Automation and Scripting - An investigation into further abuses of BGS and Powerplay

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've been playing this game since Xbox GPP, I'm not a new comer. This is just one of the many and varied idiotic oversights in the design of the game. And considering the "cannon" is flapping in the breeze anyways with no solid anchor or even REAL time line not provided by a wiki your argument is silly they retcon and disregard so much of what goes on why would it matter if the Private/solo side isn't cannon? Those who hide in those modes don't WANT to be a part of the over all world, they shouldn't be allowed to manipulate it.

Shouldn't be so obsessed with what random people do in the video game OP just an FYI that is like stalker stuff in ur post.

How long have you been keeping logs on what your neighbors on your street do?

Except that it isn't even remotely comparable to a real world criminal activity, the OP exposed cheating well done him.

You should shut up, and spell things properly.

I've been playing this game since Xbox GPP, I'm not a new comer. This is just one of the many and varied idiotic oversights in the design of the game. And considering the "cannon" is flapping in the breeze anyways with no solid anchor or even REAL time line not provided by a wiki your argument is silly they retcon and disregard so much of what goes on why would it matter if the Private/solo side isn't cannon? Those who hide in those modes don't WANT to be a part of the over all world, they shouldn't be allowed to manipulate it.

I don't like 3rd person games, I check before I buy.

Really OP?

People will lose time creating a BOT to manipulate a system like BGS? Or even powerplay?
I don't see the reason to spend time joing this causes, imagine working in a BOT and letting your computer ONLINE and wasting energy to make this (Makes no sense, really)

BGS means nothing, just minor faction names in systems, powerplay means even less... If people really earn something to make this but i don't see the point, sorry;

I can guess the bot was initially created for more material purposes - making money in game without effort - and someone thought it could do other things.

Except that it isn't even remotely comparable to a real world criminal activity, the OP exposed cheating well done him.

You should shut up, and spell things properly.

Man, if someone is smart that can make a Bot, for what a sake reason this person will put the bot on OPEN if he can play in SOLO and manipulate the BGS/POWERPLAY at the same way/rate?

I really don't know, all this is too stupid to be true (The time spend to make the bot, Wasting energy/effort on BGS/Powerplay and specially: Bot flying in OPEN);

For me, PP and BGS must to me OPEN exclusive so people can take down "BOT's" like this easy - Or even counter-atack non-bots BGS attempts.

Man, if someone is smart that can make a Bot, for what a sake reason this person will put the bot on OPEN if he can play in SOLO and manipulate the BGS/POWERPLAY at the same way/rate?

I really don't know, all this is too stupid to be true (The time spend to make the bot, Wasting energy/effort on BGS/Powerplay and specially: Bot flying in OPEN);

For me, PP and BGS must to me OPEN exclusive so people can take down "BOT's" like this easy - Or even counter-atack non-bots BGS attempts.

The mode argument was lost over four years ago, stop wasting everyone's time with it.

The OP's already explained the bots operating in open, he suspects they are mode switching for missions as they pop up and disappear in the station. Given he also mentioned the ship names are deliberately trollish, they could be deliberately running them in open just to irritate people.

I can answer that as a programmer. Firstly I'd have a go at making a bot just to see if I could do it. I already use Voice Attack and EDDI to automate many of the in-cockpit tasks and I've even used another scripting tool to try things out like automatically turning the ship to align with the targeted system or station. I do it just to see if I can. Am I clever enough to automate these things? As it happens, yes I am and I'm not even talking about the "illegal" things like memory scraping. Would I use them in the game? No. I don't see the point. It's good enough for me to know that I have been able to do these things. Would I show someone else how to do it? No, work it out yourself.

But, and this is the second point, some programmers just cannot deal with no-one else knowing that they can do this. They have to show everyone else how clever they are. Their ego is their undoing. The bot-masters in this case deliberately put their bots in open for two reasons. Firstly to show off, to demonstrate use how clever they are and secondly to see how long it took for someone, a lesser person than them in their view, to notice. Pure hubris, I'm afraid.

To be honest, they are not even that clever. Just script kiddies really. Any decent programmer would have mede the bots virtually undetectable.

Last edited:
To be honest, they are not even that clever. Just script kiddies really. Any decent programmer would have mede the bots virtually undetectable.

Yes the "gear down" thing is obviously a simple trick to keep speed under 100m/s without having to monitor it. Lazy :)

Yes the "gear down" thing is obviously a simple trick to keep speed under 100m/s without having to monitor it. Lazy :)

And avoids getting fined when ramming for the most part

Which reduces the CMDR having a bounty and being looked for and/or shot at by the station whilst auto docking.

Some people take video games a little too seriously.

Edit : to clarify I mean the people running bots. Not the OP, the video is very convincing.

Indeed. That was my first thought on reading this to be honest; I could understand it if we were talking valuable cash prizes or something but just how utterly tragic and devoid of purpose does someone's life have to be before this is deemed to be a worthwhile way for them to spend their time?

Shouldn't be so obsessed with what random people do in the video game OP just an FYI that is like stalker stuff in ur post.

How long have you been keeping logs on what your neighbors on your street do?

You're either a botter or someone who doesn't have a scooby about online gaming. No third option with this one.

No gamer in their right mind supports or condones botting. Conflating someone's effort to identify blatant abuse of the ToS with stalking is laughably misguided.

That's without even getting into the fact that the tracking of influence and other changes (which is how this was identified) is nothing more than the basics needed to assist with manipulating the BGS. That's actually just gameplay.

Last edited:

That and the super robotic motion. Add in a twirl and boost at once out of the zone, put FA off then rotate towards the target then put it back on, boost again. Throw in a few more varied routines and who's gonna know?

Speaking personally (no AOS consensus exists yet on the true fix for this), i'd love to see that. Things that require more complex and more effort driven gameplay are the answer.

Seeing how much of x you can do in y time is lets this kind of thing fester.

Seeing how well you can do x over y time is better.

Quality over quantity.

But the quality measurement needs to be massive. It doesn't really helps when you can do it 2x as good as a bot, but the bot runs 24/7 while you only can do it for 4hrs a day.
Tasks need to be complex enough to make the bot derp and fail.

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
The bots are not grinding to get money (etc) to then let a human take over the account.

The bots are literally just destroying (ganking if you will) powerplay and/or bgs

The difference being what exactly? I didnt say they were trying to avoid grinding credits...I said they were avoiding grind. Not all grind is fer credits, credits are but one aspect of grind, not its entirety.

If ye mean real life money then again...what difference would that make? And then theres a simple question I could ask in return, the answer fer which could be rather telling in the current climate. If frontier started selling credits on the store, considering how many flock to gold rushes and seek exploits, how tempting would it be to buy say a hundred mil fer a fiver?

Now before ye answer, have a good think about it...overall right through the entire playerbase, just how tempting would that be?

As regards the powerplay aspect, this is easy. Yer asking why a bunch of role players who take the game very seriously indeed why they are botting to influence the bgs and the answer might be time saved. We aint talking about a few hours here, they are powerplayers so they thinking months in advance and what with those inconveniencies of real life like job, kids, missus, bit on the side whatever.

So add serious role players with powerplay...what do powerplayers do in this game? What does anyone with power want? More power. How do they get it? Does it matter? Ye think being at the top of the pile was done on fair play alone? Cos ye know, real life aint like that either let alone a game and our identities here are but reflections of who we wanna be as opposed to who we are. Thats why games like GTA5 did so well, another casualty of botters and cheats despite the efforts of one the biggest games publishers in the business.

Like I said, the reasons why its happening really aint that complicated when ye sit and think about it and ask yerself what are simple basic questions.

The mode argument was lost over four years ago, stop wasting everyone's time with it.

The OP's already explained the bots operating in open, he suspects they are mode switching for missions as they pop up and disappear in the station. Given he also mentioned the ship names are deliberately trollish, they could be deliberately running them in open just to irritate people.

This is sad, if you people already give up this discussion.

How you think another companies handle to detect/ban bots? WOW and Lineage for exemple widouth player reports they will never be able to discover all the bots.
While people can still play alone, they will ever get a way to use bots widouth get detected.

If bots exists, widouth player reports will be nearly impossible to FDEV detect it.

This is sad, if you people already give up this discussion.

How you think another companies handle to detect/ban bots? WOW and Lineage for exemple widouth player reports they will never be able to discover all the bots.
While people can still play alone, they will ever get a way to use bots widouth get detected.

If bots exists, widouth player reports will be nearly impossible to FDEV detect it.

Oh trust me we are far from giving up on that discussion lol.

Simple question..

What do you want FDev to do about it ?

Right now, I don't.

This post is meant to generate awareness that this is a real thing and give people the tools to detect and counter it.

Should it prove to be a widespread issue like we suspect, the collective upset from players will do the rest.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom