The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Description:

The exceptionally strong tidal forces that must be generated by their shared predicaments has stretched these moons along their equators, so much that they almost resemble the shape of eggs rather than planets.

This is really cool! Though I'd make one small correction in the description to better match the science. The tidal force distortions aren't modeled in ED, which would tend to cause tidal locking, and then stretch the object into an ellipsoid. Instead what you see here is the equatorial bulge, as you've noticed, which is due to the high rotational speeds alone, turning them into oblate spheroids.

This is just in terms of the shape that you see visually. ED models rotational oblateness but not tidal elongation. Having said that, the tidal forces are probably pretty strong, making them very geologically active, I would think. ;)

Looking at "7 a" in the data (the water world), it's marked as tidally locked, but not in a 1:1 ratio. It's close to 1:2. I'll bet the tides are quite magnificent there.

This is really cool! Though I'd make one small correction in the description to better match the science. The tidal force distortions aren't modeled in ED, which would tend to cause tidal locking, and then stretch the object into an ellipsoid. Instead what you see here is the equatorial bulge, as you've noticed, which is due to the high rotational speeds alone, turning them into oblate spheroids.

This is just in terms of the shape that you see visually. ED models rotational oblateness but not tidal elongation. Having said that, the tidal forces are probably pretty strong, making them very geologically active, I would think. ;)

Looking at "7 a" in the data (the water world), it's marked as tidally locked, but not in a 1:1 ratio. It's close to 1:2. I'll bet the tides are quite magnificent there.
Thanks for the insightful info, I've updated the description.

Hey guys, this is it. I've been teasing a mass submission from months, and well I will include not only new POI (from single POI's to sub regions [NOT HISTORICAL REGIONS BEFORE YOU ALL YELL AT ME]) submissions but also Odyssey new photographs and updated descriptions taken by the people of the SWS scouting initiative. All of my submissions will be from an Elite Dangerous Odyssey perspective.

Most of the content provided here is the result of RPELDU, SWS High G Slamdown and The Scouting initiative.

First off this is one of my greatest finds let's start with a bang. Enjoy!

Name:The Dandelion Anomaly.
Game map search ref:Systimbau AA-A h63
Description:The Dandelion Anomaly system consists of four black holes, one ringed M class, 11 other stars, with 8 of them orbiting three black holes relatively close to each other 96k ls from the primary black hole. What is curious about the latter is that the lensing effect emits light to such a degree that it is equally or even brighter than stars closer to the bodies in the central star. One example is seen on the moon A 2 a, a planet orbiting inside the ringed M class A 2, which despite his parent body's closer proximity (figure 4.2), the anomaly is emitting an even brighter light (figure 4.1). Therefore, creating a planet of "Endless day" which is hit with light from both sides, never giving sleep to whoever lands on the planet. And as it thought there could be no more surprises, there is life on the anomaly relatively close to the black holes! Close to them, we have some landables with an atmosphere with modest land-based lifeforms (Figure 5 Stratum) that defy all possibilities and thrive despite the gravitational anomaly. Indeed a pretty exciting system to behold and stop, as going towards the anomaly can create a fascinating lensing effect that would surprise the most veteran of explorers visiting Odin's hold.

This POI was discovered by CMDR Richard Fluiraniz M. in the SWS HIGH-G SUMMER SLAMDOWN 3307 EXPEDITION
Screenshot reference:
POI_-_Systimbau_AA-A_h63_anomaly_visualize.png

Figure 1: The anomaly from system entry.

system_map.png

Figure 2: System Map
orrery.png

Figure 3: Orrery view.
Systimbau_AA-A_h63_A_2.png

Figure 4: M class ringed star (The crown) with an inner body (A2A) inside the wide ring (Width: 2.58Ls / 772,860km, Parent Radius: 108,056km)
lightdetail.png

Figure 4.1: Anomaly daylight side
The_other_side.png

Figure 4.2: A2A by its parent body (A2) daylight. These pictures (4.1 & 4.2) were taken at the same spot.
surfacebcd5blackhole.png

Figure 5: Stratum on Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 f
unknown.png

Figure 6: The Dandelion anomaly Black holes B, C and D in 5000 ls away.
unknown.png

Figure 7: A Dandelion sunrise from A2A.

I genuinely hope this was a great start, here are the observatory logs for a better curated description.

2021-08-27 07:33:16 - Systimbau AA-A h63 A - Undiscovered System 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 D - Fast orbit - Orbital Period: 7.8 hours 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 D - Uncommon Secondary Star Type - Black Hole, Distance: 136,023Ls 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 D - Multiple criteria met - 2 Criteria Satisfied 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 A 2 A Ring - Wide Ring - Width: 30.80Ls / 9,233,000km, Parent Radius: 425,645km 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 C - Fast orbit - Orbital Period: 7.8 hours 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 C - Uncommon Secondary Star Type - Black Hole, Distance: 136,018Ls 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 C - Multiple criteria met - 2 Criteria Satisfied 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 A 1 A Ring - Wide Ring - Width: 2.58Ls / 772,860km, Parent Radius: 108,056km 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 2 A Ring - Wide Ring - Width: 2.03Ls / 609,700km, Parent Radius: 87,659km 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 B - Uncommon Secondary Star Type - Black Hole, Distance: 135,638Ls 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 1 A Ring - Wide Ring - Width: 2.05Ls / 614,940km, Parent Radius: 81,503km 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 7 A Ring - Wide Ring - Width: 2.67Ls / 801,520km, Parent Radius: 103,174km 2021-08-27 07:33:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 A 5 a A Ring - Wide Ring - Width: 1.77Ls / 531,430km, Parent Radius: 71,443km 2021-08-27 07:35:28 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 9 g - Landable - Landable with Atmosphere 2021-08-27 07:36:06 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 9 h - Landable - Landable with Atmosphere 2021-08-27 07:36:23 - Systimbau AA-A h63 - All surface materials in system 2021-08-27 07:37:08 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 d - Unmapped Terraformable - rocky bodyDistance (LS): 135763.728461 2021-08-27 07:37:11 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 d a - Landable - Close orbit relative to parent body size - Orbit: 9,274km, Parent radius: 3,394km 2021-08-27 07:37:11 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 d a - Landable - Fast orbit - Orbital Period: 6.9 hours 2021-08-27 07:37:11 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 d a - Landable - Multiple criteria met - 2 Criteria Satisfied 2021-08-27 07:37:33 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 f - Landable - Landable and Terraformable 2021-08-27 07:37:33 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 f - Landable - Landable with Atmosphere 2021-08-27 07:37:33 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 f - Landable - Unmapped Terraformable - rocky bodyDistance (LS): 135752.01978 2021-08-27 07:37:33 - Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 f - Landable - Multiple criteria met - 3 Criteria Satisfied 2021-08-27 07:39:40 - Systimbau AA-A h63 A 1 d - Landable - Landable with Atmosphere 2021-08-27 07:40:07 - Systimbau AA-A h63 A 5 b - Unmapped Class 2 Gas Giant - Distance (LS): 9520.972209

More submissions to come so get ready! The galaxy needs a a visual POI update, and I will me more than glad to provide the pictures to make POI's not only updated, but accurate.

Last edited:
Hey guys, this is it. I've been teasing a mass submission from months, and well I will include not only new POI (from single POI's to sub regions [NOT HISTORICAL REGIONS BEFORE YOU ALL YELL AT ME]) submissions but also Odyssey new photographs and updated descriptions taken by the people of the SWS scouting initiative. All of my submissions will be from an Elite Dangerous Odyssey perspective.

Most of the content provided here is the result of RPELDU, SWS High G Slamdown and The Scouting initiative.

First off this is one of my greatest finds let's start with a bang. Enjoy!

Name:The Dandelion Anomaly.
Game map search ref:Systimbau AA-A h63
Description:The Dandelion Anomaly system consists of four black holes, one ringed M class, 11 other stars, with 8 of them orbiting three black holes relatively close to each other 96k ls from the primary black hole. What is curious about the latter is that the lensing effect emits light to such a degree that it is equally or even brighter than stars closer to the bodies in the central star. One example is seen on the moon A 2 a, a planet orbiting inside the ringed M class A 2, which despite his parent body's closer proximity (figure 4.2), the anomaly is emitting an even brighter light (figure 4.1). Therefore, creating a planet of "Endless day" which is hit with light from both sides, never giving sleep to whoever lands on the planet. And as it thought there could be no more surprises, there is life on the anomaly relatively close to the black holes! Close to them, we have some landables with an atmosphere with modest land-based lifeforms (Figure 5 Stratum) that defy all possibilities and thrive despite the gravitational anomaly. Indeed a pretty exciting system to behold and stop, as going towards the anomaly can create a fascinating lensing effect that would surprise the most veteran of explorers visiting Odin's hold.

This POI was discovered by CMDR Richard Fluiraniz M. in the SWS HIGH-G SUMMER SLAMDOWN 3307 EXPEDITION
Screenshot reference:
POI_-_Systimbau_AA-A_h63_anomaly_visualize.png

Figure 1: The anomaly from system entry.

system_map.png

Figure 2: System Map
orrery.png

Figure 3: Orrery view.
Systimbau_AA-A_h63_A_2.png

Figure 4: M class ringed star (The crown) with an inner body (A2A) inside the wide ring (Width: 2.58Ls / 772,860km, Parent Radius: 108,056km)
lightdetail.png

Figure 4.1: Anomaly daylight side
The_other_side.png

Figure 4.2: A2A by its parent body (A2) daylight. These pictures (4.1 & 4.2) were taken at the same spot.
surfacebcd5blackhole.png

Figure 5: Stratum on Systimbau AA-A h63 BCD 5 f
unknown.png

Figure 6: The Dandelion anomaly Black holes B, C and D in 5000 ls away.
unknown.png

Figure 7: A Dandelion sunrise from A2A.

I genuinely hope this was a great start, here are the observatory logs for a better curated description.

More submissions to come so get ready! The galaxy needs a a visual POI update, and I will me more than glad to provide the pictures to make POI's not only updated, but accurate.
Incredible system but, is there an Earth Like World in the system? If there is then I’m blind.

If my submission from 12 days ago is not yet in EDSM, does it mean there's smth wrong with it? Will it make it to EDSM eventually? Or should I provide more data/photos?

Not pushing, just asking. No idea how the process works...

Name:Entdecker Gefahr
Game map search ref:Dryuae Scraa BA-A G18
Description:Discovered by CMDR Suzie during an independent survey of high mass systems, This black hole system includes a colorful array of gas giants, brown dwarfs, and their many landable moons. Additionally, all materials needed for FSD injection can be located on these moons, making this a "Green" system. You likely will not need them, however, as the main draw of this system is a rare double-binary of neutron stars. Located just a few thousand lightyears from Colonia, this system makes for a convenient yet exotic destination. The name "Entdecker Gefahr" Originally meaning Explorers Peril roughly translated into German.
S creenshot reference:
]
Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2021.07.30 - 20.51.37.28.png
Elite Dangerous Super-Resolution 2021.07.30 - 20.59.35.25.png
image0.jpg

Last edited:
I request to change the description of the entry White, Blue, Black I submitted some years ago. Since it was selected in the Tourist Beacon competition, a Reddit user has informed me that the description of the EDSM entry is wrong, because planets with 90º axial tilts don't work like I thought. We've managed to understand how the daynight and seasonal cycles of the planet actually work. Since the full explanation is quite lengthy, I'll write a long and a short version, in case you consider the former too long for the EDSM page:

Long description:
The sixth planet of this system is an Earth-Like World that has a -85º axial tilt, almost -90º. This kind of planet features unique day-night and seasonal cycles.

During the solstices:
  • The sun is directly overhead one of the poles. And the equator sees a continuous sunset (or sunrise), with the sun being stationary.
During the equinoxes:
  • The equator sees half day, half night, with the sun directly overhead at noon. The poles see a continuous sunset (or sunrise), with the sun moving 360 degrees around the horizon.
In between the solstices and equinoxes:
  • At the poles, just after equinox the sun either moves below the horizon or starts circling further above the horizon, until it reaches directly overhead at solstice.
  • At the equator, the sun, which was stationary at solstice, starts to make progressively larger circles (dipping below the horizon half the time). The circle expands moving progressively along the sky (crossing the midpoint at equinox). Then begins contracting on the other side after the solstice, until it reaches the other end of the sky at the next solstice and is stationary that day.
In summary:
  • Both poles have half a year of daytime and half of nighttime. However, during solstices the sun is directly overhead one of the poles while there is a full night at the other, unlike in Earth, in which the maximum elevation of the sun at the poles is ±23.4° (the Earth's axial tilt).
  • At the equator, days always last for a rotation of the planet (0.9 Earth days), but the elevation of the sun changes from just over the horizon during solstices to being overhead at noon during equinoxes.
This planet presents a mystery to planetologists and climatologists, as it is sure that its climate is as unique as its cycles. From space, we can see that its poles have large ice caps while the equator is full of water and life, implying that the equator is hotter than the poles.

The name of the planet makes reference to the planet looking like a white-blue-black tricolor flag during solstices.

Short description:
The sixth planet of this system is an Earth-Like World that has a -85º axial tilt, almost -90º. This kind of planet features unique day-night and seasonal cycles:
  • Both poles have half a year of daytime and half of nighttime. However, during solstices the sun is directly overhead one of the poles while there is a full night at the other, unlike in Earth, in which the maximum elevation of the sun at the poles is ±23.4° (the Earth's axial tilt).
  • At the equator, days always last for a rotation of the planet (0.9 Earth days), but the elevation of the sun changes from just over the horizon during solstices to being overhead at noon during equinoxes.
This planet presents a mystery to planetologists and climatologists, as it is sure that its climate is as unique as its cycles. From space, we can see that its poles have large ice caps while the equator is full of water and life, implying that the equator is hotter than the poles.

The name of the planet makes reference to the planet looking like a white-blue-black tricolor flag during solstices.

Thank you for your work and sorry for the inconvenience.

Edit: now that I look at it, I think the EDSM data of the planet might be wrong. According to the game (just checked), the planet has an axial tilt of -85.17º. However, the entry of the planet in EDSM puts the axial tilt as -1.4865º.

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like the axial tilt is showing the number of radians, rather than degrees, but then puts the "°" degree symbol next to it. That one is probably more a question for Anthor. I'm pretty sure EDSM stores the values in radians internally. So either it's not converting to degrees, or it's adding the symbol when it shouldn't. ;)

EDIT: Forgot to add-- I'll go ahead and put the correction in. You're right, the old description doesn't follow the actual planetary mechanics. ;)

Name:Aselou
Game map search ref:PYROIFEIA KE-E D13-35
Description:A G-Type Star System with a Class III Gas Giant that has 5 notable moons. These moons that orbit the Gas Giant are 2 Terraformable Water Worlds, 1 Ringed Earth Like World, 1 Earth Like World, & a Ringed Gas Giant with Water Based Life.
Also, each one of these moons has a gravity above 1G which is unusually high for gas giant moons.
The odds of a gas giant having moons like these are incredibly low and a system like this would serve as a great tourist destination.
Screenshot reference:
View attachment 263756
Please explain the name "Aselou" in the description.

Name:Entdecker Gefahr
Game map search ref:Dryuae Scraa BA-A G18
Description:Discovered by CMDR Suzie during an independent survey of high mass systems, This black hole system includes a colorful array of gas giants, brown dwarfs, and their many landable moons. Additionally, all materials needed for FSD injection can be located on these moons, making this a "Green" system. You likely will not need them, however, as the main draw of this system is a rare double-binary of neutron stars. Located just a few thousand lightyears from Colonia, this system makes for a convenient yet exotic destination.
Screenshot reference:
]
View attachment 265647View attachment 265645View attachment 265652
Please explain the name "Entdecker Gefahr" in the description.

Name:Jet Cone View
Game map search ref:Dryoea Flyi IM-W f1-3475
Description:This Earth Like World lies only 1500ls from a tinary Black Hole, White Dwarf and K class star giving rise to views of the jetcones from the white dwarf whilst in orbit around the Earth Like World. Upon entry to the system CMDRs will be met by the stunning dance of these three stars locked in a close orbit whilst also enjoying the interesting gravitational lensing caused by the Black Hole. It is unknown how such a world could exist so close to this stellar configaration given radiation emitted from the Black Hole and White Dwarf would usually sterilise a planet, giving rise to both a unique site for tourists to visit and an opportunity for scientific research and colonisation.
Screenshot reference:View attachment 264434
View attachment 264435View attachment 264432
Great find! Might I suggest a name more in line with AU conventions, though? Also consider that here we have an ELW in visible distance from a NS, yes, but also orbiting a main sequence star and a BH in a trifecta of stellar...things. (Clearly, my creative juices are not yet flowing today. Otherwise, I'd have some suggestions myself). It seems like "Jet Cone View" is a bit of an undersell, and again, not quite AU-worthy.

Great find! Might I suggest a name more in line with AU conventions, though? Also consider that here we have an ELW in visible distance from a NS, yes, but also orbiting a main sequence star and a BH in a trifecta of stellar...things. (Clearly, my creative juices are not yet flowing today. Otherwise, I'd have some suggestions myself). It seems like "Jet Cone View" is a bit of an undersell, and again, not quite AU-worthy.

Thank you! Yeah I'll try to think of something else, I'm not brilliant with names (as you probably figured by the submission lol) but I'll come up with something. Open to suggestions of course! Also I probably should add that this site was one of the systems chosen to have a tourist beacon in the recent competition. Would the name of the beacon when it is released perhaps be the best option for the name or would you rather have something unique?

Last edited:
Thank you! Yeah I'll try to think of something else, I'm not brilliant with names (as you probably figured by the submission lol) but I'll come up with something. Open to suggestions of course! Also I probably should add that this site was one of the systems chosen to have a tourist beacon in the recent competition. Would the name of the beacon when it is released perhaps be the best option for the name or would you rather have something unique?
Congrats! Yeah, we'll go with the beacon name for consistency's sake.

Top Bottom