Another disappointment

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The Thargoid content has kept the game alive through troubling times in the industry. If you don't like it, don't get involved with it. If you've done everything else possible in the game as it is now, you're the first to actually beat this unbeatable game.

Some people should try looking at the big picture for once. Their own tiny bubble of reality is meaningless in the grand scheme.

Really hoping the Python Mk2 is an AX-specific variant, oh to see the reactions :)

herbert lom twitch.gif

Perhaps I write a lot about VR and it seems offtopic.

I just wanted to say that we probably don’t need so much new, but we need to strengthen the advantages of ED that already exist. VR is one example because there are people who play ED only because of VR.
It's also why I think onfoot VR is going to be a way off unless it's bankrolled by a third party. The best aspect of VR in Elite is definitely going to be the cockpit; the ship gives you space, the SRV gives you the ground. I'm not saying that onfoot wouldn't be good or desired, at the least by me, but unless we accept limited onfoot interaction that effectively is a camera suite type thing with the HUD and controller/HOTAS/keyboard only controls the movie projection screen inside the headset is going to be it for quite a while. The only thing I would ask of Frontier in relation to that is to create a more immersive depiction of it rather than a screen just hanging in a grey void.

Maybe if technology advances enough that a VR headset is completely wireless and the size, shape and weight of normal sunglasses (and can be used equally easily), and the price is that of your typical hand-held console, then perhaps wider adoption will happen.

I'm not saying that's impossible, but it might take some time, if it ever happens.
I think this will be the way, some form of Geforce streaming from a main PC to a something that could be mistaken for a pair of swimming goggles.

What do "we" want?
Cheese, Chocolate, Chips*, CH3CH2OH. ie all the important food groups.

*These are also misnamed french fries by food snobs and others.
One thing is certain: If update 19 doesn't bring the Python MkII, there will be riots.
I know he is almost alone but let @Rubbernuke have is moment of glory, they can compensate the rest of us with new ships any time in the next 10 months.

Wouldn't most of this be fixed by delivery mission distances scaling to the new and improved jump ranges better (for longer trips) and delivery missions/source missions having meaningfully different rewards (since sourcing will still be 1-2 hops for almost anything in an engineered ship).
Not really - even with a long multi-jump delivery mission:
- most of the intervening systems are irrelevant because you're there long enough to scoop and move on, and that's if you haven't got enough fuel to cross the bubble in one go already (that's why you need to drop in far from the star, and that's why pre-population of new supercruise instances is needed) - if someone does interdict you at an intermediate then submit-high wake solves the problem
- if there was any significant distinction in in-system danger you could just skip the intermediate dangerous ones with a route filter (which is why restriction to ~10LY is needed)
- you can just beat the interdictions anyway in most ships, or submit/boost/low-wake in the rest, and not need to worry too much. Chain interdictions in that scenario only happen to "pirate approved 0.06" supercruise approaches. (which is again, pre-population and much harsher interdiction rules)
- and of course there's generally nothing stopping you using a Fleet Carrier to just teleport right next to the destination station - the payout needed to make a long range delivery mission economically sensible for a non-FC owner will more than cover the fuel costs for a FC owner. (which is unfixable so long as FCs can move)

At the moment a 200 LY delivery mission and a 20 LY delivery mission have basically the same difficulty, it's just that the longer one involves pressing the hyperspace key a few more times.

Some people should try looking at the big picture for once. Their own tiny bubble of reality is meaningless in the grand scheme.
The big picture is only known by Frontier, as consumers we can't know the big picture. I'll stick to if a service provider wants me to pay for something, they have to provide a service I want :)

The Thargoid content has kept the game alive through troubling times in the industry. If you don't like it, don't get involved with it. If you've done everything else possible in the game as it is now, you're the first to actually beat this unbeatable game.

If it wasn't for the thargoid content we would have had fixes for power play and new ships sooner than now and that may well have been better for the in game experience for all ??
One side or t'other I'm afraid.
I always thought the war was an easy sell and I don't think then it was particularly popular within the player groups ?
And Fdev had to resort to a "the bubble will burn " message. And a load of goalpost changes ??
Just putting other things out there for those stuck in one particular bubble of game reality or another ?? ,😉

what good does it serve to unreasonably expect that Frontier should cater to everyone at once and have a tantrum because today it wasn't your turn?
None, unless it somehow manages to cause Frontier to reevaluate and reprioritize...which I'm sure is what some are hoping against all hope for.
That's a very fair point. For a company that has to be a very difficult thing to deal with though. I would hope that Frontier would not have to have disclaimers on every press release stating "The decision to not include ship interiors in the Odyssey expansion has been made by Frontier, is final, and will not be reviewed or changed under any circumstances." But I think it's also unfortunately one of the reasons why soda bottles have instructions that tell people to "twist cap while pointed away from face". Then of course you get some influenza influencer making something like a tide pod challenge a thing for their own purposes, monetary or just narcissistic satisfaction.

And what's more, what does it suggest about those who stoke the fire and encourage that?
That they are too optimistic.
I'm less convinced of this one though. While I'll concede it is not incorrect, but more in a plausible deniability type of way, I think the room for it be used as a means by, let's say, unfriendly actors to interfere and negatively influence is far more substantial, given the correct conditions.

Wow what an update. 30 gb and all we got is more thargoid related crap. When are they gonna figure out most people playing this game couldnt care less about thargoids. What about a new ship or two? how about implementing base building? That is what will attract new players. The ability to stake a claim on a planet and construct your own base would open up the galaxy. It would give people a reason to travel away from the bubble. You could create your own economy depending on your resources. Imagine the possibilities!! But no, all we get are some patches and some nanite torpedoes. Thargoid this and thargoid that. thargoid thargoid thargoid Thanks a lot. Really made my day.
More ships are on the way how do people manage to not listen? :ROFLMAO:

_

It was indeed a nice update that added an ability to finally take the fight to the thargoids.

On top of that the GFX package was also updated and new missions added.

So yea, quite a solid update that paves the way.

_

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom