An open letter to Frontier Development

There have been films recently (The Hustle comes to mind) where people have signed off their rights to their story, then once there was a profit decided they were misinformed and started a lawsuit. I'm sure the same could be true of other more minor works - submit something, then turn around and claim it drove purchases and claim a share. Might not win in court, but the company still has all that hassle to deal with, and may well end up settling out of court just to make it go away

So yeah, not exactly the same, but basically 'it's a mine field' :D

Isn't the Witcher another famous example? I think CDPR initially offered the author 1% of the profit but he thought nobody would buy their crappy games and demanded a fixed amount of cash instead. Later when the third game really took off, he demanded compensation. :D

Great post, Kai Zen!

The apparent role of GalNet in Elite Dangerous has always been something of a puzzle to me, given GalNet's actual function in Elite lore. To quote the wiki :

The Pilots Federation derives the bulk of its wealth from the GalNet data network. Originally a system of ship, bounty and star-chart data, it evolved into an interstellar aggregator of market information and galactic news. By 3300, the Pilots Federation was not only the dominant provider of this information, it's also the main manufacturer of the hardware and software serving this data.

Essentially, the Pilots Federation (i.e. the exclusive organisation to which all CMDRs belong) IS GalNet...

So as a CMDR what you'd expect to see on your GalNet feed is stories with a heavy CMDR-centric bias - i.e. information about new exploration initiatives, a list of the galaxy's current top 10 most wanted criminals (and their bounties - which would also be paid by the Pilots Federation by the way), the hottest scoops on where the best market prices are to be found on any given day, and breaking political/Powerplay stories that might affect your job opportunities in positive or negative ways. Basically anything relevant to your status as a jobbing CMDR in the Pilots Federation.

Now you could argue that Community Goals did fall into that category somewhat, but the coverage of them in the GalNet articles always had a feeling of... dislocation to me, as if it was merely incidental that CMDRs were getting involved.

The way they were handled, along with other stories of the kind some posters in this thread have called 'fluff articles', led me to feel that I was watching a wedge being driven between GalNet and the Pilots Federation as represented by the players. Not just in ingame lore terms, but also as regards involvement of social & community reactions to GalNet articles.

For me personally, the whole thing reached a head with the Aisling Duval wedding engagement debacle.

A great lore-heavy GalNet article showed us the story behind the engagement, why it was so significant for the politics of the galaxy, and also gave us a specific time and place for the actual event itself ingame, leading many to conclude there was going to be a matching, observable 'something' going on in that system at that time. In fact it looked like there were going to be opportunities for Pilots Federation CMDRs to get directly involved, either for profit or status (or both).

But then... nothing.

The date came and went, and the story fizzled out with some footnote about cancellations and alleged affairs, and what had potentially been a doorway to a new and exciting story path was slammed shut without another word. In the end it had just been yet another 'fluff article' with no meaning outside of its own appearance on the GalNet website.

Except to the Elite Dangerous community.

I remember at the time how excited the community got about the engagement, and all the gossip and speculation about what it might mean for the future of both the Empire and the Federation. I even made a small video myself with Aisling Duval giving a little emotional speech about her engagement (it's still one of my most watched videos actually, even now). That story caught the attention of the playerbase like no other GalNet 'fluff article' I'd seen... and then poof - it just disappeared without a trace.

That was when I truly felt a disconnect between the role that GalNet was listed as playing in Elite lore, and the incarnation of GalNet that I was witnessing ingame and on the website. Early on it was quite common to see the antics and achievements of CMDRs being mentioned, which is what one would expect for a media outlet feed tailored to the cockpits of fellow CMDRs of course, but even that started to disappear after a while. To me it felt like a missed opportunity - here was a lore-friendly, tailor made platform for communicating with CMDRs (players), and the actual engagement (no pun intended) that GalNet had with those players was steadily declining.

With all that in mind, I can't say I was terribly surprised when the announcement was made that GalNet stories would be disappearing, because the version of GalNet as imagined for Elite Dangerous always felt like trying to wedge a square peg into a round hole to me.

I would love to see a return of GalNet in future, but I'd hope that next time it would be in a format that better fits with the whole CMDR-centric focus of existing game lore.

@OP some good points, some not so good and not the best decision to label it an open letter as this term is burnt.

Anyway full support for the general point you‘ve made (something needs to happen, more functionalities mean NOTHING without story telling).

One thing that I really like about your post is the politeness you‘ve applied. Bravo!

Fun fact: keeping things shorter generally helps a good cause to be heard, no offense.

After being in Elite for over a month, I am aware that everyone loves that girl with the blue hair because her shields are really sexy. Also, space invaders.

I have no idea why Frontier is so averse to creating exciting stories about this galaxy for us on a regular basis. Genuinely. I'm stumped.

It's just down to money and time, It is my suspicion that fdev are not prepared to put in the extra resources in to keep the living game going (ie. Galnet, CGs and IIs). The resources are being spend, attempting to fix bugs and on the Fleet Carriers. The horrible truth of the matte is that the Buget for this year has already been allocated (and probably already spent) and they've decided on their approach.

Let me just say I completely agree with the OP but it's like changing course in an oil tanker (or maybe a fleet carrier) and to try now would probably mean that Fleet Carriers get delayed again.

It's just down to money and time, It is my suspicion that fdev are not prepared to put in the extra resources in to keep the living game going (ie. Galnet, CGs and IIs). The resources are being spend, attempting to fix bugs and on the Fleet Carriers. The horrible truth of the matte is that the Buget for this year has already been allocated (and probably already spent) and they've decided on their approach.
Frontier is a £500 million market cap company.

It has a 7:1 asset vs liability profile.

It has £40 million cash in the bank.

And they can't hire someone to develop interesting lore and flesh out the stories of this galaxy? Seriously?

This is the flagship. It has a "New Era" coming. And this is how the foundation is laid?

[...]
With all that in mind, I can't say I was terribly surprised when the announcement was made that GalNet stories would be disappearing, because the version of GalNet as imagined for Elite Dangerous always felt like trying to wedge a square peg into a round hole to me.
[...]

Short history of Galnet:

giphy.gif

I too was disappointed when the so called "fluff" Galnet articles ceased. They were what kept me engaged even when I couldn't play.
Sure, some of them felt like missteps (the terrorist takeover for instance). But the rest provided possible leads. For myself I was never bothered by the fact that many articles seemed to be dead ends. That simply added to the mystery. It always felt like the next secret could slip out just at any time.

Additionally, for anyone interested, many provided context for the various CG's in-game (hints as to what side we should support to make things more interesting). Sadly no matter how many times they did that, the players always chose to do whatever made them the most money fastest. And then they complained when nothing exciting happened.

I also remember the sheer number of people who started "raging" on these forums at the time about how they never led anywhere. Complaints about wild goose chase were (and still are it seems) rampant. Speaking for myself, who cares if the search was a wild goose chase? What else were you going to be doing with your time? Flying a pretend starship somewhere else?

Those lore articles gave the game a semblance of life. And many of the storylines had yet to reach their conclusion. If Frontier can, they really should bring them back.

So robot Rachel reads Galnet.
Galnet is too much work for Devs.
Here's a tip, have robot Rachel read the info on any system you enter, listing system state, bounties, traffic, etc. that appears in the system info tab in a station menu.
Then we get system relevant news, no fluff, and some sign of life.
Might even be spectacular if you could tune into the news in any system.

I feel for you OP. Pretty clear we're in
zombie.jpg

This seems like an ideal moment to sincerely thank the Frontier Development Community Management Team for their kind words today during the Live Stream. I am completely aware that handling a matter such as this will take time and thought but it's really gratifying having been heard and I hope for the sake of the many people who have shown support in this thread that there will be further news on this matter that will bring smiles to our faces. This clip is que'd to the response in question for those who were unable to catch the stream:
Source: https://youtu.be/_RaiQverinU?t=16m54s

I am a huge fan of your company and devoted player of your game, as well as purchaser of many, many paint jobs. I am the co-host of a podcast every week that is dedicated to the amazing thing that you have created. I love so many aspects of it that were I to fully unpack that statement it would require a whole other thread. The faithful one-to-one recreation of our entire galaxy is monumentally impressive to me.

This, along with the fact that unlike almost every other MMO out today you can actually play this game as something other than a murder hobo. 99.9% of all the games on the market are some variation of ‘go to a cave, meet an orc, kill the orc, take its cake, go to next cave’. This may be dressed up as changing the cave to a space station, arena, jungle zone etc; and changing orc to terrorist, space marine or zombie, etc; but the experience is the same. Elite, however, allows me to meaningfully fly around and explore (wherein I get to live out my NASA fantasy) or engage in many other meaningful non combat activities. When you add that to the superb flight mechanics for combat activities (for times that I do wish to do combat) you have quite simply created a wonderful product which I call (stolen quote from a friend) “my forever game.”

One of the most impressive and beloved aspects of this game, and indeed one of the things that convinced me to purchase it, is the amazing depth of the narrative and lore of Elite. The entire series going back to 1984 was created with a superb eye to detail on the story of the expanded universe. The inclusion of the novella ‘The Dark Wheel’ in the original game box was visionary and quite simply ahead of its time. The inclusion of five different in-game newspapers that were accessible in the game menu of ‘Frontier: First Encounters’ (1995) was an act of pure genius that to this day I have not seen recreated. This eye for detail was lovingly carried forward all the way to Elite: Dangerous.

In this current iteration of the Elite series you kept so many of the lore touchstones and masterfully seeded the galaxy with little gems of both lore and narrative to be enjoyed by both returning veterans and fresh new commanders alike. The lively and colorful Galnet News articles that could be read or listened to directly in the cockpit were a vital part of weaving a deep and rich tapestry that transformed this title from a game to a fully immersive world in which we live.

On August 7 2019 you announced through Community Manager Stephen Benedetti:

Hello Commanders,

Our galaxy is filled with a plethora of stories, places, and people, which are all part off the rich canon of Elite Dangerous, explored through many of our GalNet articles.

While GalNet provides an understanding of life in the 3300s, it hasn't always had a direct impact on your gameplay. We have been reviewing the effect this has had on your in-game experience, along with your feedback, and as a result, we’re going to be reducing the number of GalNet stories that we produce and instead focus on covering in-game content.

In the foreseeable future, GalNet articles will concentrate on in-game activity, such as Interstellar Initiatives, the release of new ships and modules, and significant narrative developments. With this change, we will be stopping the 'off-camera' narratives that we have previously published via GalNet.

We hope you have enjoyed the many stories that we have told, and as always please share your thoughts and feedback with us.

At the time I was a little disheartened by this event but unsure of the exact nature of the extent of the change. Now, I believe sufficient time has elapsed that I may thoughtfully give you the feedback you requested in that post.

“While Galnet provides and understanding of life in the 3300s, it hasn’t always had a direct impact on your gameplay.”

I am sorry, but I must say that I do not agree with this statement. A vital part of my experience within this game was simply existing in the rich world of wonder and mystery that the greater canon of both lore and narrative created. The fact that some stories may not (as of yet) have some tangible location in game that is known to me (Raxxla, The Halsey incident and the “caretakers of the galaxy”, or even the “place of light and wonder” that the maddened mechanic who stole a DBX was attempting to reach that apparently prompted you to scale back Galnet) is immaterial. The fact that they could potentially exist is fuel for my imagination and is to my mind a source of immeasurable added wealth to the experience.

I would like to most sincerely beseech you to bring back the gift of wonder that you previously provided to us on a regular basis; and if you must appease some people who would complain about stories that are not 100% concretely tied to a specific ISI or CG, then consider allowing them a toggle box to ‘turn off’ this feature lest they be burdened with hearing awesome stories.

“In the foreseeable future, GalNet articles will concentrate on in-game activity,”

You have been blessed with an embarrassing wealth of riches when it comes to a varied and enthusiastic community that provides completely tangible in-game activity on a weekly basis. At the time of this writing you have multiple in-game expeditions and events going on including:

1. The Expedition of Perseus Reach, which was planned for a year and has over 400 members taking small ships out to the furthest point of the galaxy.
  2. The Hutton Orbital Truckers are continuing in their mission to share the joy of ‘player with player’ content with ‘Operation Hot Mess’ in which they are doing an active survey of every station and market in the entire game.
  3. HAXCOM has planned an event for February 26th in which they will be showing players the finer points of anti-xeno combat culminating with a class on ‘How to Pop a Clops!’
  4. Frontier Developments (you may have heard of them) are doing a charity event in which they will be auctioning off naming rights to certain galactic bodies and stations as well as special limited edition paint jobs.
  5. HCS Voice packs have released their new “Alpha” voice pack.
  6. GameGlass have just rolled out their new product line for use with Elite: Dangerous.
  7. Drew Wagar is beginning preparations for his Lore Tour and has put out details of where and when people can come in-game to join in on the tour in person that will be taking part every week for 15 installments celebrating the history of the Elite series.
  8. Frontier Developments livestreams:
    1. Put out a call for submissions of #Stellar Screenshots and
    2. Featured AXI and demonstration to commanders new to AXI combat how it works.
  9. Commander Exigeous's group, Level 11, every week hosts ‘Sidewinder Slaughter’, a fun and new player-friendly PVP event. This event is held every Monday at 8pm EST as it's a convenient time zone for American players and every Wednesday night at 8PM UTC as it's convenient for European players.
  10. Operation Ida are celebrating their 100th station repair which is an epic achievement with a weekend-long celebration including various activities and contests.
  11. EDTutorials.com launched as a database specifically designed to assist Elite commanders to locate guides on every aspect of the game.
  12. Reddit dropped an excellent Thargoid Activity Map to help illustrate to commanders the nature of the AX conflict as it now stands. (https://i.redd.it/fvlx4wn38if41.jpg )
These are all current news items off the top of my mind alone (and I do not doubt that others would easily triple the size of this list). They could all be given ‘in-universe’ descriptions that could be announced on Galnet. I would encourage you to use them to help you provide news as well as provide free content which you have the ability to pass onto your playerbase to keep them engaged, and grow the game.

“and significant narrative developments. With this change, we will be stopping the 'off-camera' narratives that we have previously published via GalNet.”

While you did publish an article announcing the return of the Thargoid attacks, there has been a significant change to the level and nature of the attacks as well as the usefulness of the Eagle Eye Network. These are concrete in-game events that very clearly and directly match the criteria above. In addition to this, there are a long list of modifications that have been made and are continuing to be made resulting from the January patch. These include a significant modification to our FSS systems, the addition of crewmembers to our insurance policies, and the ongoing story that is the many changes to the market system pertaining to mined materials - just to name a few. All of these items on their own could have been turned into a Galnet article.

I freely acknowledge that those articles will then need to be translated to all of the covered languages but as you already have a mechanism in place for this I feel the added value of the content warrants this time expenditure.

In spite of the abundance of material cited above, at the time of this being written there are no available articles on Galnet in the cockpit, as the last official article rotated out of service and no new articles have been published for over 30 days. For a game built on a backbone of some of the finest storytelling in the industry this is truly a sad moment. The forums are awash with commentary on this: Obsidian Ant, Buur Witchspace News, Hello Dave (D2EA), Lave Radio, Galnet News Digest, Hutton Orbital Radio, Loose Screws Podcast, Guard Frequency Podcast and more community-driven news sources have all lamented this fact. You stated that the purpose of this change was in response to feedback you received on the issue, and I would like to state now that the community feedback seems to be fairly unanimous on this fact: we would all like to implore you to bring Galnet back to us.

In addition to these items listed above I would like to implore you to make use of the following sources of information for future articles:

1. Galnet News Digest (Commander Wotherspoon): Who regularly puts out witty and fascinating news from around your galaxy, such as the recent story of the five commanders on an expedition who went on an SRV excursion and when they recalled their ships watched on in horror as the ships nose dived directly into the planet in a ball of fiery destruction. These pilots refused to pay their insurance premium but rather ‘sued the manufacturer for the defect’ (opened a ticket to report the bug and get their ships back). While Wotherspoon does cover some topics that could potentially be outside the scope of what you want covered in Galnet, he is a pro and could certainly filter out those while submitting you suitable content.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG8WqlR1ua6mjkq9qQHrnZQ]

2. Sagittarius Eye magazine, who put out the finest community-created content that this (or any other game in my opinion) has ever made. This staff includes real professional journalists and editors alongside intelligent and engaged community members. They regularly produce all in-game lore publications that are both fascinating and meticulously-researched to match in-game lore. They could submit edited content for you to supply to your players. https://www.sagittarius-eye.com/

3. A player submission process: this one is slightly more of a reach and I would understand if it simply involves prohibitive cost at this time but I would so very much love a process whereby players can go to your site and submit articles of upcoming events or stories in an in-game, lore-friendly format that would hopefully require minimal effort for someone in your Community Management Team to filter and pass on suitable submissions to whomever in the Development Team would be handling Galnet.

I know that all of this may seem ambitious but this would cover my entire list of desires for the game’s news system.
So, to sum up:

1. Please re-institute the fictional narrative that was removed.

2. Please expand coverage to include tangible community events and stories that are now happening.

3. Please consider reaching out to Galnet News Digest, Sag-I and the playerbase for in-universe story submissions.

I freely admit that the added work which would need to take place by your staff to incorporate any or all of these changes would be considerable but I believe the added value to the players of your game and the player experience, as well as the overall growth and viability of your product, would be demonstrably greater.

I would completely understand if you are not swayed entirely by this letter but would like to thank you for taking the time to read this and listen to my feelings on this matter. Your company has been often cited as industry-leading with your customer service policies and I know that this comes from a sincere desire to provide a great product for your customers. Maybe as a compromise you would consider posting a poll to help you gauge the playerbase’s feelings?

One last thing - while I know that I have no power to control how others choose to express themselves I would like to personally ask each player who responds to this thread to please try and be civil in their criticism to Frontier on this issue as I believe that negativity does nothing but close down access to the people we would hope to persuade.

Thank you,

CMDR Kai Zen
I partially disagree. The fact that Galnet is "empty" actually shows how little content there is in the game. All the things listed are group activities by players. It doesn't cater to solo players or those that live in time zones incompatible to those "community" events. I think Galnet in its current state actually sums up perfectly my experience with the game as it currently stands.

FDev (Probably):
"We've heard the concerns of the community regarding the rich narrative and amazing lore provided through Galnet and that is why we've come to the difficult decision to redirect our efforts from Carriers and the New Era to focus on bringing more Galnet content. We will begin working on adding Galnet content on a regular basis and will work with community leaders to ensure the game world is filled with engaging and richly detailed stories that you all will be able to enjoy. This change, unfortunately, pushes back the release of carriers and the new era to an undetermined timeframe. We only have 100 people working on this game and we want to make sure we get Galnet right. We think this move is in the best interest of the game and its wonderful community. Thank you all for your love and support."

I don't disagree with what you wrote, but every one of these posts gives FDev another out. Another excuse to kick the can down the road. There has been nothing meaningful added to this game for a long time.

It's like they take something away from the existing game (break the game, stop Galnet, etc...) so that it generates posts like this which gives them an excuse for not delivering new content. We need to stop giving them excuses for a while and hold their feet to the fire on all the progress they have not made with the game.

I fully agree with the points in this open letter.

I think another valid point that I know FDev have struggled with is delivery. There have been periods in the past where I got a little out of touch with Galnet, simply because I didn't think to sit and read a wall of text when I was trying to enjoy flying a spaceship. I understand that having fully voiced Galnet audio was an attempted solution for that, but I don't really find myself using that so much either. The Galnet audio worked well while I was out exploring, or surface prospecting, but for zipping between stations running missions or doing combat, it was kind of lost in the background while I was concentrating on more pressing matters.

Shortly before FDev's changes to (read: gutting of) Galnet I had started using a free, third party Android app on my phone, which I could set to show a notification whenever there was a new Galnet article. This worked superbly, because I could read Galnet while waiting for an elevator, eating lunch at work, etc. This would keep Elite fresh in my mind throughout the week, and didn't feel like it was detracting from my game time one bit. I do believe that is the perfect delivery method, and that a lot more people would consume Galnet articles if delivered outside of the game like this.

Frontier is a £500 million market cap company.

It has a 7:1 asset vs liability profile.

It has £40 million cash in the bank.

And they can't hire someone to develop interesting lore and flesh out the stories of this galaxy? Seriously?

This is the flagship. It has a "New Era" coming. And this is how the foundation is laid?

From observation, Frontier seem to be a very conservative company when it comes to their planning. If a budget is approved for that year for a product, they normally stick to it. And we know that the budget for the non New Era stuff is quite small (taken from the investor briefing last year), so I'm not expecting much.

New Era will be different but for the moment we're kind of stuck in Limbo.

Top Bottom