Notice ARX FAQ

As it needs explaining (maybe I wrote it badly), here goes ....
First, what I said ....

So my points were .... Console players have to buy a virtual currency "Frontier Points" with real cash, and then use that virtual currency to buy painjobs and stuff. PC players don't currently have this, they simply buy paintjobs with real money.
My second point was that instead of making it easier for console players, Frontier are making it harder for PC players, and this is not the correct way to solve the parity situation they mention.
My third point was that Elite Dangerous already has an in-game currency, "credits" and if Frontier wanted players to simply buy paintjobs and stuff in-game, they could use that, and not this stupid 2nd currency they are forcing on PC players, who I am sure, not one asked for this (seriously, did any console player ask Frontier to make things more stupid, convoluted and a rip-off for PC players? I don't think so).
I can't see how it will be any more difficult for PC players. If anything it will be easier. Buy a pack of Arx play the game, see a paintjob you like and purchase it in-game with Arx (I don't like the name but that's a minor thing). Plus you get the added bonus of getting some Arx while you play.

I really cannot see the issue. Cosmetics are to be sold, its so Fdev can keep making money from the game and keep developing it. If all cosmetics were buyable with credits, Fdev are just giving all paint jobs away for free. Not a very good business model.

Personally I am happy that I will be able to buy single paint jobs instead of whole packs.

The only real question remaining is how many Arx we'll get per hour played. I think this is the most important factor, and also the hardest to balance so that we feel rewarded while Frontier still can generate income from microtransactions. If it's too grindy then players will hate it. If it's too generous then the developers won't be able to sustain the system. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Will current players get Arx backwards? Some of us have thousands of hours in Elite Dangerous already and don't you think that we should be rewarded for that FDev? OR will you get extra Arx for those who already spend much money on cosmetics as a reward for them?

Last edited:
I can't see how it will be any more difficult for PC players. If anything it will be easier. Buy a pack of Arx play the game, see a paintjob you like and purchase it in-game with Arx (I don't like the name but that's a minor thing). Plus you get the added bonus of getting some Arx while you play.

I really cannot see the issue. Cosmetics are to be sold, its so Fdev can keep making money from the game and keep developing it. If all cosmetics were buyable with credits, Fdev are just giving all paint jobs away for free. Not a very good business model.

Personally I am happy that I will be able to buy single paint jobs instead of whole packs.
I respect your opinion, but having had this in other games, I am sick of this rubbish. and comments like "I don't see the issue" are annoying as it basically says "Oh please, do rip me off."

I respect your opinion, but having had this in other games, I am sick of this rubbish. and comments like "I don't see the issue" are annoying as it basically says "Oh please, do rip me off."
How is it a rip-off. You choose to get a skin, you don't need any to play the game the same as anyone else. You could just play the game earn Arx and get the skins you want for free. Sure that really is ripping you off.

I want to respect your opinion, but it's difficult when it makes no sense. If it was pay to win, sure I would understand, but it's not.

I am saying there is no issue because there is no issue. If you decide to get a skin and you think it's a rip-off. The only person ripping you off is yourself.

The only real question remaining is how many Arx we'll get per hour played. I think this is the most important factor, and also the hardest to balance so that we feel rewarded while Frontier still can generate income from microtransactions. If it's too grindy then players will hate it. If it's too generous then the developers won't be able to sustain the system. It will be interesting to see how it works.
Surely it's got to be more complicated than that or they'll be thousands of unattended accounts just wracking up the Arxs.

the good side of this is that you can ignore all this and just play, and eventually you'll have enough for some skin you might like, for free, without feeding the beast and feeling bad about it.
Yes but as they said they will significantly improve the quality of paint jobs, who will resist buying packages ?

This all reminds me eerily of that social score system in China...

Arx! The herald news threads sing:
Glory to our new cash thing!
Dodgy paint packs recompiled,
PCs / consoles reconciled.
Buy the new skins as we drop 'em,
No more docking just to swap 'em,
Buy them all without a care;
Apply from the menu anywhere!
Arx! The herald news threads sing:
Think of the profits this will bring.

(mostly kidding; I'm actually quite bullish about these changes,
unless the effective cost per skin goes up from its current price,
in which case I'll angrily repost this in a series of larger fonts.)

The really good threads will be those complaining that the gametime/arxe ratio is crap.

I imagine a few by now imagine they'll be able to buy the entire stores contents just by gameplay alone.
Personally so long as it is feasible to buy some stuff with gameplay alone I will be happy. If a skin is 100 arxes a bobblehead is 200 arxes a flight suit 300arxes and a ship kit it 500 arxes and you earn 10arxes and HR with a max of say 30 a week
Then personally I would be fine with it.

IF the costs were the same but you only earned 1 an HR and a max of 3 a week... I would be dissapointed but even then it would realistically be no worse than we have now. Once it is implemented I am sure FD will twiddle their nobs to tweak the numbers as we go forward

My third point was that Elite Dangerous already has an in-game currency, "credits" and if Frontier wanted players to simply buy paintjobs and stuff in-game, they could use that,
Conceptually I agree with you and it would work if FD had kept a handle on the economy and instead of massively increasing earnings and allowing exploits to run wild had tweaked the costs of equipments and ships a bit to balance earnings
IF FD did what you suggest how would the price it? Either billionaire exploiters would be able to buy the whole store in a day OR a skin would have to cost 10s of millions of credits this punishing those of us who played in a strict way. Sadly that ship has sailed (and sank,)

1 thing I will say and then will stop spamming. I am surprised they are not being tied to the mission system at least in part. I really hope they manage to make it unexploitable. FD have a poor track record here after looking at their reputation decay after being naughty.

Personally i WOULD alter mission rewards to include arx points, as well as tied into handing data into UC, bounty vouchers into security etc as well as into those random "fuel rat" type missions where after doing it an NPC could message you and say thank you for your help I shall report your deeds to authorities.

Someone mentioned the Chinese social reputation system. Actually tieing arx into something like that could be great and not just for legal stuff either
(Piracy factions award arx for piratey deeds,) etc etc etc

Top Bottom