Update 6 your thoughts?

Played it for a couple of hours last night, framerates are mostly smooth now even in settlements, Mobile RTX2060, 6 core i7, 16Gb RAM & SSD. I feel like it's really starting to come together. I still absolutely agree that whatever more can be done, performance-wise, it should be done, but as far as I'm concerned Odyssey is definitely playable and very much worth consideration for those who are on the fence.

As far as the gameplay.. I have been loitering around the Sol System and was parked on Mercury, took an SRV trip from Ehrlich City to the mountain top visible from the base, which was a decent distance, and did not encounter any invisible rocks on the way. I love the SRV, once you figure it out it is a joy to drive/fly. The terrain and lighting are much much improved over Horizons, and I wouldn't say that if I didn't truly think it. Some definite 'oh crap' moments as I was trying to find a decent landing spot and those massive rocks came quickly into vision due to the dark/light contrast that's present on Mercury at different elevations.

After that I checked out MakeMake and found that there was a Hospitality base there, I went to check it out to find that it was powered down, empty and it was night.. So I took the srv as the base was quite spread out and started 'gathering mats' shall we say courtesy of the Arc Cutter & Charge gun, and all the while in the back of my mind I'm thinking, 'I hope nobody shows up', which added some tension to the proceedings as well as everything being dark and moody...

So I'm coming to the end of my material gathering with a couple more cabins to check out and I get the message "Ship Under Attack", some bad guys had dropped in, and having made short work of my SRV parked outside the Habitat then started shooting my ship.. Of course I'm thinking I need to get out of dodge before they take my ship out, a very unarmoured Dolphin with only one pip to the shield, luckily the landing pad was close to where I was and as I'm running/jumping to my ship I hear "Shields Offline" and see five or six guys standing there literally just blasting my ship, the basts! With a jump boost I made it to the embark point and luckily drew some fire away from the ship - I barely got in as my own personal shield went down, and managed to take off with 17% hull, boosting away to prevent them from taking the rest. It was a very close call! So of course I then waited a moment at a safe distance for the shields to come back up, deployed my Advanced Missles, turned on night vision went back and blasted them like Sinistar on a rampage "RUN RUN RUN" boom! I scored some bounties from them, though not enough to cover the hull repair cost or probably even replace the missiles but this wasn't about making money!

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I know some might grizzle about weapons being OP against ships but I think with their combined firepower it seemed relatively balanced and I only had one pip to shields - I will remember to put four to shields when I land at settlements in future.

But the whole experience was great, going from being in the ship to the srv to foot and then having to high tail back to my ship after my SRV got taken out and boosting out of there. There were no performance glitches or bugs at all and I guess I should have tried to snipe the bandits FPS style but I took the shortest route to achieve my objective, and I'm still getting accustomed to my bindings for on foot combat, I'm using the throttle part of the HOTAS and mouse :) If I had had my rocket launcher in my loadout, I may have shot a couple of rockets at the group as I headed to the ship, I would have liked to have seen the results of that.

BTW; if you are in your SRV, your contacts panel will inform you of what's inside lockers and stuff as you get near them if you are looking for anything specific.

Thanks for reading.
I totally agree, Odyssey is a lot of fun, and my experience has been similar. Do I see occasional drops in frame rate, yes, small, but yes, they are there. I havent run into any issues that stop me from playing everyday. I'll have all my gear upgraded and engineered by the time they are done dropping patches and then I will sit back and enjoy the experience. Probably head out into the Black and enjoy some exploration.

AI of enemies is terrible. They instantly know where you are, they see you from miles away and there is no chance of creeping up on them anymore.
I'm not seeing this boss, or i should say - I'm not seeing any difference in NPC behavior between 5 and 6. Can you be a little bit more specific on your experiences that would lead you to this conclusion?

npc's walking into things and staying there isn't fixed..
this guy is going to be a permanent fixture at this station until it's fixed from what I can see

Last edited:
I'm on an Nvidia 1080 ti. I'm using recommended settings. FPS over all is much higher. It does though dip into the 40's on the planets I've visited.

Over all, things are looking good, but I've not had a chance to dig in and try all the missions yet.

I totally agree, Odyssey is a lot of fun, and my experience has been similar. Do I see occasional drops in frame rate, yes, small, but yes, they are there. I havent run into any issues that stop me from playing everyday. I'll have all my gear upgraded and engineered by the time they are done dropping patches and then I will sit back and enjoy the experience. Probably head out into the Black and enjoy some exploration.
Yeah, the only thing that would have made it better is if the bandits left the ship alone so as to not tip you off and started a base sweep to ambush you.

This loot delay... is that an option?

Because when I tested yesterday evening, I looted as soon as I pressed "E". Didn't have to hold it down for 1 second.
Were you looking something illegal? It only delays if the looting would be a crime. It needs to be an option very badly because it makes doing theft an absolute pain in the rear.

I have just made a strange observation...

I do get 40 fps in settlements now. If I turn on NVIDIA auto-tuning (overclocking the GPU) I get 14. That doesn't sound logical, does it? :O

I am in the process of testing the ground POI missions. Done two so far. For both (salvage/retrieve item), the POI showed up fine. However, for the first, I found the item but could not retrieve it (pushing E key did not work). My backpack was empty but it was an illegal item, so not sure if that was having some effect. The second mission, it was a legal item and I was able to retrieve it with no problems. I am going to test several more POI based missions today and tomorrow and report back. Also, it appears that the invisible rocks are less frequent but not completely gone from the game.

CMDR Marcus "Scav-Hunter" Bulltarsky
For the above first mission, guess you have to hold down the E key for a few seconds in order to retrieve illegal items. Also, have to hold down F key for few seconds to use e-breach since it is also illegal anytime. Guess I should have looked closer at patch notes. I did three more POI missions (1 retrieval, 1 salvage, and 1 larceny). The first two worked fine. On the third (larceny), the POI showed up, I was able to find the containers, but it would not let me successfully complete the mission. It would check off every step but failed to give the final step ("Leave the area"). Also, on the map, it indicated the system but not the planet with a mission marker. When I went to the system, I could find the planet on the navigation panel highlighted in blue and when using FSS to scan the plan and then approaching, the POI appeared.

Also, on the larceny mission, one of the containers was embedded into the mountain, so couldn't use cutting torch to cut open the panel. Had to use e-breach to open instead. So, so far, 5 POI missions and one legitimate bugged mission.

So been in a few hours, so far I'd say pretty mixed bag. I'll start with good:

1.) Planet texture LOD is better to my eyes. As well as liking the terrain I'm seeing now. Ice worlds seem improved a good bit.
2.) I like that the AI are not stupid about ships now. You can't land 50 yds away and they keep patroling.
3.) No invisible rocks (Thank you, that was making me weary) so far.
4.) No more jacked up UI when using quick refuel/repair/rearm.
5.) No more re-arm with SC, that was a gankers god-send I'm sure but at least the trade-off for high DPS is back.

Bad:
1.) Missions seem differently broken, still issues with recovery missions, just at a different spot now. More weeks of not using those missions.
2.) No flashlights by AI so they are effectively invisible to me now on the 80% of missions that send me to the dark side of a planet.
2a.) AI is completely oblivious to my flashlight. I've been crouched 15M away with the light on them as they patrol like nothing is happening. Could be related.
3.) Pretty bad 'noise' or 'pixelation' effect now when the terminator on the planet is just entering or leaving view.
4.) Low angle texture on planets seems much worse to me now. Looks grainy or noisy even with built-in upscale.
5.) Stations at downsampled resolution look pretty bad at a distance now. Very noticeable in the dark. The aliasing is terrible.
6.) Sudden introduction of notoriety for worker kills in settlements with almost no idea how it works. I would think it should build quite slowly given blowing up ships that contain dozens of tourists in ships provides exactly 1. I don't disagree that it should factor in though.

The Very Bad:
1.) AMD FSR - I hate this. Worse performance and worse appearance I would love to have an option for the version from update 6.
2.) The 1 second delay on interaction is maddening. I've read that's being walked back and I'm glad.

The visual hit I've taken this update hurts. All of the other stuff aside with the previous AMD upscaling I was at least getting something that looked really good despite 0.65X and 45 FPS on my system. But now I get that and a little less on top of shimmering, noisy, jagged, whirling, lines that I was not seeing much in update 5. I really wish this longer period between updates provided a more polished outcome but the forward/backwards dance seems to be slowly moving me in negative territory overall. Past update 3 i've been losing ground on GFX quality and performance.

Last edited:
some graphics improvement for sure, better planet, more stability.
i start an exploration trip so i can enjoy almost that little things, because the life in the bubble i think still have lot of majors bug in terms of gameplay.

I re-installed for this update. Graphics and lighting have improved a lot. The terrain looks great imo. However, the performance is not there for my poor 1060 6gb whenever I approach any planet surface. Forget about disembarking. I'm not willing to give up just yet but sad to say it won't be a return to the game in the near future for me.

Deleted member 182079

D
I reset my Cmdr save as mentioned earlier today, and spent most of the day going through the early game experience.

It seems that FSR really is required for me (despite being well above recommended spec) in order to achieve smooth enough performance - which still tanks in some places, such as on foot CZs which were incredibly janky and as such quite tiresome to complete - but the cost being nasty aliasing, blurry text and general noise planet side is a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

Elite used to be a clean and smooth, good looking game (despite its age) but it keeps going backwards on almost all fronts.

The fact I'm not even that fussed about losing all my assets, mats, engineers, FC, ranks suggests my Elite mojo is fading and uninstall option is becoming more attractive each day.

Did another crash retrieval mission -- the POI showed up but couldn't retrieve the item since container was half buried in the ground. Did anyone at FD playtest this before it was released? My patience is starting to wear thin.:mad: Now we have to wait another month for the next patch to fix these issues?

Did another crash retrieval mission -- the POI showed up but couldn't retrieve the item since container was half buried in the ground. Did anyone at FD playtest this before it was released? My patience is starting to wear thin.:mad: Now we have to wait another month for the next patch to fix these issues?
Uhm hate to be that guy. But not every black box from air crashes get recovered either.

I'm fairly happy with it. A little worried about the new scavengers with x-ray vision and no flashlights, though. I'll test that tonight

My performance was fairly good yesterday. POI's spawned properly. Did get more Mauve Adders than I'm used. Guess I'll take another look at that port forwarding thing.

The game keeps freezing black on exit, from time to time.

The 1 second wait to grab things on foot was a mistake. I think they thought it better and now it's no longer in game.

Since Update 5 I lost irregular markers with threat level, except in 1 system.

Time to download data should be reconsider. I just had to wait 503 seconds to download data, then in the same CMD building, the 2nd data port gave me 170 seconds, so I were there for more than 10 minutes doing nothing except watching the countdown (max I've got till this Update was 300 second, still unacceptable).

FSR doesn't help with FPS.

Being in a wing/team on foot on a settlement I got continuous FPS drops, from 35 to 7 and 35 again, every 2 minutes or less. While playing along, FPS were same as Update 5.

Top Bottom