4.0 | Now Live

The problem is financial: that graphical overhaul, which admittedly was critically maligned at birth, cost money to develop and salvage. So, if I was FD, I wouldn't give it for free, and I think neither would you. I wouldn't want "my children to go starving tonight" ;) . So, if your friends just want it for free, it's not Frontier that's trying to cheat them...

As I say to my children, if you want to check if something is right, look at it from the opposite side...
NOBODY WANTS ODYSSEY FOR FREE.

Me, THE PAYING CUSTOMER who gave them $60 for Odyssey, WANTS ACCESS TO 4.0.

As I tell my children, if you don't understand what you read, read it again.

Please stop trying is misrepresent and strawman my VERY REASONBABLE REQUST.

If you people are so confident everyone will buy Odyssey, then why is Frontier so afraid to let Odyssey owners choose between it and 4.0? Why?

Last edited:
NOBODY WANTS ODYSSEY FOR FREE.

Me, THE PAYING CUSTOMER who gave them $60 for Odyssey, WANTS ACCESS TO 4.0.

As I tell my children, if you don't understand what you read, read it again.

Please stop trying is misrepresent and strawman my VERY REASONBABLE REQUST.

If you people are so confident everyone will buy Odyssey, then why is Frontier so afraid to let Odyssey owners choose between it and 4.0? Why?
Cherry-picking one small part of the entire post is pointless.

Frontier are simply taking the easiest, most visibly profitable route. Most companies do this these days, regardless of the impact on customers. Shareholders are all that matters anymore.

You're wrong, EVERYONE WOULD WANT ODYSSEY FOR FREE. I pre-bought it, too. If I could have it for free, I would. Why not?

But FD is not a charity. They have bills to pay. Their offer of 4.0 to Horizons players is a good lure, a test to see if their systems can run it adequately. Then, those players can be tempted to buy the full product to play again with their friends that own Odyssey, without reverting to Horizons, or to just have that FPS experience we do.

If FD relent and allow crossplay between Odyssey and 4.0 players (or Odyssey players the ability to run a 4.0 environment), they instantly lose that lure for a large number of 3.8 players. That's why I think they won't do it.

It's not a VERY REASONABLE REQUEST, as it makes the company lose money. YOU'RE ASKING THEM TO WORK FOR FREEEEEEEE.
So, follow your own advice and re-read what you just read.
I agree that fdev is not a charity and they have to make money to continue developing their games.
But I think they managed this the wrong way.

If they wanted to, let's say, motivate people to buy EDO, they should have made EDH4 time limited and SOLO only...

Doing it this way, EDO players wouldn't have felt scammed/deprived of a feature they are "entitled" to own and non-odyssey players could have sampled the new engine for some time only and would require buying the game to enjoy it further with other players.

I agree that fdev is not a charity and they have to make money to continue developing their games.
But I think they managed this the wrong way.

If they wanted to, let's say, motivate people to buy EDO, they should have made EDH4 time limited and SOLO only...

Doing it this way, EDO players wouldn't have felt scammed/deprived of a feature they are "entitled" to own and non-odyssey players could have sampled the new engine for some time only and would require buying the game to enjoy it further with other players.
This is ridiculous.

At no point did I ask for Odyssey free. I am asking to voluntarily downgrade to 4.0 from Odyssey and somehow that is "asking them to work for free".

This shouldn't even be a discussion. I am the person getting ed out of $60, but somehow F-Dev is the one getting fleeced?

Alright well that's enough then. I am not a regular here and for obvious reasons wont become one anytime soon, and since I have already said my piece.

TLDR on 4.0 Live
This patch was the final patch that broke the camels back for 4 players.

This is ridiculous.

At no point did I ask for Odyssey free. I am asking to voluntarily downgrade to 4.0 from Odyssey and somehow that is "asking them to work for free".

This shouldn't even be a discussion. I am the person getting ed out of $60, but somehow F-Dev is the one getting fleeced?

I think that what I suggested in my previous post could have (IMHO) been understood by all players :
  • EDH players could have sampled the new engine with limitations and,
  • EDO players wouldn't have been interested in the solo only part of a time limited demo.

That said they should have managed in a way that doesn't alienate EDO customers (like myself), but it too late for that now.

That would still not be good, especially for those who bought the lifetime expansion pass or the horizons expansion pack.
Revoking access to what people have bought in the past is a big red flag and a very scummy behavior.

As I said before, It would have made much more sense to just use a different name for the 4.0-Horizons package....4.0-OdysseyPreview would have been waaay better and less misleading, really. And people would not be complaining that they lost access to something they bought.
Odyssey players keep access to Horizons 3.8 I think?

Alright well that's enough then. I am not a regular here and for obvious reasons wont become one anytime soon, and since I have already said my piece.

TLDR on 4.0 Live

5/10 Bazmasons.
Did not provide enough details about the lengthy discussion that led to this conclusion.

PS. Sorry I do agree with you but just couldn’t help myself.. 🙂

Then those people should take the matter up with the small claims court or equivalent.
Unfortunately that wouldn't solve anything. At best they would receive refunds, but nothing about the game would change.

Remember when Sean Murray was grilled because NMS was missing features that he had promised at launch? Even the Guardian wrote about it. And we all know what happened after that: 22 major updates (and counting) adding massive amounts of gameplay features (way beyond what was initially promised) and graphical improvements. Such is the power of the sh..storm.

NMS may not be a game for you and me, but if you read NMS player comments, you can't help but notice they are a happy community, not a frustrated one.

Frontier on the other hand can do what they do because we let them get away with it. Instead of calling them out, many ED players just quietly withdraw from the game, knowing it will never be completed, fixed, or substantially improved.

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve anything. At best they would receive refunds, but nothing about the game would change.

Remember when Sean Murray was grilled because NMS was missing features that he had promised at launch? Even the Guardian wrote about it. And we all know what happened after that: 22 major updates (and counting) adding massive amounts of gameplay features (way beyond what was initially promised) and graphical improvements. Such is the power of the sh..storm.

NMS may not be a game for you and me, but if you read NMS player comments, you can't help but notice they are a happy community, not a frustrated one.

Frontier on the other hand can do what they do because we let them get away with it. Instead of calling them out, many ED players just quietly withdraw from the game, knowing it will never be completed, fixed, or substantially improved.
I'm a happy NMS player and look forward to purchasing the Switch version for my son.

Edit to add: When you have a happy playerbase, that playerbase is happy to give you money. I have no idea how much the Switch version costs, but I'm getting it because I'm happy with all the updates I've seen since I started playing. With ED it's totally different, I only play on Xbox and will not pay full price for it on the Microsoft store. Not happy to give FD my money for the game or ARX or anything else at the moment.

Last edited:

TLDR on 4.0 Live
I've got nothing against you personally or otherwise. When I said that it would make FD work for free, I meant that if you (1 Odyssey owner) and Horizons 4.0 (more than 1 not odyssey owners) can play together, practically FD have gifted the game to the other players (if playing together is the final goal).

It's a forum, we're not supposed to agree all the time. :) o7 cmdr.

Well it's bold strategy to burn what is left of your playerbase in hopes it will generate a profit.
Yeah the "dastardly shareholders" argument amuses me. I would have happily paid out full price for odyssey and kept buying arx if they'd released a better product; instead I bought it on sale and probably wouldn't have if not for wanting to instance with squad mates. And every subsequent decision that splits the player base more and just doesn't make sense, like not allowing players with odyssey to use 4.0 to instance with horizons users for space content...seriously? I've spent less money and probably won't buy any of their other products so if they're doing it for the shareholders they're doing it wrong.

It was definitely a combination of the blowback and their passion for the game. No amount of flak would have brought them this far if the heads at that studio didn’t have the love and passion for the game that they do. They love NMS far more than the heads at FDEV love Elite.

Top Bottom