for this. Perhaps all the modules bar the capital class drive are capable of standard FSD jumps. Perhaps it's possible to own multiple operations sections and switch between them as needed. Imagine having 8 operations modules parked around your home station.

I'm starting to get giddy with the possibilities. :D

This is sad but true. No man's sky had capitol/fleet carriers for a while now. I feel that elite is just trying to play catch up at this point. Other things elite needs that No man's sky already has include space legs, atmospheric landings and base building. No Man's Sky has what elite don't. And when ever elite does release what little content they do, we praise it like the coming of christ because of how starved for content we all are.
You're correct imo. The difference is that FDev will implement FCs in such a way as to make owning and running one so onerous that most people won't bother, even if many of us already have the billions to buy and equip such a vessel/ship/station/whatever this thing is supposed to be.

Would rather they spent their time developing the promised but undelivered ice planets and also add atmo planets.

To be frank, i see no usefulness in having a fleet carrier that requires a weeks worth of grinding in order to make just one jump...which, knowing FDev, is exactly what will be required.

To be frank, i see no usefulness in having a fleet carrier that requires a weeks worth of grinding in order to make just one jump...which, knowing FDev, is exactly what will be required.

So you make something up, believe it, and then get angry because it's your truth!
And I thought I was negative!

I've seen no figures of fuelling apart from a specific resource, if it's too difficult then players will drift away, FDev will have to look after those it has.

So you make something up, believe it, and then get angry because it's your truth!
And I thought I was negative!

I've seen no figures of fuelling apart from a specific resource, if it's too difficult then players will drift away, FDev will have to look after those it has.
Haven't made anything up; just expressing an opinion based on 3 years of experience with ED updates/new features.

In any case, what's it to do with you what I think? You could have just said, politely, "I don't agree."

It is easier to be negative and annoyed over something one has yet to be described properly - a self-defense mechanism to avoid disappointment maybe?

As for me, whatever the FC brings to the table, and from the announcement it does seem to be considerable, I'll just enjoy the opportunity to take it all on board and make my own fun from it...

In what way does this sense of group ownership prevent the Squadron Leader kicking every other member and denying them both access and control of the Squadron?
That’s my point.
Groups should not be designed to be the PROPERTY of one person.

Groups are a collective effort.

My point is that it is a failure of vision to enforce the single owner paradigm on all groups.

Sure it might work for some.
For example
Viktore Beskore always goes on about how Earth Defense Fleet is “his” squadron, but the reality is that there are other people who are more important in terms of strategy, direction, operation and diplomacy.
The relevance and importance of EDF has little to do with Viktore. Their achievements are not his to claim.

Likewise there are many anarchy groups and of course everyone is equal at Communism Interstellar.

My point is that single point of ownership of a group is not useful to large organisations.

No one should be able to kick everyone out of a group. It should be that when you make a group- You are a member not an owner.

So is the "ownership" and "operations" jpegs showing the modifiable support ship?
I too think that.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Looking at the screen shots in Paige's first post in the thread it appears the FC is indeed modular, consisting of a command section, an operations section and a flight deck section. It may be that the command section is dockable with either the flight deck or operations module or all three together. From those screen shots it is even possible that the capital class drive is also detachable and a separate module in itself.

There are some fun implications for this. Perhaps all the modules bar the capital class drive are capable of standard FSD jumps. Perhaps it's possible to own multiple operations sections and switch between them as needed. Imagine having 8 operations modules parked around your home station.

I'm starting to get giddy with the possibilities. :D
Trying to keep my expectations in check but if they did go this route the possibilities for linking in to current gameplay and future expansion and progression would look good 👍

Trying to keep my expectations in check but if they did go this route the possibilities for linking in to current gameplay and future expansion and progression would look good 👍
EC0tzoRXUAQdnQN

That’s my point.
Groups should not be designed to be the PROPERTY of one person.

Groups are a collective effort.

My point is that it is a failure of vision to enforce the single owner paradigm on all groups.

Sure it might work for some.
For example
Viktore Beskore always goes on about how Earth Defense Fleet is “his” squadron, but the reality is that there are other people who are more important in terms of strategy, direction, operation and diplomacy.
The relevance and importance of EDF has little to do with Viktore. Their achievements are not his to claim.

Likewise there are many anarchy groups and of course everyone is equal at Communism Interstellar.

My point is that single point of ownership of a group is not useful to large organisations.

No one should be able to kick everyone out of a group. It should be that when you make a group- You are a member not an owner.
I'm afraid every game I've seen with guilds, fellowships or whatever has a guy at the top who can kick anyone, then a layer of officers who can kick those below them, etc.

My questions
1. Will npcs land at my carrier
2. can I deny a npc landing If he is of a faction I am aganst
3. If I set one up for mining can npcs buy the ore I have collected
4. Is owning one a step towards my becoming a corperation
5. can I choose between Male or Female voice in the flight tower, and can I choose to be welcoming or guarded with the responses.
6. can I control the turrets if any on board to deal with loltering infractions
The list goes on but I will stop here thanks Fdev. But I am still on the fence with this one.

Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
And how much is "a large amount of credits"?

How about the posibility of smaller Fleet Carrier, capable of carrying just a few our own ships (say... 1x Medium Bay, 2x Small Bay) to places? Also giving it a shorter jump range, and a cheaper price would be really nice.

Does anyone know how maintenance will be handled? Presumably they'll need it.

Lots of questions, lots of wishful thinking, precious little information. Another ED update...........

Last edited:
exciting news :cool:

tinfoil on
  • 1 FC per instance - makes sense, if more than one carrier in system just the same as with other capital ships as well, just spattered around the different orbits in a system
  • Navigation: select target system in Galmap, if explored system, change to Sysmap and select target body - execute jump. In unknown systems FC will go in orbit around main body
  • as these are PERSONAL FC and you have to give landing permissions to Your friends (Group, Squad whatever), NPC will not land on Your carrier - maybe loitering around though
  • support ships are exactly that - support: storage for miners/traders; Hospitals for SAR; Fuel-Depot for Explorer etc.
Interaction with these via the usual (modified) Station screen - Mining/Trade will have Market, Interstellar Factors etc.; Explorer will have UC; Combat will have Interstellar and Mercenary Contact.....
- for the Fuel my best guess is something like Helium3 to be mined in the Asteroid Rings (or Boron, as it already is in the Raw-Commodities but not used yet?)

tinfoil off

Does anyone know how maintenance will be handled? Presumably they'll need it.

Lots of questions, lots of wishful thinking, precious little information. Another ED update...........

Good question. Given that, what about maintenance on FC for explorers out in the black for months perhaps a year or more? Some sort of mechanical attrition forcing you back to a "base" of some sort for non-field repairs?

Also for exploration use, without the ability to jump multiple times amounting to several thousand LY's without refuel is pretty useless. Please Fdev, don't make the fuel too onerous to perform out in the black.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom