Day 44 - 03.02.3307
ANCIENT RUINS

3 .. 2 .. 1 .. engage!

jT0EmtB.png

I'm making good time on the neutron highway with just 25 jumps to go. I start to get inevitable FSD malfunctions after a while which I live with until I drop into the next system which is worth stopping at ..

M3AqD7M.png

.. partly for the screenshot but also to refuel and to do some field maintenance before getting on the move again.

FHrmLyD.png

When I arrive at my destination I can immediately see that Skaudai AM-B d14-138 is a pretty awesome system.

zpkfQqn.png

There are actually two stars in that photo, one in front of the other, and the nebula now looms large in the background. It takes a fair amount of time in the FSS to get a complete picture of this place.

r4l3P74.png

There are also two notable stellar phenomena in the system too. Damn, I could spend a week here and I have less than a day.

Oh well, obviously first on my list of things to see are the Guardian ruins on planet A B 7 A, which sits on the edge of this glorious ringed gas giant.

txhe93W.png

With the nebula as a background this place could be spectacular ..

Q9Urs6q.png

.. but sadly all three ground sites are pitch black (sites 1 and 2 below are just 5km apart).

4YBjggG.png

Even so, this is an incredible place ... I'm not sure I've ever seen so many obelisks lined up together like this.

sFvzlQ6.png

GObewyv.png

With so little light photo opportunities are few and far between but I capture what I can using the natural blue glow of the Guardian technology, still active after god knows how many millenia (anyone know how old this stuff is actually supposed to be?).

36OwDEt.png

5IdBmvt.png

qdOrU99.png

To give you a flavour of what this place is like, let's switch to nightvision and go for a little drive shall we.

Source: https://youtu.be/Bo2wm3St8rY

I'm really torn now. I feel the need to get moving, but I'd also LOVE to see this place in daylight. As a compromise I decide to go and investigate the stellar phenomena in the system, then I'll return to the Guardian ruins later on before I leave just in case I get lucky.

One of the NSP's is over 200kls away so I head for the nearer one, still a journey of about 5kls in supercruise. On the way I'm struck by how much I love the way that orbit lines (not everyone's cup of tea I know) add a sense of scale and perspective to a system as I fly through it. The following would be nothing but a few tiny dots in the sky, barely noticeable except for their paralax movement. But as it is I get this really strong sense of skimming past this orbital ballet of planets above and to the right of me.

KQdzpKB.png

The phenomena itself is a Lagrange cloud with a stunning plasma blue glow filled with crystals and the odd mollusc (not photographed today).

o0Xcegj.png

I decide to get away from the cloud so that the nearby nebula is also visible (this is something I highly recommend with Lagrange clouds and which I suspect many people miss - fly away from them so you can get a view of them from outside, they're quite beautiful).

tHlaFnv.png

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll check back on the Guardian sites again later but if they're still dark then this will be it ... short of something unexpected, the next few entries will simply be reports from various points along the neutron highway before I arrive back in the bubble.

Last edited:
Still only on page 7 but just have to say THANKS! What an awesome thread and story! Great screenshots.

Very inspiring!

o7
Thanks! 😊

On this note - I realise (while looking back and trying to find the entry for when I arrived in Colonia) that this thread's become quite large now. 😬

What I'm going to do (probably when I finish) is create a Contents listing in the OP with all the days (and their subtitles) so people can just jump to a particular entry or day rather than having to read through it all. Perhaps I'll also try to include distances from Sol (in case anyone wants to use this as a resource for their own journey to Colonia).

Thanks! 😊

On this note - I realise (while looking back and trying to find the entry for when I arrived in Colonia) that this thread's become quite large now. 😬

What I'm going to do (probably when I finish) is create a Contents listing in the OP with all the days (and their subtitles) so people can just jump to a particular entry or day rather than having to read through it all. Perhaps I'll also try to include distances from Sol (in case anyone wants to use this as a resource for their own journey to Colonia).

Yes contents list would be great because it will take me a couple of days to read the whole story. I need to do some exploring of my own in between as well :)

How did you get that beautiful Krait paintjob, with white circle on one side? Its not one of the "official"?

How did you get that beautiful Krait paintjob, with white circle on one side? Its not one of the "official"?
It's called something like the "Frontier" paintjob. Got one for the Mamba too. They're given away as exclusives. I think I got mine as race prizes or for doing a livestream with Frontier or something ... can't quite remember now. I really like the asymmetry of it.

Day 45 - 04.02.3307
AN ACTUAL DISCOVERY

I check in on the Skaudai Guardian ruin sites again but alas they're still in the dark (this is site 3).

uIVLPyn.png

I shall have to save seeing these places in their full glory for another trip but for now it's back on the Neutron Highway again.

Source: https://youtu.be/NtgRHFX-0Bg

I'm not planning on getting all the way back in a single session so I pick "Musica Universalis" from my todo list as today's destination. Since I'm now jumping exclusively via Neutron stars (except for occasional refuelling stops) I thought I may as well use them as my photography subject for today (a potentially deadly idea since, aside from the first image, doing this means I'm in the camera suite while the ship is being tossed around in the heart of the ejecta cones).

23RGGz2.png

nN86O76.png

xzqT3Q2.png

AYbr2rE.png

I also take my eye off the ball at one point and have something of a close call re: fuel!

qF5tYLF.png

However this turns out to be fortuitous because when I then make a quick detour to the nearest scoopable ..

Wm8O54L.png

.. I have a pleasant surprise. It's an undiscovered system containing a waterworld plus two notable stellar phenomena!

0iT1LpS.png

You may recall much earlier in the trip when I tried to find some NSPs of my own and failed miserably. Well finally, I have an actual discovery and not just more glorified tourism!

The NSPs are the usual, somewhat unremarkable mix of crystalline structures ..

ogFpO1D.png

.. and molluscs ..

jb2WmLw.png

SlVBf8C.png

.. but they're MY crystalline structures and molluscs!

And the waterworld where I stop to repair the badly degraded FSD?

jPYjOVe.png

That's MY waterworld that is.

I'm now just 5 kylies from home!

Last edited:
Day 46 - 05.02.3307
SMOKE ME A KIPPER!

My water world is just a handful of jumps from Musica Universalis (Smojoo ZE-R d4-109) so I start the morning by going to see this interesting collection of gas giants and moons.

KobhHWZ.png

I really don't have time to explore the system properly (I want to cover the remaining 5kly today) but I do head out to moons 6 A and B which both orbit in the gap between the inner and outer rings of planet 6.

QkOsmVk.png

You can just make out the eartlike world (body B) in the jaws of my Krait and the landable ice world (body A) is to the left of that and practically touching the inner ring. Here's another shot of the earthlike with the ice world just visible above the start of my engine trail ..

QvD1jWW.png

.. and a third from a bit further out.

D6dCMq9.png

Next I head to the ice world.

DWrfiud.png

First I want to see what it looks like from inside the inner ring of planet 6. It's kinda cool if you keep in mind that these aren't the rings of the body we're looking at but of the body it's orbiting.

NhLGECu.png

bHaGFg2.png

The fireworks? Oh yeah ... I set off some fireworks for a bit of extra pazzazz!

Source: https://youtu.be/nDqFcZnj4GA

Then I land to see what the rings look like from the ground.

Ajmn5Ct.png

If it weren't high gravity (1.6g) I'd be very tempted to go for a drive and see if I can leap off the planet and into the rings.

But it is so I don't.

This is it then, the final push. Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

I gave a little bit of thought to my final destination. Really anywhere in the bubble is kinda "home". I could easily have gone to Shinrarta but, aside from storing my fleet there, I don't actually feel an especially strong attachment to that place, plus I could easily get attacked on my way in and lose all the data from my return trip. So instead I check out the standing orders for the Turning The Wheel project and decide to head for Iqbal Hub in HR 4979 where I can usefully turn in all my data. So, just 25 neutron jumps left to go.

There's still plenty of cool sights along the way but I don't have time to capture them all.

hdpEXSY.png

When I arrive at my very last neutron star tho' (PSR J1752-2806) I do decide to stop for one last photography session.

hi6gBQX.png

uXzVJ6K.png

I break out the Guardian SLF for a final time ..

6UG0K1Y.png

.. deploy a heatsink to get a nice frosty effect ..

k61IXJS.png

.. and then it's "Fighter Retrieval Sequence Initiated" ..

yEFywW0.png

.. plot the final route ..

FulpSGo.png

.. jump the final jump ..

uWWwmoG.png

.. and in we go!

3K20poZ.png

Source: https://youtu.be/_juEGiTTy4U

(totally meant to kiss the mailslot on the way in by the way 😜)

Just one last thing to do today before I go in search of breakfast (I wonder if they have any of those lovely sausages from Kraken's Retreat?).

zsPGxpT.png

UjMI341.png

Mine!

Last edited:
EPILOGUE

My journey to Colonia and back began on the 18th Decemer 3306 and finished on the 5th February 3307 (so just under two months).

Here's the full travel video (note how much faster the return journey, using the Spansh neutron route plotter, is than the outward journey using more conventional travel methods) ..

Source: https://youtu.be/Gr1QaFDJu4A

.. and here's my route set against a backdrop of known neutron stars.

3d9kwA4.png

Thanks to @Orvidius for his work on the fantastic Elite: Dangerous Astrometrics website which I used to produce both of these.

In that period, according to my journal logs, I did 832 jumps, 732 FSS honks, 214 jet cone boosts and 120 planetary touchdowns.

The breakdown of star classes I visited during the course of my adventure was as follows.

QW4sNio.png

I took just over 600 photos all of which you can find in my "Colonia or Bust" IMGUR album (that was the working title for this adventure).

Source: https://imgur.com/a/P8gRrgB

I just want to say thanks to everyone who supplied information that helped me build my todo list, to those that dropped by to fly or drive with me for a while, to those who said hello in comm's, and to everyone here who's liked these posts and sent kind words of encouragement.

I will come back to this thread in the next day or so to edit in the contents page I mentioned but otherwise, from my beloved Python (the place more than any other that I call home in this galaxy) ..

An6brY3.png

.. I'll leave you with the phrase that still perhaps says it best ..

BLAZE YOUR OWN TRAIL COMMANDERS!

Last edited:
Top Bottom