Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod

Speaking of, some are complaining that I haven't updated the OP, but I specifically stated that I need people to test the shaders I recently uploaded before I update the main OP. I'm still waiting for positive feedback stating, ""
These shaders are working great for me, Duck!

Caveat: not using or testing the HUD hiding stuff.

These shaders are working great for me, Duck!

Caveat: not using or testing the HUD hiding stuff.
So your galactic core and nebula are desaturated and shifted towards blue, and your sun & stars are way brighter?

I may release a few more shaders for testing (things that adjust various cockpit and station lighting to be less "blown out") before updating OP. This way I'm updating the OP just once instead of four of five times for each release.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not to release the shaders for my very pretty HUD....

maybe it has been said, but, if you want realism, the dustlane should actually be rendered stars, the sky map being totally black with the nearest bright stars is not realistic at all... ever been to a dark site in which you can see the Milky Way with your eyes?

I have... its what we would see when we don't have glare from a local star... to make the skimp perfectly black and then talk about realism... is a weird thing indeed

So your galactic core and nebula are desaturated and shifted towards blue, and your sun & stars are way brighter?

I may release a few more shaders for testing (things that adjust various cockpit and station lighting to be less "blown out") before updating OP. This way I'm updating the OP just once instead of four of five times for each release.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not to release the shaders for my very pretty HUD....

Have tested and reported that they work for me :)

Don't care too much for ship colours or decals, but would like the pretty HUD.

MP

Looks promising! Will give this a go later when I’m back on my pc , thanks!

EDIT: whoops post seems to have changed since I first looked at this post...! Did it not work?

Had another try at the Night Vision:

SBUZ9NK.jpg

xAbJzYk.jpg

Check file for // < < HERE and adjust according to taste.

Could not find a conflict, but needs testing :)

MP

Attachments

• 0f2b92ba5625c61f-ps_replace.txt
    21 KB · Views: 158
Don't care too much for ship colours or decals, but would like the pretty HUD.
I won't be releasing anything that overlaps cosmetics that Frontier sells. Wouldn't work anyway, as it affects ALL ships. But I might at least add a toggle to make old, dusty interiors look new. Bit by bit, release this and that, have you all test it, give Frontier a chance to pull the plug, rinse & repeat.

Looks promising! Will give this a go later when I’m back on my pc , thanks!
I took a different approach, as I wanted something that looked a little more mil-spec.

NV Before 1.jpg

NV After 1.jpg

NV Before 2.jpg

NV After 2.jpg

I'm out in the middle of nowhere (thousands of LY from Bubble), so I can't test at a nightside planetary outpost, which is where I'd fine tune this if I could.

Attachments

• 0f2b92ba5625c61f-ps_replace.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 165
I thought so too on the green, but surprisingly the blue works for me. But ideally - I'd like just edge lines, and have them softended down. Maybe I need to get my hands dirty on the coding - but I know less than zero on the coding and shaders front (other than taking a guess as to the RGB value of the code @Old Duck just provided in the shader override)

I thought so too on the green, but surprisingly the blue works for me. But ideally - I'd like just edge lines, and have them softended down. Maybe I need to get my hands dirty on the coding - but I know less than zero on the coding and shaders front (other than taking a guess as to the RGB value of the code @Old Duck just provided in the shader override)
Code:
// Attenuate "Tron" lines
  // TODO - something more elegant (I'm just experiment at the moment)
  if (o0.a > 0.2) o0.a /= 20;
  else if (o0.a > 0.08) o0.a /= 5;

// Use green "MIL-SPEC" night vision, increasing overall brightness
  o0.rgb = float3(0, o0.g*5, 0);
You can dial back how bright the NV is by changing the 5 in that last line. In fact, if you are looking for bright "Tron" lines and very dim glow, you can take the above code and basically reverse it. It would look something like this:
Code:
if (o0.a < 0.2) o0.a /= 20;
Notice with this change I'm attenuating any pixels with an alpha LESS than 0.2, thus leaving the bright "Tron" lines while greatly reducing the glow effect. The 20 is the amount of attenuation, which you'll just have to play with to get the effect you want.

I rarely use night vision, but when I do, my personal preference is something akin to this:

1.jpg

But I'm nowhere near the Bubble, so I can't test planetary bases at night (where I normally use NV).

Anyway, YMMV. Like I said, I write these shaders for ME and then release them for others to play with. Take them or leave them 🤷

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
My main problem with the NV is that there is no reason not to use it - bright light does not blind you, and it shows ships much more prominent than normal - feels like cheating myself using it.

I tested some of your shaders (bright sun) and it worked great.

I must say this mod is great - I can finally turn my cockpit lights off when I'm not near a station so it's not like driving a car at night with the reading lights on.

Is there a way to disable the whole screen star colour/station colour overlay they introduced with the new lighting update? Since it makes the cockpit vomit-coloured in yellow star systems, I'd much rather it wasn't there.

Top Down Normal.jpg

The galaxy as seen "top down" using new shader, a long distance away from main star (which makes skybox brighter if you have prototype lighting turned off). It's not perfect, as now the core is too blue IMO. I'm not sure if there is any skybox tinting going on. Turning off the ship's lights (thus enabling "my eyes have adjusted to the dark" mode), gives the following:

Top Down Lights Off Eyes Adjusted.jpg

Normally I fly either in the Bubble, or at least more vertically centered in the galactic plane, and that's what I calibrated the shader for. Feel free to tweak the shader to better balance colors to where you tend to spend your time. While dropping below / above the plane is a fun excersion, I don't plan to be here long. I prefer a more "traditional" star field for my skybox :D

Empty skybox best skybox. :)
I'm Goldilocks - I don't want too many stars (the core) or too few stars (the edge), but rather "just right". Speaking of, I'm not convinced it would be pitch black space at the edge of the galaxy. The universe has as many galaxies as the Milky Way has stars IIRC, so surely we would be able to see a sky full of "fuzzy stars" that are actual distant galaxies from out on the rim. No?

I'm Goldilocks - I don't want too many stars (the core) or too few stars (the edge), but rather "just right". Speaking of, I'm not convinced it would be pitch black space at the edge of the galaxy. The universe has as many galaxies as the Milky Way has stars IIRC, so surely we would be able to see a sky full of "fuzzy stars" that are actual distant galaxies from out on the rim. No?
STScI-gallery-1427a-2000x960.png

Each of those points of light is a galaxy. That is what Hubble saw when it focused on a tiny patch of sky for a few days. Can a game model our entire universe for realistic visuals for when we sit on the edge of our galaxy? :oops:

STScI-gallery-1427a-2000x960.png

Each of those points of light is a galaxy. That is what Hubble saw when it focused on a tiny patch of sky for a few days. Can a game model our entire universe for realistic visuals for when we sit on the edge of our galaxy? :oops:
A generic single skybox prerendered to approximate what we would see "out there" would be more than enough. Unlike stars, we're not traveling to distant galaxies, so there is no more need to dynamically render a new galactic skybox for each solar system than there is a need to render a new star skybox for each planet in a single solar system.

Not that I'm personally asking for this. I came, I saw, and I'm now about to leave the edge of space where blackness reigns. Unless Raxxla is found out here, I doubt I'll be back. I'll buy Space Engine if I want an entire universe of galaxies realisticallyish rendered (which answers your question).

Top Bottom