Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch 2

Servers are down, steam patch is up (915mb)

Wonder if they will hit their 10 minute downtime guestimate.

Source: https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/1128230981075374081?s=20
Yup - you can apologise for doubting them now :)

MsuLrmL.png

Great news! It might be a small dedicated team but I wish FDev always had this pace in bug fixes and patch rolling! Great job guys! Keep up the awesomeness
I think the smaller team is doing a better, certainly quicker, job of fixes and patches. I just hope they're not too much under the lash. Does Sir David own a cat 'o nine tails???

As for multiple update branches... this means that different coded clients will communicate with the one coded server. I guess such feature will make server's code more complex which in its turn will affect its maintainability and as a result it's quality.
Not necessarily. Small bug fixes might not need server side changes. But then again, its all again speculation on my part without any knowledge of their setup.

<sigh> I should try and not be triggered :) Since Agile became more a buzzword than something people actually do / understand I get grumpy at it's being maligned by those who've only seen the 'we're agile, we have post-its on the wall' version :)
No doubt. And as with many popular things, I have seen Agile implemented like .

That was quick. The executable hung while trying to exit within a minute of the downtime,but no prblms with the last-minute progress.

That's the one thing about this game. The original in 84 inspired a lot of kids (myself included) to become software developers. It's follow up 'Frontier' probably did as well. I suspect that probably means that there are a higher amount of developers ready to discuss development strategies and methodologies than other MMOs.

That said you can probably see folks checking the FSS and scanning a system with bodies closer than 100,000 ls away and thought 'Yup, that's ok and passed it.'. Nobody was expecting that there would be a problem with bodies more than 100,000 ls out. These kind of bugs happen all the time in software development and to be honest, any developer who says they create bug free code every time is lying. Although this bug got through this time, you know that a test case will be added for all future development to make sure it doesn't happen again.

That's the one thing about this game. The original in 84 inspired a lot of kids (myself included) to become software developers. It's follow up 'Frontier' probably did as well. I suspect that probably means that there are a higher amount of developers ready to discuss development strategies and methodologies than other MMOs.

That said you can probably see folks checking the FSS and scanning a system with bodies closer than 100,000 ls away and thought 'Yup, that's ok and passed it.'. Nobody was expecting that there would be a problem with bodies more than 100,000 ls out. These kind of bugs happen all the time in software development and to be honest, any developer who says they create bug free code every time is lying. Although this bug got through this time, you know that a test case will be added for all future development to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Yep, this is alright and it's understandable.
My problem was with FDev's approach.

They pushed out the April patch on 23rd and immediately on 24th they acknowledged some bugs and informed us when they will be fixing them. And they fixed them pretty quickly with a hotfix. Well done there.

Unfortunately, the hotfix contained new bugs and suddenly FDev went completely quiet.
No info, no communication, nothing...
This approach feels a little schizophrenic.

Top Bottom