And the Martian Fossils and the Martian Relic...who knows if that was a 'light cube map' like we see in sci-fi all the time - PURE SPECULATION but nothing is black and white all the time when the story can go in any direction. Interestingly in that latest posted video I think I was, MB says they had a totally different long term plan for Jacques Station but players moved the storyline. Martian Relic discovered 2280, 18 years to decode and analyse and some people hear about its 'legendary' map to Raxxla, 'May as well go find Raxxla while we're at it!'.

Before ED that 2296 wasn't in lore I don't think though, we just knew Alex father had gone looking for it and returned to kit out an explo ship, maybe it is significant for some reason. Don't think there were dates included (may be now with retconned lore and books).

the martian relic, if it was of any importance information wise, would have been kept secret ...otherwise it would be common knowledge as it's not like the discoverers would have released news that "we found a relic" and not ever include the full details of that relic to the rest of Sol. So since everyone didn't have details about this map ...it stands to reason that it wasn't one.

edit: i see that it was kept secret in the current official timeline for ED. so ...interesting ... Also the note of raxxla being known in 2296 was retconned. In fact, all mention of raxxla in the official timeline seems to be retconned out.

Last edited:
There is no third party at this time. There's just Sol and the new colony on tau ceti.

edit: the only way your theory would work is if raxxla was entirely fabricated ...and then something was discovered later and adopted the name. Which is unlikely ...but i suppose if you widen your net of plausibility to infinity...anything is possible. Of course when it comes to what is actually going on in this game, retcons retcons retcons will spontaneously appear wherever fdev has contridicted themselves if it turns out that raxxla isn't within 300ly of earth.

Tinfoil ENGAGED! Well, I've hypothesised many times that Raxxla is a Guardian ark ship, now covered by the space detritus of millena so it will appear to be a moon. It could have landed in Sol, led to the development of humanity (as a prey species? or as a Guardian species offshoot?), the Feds found it (following their discovery of the alien artefact on Mars; clue- Omphalos Stone was in greek myth a mechanism for communicating with the gods). Then Feds moved it into a stable orbit and engaged its cloaking device to hide it from the Thargoids (and TDW, and the rest of us, and I'm getting pretty fed up looking for it; this is supposed to be a game FD, played for amusement!!). :mad::cool:

Last edited:
Lyta Crane is at least an interesting name. It's anagrams contains several funny words, like Cat, Art and Lyre.

I dabbled a bit with the Lyre / Lyra / Lyra variety, because of Vega and stellar princesses and all that.

My best find is the Anagram: T Lyrae can.

T Lyare (HIP 90883 in ED) is a Binary system with a carbon main star. That would take care of T Lyrae a C (HIP 90883 a is a C class star) and just leave the N. I haven't scanned it, so I dont know if the star is actually a C-N class.
The N could also be a counter. As the 14 letter in the alphabet, it could point to the 14th planet: HIP 90883 A 2f. This is the 8th moon of the A 2 gas giant.

T Lyrae is also known as "The Jewel in the Harp": http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/tlyr.html

That name is sometimes applied to Vega, as well.

I haven't had the chance to visit and probably wan't for a few day. If anyone is close, you could take a look. 🌟

I like your thinking there H_Z! Lyra-> Eagle! Though it's a bit far out at 2350 LY!
If Lyta Crane is an anagram then other potential astronomical possibilites are:
CENT alyra
LAC ytrane
ANT clyrae
ARA lyecnt
CAE ntlyra
CAR ntlyae
CEN atlyra
CET lyraan
CRA nelyta
CRT anelya
LAC ytrane
LYN raecat
LYR aecant
RET cranlya
TEL yacran
TRA lycane

P.S. I forgot I hadn't checked halfway from Sol to Saturn at 2512ls. Done! Nowt!!
Getting utterly bored, Might head out to T Lyrae for a change of scene, it's a mere 40 jumps! o_O

Bored of Mu Leonis

Last edited:
the cube ..if it is a cube. sounds like it is a drone satellite like how some scientists believe we would best be able to send messages to other star systems if we are without ftl. You send a tiny satellite at relativistic speeds and it can reach another star system far earlier than anything large we can send... and we can send thousands upon thousands of them for relatively cheap.

They wouldn't be able to broadcast back to us but if anything intelligent found them, they could try contacting us.

Since it was deep under mars, it stands to reason that it could have been a probe like above sent by an alien race probably to many many systems found to have habitable planets. It crashed into mars accidentally and remained there until found. It was mentioned back when thargoid probes were discovered...implying that it could have been the first evidence of thargoids

Oh gods Ive swallowed my own tinfoil, get out, get out while you still can!

Not so long ago in a Galaxy not far away, our own in fact......In 2250s Fossils were discovered on Mars, a new science was born - Xenoarchaeology shortly followed by Xenobioscience. The government/club/Men In Black took over the site as a potential biohazard and bioweapons site. Xeno 'experts' arrived to study the site. Maybe a temporary bases was built. Ships were used to transport food and tools etc back and forth as well as taking specimens back to Earth.

Most ships were government controlled - space army or whatever - some were government contracted to provide food and supplies. All were sworn to secrecy.

At some point the planet is permit locked and only allows in certain pilots.

2280 As a result of these digs a new Martian relic is found. It shows something, maybe a Princess Leia 'Help Me Obi Wan Kinobi' hologram, maybe a Voyager style pictogram, maybe a noise, maybe just marks on the surface. Maybe some people just believe they can trace it back to source.

Some of the scientist et al think the writings/pictograms mean something, some think they are a message like Voyagers, some think its a map to somewhere, some think its the meaning of life, some think its just scratches. Some think it says Raxxla or decodes as Raxxla or will lead them to Raxxla.

Meanwhile the deliveries and cargo hauls keep coming and going. Crews hear about these finds, some accurate some made up stories, some speculation. One of these ships is the 'Unknown' delivering Cargo from Tau Ceti to Mars and back. One of their normal crew is Art Tornqvist, who works as a mechanic. He has heard many of the tales and speculation on the long trips back and forth to Tau Ceti. He has heard many many tales of space monsters, planets made of diamonds, will o' the wisp type stories at many of the space bars and Raxxla is just another of the same to him.

One day he has an argument with his partner, he records the event in his journal, he doesn't make clear if he actually says to the, 'Might as well go find Raxxla while we're at it' or if he just thinks this as a retort. Either way, he writes it down.

What happens next is unknown, Raxxla all but disappears from the history books for centuries, maybe people go looking for it, maybe they find it, maybe a battle for control breaks out and 2 or more 'sides' are fighting, maybe nobody finds it, it becomes a myth and legend, maybe it always was. Maybe some more facts or truths or information was discovered about what it was - Ompaholos Rift etc, maybe that was there from the start.

And nobody lived happily ever after because they wasted their lives looking for the darn thing without even knowing what it is they were looking for and spending half the time reading Wiki instead.

There is no third party at this time. There's just Sol and the new colony on tau ceti.

edit: the only way your theory would work is if raxxla was entirely fabricated ...and then something was discovered later and adopted the name. Which is unlikely ...but i suppose if you widen your net of plausibility to infinity...anything is possible. Of course when it comes to what is actually going on in this game, retcons retcons retcons will spontaneously appear wherever fdev has contridicted themselves if it turns out that raxxla isn't within 300ly of earth.
Or! As I've theorized before. Nobody had been to Raxxla back then, nor would have needed too. The legend began somewhere, and i think it is Guardian related. Thanks to the Codex, we now know to connect Halsey's "dreams" with Guardians. Since her dreams (lore wise) lead to the discovery of the first Guardian Ruins, that seems appropriate. IF Raxxla is Guardian related, it would stand to reason that they (or what ever) have been contacting humans this way for eons via dreams. Just as Halsey's showed the Guardian's past worlds, some of those earlier "Dream Contacts" could have showed some people Raxxla (possibly their current world), and they in turn spread the legend, and were the first to go out and look for it! Raxxla could be far from the bubble, and in this humble CMDR's opinion, is located in the system CD-3[DATA EXPUNGED].

Raxxla was Holdstocks idea, Thargoids DB & IB I think, Guardians DB or MB, The Club was DB idea as attributed by Drew Wagar and Drew invented the whole Exodus storyline I think.

No particular reason to mix them all up as being the same source or beings. Besides, Guardians weren't mentioned in 1984, Thargoids were a thing, no reason it cant be retconned but no real sign it has been.

So this is the first reference I've explicitly found where DB mentions the possibility of "If you get invited to join a Secret Organisation, that's something that can happen to lots of people...", and this premise is based on the "story of your life through the game, your progression" and "things will happen to you as you reach certain stages of the game".

Listen starting at ~8:20 in the video Elite: Dangerous has a story that "embraces all the players" - David Braben Interview (this link should start there):
Oct 13, 2014
Source: https://youtu.be/gDh9G1gDgMU?t=502

His throw away comment - "well maybe I did kill that policeman the other day, maybe I need to get my reputation a bit higher". In my reviewing of his interviews and logs I've noticed he doesn't really every say something off the cuff often, it's usually linked or planned (IMO).

This interview was a long time ago in the timing of Elite, but given his passion for this I strongly suspect it still holds true to the current game.

So play the way you want, enjoy all that's out there and perhaps you'll just get lucky one day.

Fly Dangerously!
/ Ra.

P.s. Watch till the end and have a laugh at ~13:10. :cool:

So "that story" on secret organization. Perhaps someone got the invitation and never told us. heh.
Nice flashback.

Funny thing is before he even mentions the part of the secret organization. He also mentions about being invited to do things. Which is the obvious random missions we get in comms, and also the random appearance of the Type-10's you run into in space.

So are they hints? Are we being directed to help certain factions?

How many organizations do we need to be allied with before we finally get that fabled invitation of the The Dark Wheel? For those that played this game for years it's hard to figure out how many factions we allied with. Most of us never keep track of this sort of information nor does it give us a number of allied factions we worked with.

So this is the first reference I've explicitly found where DB mentions the possibility of "If you get invited to join a Secret Organisation, that's something that can happen to lots of people...", and this premise is based on the "story of your life through the game, your progression" and "things will happen to you as you reach certain stages of the game".

Listen starting at ~8:20 in the video Elite: Dangerous has a story that "embraces all the players" - David Braben Interview (this link should start there):
Oct 13, 2014

His throw away comment - "well maybe I did kill that policeman the other day, maybe I need to get my reputation a bit higher". In my reviewing of his interviews and logs I've noticed he doesn't really every say something off the cuff often, it's usually linked or planned (IMO).

This interview was a long time ago in the timing of Elite, but given his passion for this I strongly suspect it still holds true to the current game.

So play the way you want, enjoy all that's out there and perhaps you'll just get lucky one day.

Fly Dangerously!
/ Ra.

Mmm, very interesting! Never come across this vid before, despite much googling around DB; wonder why it didn’t crop up. Will watch later, after shopping etc & before further exploring T Lycrae...
But reading the comments the bit about killing a policeman seems to me to imply that invitation to join secret organisation lies in your reputation, presumably with the right faction(s). Perhaps you have to become allied with all “layers” of TDW to get the invitation. 🧐

Oct 13, 2014

Fly Dangerously!
/ Ra.

Good find. Double plus rep Cmdr.

Honestly I feel this vid simply confirms the mechanic for unlocking permits through reputation gain, these are in essence secrect areas or societies.

Funny thing is before he even mentions the part of the secret organization. He also mentions about being invited to do things. Which is the obvious random missions we get in comms, and also the random appearance of the Type-10's you run into in space.

So are they hints? Are we being directed to help certain factions?

How many organizations do we need to be allied with before we finally get that fabled invitation of the The Dark Wheel? For those that played this game for years it's hard to figure out how many factions we allied with. Most of us never keep track of this sort of information nor does it give us a number of allied factions we worked with.
Perhaps Fdev meant for us to move from system to system once we've 'allied' with the local factions? With those T10's and tip offs nudging us to start doing that?

I bet they didn't quite count on human nature in wanting to settle down and make a particular location feel like home.

I seem to recall in one of the many vids I've recently combed that DB and/or MB were surprised people didn't move around more...or explored more of the galaxy. Something along those lines.

I guess you'll never become a member of a "a mythical, secretive organization comprised of exceptional adventurers, explorers, investigators" by staying in a single system. :cool:

Time to slow down the research and amp up the game time! (Well, when the Oz Open tennis finishes at least since it overlaps my usual game time!)

/ Ra.

Oct 13, 2014

Fly Dangerously!
/ Ra.

Great find!

Policeman = lack of rep meaning your friend got invited and you didnt and thats possibly why, thats straightforward enough, rep counts.

Rep = better missions and tip-offs so may be just referring to some of these.

Secret Organisation - Dark Wheel obviously stands out but yes Permits and maybe Engineers count as well. If 'lots of people get invited and you know you haven't been' how secret is it (reference to Sirius & Yoru ranks maybe)?

Top Bottom