Thargoid Attacks: Where, When and What you can do about it

Months ago I proposed that rescues could reduce the commodities needed afterwards as well as giving those doing rescues targets to aim at, or at least give us some indication that they were doing something. AX have conflict zones to defeat, repairs have targets to deliver but rescues have nothing to indicate their effect at all. It was completely ignored.
As far as we're aware it used to work that way. Theres an accepted bug logged for it here https://issues.frontierstore.net/#!/issue-detail/163 but its been broken for over a year now.

Greetings Commanders,

We have noticed some confusion around the most recent Thargoid Incursions and when they were suppose to appear. Typically (but not always), Eagle Eyes will alert players to potential Thargoid Incursion targets, warning commanders of a potential incoming threat. These signals follow Thargoid movements, and attempt to decipher where the Thargoids will strike next. In most cases, these attacks usually happen one week after new Eagle Eye signals appear. However, as we saw in Monday's GalNet article, sometimes these attacks can come as a surprise and not always in a week's time.

We hope that clarifies any confusion around the most recent Incursions. Good luck, and keep up the fight against these encroachers!
If you're going to do this PLEASE stop attacking the same starports, Cyllene is on the 4th repair and out of those 4 repairs 2 of them have had no warning and 3 have had no story impact. Things like the initial surprise Witch Head attacks where there was a strong story reason for them and it was new were good but random unstoppable attacks in the Pleiades are just frustrating for everyone involved.

Its not the size of the carrot its having to drag it to and from the station twenty to thirty times per required material even in a 700 cargo capacity cutter, one damaged station is a huge task even for a PMF. A solo player would probably need months unless they really did some grinding.

You go from exciting dog fighting against the evil tharguloptic menace to bravely pulling the refugee's out of a burning station to repetitive delivery of umpteen loads of the same old poop from and to the same old places, which frankly is less fun for non-space truckers.

Lower the amounts needed a bit.
Is that... criticism? It's not perfect? Stigbob?
Bookmarking this for future use.

As far as we're aware it used to work that way. Theres an accepted bug logged for it here https://issues.frontierstore.net/#!/issue-detail/163 but its been broken for over a year now.

I've heard both that it has an effect and that it hasn't and there are no hard and fast figures on it so there's only someone's word for it that it ever had an effect in the first place. IDA once posted that in some cases it seemed to have an effect but also admitted that the results were within accepted levels of variance, so it was inconclusive.

In any case, rescues have never had targets like repairs or AX so it's null and void if we still can't see our progress anywhere. Any effect it has or has not comes from interpretation of perceived results as opposed to actual hard data.

Last edited:
I've heard both that it has an effect and that it hasn't and there are no hard and fast figures on it so there's only someone's word for it that it ever had an effect in the first place. In any case, rescues have never had targets like repairs or AX so it's null and void if we still can't see our progress anywhere. Any effect it has or has not comes from guesswork, not facts.
Back during the initial attacks on Aegis Labs (so pre infestation/incursion) there were claims from trustworthy people that a station was taken out of Evac state early due to it being heavily focused. This has been broken for sure. As for repair commodities, the fact that Fdev marked the ticket as accepted instead of as not a bug suggests that they are supposed to have an impact in that regard.

Back during the initial attacks on Aegis Labs (so pre infestation/incursion) there were claims from trustworthy people that a station was taken out of Evac state early due to it being heavily focused. This has been broken for sure. As for repair commodities, the fact that Fdev marked the ticket as accepted instead of as not a bug suggests that they are supposed to have an impact in that regard.

Exactly my point. "Suggests". I don't doubt it had an effect once and was broken and never fixed, but even then there were no actual targets for rescues to see their progress. Even a statement such as "every 1000 passengers you rescue reduces the commodities needed for repairs afterwards by 100 tons" would give us a benchmark, but there has never been any such indicator, so I stand by my statement that any conclusions have come from guesswork and interpretation through observation rather than from hard data. Therefore, while I don't doubt your word it doesn't move us closer to an answer either.

Never heard of an evac finishing early but that would certainly be another indicator. Even then I bet people still didn't know exactly what was needed and just kept going till they made it happen. And that's the point. We ask for information and just get blanked, not even an acknowledgement of our query from the devs or community managers. To me that's not just ignorant, it's actually rude.

Exactly my point. "Suggests". I don't doubt it had an effect once and was broken and never fixed, but even then there were no actual targets for rescues to see their progress. Even a statement such as "every 1000 passengers you rescue reduces the commodities needed for repairs afterwards by 100 tons" would give us a benchmark, but there has never been any such indicator, so I stand by my statement that any conclusions have come from guesswork and interpretation through observation rather than from hard data. Therefore, while I don't doubt your word it doesn't move us closer to an answer either.

Never heard of an evac finishing early but that would certainly be another indicator. Even then I bet people still didn't know exactly what was needed and just kept going till they made it happen. And that's the point. We ask for information and just get blanked, not even an acknowledgement of our query from the devs or community managers. To me that's not just ignorant, it's actually rude.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The system does not currently contribute to much, we know this because its been exhaustively tested by both us in Operation Ida and Canonn over the last few years. You can look at our spreadsheets to prove that it currently has no effect, that is hard data. Fdev have accepted the bug as a bug so getting upset at pointing this out instead of actually voting on it is bizarre and counterproductive. It feels like you're attacking a strawman of me wanting to defend fdev for this instead of me just wanting people to vote on the bug so that it gets fixed.

Also your claim about AX having targets and progress bars is a flat out lie. For infestations all AXI know is that a system is targeted, sometimes they don't even get that.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The system does not currently contribute to much, we know this because its been exhaustively tested by both us in Operation Ida and Canonn over the last few years. You can look at our spreadsheets to prove that it currently has no effect, that is hard data. Fdev have accepted the bug as a bug so getting upset at pointing this out instead of actually voting on it is bizarre and counterproductive. It feels like you're attacking a strawman of me wanting to defend fdev for this instead of me just wanting people to vote on the bug so that it gets fixed.

Also your claim about AX having targets and progress bars is a flat out lie. For infestations all AXI know is that a system is targeted, sometimes they don't even get that.

You're not sure what I am trying to say but you are sure I am attacking you? Sorry you feel that way but it is not the case.

I do not understand how stating that I would prefer hard evidence to anecdotal evidence is attacking you in any way, or how pointing out the difference between them is attacking you either. It isn't. The only thing I am attacking the devs for is consistently ignoring our queries which I would say of anyone who doesn't even acknowledge that somebody asked a question. You've got the wrong end of the stick if you think I am attacking you for anything at all or think I am asking you to stick up for the devs. I am doing neither.

With Infestations I know the AX guys get no targets and think there should be some. However, that was not the topic at hand. I was specifically talking about Incursions involving burning stations. AX groups do have targets of a kind because they know that when the AX Conflict Zones are gone the Incursion stops and the system returns to one of the more normal states - none, boom, etc. Also at this time the mission boards on rescue ships close down and only the passenger boards stay open until Thursday when the station stops burning and goes into a state of repair. It's tangible evidence that their efforts have achieved something. I don't see the need to make an argument out of that either. It is not a "flat out lie" to say so, it simply happens and is something that can be verified. In fact it's one of the few things that can be reliably shown to happen every time.

I tried to Kamakazi ram a heart on a Hydra, at the Hive PS Birthday hunt. I'm not the best and as i was sort of representing AXI it seemed a worthy way to die, i was 4-5% hull and dying was quicker than run/repair.

What can i say, Panda said it would work.. Missed the bounty as well by about 10s, after full boosting into the inside of the station in my rush to get back in there🤷‍♂️

I still have no idea if it works, i got blowed the hell up to much hilarity😀*

*this is all on the PS, 12+ ppl, sort of worked as well, apart from the triple swarm, happy days!

o7

Does ramming affect Thargoids?
Ramming definitely damages their shields, it's actually a valid strategy to reduce the fighting time.

About their hull, they have something like 99.99% resistance to non-AX weapons. It's way too hard and impractical to test the actual number but we know it's not 100%. So technically ramming might damage their hull but it won't be any sensible amount.

New incursions are up in galnet - only 3 so looks like the others were deterred (y)

1579769284824.png

Last edited:
Oh no, tht's the third Alliance station burning/under repair in the Witch head :mad:! Ezra was a very frequented port and base of operation in the region. Very bad signal source placement did not help to save it in advance, unfortunately ....

Top Bottom