Interiors, why?

The other option is that ships persist outside of stations for a while once the owner has menu logged. This would help in the main game too- to be truly 'safe' you must land in a station or be alone in an instance.
FD have said this won't work unless they change their server structure (which they could do of course). The way it stands now it is hard to tell who initiated a disconnect when 1 person leaves the game. This is not my wheelhouse btw so someone can correct me but as I understand it (genuine) griefers can force players out of an instance and make it look like THEY combat logged. That would really cheese me off if someone did that to me AND it left my ship (and more importantly my crew I spent many many hrs ) defense less.
** Actually I forgot crew is invincible now isn't it...... But then I hate that too ;) **

Ultimately though I think PvP boarding will be largly pointless, PvE boarding with compelling story related reasons is how I imagine it would be most fun.
I'd prefer pvp if it meant only stripping shields then tethering to them to board (then finishing the fight in fps).

Problem is those shields...

Pvp in ED is . So you're probably right.

Definitely right about that last part though.

FD have said this won't work unless they change their server structure (which they could do of course). The way it stands now it is hard to tell who initiated a disconnect when 1 person leaves the game. This is not my wheelhouse btw so someone can correct me but as I understand it (genuine) griefers can force players out of an instance and make it look like THEY combat logged. That would really cheese me off if someone did that to me AND it left my ship (and more importantly my crew I spent many many hrs ) defense less.
** Actually I forgot crew is invincible now isn't it...... But then I hate that too ;) **

Interesting stuff. Then it would come down to the timer- if you menu log then the time either increases if you are being shot or is instant if you are alone / landed in station / secure area. That, or allow PvP raids on FCs perhaps.

Btw I will say 1 thing.... Unless FD block it to stop us doing this....... the second I think there is a chance I may lose if I am being boarded I will self destruct my ship ;)

I'd prefer pvp if it meant only stripping shields then tethering to them to board (then finishing the fight in fps).

Problem is those shields...

Pvp in ED is . So you're probably right.

Definitely right about that last part though.

In the past I've been an advocate of FD fleshing out criminal/piracy career....amongst my thoughts were non lethal disabling tech. Designed to disable shields and communications on both ships (and importantly weapons). So no system security. That could make for some interesting PvP boarding gameplay. I'd like the option of "traps", especially the "wait till the pirates have boarded then use escape pod and remote detonate ship!" ;)

Btw I will say 1 thing.... Unless FD block it to stop us doing this....... the second I think there is a chance I may lose if I am being boarded I will self destruct my ship ;)

No that ADDS to the gameplay!! As I say above! That would stop mindless ganking.....or that the pirate will have to find the auto destruct and try and dsiable it?

edit I'm sorry WHAT was I thinking that anything could possible stop mindless ganking! D'oh!

I think that's absolutely fine. You can do that now right?

I'd add that if the pirate wants to steal it for selling ship bonds that they'd still get to do that. They'd just take you out and hack the ship, cancelling the self destruct and sending you to the rebuy.

But if you can delay them?

Valid tactic ;)

In the past I've been an advocate of FD fleshing out criminal/piracy career....amongst my thoughts were non lethal disabling tech. Designed to disable shields and communications on both ships (and importantly weapons). So no system security. That could make for some interesting PvP boarding gameplay. I'd like the option of "traps", especially the "wait till the pirates have boarded then use escape pod and remote detonate ship!" ;)

ooh quoting my own post..there's a first!

Player is then in an escape pod and call the "rescue rats" for help?!!

I just want to add this... I don't know if you've got a lot of experience playing fps games? I do and one major element that's consistent is defending players can get large benefits, often having all the cards compared to aggressors.

I see no reason why that should be different here. The weight of balance should be heavily tipped in favour of the target ship.

Understood, but the risk is with these new areas of the game - if we park the FPS aspects - is walking around ships and stations risks being a possibly very large development effort not only initially, but then going forwards too (ie: future developments may need to cater for it too). And if the risk is, like the misjudged Multicrew, these new developments prove of little interest/purpose/engagement to the vast majority of the community, are they a wise way to invest that development time.

Maybe I'm wrong, and walking around ships, and walking around stations, will not be a two hour novelty for the majority of the community. Maybe it's something you'll do regularly. And/or, maybe it's not a significant amount of development time, and it's only taking a small amount. Who knows at the moment... But put me down on the concerned list for these sort of developments! I think they risk being done because they sound sexy on paper/adverts... Just like Multicrew did.

With all due respect that's a lot of ifs and maybes, its coming just not at launch, the problem i have is the "not at launch" part, dont bother launching it until its done imo, as no ship interiors at launch makes for a half baked legs and totally and utterly crap "neil armstrong" moment.

your concern is geared around Frontiers capability and quite rightly so with the recent track record, this announcement of "no interiors at launch" is exactly proof of their incompetency and disconnection with the community.

Your concern shouldn't be with the concept of interiors though, many of us dont trade, PVP, or interact with thargoids or guardians etc., but its no justification for anyone to say frontier shouldnt have invested time into developing and rendering those areas even if each of those areas have issues many CMDRs spend hours doing & interacting with those assets, me as an example avoids trading like a thousand rusty pins in the eye, but others have done so for hours & hours and i wont ever begrudge frontier to develop (or mess up) trading. non of it is "wasted development" time

ill raise you Fleet carriers, they aint for everyone, but wow they spent time developing that niche didnt they for the vast majority of the community... oh yeah wait a minute.... but again is it a waste of time? probably not im sure some CMDRs love their FC and i don't begrudge them one bit for the time FDev dedicated to them, and even with the FPS nightmare of FC, i still wouldn't advocate removing FC's

I'm happy to see what Odyssey brings. At the end of the day, that's what is coming next. I hope fps meta is fun enough. If it is, I'm just going to be asking for more places to do it...

Just like I want earth like worlds.

I would say it is rare for a PvP fight to last an HR where 1 player is not willing to be in the fight.

It may not work all the time but a player always has the option to try to hi wake .
Also there is the menu timer a feature FD have stated is ok to use if you need to (I never have myself in that way).
Hi waking will need to be disabled if pirates are onboard your ship and also menu logging also becomes problematic.

OTOH it's not such a problem if npcs get griefed by someone menulogging on them
If they manage to take out your shields and FSD you are basically already dead. With ship boarding you actually have better chances because you still have the chance to defeat the attacker. If you decide to log off the moment you get boarded it should count as a win for the attacker. It's really not that different to the current implementation where you would face the rebuy screen as well.

How? By locking the combatants to a combat scenario? I don't see how forced matchmaking would be popular.
Who's forcing you into it?

I don't think having your ship blown up is exactly popular either. Is it?

I know I don't like it. That's why I avoid it...

Or, alternatively, shoot them in the head. That's a really good method.

Last edited:
Why not after. It's not like they have warp jump inhibitors strapped all over them.
^This right here points to fundamental design decisions and major changes that would have to be made to the game. What would happen if someone high wakes with intruders oboard and then menu quits? What at first seems like a minor addition might quickly reach Star Citizen level of complexity, if you expect a better solution than some fade-to-black reset back to own ship one.

^This right here points to fundamental design decisions and major changes that would have to be made to the game. What would happen if someone high wakes with intruders oboard and then menu quits? What at first seems like a minor addition might quickly reach Star Citizen level of complexity, if you expect a better solution than some fade-to-black reset back to own ship one.
Simple, you can only board if you disable the FSD first.

Simple, you can only board if you disable the FSD first.
Or implement a boarding method that does just that. With a limited timer attached to it.

This is quickly turning into a "piracy is a bit mean in pvp" discussion though. Piracy is an absolute shambles altogether in ED. It's utter garbage in its current state. It's literally scooping up cargo. That's it. And hasn't been worth doing since day one, except for role playing.

I don't get the ultra resistance to making the process more involved and worthwhile. It should be one of the best parts of the game.

Finally, with odyssey, there's a chance the basis for actual piracy to be a reality. Actual piracy. Not flippin scoop-a-doop 2020.

Last edited:
Top Bottom