Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch 2

sigh ... it was self-referring sarcasm. I did add an edit to indicate I accepted it was a patch and not an update ... try looking at my post again ^^^^

The forums are too long as it is, never look back.

This is probably why we have no rear view mirrors in our ships.

Should I add some salt to the soup and say, that a developer, who relies on tests, is not a professional developer? :whistle:

LOL, tests, a child of the modern age. Should I add some more and recap that Niklaus Wirth, the inventor of Pascal, Oberon, Modula 2 and others, sneered at debuggers and claimed a professional programmer has no use for such tools and that they lower the standards?

Which leads back to good old times. No, I've read this on Arpanet first, ring cores were before my time.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
In the industry that I was in developers or the equivalent were required to do testing as a requirement of doing business much of which would be inspected by independent professionals, but then getting things wrong could kill people and get the company sued for more money than most of us dream about.

But even then stuff gets through just look at the issues surrounding a certain Seattle based aviation company.

The company I worked for had the same weight on their shoulder.
A not proper application could lead to catastrophic results.
That kind of responsibility realy encourages to get it right when you deliver though.
The problem in the gaming industry is that there are hardly any consequences when they release a buggy game, hence their QA is very often not up to par.

If we would have delivered apps in the same state as Fdev delivers their game then we would have been out of business within a year.

ED isn't as expensive as what we produced either but should that be an excuse to take bad quality for granted though?
Fdev's quality ensurance is just bad in every way you look at it imho.

The company I worked for had the same weight on their shoulder.
A not proper application could lead to catastrophic results.
That kind of responsibility realy encourages to get it right when you deliver though.
The problem in the gaming industry is that there are hardly any consequences when they release a buggy game, hence their QA is very often not up to par.

If we would have delivered apps in the same state as Fdev delivers their game then we would have been out of business within a year.

ED isn't as expensive as what we produced either but should that be an excuse to take bad quality for granted though?
Fdev's quality ensurance is just bad in every way you look at it imho.

It's a cultural thing as well.

Game developers are traditionally 'coders'.

The developers that work on 'real world applications' are engineers.

There's a bit of inherent mistrust between the two in my experience. ;)

Please also look at the guardian sentinel issue as well. https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/1675
Game unable to exit after shooting the guardian sentinel
it will happen regardless if you shoot the guardian sentinels or not, as long as you're parked on a guardian planet (parked in close proximity to a guardian site) the game will hang if you try to exit. it doesn't seem to happen anywhere else (parked on non guardian planets or at a station).

@Will: I'm quite new to Elite:Dangerous but already lived through the first update. Why do you (Frontier Development) are not giving more information about e.g. knowing about certain issues? For me from the outside it looks like, that you don't even know about problems within the game, what apparently is not quite the fact. Is there another board/forum or anything else to look up information from your company? You even brigded the first update day with a video stream. So, why do you (FD) do not give some little more response to questions many of the players came up with in the forum? And I mean normal simple questions without any negative feelings in them. Just simple things to let your community know: 'We are here and we hear you'. If we would have such an information strategy with our customers (software developing company as well) I had to look after a new job next month.

And by the way: I love all the things that were introduced with the april update.
There is an issue tracker where you can both report issues, and see that Frontier is aware of them.

Since some of you reported still ongoing problems with the FSS "folding away" bug, eventually the following procedure might help as a workaround w/o leaving unscanned planets behind; in the time before the patch, it got me through all my occuring instances of FSS not working and kept me from flying 20+ minutes or so just to scan another 10 Icies clustered around the D-Star of the system (or the likes of it):

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bmofgb Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bmofgb/elite_dangerous_fss_bug_folding_fss_chart/

For myself: scanned ~ 35 systems since the patch is online and had no more FSS probs, keeping my fingers crossed.

Over and out,
Snims.

It's a cultural thing as well.

Game developers are traditionally 'coders'.

The developers that work on 'real world applications' are engineers.

There's a bit of inherent mistrust between the two in my experience. ;)

We use 'engineers' however the still take an agile approach and are allowed to put buggy code into production.

For me it is nothing to do with the developers it is just a risk based approach to having bugs in production - generally you hope the bugs do not cause to many problems and can be fixed quite easily.

They already said the majority of the team are working on 2020, smaller team on 2019 - do keep up ;) Though the patches are somewhat ... disappointing.
I thought i read that the majority of the team was working on another undisclosed project, and not "Elite 2020" ?

I thought i read that the majority of the team was working on another undisclosed project, and not "Elite 2020" ?

Nope, the vast majority of the Dev team are working on Elite: 2020. They've always said that. They just haven't said how many people are working on 'Ongoing Content'.

Happy to report that both the issues with the FSS scanner appear to be fixed. Ten systems scanned so far and I haven't had a single problem.

We're glad to hear it's resolved for you! We'll continue to investigate this issue, so if it occurs for you (or any other Commanders who see this message), please share your findings with us.

Their is a video posted about the bug on the general discussion area, while i have not been able to replicate the bug i do get the 'wandering' camera problem shown in the video in that thread. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fss-still-broken.511914/page-2#post-7795633

We use 'engineers' however the still take an agile approach and are allowed to put buggy code into production.

For me it is nothing to do with the developers it is just a risk based approach to having bugs in production - generally you hope the bugs do not cause to many problems and can be fixed quite easily.

I worked for 3 years on a system that handled safety systems for nuclear power plants. An error there could genuinely be catastrophic. Releases in those cases had to be ISO certified, or they just didn't happen.

I agree it's "nothing to do with the developers" - it's all about approach. I'm not for a minute suggesting that FD go the ISO route (honestly, I wouldn't wish that level of pedantry on my worse enemy, and I quite like the FD devs I've met ;)) but there are certainly agile practices they could use or improve on if they want to improve quality.

The biggest one is getting the QA to do proper smoke tests, and fail the release if anything falls over.

The downside is that it can lead to patches being delayed / postponed, but that's simply another management challenge. Players of the game will understand if they know the reasons for any delay.

Nope, they won't. Remember the outcry after Ice planet rework and Fleet Carriers were delayed.
Just because a few loud mouths complain here or make some YouTube videos doesn’t mean that players don’t understand. The thousands of players that do understand just don’t post about it. It’s the same as with any product. Buy a gadget and if you’re happy with it and it works fine, you are (or at least the average person is) unlikely to go online and rave about it. But if it breaks down you will give it a one star review and complain how it sucks. Failing to understand this means you get a very negatively biased view of the actual public sentiment of a product.

Just because a few loud mouths complain here or make some YouTube videos doesn’t mean that players don’t understand. The thousands of players that do understand just don’t post about it. It’s the same as with any product. Buy a gadget and if you’re happy with it and it works fine, you are (or at least the average person is) unlikely to go online and rave about it. But if it breaks down you will give it a one star review and complain how it sucks. Failing to understand this means you get a very negatively biased view of the actual public sentiment of a product.
You absolutely have a point. But the issue is that negative sentiments can sway public opinion, especially those who are on the fence. And public opinion of the game effects those who like the game too.

Top Bottom