Alec's best of the forum (and elsewhere) [v2]

Trending: April patch notes (sorry, bit late with that one), Pilots Federation rescues stranded commander, DW2 draws to a close (but FGPE rolls on) and absent forum contributors remembered.

Trending: and the winner is ...
Synuefe EN-H d11-96

giphy.gif

Patch aimed for next Tuesday the 14th May.

Added "Sol - nearest interesting star systems" list (from hozbase "Elite Dangerous Utilities" website) to the "misc' other useful and/or interesting links" section.

Also - been a bit slack on this but I've added a link the DW2 "Epilogue" thread to the end of my Distant Worlds 2 section.

Last edited:
Ever since the move to the new forums I've noticed that old links which point to a specific post within a thread aren't being correctly redirected to that specific post within the new forum and are instead being sent to the first post of the thread.

I've written a 'sed' command line to correct this and have now run the contents of post #2 through this so all the links should now point to the correct place.

If anyone else is curious about fixing these broken redirect links (and I'm also going to "report" this post so the mod's get to see it) and is familiar with the linux 'sed' command then I'll share my command below in case you want to fix your own threads. Basically what you need to do is edit your post containing the broken links, copy and paste the source BB code into a text file, 'cat' the file through my 'sed' command into another file, and then copy and paste the contents of that second file back over the top of your original forum post and save it again.

Bash:
sed -e '
    s/\(https:\/\/forums\.frontier\.co\.uk\/\)showthread\.php\/\([0-9][0-9]*\)[?]p=[0-9][0-9]*#post\([0-9][0-9]*\)/\1threads\/\2\/post-\3/g
'

Trending: an astonishing assortment of mountain ranges

Also: I've added Cmdr Mach1ne's wonderful "Welcome to the Club" video to the "screenshots and video and songs section".

I've added the tale of @JonathanBurnage and crew's extraordinary journey down to a system 3,393 light years below the galactic plane to the Epic Tales of Derring Do section. I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologise to Cmdr Burnage for taking so long to make this update. I'm not sure which required more perseverance ... making that journey or patiently asking me every week or so whether I'd done it yet.

At least I managed to finally make the update before somebody else broke the record! (I assume?) 😬

o7

Trending: Commander protests against Frontier's ineffectiveness at dealing with cheats ... by cheating ... and promptly gets banned! Errr, 1-0 to Frontier or is it all a little bit more complicated than that? ;)

Edit: as I listen to the interview with the commander in question I come to appreciate that he's one of the most calm, considered and reasonable voices I've ever listened to on the subject and that my glib 1-0 comment above is unfair. Total respect to the guy. Frontier? By simply banning the guy you just scored an own goal!

Edit: and now it transpires he's been cheating for ages before his Beluga stunt, which kinda changes everything (again). Think I'll stick to reporting on new Isinona videos, races, expeditions and epic tales of derring do from now on.

Last edited:
Trending: strong suggestion that FD are (will be?) working on NPC SRVs! o_O (aka: See Frontier? See how even a teensy bit of info goes a long way in encouraging positive discussion about what you are working on rather than negative discussion about what you're not working on! ;))

Last edited:
Today's my last day before a 10 day holiday. Before I go I'd like to showcase two new videos, both demonstrations of piloting skills honed and perfected over time but from two utterly different disciplines.

First off, another in the series from Cmdr David187 where he valiantly takes on the best commanders in Elite Dangerous in 1-on-1 PvP battles. This week it's the infamous Harry Potter.

Source: https://youtu.be/tntM-suVtgo

And secondly, a new submission from the reigning champion of the Pomeche Ridge challenge (linked in my signature), the galaxy's most testing SRV race. The challenge involves driving some 50+ kilometres along one of the ridges of the legendary ice world of Pomeche 2C. As with the above this seems almost leisurely but that belies the supreme levels of skill and dedication which have gone into achieving this level of perfection.

Source: https://youtu.be/GXwf5-fZsjI

I would like to dedicate this post to all those commanders who have devoted their time and effort to honing their skills in the Elite: Dangerous universe.

o7

@besieger @turkwinif

Last edited:
Top Bottom