Do "purple-haired heroes" scare everyone into Solo?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
They are still too specific, too piecemeal, and not where most will see it. That they also often aren't reflected in how the game actually appears to work is another problem.
That's a fair point - digging up relevant quotes was difficult enough even before the forum migration lost many "go to" threads.
This is true, but again, Frontier has generally said that this is intentional and that all the modes are supposed to be equal, without really explaining why...unless I've missed those posts (such a 'mission statement' sort of thing should be the first page in the game's manual).
Frontier set out their stall at the beginning of the Kickstarter - their vision for the single player game was and remains that every player experiences and affects the single shared galaxy state:

The Background Simulation (BGS) is a representation of how the actions of all players, no matter on which platform or mode, impact the galaxy. The factions that inhabit these system battle for influence over the population and control of the starports, installations and outposts. Player actions can push these factions into various states; such as economy, security, health and influence. With concerted effort players can help grow a faction's economy, destroy its security status, or help win a war.

They are still too specific, too piecemeal, and not where most will see it. That they also often aren't reflected in how the game actually appears to work is another problem.

This is true, but again, Frontier has generally said that this is intentional and that all the modes are supposed to be equal, without really explaining why...unless I've missed those posts (such a 'mission statement' sort of thing should be the first page in the game's manual).

Maybe they don;t feel the need to spell out directly, what you can see functionally. Saying that PvP is not important to the game, would make those enthused about PvP angry, and possibly not consider buying the game. Just as them saying PvP should dictate game play would drive off those players not interested in PvP. Much of what E|D is has to be discovered through playing it. I believe that if people just accept the reality of the game, we could get past this circular, by design, conversation.

This is true, but again, Frontier has generally said that this is intentional and that all the modes are supposed to be equal, without really explaining why...

well, if you want to appeal to an audience so varied that it includes even opposing extremes of the spectrum you got to be creative with ambiguity ...

(such a 'mission statement' sort of thing should be the first page in the game's manual)

... and never ever do that! 😂

It's the elephant in the room. The game environment which proves most popular in other MMOs and ED doesn't yet offer.
I would be a big Open PvE supporter, if it weren't for the fact it would rely on PvP flags or such convolutions. In my Elite Universe, when you shoot at something, it takes damage. In that regard I wouldn't know how to implement an Open PvE mode without seriously tampering with the Elite Universe.

I would be a big Open PvE supporter, if it weren't for the fact it would rely on PvP flags or such convolutions. In my Elite Universe, when you shoot at something, it takes damage. In that regard I wouldn't know how to implement an Open PvE mode without seriously tampering with the Elite Universe.
Smart rounds - they are already in the game.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Smart rounds - they are already in the game.
.... and remove the menu exit delay if the "In Danger" flag is due to another player - or implement a "shift to new instance" feature whereby the player could absent themselves from the instance holding the player with whom they are at odds rather than leaving the game.

Basically a form of the Private Group "rules" (for PvE PGs) I proposed a while ago:

For PvP:
  • Enable mass-lock delay on hyper-jumps if due to player ship? [yes/no]
  • Increase menu exit delay if "in danger" determination includes player attack? [yes/no]
  • Disable menu exit option if "in danger" determination includes player attack? [yes/no]
  • Disable weapon healing effects? [yes/no]
  • Disable premium ammunition? [yes/no]
  • Disable Shield Cell Boosters? [yes/no]
  • Lost connection while "in danger" due to player attack results in destruction / rebuy? [yes/no]

For PvE:
  • Disable player / player interdiction? [yes/no]
  • Disable player / player wake following? [yes/no]
  • Disable player / player wake dropping? [yes/no]
  • Kick player on attacking another player and move attacking player to a Solo instance? [yes/no]
  • Kick player on destroying another player and move attacking player to a Solo instance? [yes/no]
  • Remove menu exit delay if "in danger" flag was only set due to player attack? [yes/no]

For all play-styles:
  • Move player to another instance after a period of inactivity on a landing pad.

How would that work w.r.t. Open PvE?
All members of the Pilot's Federation are equipped with Friend-or-Foe beacons (in PvE Open) that work like smart rounds, prevented the targeting and firing of weapons against other CMDRs. Things like dumb fire missiles would explode before hitting a friendly. Easy! Tomb Raider prevents me from targeting and shooting friendlies, so it's a tried and true gameplay mechanism.

Ramming could just be "ignored", in that it doesn't do damage. I supposed it could still be used for annoyance, but that's where the block feature comes in.

All members of the Pilot's Federation are equipped with Friend-or-Foe beacons (in PvE Open) that work like smart rounds, prevented the targeting and firing of weapons against other CMDRs. Things like dumb fire missiles would explode before hitting a friendly. Easy! Tomb Raider prevents me from targeting and shooting friendlies, so it's a tried and true gameplay mechanism.

Ramming could just be "ignored", in that it doesn't do damage. I supposed it could still be used for annoyance, but that's where the block feature comes in.

Add a boing noise to ramming and force shell effect based on ship mass and we could play comedy space dogems.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Rookie numbers for a Hotel California thread.... ;)

Rookie numbers for a Hotel California thread.... ;)
But this ones only a few weeks old !

Top Bottom