$80? Wow....

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If this was EA, charging 60% on top of SimCity 2013, for early access/alpha/beta. I kid you not, people here would been kicking off a storm. I don't see the difference here, except desperation to play a genre that died off for the last 10 years.

I'm really surprised that people are allowing this, they wouldn't if it was some other IP. Just saying.

I pay 80 € for Simcity 2013 play it 10- 20 hours and delete it ,and never ever install it again i watch the first day,s to a login screen to play the game (server error after server error) that was no game.
And I never ever buy another game from EA.
I pay 250 € for Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls and play it 4000 + hours .
And I now fore sure that I play PC for many many hours and it is a good investment and if not I drink a bottle of grappa and continue with my life [big grin].

Last edited:
If this was EA, charging 60% on top of SimCity 2013, for early access/alpha/beta. I kid you not, people here would been kicking off a storm. I don't see the difference here, except desperation to play a genre that died off for the last 10 years.

I'm really surprised that people are allowing this, they wouldn't if it was some other IP. Just saying.

If you don't want to pay it, move on.. no one has a gun to your head. <waves bye!> "If you change your mind, you are more than welcome back"

Plus, if you really are savvy enough, one would see that the options presented outside of preordering the game are basically just a glorified "crowd funding" thing. They are trying to make this the best that they can and the only way to do that in this world is with the old green lubricant (no, not the chain lube)... so just think of it this way:

The option you buy, say the 80GBP Early Bird Special. This option buys you 30 pounds worth of game before it comes out, so that you will have it the moment it's available. It also buys you in probably for free into the Alpha/Beta to not only play around with it, but also report back on any game breaking bugs, or minor bugs, you find. This leaves 50 dollars. 50GBP here, goes into funding the team into further refining the game.

I will say this, it is not cheap to employ coders, artists, or the like. And I do mean not cheap AT ALLlllll... This is a multi-million pound team that they have put together. That 50GBP may not be much to you, or to the million's already spent... but it helps. And trust me, when it comes to financing something like this, a new comer in the world of gaming (relatively speaking) like Frontier needs all the help (read liquid capital) they can get to grease those cogs ;). This isn't Atari or EA we are dealing with here... This is only their 2nd game on their own without any other major financial backing (correct me if I'm wrong here please)... And their first one is very recent within itself... so yea. I don't mind spending 50 pounds more to get in on early play testing myself. If it's too rich for your blood, then we do pleasantly request that you, and others like you, to not bother anyone with such trivialities. I mean there's a reason they have a 750GBP option in there along with the 15 pound option, and everything in between.

Then, hell, there's also the cost of running this site/forum, keeping their PCs up to date and fixed when broken... bandwidth... I mean it cost a lot. This helps ...[uhh] some. [yesnod]

I mean a shilling helps no?[rolleyes][weird][squeeeeee]

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that I am interested in buying the Early Bird/Early Access, but need more definite system requirements before I do so that I can be sure that I won't be stuck with something I can't use. I could budget in the money if I was sure of being able to run it.

All I'm saying is that I am interested in buying the Early Bird/Early Access, but need more definite system requirements before I do so that I can be sure that I won't be stuck with something I can't use. I could budget in the money if I was sure of being able to run it.

Would be nice to know.

Can you run most of the AAA games released in the last year or two that use the latest DirectX?

And supposedly the same engine that their other game uses is being used so here's an approximation via what they already have on it's specs:

PLEASE NOTE: THIS VERSION OF ELITE DANGEROUS IS FOR PC AND MAC USE ONLY

WINDOWS MINIMUM HARDWARE SPECIFICATION:

• Processor: Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz)
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 260 / ATI 4870HD
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network Broadband Internet Connection
  • Hard Drive: 7 GB available space
WINDOWS RECOMMENDED HARDWARE SPECIFICATION:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X

Last edited:
Can you run most of the AAA games released in the last year or two that use the latest DirectX?

And supposedly the same engine that their other game uses is being used so here's an approximation via what they already have on it's specs:

PLEASE NOTE: THIS VERSION OF ELITE DANGEROUS IS FOR PC AND MAC USE ONLY

WINDOWS MINIMUM HARDWARE SPECIFICATION:

• Processor: Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz)
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 260 / ATI 4870HD
WINDOWS RECOMMENDED HARDWARE SPECIFICATION:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 770 / AMD Radeon R9 280X

We don't know anything about the official specs and all we can do is just speculate.

We don't know anything about the official specs and all we can do is just speculate.

That's what I mean, who knows how far off the speculation might be. They are going to be Starting the Early Bird next month, so they should know by now what will be needed. Theme Park Studio knew before they even started their Early Access and that game is really good. What makes it so hard for Frontier to know?

That's what I mean, who knows how far off the speculation might be. They are going to be Starting the Early Bird next month, so they should know by now what will be needed. Theme Park Studio knew before they even started their Early Access and that game is really good. What makes it so hard for Frontier to know?

I'd like to investigate new hardware now, so some recommended specs would be good. But i'm picking that by Christmas, those specs will get revised and so the later they leave it, they more they know. As soon as they publish specs, and we start buying hardware, we will be really mad if they change the answer. so radio silence is their only option.

I'd like to investigate new hardware now, so some recommended specs would be good. But i'm picking that by Christmas, those specs will get revised and so the later they leave it, they more they know. As soon as they publish specs, and we start buying hardware, we will be really mad if they change the answer. so radio silence is their only option.

What's your computer specs now?

I have the same, but a different GPU. You'll be fine with an upgrade of GPU only. :) unless you do some insane (and I mean.... Insane...) simulations that take hours at a time to do.

My 4770 can cope with games, but my old GTX Titan is starting to show its age in some games. But I just dial a few settings down. No problem.

I'm actually upgrading my PC though, but I can assure you it's not because of gaming, but for earning a living with it.

Last edited:

One of the benefits of early access is that they can see how the game perfoms across a large number of real world systems - so early access is part of how they will arrive at final specs for the game.

They actually have said quite a few times that they think it will be similar to ED specs, so people just need to make sure they exceed those specs. Which really, are not that high.

This is my new baby [big grin]

TVGQYBD.png

I'm guessing you re-used hard drives and optical drives from old systems too? I had 4 or 5 I think at one point. Now just one 2TB HDD and a 1TB SSD. Literally everything is installed on the SSD, it's the only way!

Yup i did + graka and Power Supply and the second hd is a 10.000 rpm with user docsmap ,temp files and some games.

Last edited:
The standard becoming more of 64bit 16gig gaming rigs, just fyi. You look at most recent titles like the witcher etc, each one bares a similar stance on min and max settings. My system while old still plays all game I have introduced to it within the last few months with only occasional hickups or adjustments needed. I say in another year I need to upgrade. If you are around this , you should be good, going below might be an issue for you at this point. I see my system at the line of needing an upgrade. Been gaming for 30+ years (in my 40's now) So just pointing this out that all these years, I am usually pretty much on the mark. So far so good, hope this helps some of you...

===========================================================
Time of this report: 2/21/2016, 08:41:35
Motherboard :Sabertooth Z77
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 4033 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1985 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2311gt 3D LCD Monito
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Power Supply: AX860i Digital ATX Power Supply — 860 Watt 80 PLUS® Platinum Certified Fully-Modular PSU
======================================================

And yes, even with an I5 I can run stuff like the witcher with no issues, just need a good combo of hardware. Good things to note as well is AMD sucks, sorry fans of AMD but your clocking is no were near efficient as intel, it's a back and forth war with those two manufactures, it's just like NVidia cards, still top dog when it comes price vs value vs usability, no doubt this will change in the coming years but for now, this remains true. My biggest advice, NEVER go cheap on computer hardware, you will ALWAYS regret it. When I bought this system it cost me around 2,500-3,000, but my new notebook cost me 3k, so alas it all depends how u shop, but if you buy a new rig say every 6 years, 3 / 6 = 200.00 a year is not a bad investment. Save up, that's what I do :) Did have to replace my power supply last year sadly, it happens, but before this I was on an 850, now up to 860, sadly power supplies are now the most expensive part of a good rig.

PS. Also btw, SSD drives are amazing things, I really held off getting one, got one this year, I run my OS on it and about 20 games and when I need room, I transfer back to my 2 tera drive. It is amazing how fast games like League of Legends and the Witcher load, just amazingly quick. Day and night if you ask me , not to mention your OS bootup. Totally worth it now, prices are descent. So good luck to you all! Finally btw for those in the know of the gaming scene, my system runs Xcom2 flawlessly and sadly (From what I read) many have issue with that game, Happy to say no issues with this rig build.

Last edited:
Talk about a rip off here, sorry if this is already posted, but I was gonna pre-order the early bird to be able to play in the alpha, but for $80 is just way too much for game+beta access. Do you get something else, other than beta access I don't know about?

I'm Australian so it worked about about $105 - $110
Which is sadly about right for some new release or pre-order titles.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom