PvP Frontier created PVP gankers. By design.

Yeah, and the people that seriously do powerplay avoid PvP because there's very little benefit to PvP in powerplay, and blockades are impossible to enforce while instancing, timezones and modes are a thing that exist, meaning that every minute you spend hanging around in a control system is a minute where you're not doing anything productive for your own faction.

Yup, which is pretty much the main reason why I haven't even looked at PP... I was a big fan of faction warfare in EvE, so much it was my main activity for years, and I had hoped PP would be ED version, ah well....

PP is not a pvp game in ED... ED has no meaning to PvP whatsoever.

Again that is the crux... ganking is simply a result of PvP being enabled and human nature taking over...
If you play PP you can kill enemies and you will be rewarded for it and YOU will not be considered a criminal. And everything is done and designed so that the game does not depend on people and this is correct. Today the man plays today, and you do not want to today, and tomorrow on the contrary. And it's right.

Well, if the argument does not suit you PP how about the CQC? Although why did I ask that. Now I hear a lot of negativity in the direction of the CQC.

If you play PP you can kill enemies and you will be rewarded for it and YOU will not be considered a criminal. And everything is done and designed so that the game does not depend on people and this is correct. Today the man plays today, and you do not want to today, and tomorrow on the contrary. And it's right.

Well, if the argument does not suit you PP how about the CQC? Although why did I ask that. Now I hear a lot of negativity in the direction of the CQC.

For me if you want to consider it a PvP game you need to have the focus around PvP, not have PvP as an ancillary activity while you go do other stuff, especially when you can avoid any potential chance of PvP in it's entirety in the base design of the game (I.e. modes)

CQC is a pvp game... and tbh I don't mind it. it is very different mechanics to base game in so many ways and it has a tiny population which can make it hard to find matches etc (especially in my TZ)

I don't PvP in ED as in my experience it is simply a game that has not been designed with active PvP in mind. And the PvP that has emerged is a side consequence of the co-op game that ED was built for. This is the first mmo game that PvP has not been a major focus for me. This is not a complaint as I completely enjoy ED for other reasons but it is not a PvP game...

Are people still blaming FD for their own actions?
Yup :D

ED has zero reason to PvP in game other than effectively bragging rights.

I disagree.

Even with the monetary consequences for being shot down trending toward zero, there are still penalties that can be inflict upon CMDRs by engaging them in hostilities. They can often be driven off, which may make the rest of one's own session quieter and safer (or attract retaliation), or if one is lucky, they may fail missions or lose bonds/vouchers/data that could have significant impact on applicable BGS activities.

Even if I ignore all the potential implications to the BGS, my CMDR is safer, and I am more able to engage in non-PvP activities in Open, unmolested, because I am familiar with PvP. Ability shifts the frustration/excitement ratio decidedly toward the latter. Knowing what I'm doing means I rarely have to be confused about what happened, or why, and can never feel victimized. I can also ignore, overcome and enjoy distractions that would be insurmountable barriers to others.

There are also skills that either cannot be developed any other way, or that are difficult to incentivize otherwise.

Ultimately, I've never lacked a gameplay reason to engage in PvP. Even if I, as a player, know the consequences for my CMDR getting shotdown are nil, my CMDR isn't going to be certain of that, and is going to have many motivations to defend himself.

For me if you want to consider it a PvP game you need to have the focus around PvP, not have PvP as an ancillary activity while you go do other stuff, especially when you can avoid any potential chance of PvP in it's entirety in the base design of the game (I.e. modes)

The best PvP games I've ever played didn't make a pretense of focusing on PvP. They didn't allow it to be avoided as easily as ED does, and generally had more meaningful consequences all round, but to make PvP the focus would be to miss the point, from my perspective.

I dabble in CQC, but I don't particularly enjoy it, because there is nothing there except arbitrary PvP, which renders the act largely moot by removing it's incentives and context. PvP is a means to an end for me.

Are people still blaming FD for their own actions?

Frontier sets and enforces the rules. If something is possible, it's because they've allowed it.

Last edited:

CQC is a pvp game... and tbh I don't mind it. it is very different mechanics to base game in so many ways and it has a tiny population which can make it hard to find matches etc (especially in my TZ)

I don't PvP in ED as in my experience it is simply a game that has not been designed with active PvP in mind. And the PvP that has emerged is a side consequence of the co-op game that ED was built for. This is the first mmo game that PvP has not been a major focus for me. This is not a complaint as I completely enjoy ED for other reasons but it is not a PvP game...

Yup :D
I wrote above, but I'll say it again just in case.

PvP may not be a Gank.
Gank is ALWAYS PvP.

I disagree.

Even with the monetary consequences for being shot down trending toward zero, there are still penalties that can be inflict upon CMDRs by engaging them in hostilities. They can often be driven off, which may make the rest of one's own session quieter and safer (or attract retaliation), or if one is lucky, they may fail missions or lose bonds/vouchers/data that could have significant impact on applicable BGS activities.

Even if I ignore all the potential implications to the BGS, my CMDR is safer, and I am more able to engage in non-PvP activities in Open, unmolested, because I am familiar with PvP. Ability shifts the frustration/excitement ratio decidedly toward the latter. Knowing what I'm doing means I rarely have to be confused about what happened, or why, and can never feel victimized. I can also ignore or overcome distractions that would be insurmountable barriers to others.

There are also skills that either cannot be developed any other way, or that are difficult to incentivize otherwise.

Ultimately, I've never lacked a gameplay reason to engage in PvP. Even if I, as a player, know the consequences for my CMDR getting shotdown are nil, my CMDR isn't going to be certain of that, and is going to have many motivations to defend himself.

All of the above is your choice to do so and not one is a 'gameplay reason'.. Which is perfectly fine by the way and people who want to PvP are more than welcome to do so but to try and say there are gameplay reasons is just plain incorrect.

Every thing you mentioned here is effectively 'bragging rights' for yourself. Skills that can only be developed in PvP are not required elsewhere in the game, simple. Being able to drive someone away in an instance is completely nullified by the instancing itself if you get blocked or the other person jumps modes. So what gameplay reason was there to actually engage that person? Cos you could isn't a gameplay reason, it's valid reason to do so but don't delude yourself saying it's for gameplay reasons, you just fancied having a go at them... for personal reason.

Frontier sets and enforces the rules. If something is possible, it's because they've allowed it.

Yes but it doesn't mean that they created 'gankers' as stated by the OP. just cos it's possible does not mean they created them, just allowed it to happen that's all. Very different things

Yes but it doesn't mean that they created 'gankers' as stated by the OP. just cos it's possible does not mean they created them, just allowed it to happen that's all. Very different things
I think it's the same thing. Create and allow to appear. If there were no conditions for life, would life appear?

But people choose their own actions. FD don't force them to do it. Its just blame shifting. Waaaa! FD made me a ganker! Its not my fault i'm a ganker!

All of the above is your choice to do so and not one is a 'gameplay reason'..

I'm failing to see how these things are exclusive.

Which is perfectly fine by the way and people who want to PvP are more than welcome to do so but to try and say there are gameplay reasons is just plain incorrect.

I vehemently disagree.

I play in Open because I like all of the additional gameplay possibilities this mode provides. Occasionally this implies PvP and competence here facilitates everything else.

Skills that can only be developed in PvP are not required elsewhere in the game, simple.

I also disagree with this. Many skills I developed in hostile encounters with other CMDRs have readily translated into the rest of the game, and much of it was stuff I'd not have considered otherwise.

Being able to drive someone away in an instance is completely nullified by the instancing itself if you get blocked or the other person jumps modes.

No it doesn't.

If my goal at the time is for my CMDR being able to go about his business (as is the case with probably 90% of the PvP encounters I've been in), having someone block me, or jump modes, doesn't nullify that (unless it's a block that also excludes me from others, which is certainly a possibility, but not much I can do about that), it consummates it.

Last edited:
But people choose their own actions. FD don't force them to do it. Its just blame shifting. Waaaa! FD made me a ganker! Its not my fault i'm a ganker!
Your actions depend on the consequences. If you see that there will be no consequences, then you will do anything.

Your actions depend on the consequences. If you see that there will be no consequences, then you will do anything.

If there are no consequences (just like a gank imo) then why do people still do it?

Simply because they want to... one of the main reason people do a lot of things.

That's basically like saying if there were no rules against killing people in real life people would go around killing people.

Its a rather silly position to take.

Everyone is free to choose their own actions. Blaming others for the choices you make is just failing to take responsibility for your own actions.

That's basically like saying if there were no rules against killing people in real life people would go around killing people.

Its a rather silly position to take.

Everyone is free to choose their own actions. Blaming others for the choices you make is just failing to take responsibility for your own actions.
Isn't it true?
It's just that forbidding rules prevent them from doing it on a regular basis. These people are called criminals and are caught and isolated from society.

I don't quite understand YOU. Are you for the unpunished gank in the game?

I'm failing to see how these things are exclusive.

I never said they were. I just merely pointed out that the choice is not a 'gameplay reason' but your choice to do so if there are nigh on no reason to do so as it's inconsequential to gameplay.

I vehemently disagree.

I play in Open because I like all of the additional gameplay possibilities this mode provides. Occasionally this implies PvP and competence here facilitates everything else.
You can disagree all you want but everything you ahve said is a choice you made on how you play and has zero consequence to anyone you meet. and PvP facilities nothing in this context at all. See below.

I also disagree with this. Many skills I developed in hostile encounters with other CMDRs have readily translated into the rest of the game, and much of it was stuff I'd not have considered otherwise.

'Translated to' does not equal 'required' as I originally stated. Off course a lot of skills relating to damage application, combat positioning etc that are gained from PvP can be USED elswhere in the game but they are most certainly not required and are quite irrelevant when you consider the grand scheme of things. If they weren't then people would simply not be able to play the game without the need to go train in PvP, which obviously they don't so...

No it doesn't.

If my goal at the time is for my CMDR being able to go about his business (as is the case with probably 90% of the PvP encounters I've been in), having someone block me, or jump modes, doesn't nullify that (unless it's a block that also excludes me from others, which is certainly a possibility, but not much I can do about that), it consummates it.

Again taken completely out of context, a re-occurring theme in your quotes of me, but it's besides the point. This was from the point of view as a ganker not someone fighting off a ganker. Even then if you didn't have any skill in PvP and were attacked by a ganker and got killed. The tiny 'penalty' you face in the rebuy (given the silly ease at which credits are now made) is nothing as you simply go back and block the attacker, or go 'solo' and carry on about your business. therefore no consequence.

Isn't it true?
It's just that forbidding rules prevent them from doing it on a regular basis. These people are called criminals and are caught and isolated from society.

I don't quite understand YOU. Are you for the unpunished gank in the game?

No it's not true at all. Most people don't go out of their way to intentionally cause harm to others. It's not because it's 'against the rules'.
The only people who do that are sociopaths...

Even then if you didn't have any skill in PvP and were attacked by a ganker and got killed. The tiny 'penalty' you face in the rebuy (given the silly ease at which credits are now made) is nothing as you simply go back and block the attacker, or go 'solo' and carry on about your business. therefore no consequence.
How long have you been playing the game? All holidays gankers hovered over Felicity's port and killed 10s of newcomers bringing her meta alloys.

Top Bottom