4.0 | Now Live

Anyone with Horizons 4.0 can play together.
Well, I don't have Horizons 4.0, and you just announced that there's no way for me to get it, because I have Odyssey. Thanks for nothing, I guess.

Now that the decision to make Odyssey and Horizons 4.0 separate games is final, can I please have an option to uninstall client 3.8 and free those 20 GB it occupies? I purchased the game through Steam, so if I uninstall from the Frontier launcher, Steam will at some point notice the missing files and redownload them.

Odyssey Players (players who have purchased Odyssey):
  • Elite Dangerous: Odyssey
  • Elite Dangerous: Horizons (3.8)
  • Elite Dangerous (Base Game - pre Horizons)
Horizons Players (players who have not purchased Odyssey):
  • Elite Dangerous: Horizons (4.0)
  • Elite Dangerous: Horizons < This is 3.8
  • Elite Dangerous (Base Game - pre Horizons)
So, for any spaced based new content, Ody owners can play it. Horizons owners can play it in 4.0.

But we can't play it together?!

smh

So, for any spaced based new content, Ody owners can play it. Horizons owners can play it in 4.0.

But we can't play it together?!

smh
Exactly. Because it is not just a "space content". It's heavy updated thing. And it must be paid to use. So Ody is not "the legs" only any more. Ody is "legs + better space + coming things". So H4 is sort of donation so everybody can try "better space" part.

So our friends who may not have Odyssey, can do the new stuff, but now you can no longer play with them unless they roll back, and lose the updates.
Some of the logic makes no sense. Please allow those of us who own the same game to have the same data, that way we can play with our friends.
Otherwise, there's not really a need for a "Social" option or friend's list in the game. =\

Don't know what are you speaking about. Steam started updating.:(
As the cool kids say, "You do you." I had no such update. But in case you missed my previous disclaimers, I only have Horizons 3.8 installed and I have auto-updates turned off. Launcher loaded with new option to install H4.0, which I've yet to do (saving that for when I have a lot more time to experiment). I was able to jump right back into Horizons Legacy (3.8) with no downloads or hassle. I've tried it three times today, same thing each time. 🤷‍♂️

TBH, I'm kinda baffled that there wasn't an update for my launcher. I guess the menu is controlled server-side? Last time Elite was updated for me was June 8th. I'm not complaining, mind you! I welcome "maintenance mode" for old Horizons.

filelist.png

Colleague PowerPlayers, I would like to propose that merit generation (hauling, undermining, expansion combat) in 4.0 be considered equivalent to being in a private group. So if you support open-only powerplay, you should not generate merits in 4.0 which is inaccessible to any CMDR who has purchased Odyssey.

Well, I don't have Horizons 4.0, and you just announced that there's no way for me to get it, because I have Odyssey. Thanks for nothing, I guess.

Now that the decision to make Odyssey and Horizons 4.0 separate games is final, can I please have an option to uninstall client 3.8 and free those 20 GB it occupies? I purchased the game through Steam, so if I uninstall from the Frontier launcher, Steam will at some point notice the missing files and redownload them.
I assume you'll still need to use it to get beyond Odyssey bugs which I expect will also be in Horizons 4.0

I'm not sure I understand this very well.
You seem to me missing the point that now 3.8 isn't a thing supported anymore, and that it's just there to not alienate the vr ship driver (There's probably more than this, but idk)
As I understand it, any new future narrative update will happen on Horizon 4.0. 3.8 Is just a relic of the past
Alienate the VR player? I've played Odyssey IN VR since launch day. Where do you people get your information? Odyssey has all the VR that Horizons did + more with planet walking IN VR via camera suite.

I assume you'll still need to use it to get beyond Odyssey bugs which I expect will also be in Horizons 4.0
Did you know that the current Odyssey client can actually be launched in Horizons mode? All it takes is a command line parameter. There is absolutely no need to keep client 3.8 around, unless your PC can't handle 4.0. And the current split between EDO and EDH 4.0 is entirely unnecessary.

I want those 20 GB back, FDev!

This release is a courtesy and free upgrade for non-Odyssey owners. They now get to try the 4.0 codebase with all the perks that contains as well as engage with future content and narrative updates at no additional cost where this wasn't possible before. Of course, we still hope they will upgrade to Odyssey for the full experience the game has to offer.

I'm a bit late, but that doesn't answer his question. That being "If the issues stopping EDO instancing with EDH are age-appropriate then why not give EDO players an EDH4.0 option in the launcher?"

I have both Horizons and Odyssey, and I just installed windows and started a steam download. It's 70gb which suggests that it's installing both EDH 20gb and EDO 50gb. Not sure I'd be happy to have this increase to 120GB, especially for something I'd probably never use (Horizons 4.0)..

Top Bottom