Notice ARX and Frontier Points Conversion

It's not about you and me. You (and Frontier) just need to understand what the result will be: hundreds if not thousands of players leave their PCs online, 24/7 (for literally fluff) and that's almost as ignorant to global warming as you possibly can be in these days. But then it seems Frontier isn't even able (or just don't care) to track active playing. Still can't believe they went this route... and that's someone saying who probably has the highest number (8000+ hours) of playtime in ED.

The sort of people who would conceivably leave the game running just to earn ARX are not going to be the responsible environmentally conscious sort anyway, that's not FDEV's fault.

FDEV obviously can track active players as the friends list in game shows you when people were last logged in. They just don't give us and their competitors that number. Which makes the forum undead gnash their teeth.

Nothings changed the purchasable optional entirely cosmetic stuff is still purchasable, optional and entirely cosmetic. This was always the plan as an alternative to subs to cover ongoing costs.

As someone who doesn't even bother to claim the free cosmetics I think its great.

Are you sure, your calculations are correct. I get:
5k pack: 1672 arx per £
8.4k pack: 1768 with bonus, 1683 without
16.8k pack: 1772 with bonus, 1681 without
25.5k pack: 1788 with bonus, 1701 without
51k pack: 1800 with bonus, 1701 without
85k pack: 2000 with bonus, 1700 without

It's the bonus points which should motivate to buy bigger packs. Hence, I think, they are going to stay.
Also, if you stay away from the 49.99 investment with that really nice bonus, the 4.99 one is a nice step up from the 2.99
85000 / 50 = 1700

I took it that the bonus is included in the 85k, if not, you are correct

So Will earned 12 Arx on the livestream, 9 for 'Exploration' and 3 for 'Other'. Considering that Will spent a around 34 minutes in the pilot's seat (they re-log around the 9 minute mark, and log out around the 43 minute mark), we can assume that the Arx earned per hour for being somewhat active (there are periods where Will is talking to the camera rather than actually doing anything) will probably be around 20 Arx/hour, meaning 20 hours per week to reach the 400 Arx cap. Note that it will probably be possible to earn more Arx than this by actually playing the game without stopping to talk to the camera.

As for what the minimum Arx/hour would be for sitting AFK, if we assume that the 'Other' category is based entirely on time spent in game, we get a total of 5-6 Arx per hour for just being in the game. This means that the upper limit for the amount of time needed to reach the weekly 400 Arx cap would be around 70-80 hours, or about 10-12 hours every day sitting AFK. Again, it is important to note that it will be possible to improve your Arx per hour by actually playing the game.

On a side note, Will spent about 8 minutes of the livestream either sitting on the landing pad doing nothing or sitting in space not moving. With the entire time spent in the sidewinder coming to just under 34 minutes, we can assume that the amount of Arx earned on the livestream is only ~80% of what players would normally earn in the same period of time. If we take the new value (15 Arx for 34 minutes), the amount of Arx per hour increases to over 25 Arx per hour, meaning that the weekly Arx cap of 400 could be reached in 16 hours.
Will's account (it was Adam flying) undocked, flew around a bit, used SC to go 240 ls, killed five megaship targets and three drone targets, scanned two things, made one hyperjump of 7 ly flew another 338 ls and docked.

For that, CMNDR WIlliam earned 9 Arx for exploring and 3 Arx for "other".
If there is an "Exploring" category, I think it is safe to say that there is also "Combat" and "Trading" categories, neither of which Adam earned. He did do combat, but only on sitting ducks, so it might be reasonable to not throw Arx at him for that. He did spend proper time flying and scanning though.

So it seems to me that two scans, seven lightyears, and 578 lightseconds adds up to 9 Arx. We don't know how it adds up of course. It probably isn't one Arx per lightyear and one per scan, much as that might be nice. It seems likely that exploring awards Arx for jumping and that a single seven lightyear jump earns at least one Arx. Whether that is for each jump or per lightyear, that is eminently earnable. I am going to be getting lots of Arx flying 500ly in 30 jumps to a void opal hotspot. If the per jump Arx is very low, then the per scan Arx will be very high. Assuming FSS earns the same as the data link scanner, then I can earn maybe four Arx per system when exploring. Only 100 systems per week to max out Arx.

As for the "other" category, I can't see how that is earned. It could be one per dock/undock and one per half-hour, but with 168 hours in a week, that would be 336 Arx for just sitting in the game. That seems rather high. Or you could just grind dock and undock. So I doubt that is how it works. Even one per minute in SC would seem to pay out far too much going to Hutton Orbital, but it's over four trips per week to get the cap, six hours and forty minutes in SC, so that might be reasonable.

Looks like buying Arx will be cheaper than paying for the electricity to have your PC running for so long. :D

Also not a fan of the prominent presence of Arx and the reminder of how much you've earned. Feels almost a bit predatory to hook a certain type of player

It's too early to judge how good or bad arx will be until we see how prices are converted into arx on the store. My worry is we'll see a stealth increase in prices once the conversion is made but I guess we'll find out next week :unsure:
I was disappointed at how the stream avoided mentioning the new pricing structure as 400 arx per week sounded awesome until it transpired that's only 20 frontier points lol

I really can't be bothered to read all this but ARX are a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. A paintjob will probably cost almost exactly the same as it does now and as for the free ARX we earn while we play ... whether we earn the equivalent of a penny an hour or a pound a week, who cares? It's free money!

People don't want stuff for free, people are happy to pay for something with CONTENT!

Why not both?

Imagine you going to the movies, you pay your ticket and you are given a sketch pad and are placed in front of a big CGI screen. "Make your own movie"
Wouldn't you be screaming too? Of course, make sure you buy the cosmetic popcorn and drinks because you have to support the theater.

More like: Imagine you have a game you enjoy, but where you have to pay for cosmetics, and until now, you have been paying for the cosmetics you want. Now imagine the devs say, ok, you can still pay for them, but you can also get them for less or even for free the more you play.

Now doesn't that sound like a nice offer?

Last edited:
I absolutely expect to see more timed exclusives now to give people in incentive to buy some Arx now rather than just wait to get it for free.

Maybe the Cobra MkIV thread will finally get some siblings.

It must be frustrating not to know which one to complain about yet.

Posts like these really aren't any better than the ones you're making fun of.

Frontier post an ambiguous notice and when people ask for clarification they are obviously toxic trolls, right?

there is already an unofficial exchange rate online for cash for credits.

Instead pay to win . We get paid to play :)

Hello Commanders,

With the upcoming September Update we wanted to take a moment to explain some important information about the Frontier Store and ARX when they're introduced to the game.

Purchasing Cosmetics
  • ARX can be purchased, as well as earned by simply playing the game, to acquire Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more!
  • You will no longer be able to purchase Game Extras using current payment methods and instead will require ARX, available in a number of packs (below).
  • Prices for PC ARX packs (below) are as follows:
    • 5000 ARX - 2.99 GBP / 3.49 EUR / 3.99 USD
    • 8400 (+420 bonus) ARX - 4.99 GBP / 5.99 EUR / 6.99 USD
    • 16,800 (+900 bonus) ARX - 9.99 GBP / 10.99 EUR / 12.99 USD
    • 25,500 (+1,300 bonus) ARX - 14.99 GBP / 15.99 EUR / 18.99 USD
    • 51,000 (+3,000 bonus) ARX - 29.99 GBP / 32.99 EUR / 39.99 USD
    • 85,000 (+15,000 bonus) ARX - 49.99 GBP / 54.99 EUR / 59.99 USD
  • Prices for console ARX packs may vary market to market based on platform specifications.

Frontier Points
  • When logging in after the September Update is released, any outstanding Frontier Point balance will be converted into ARX with the following transfer rate (based on the best value ARX package): 1 Frontier Point = 20 ARX
  • Commanders will also receive an email about this conversion.
Frontier Store Downtime
  • In order to prepare for these changes, the PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Frontier Store will be offline from 16 September at 07:00 (UTC) and go live when the September Update has been deployed.
If you have any questions about ARX, please let us know below or consult or FAQ available here.
so you go the Eve online route ARX=PLEX

Top Bottom