Be honest everyone. Who will most likely purchase the Python MkII..?

The new python has 4 big guns.
Isn't it time to add guns to other ships?
For example, add two medium guns to the mamba instead of two small ones?
4 big guns and a comically small distributor for them, that balances out. The other ships will be unaffected. FDEV have never changed any hardpoints on any ship and only very rarely (I think 3 times) adjusted ship internals.

4 big guns and a comically small distributor for them, that balances out. The other ships will be unaffected. FDEV have never changed any hardpoints on any ship and only very rarely (I think 3 times) adjusted ship internals.
Now my Crait mk 2 has two modified fragmentation weapons 2C and 3C AI machine guns. A large distributor is not needed in such a setup.
Adding even one machine gun will save many minutes of destroying hearts. In fights with Hydra, this can be a decisive advantage.

Mamba has a poorly chosen weapon balance, and the speed advantage is not that great. Mamba needs to be corrected.

I didn’t touch on this issue before, but now there is Python MK2...

Just intrigued to know how many cmdrs are planning to buy this early access ship from the Arx store on the 7th May?

I myself may well, just for the sake of something being new. However, will probably hold out a little while to learn the usefulness of this new ship.
...Would be honestly disappointing if the interior is identical to the old version. Hoping this will see a face lift. And would make the purchase all the more worth while.

Flimley
yea I think so... why not? I could engineer a couple of these before its released to the wider public :)

DBX pre-build is a mediocre exploration build with around 42 LY range and 2 SRV's. No engineering, but included is Guardian FGS Booster.
For a new player just starting out that doesn't sound so terrible. Sure, it won't compete with endgame Phantoms and Anacondas, but that's more than you need to get out to the guardian ruins, or to get some decent exobiology under your belt. I've known seasoned combat players who seriously balked at trying to get to the guardians with 20-25ly ships, whereas I did it in my Hauler fresh out the gate with no engineering. Horses for courses I guess.

I understand why you say that but this has nothing to do with ego or "self righteousness" no matter how much it might sound like it. I choose not to buy into this as I believe it is the best course of action for both myself and the group. Not just myself.

Ultimately people will think what they want to think and will interpret what they want to interpret. I have had my say that's all I can do and I can also state that my intent is not to offend anyone. However, I can not make the point I wanted to make clearly without calling the spade a spade.
If everyone closes their wallets the game will soon cease to exist and the servers will be turned off. In case you hadn't noticed, FDEV aren't doing to well financially and by buying ARX we're helping to keep the game supported for longer, so we can all keep enjoying it.

Now my Crait mk 2 has two modified fragmentation weapons 2C and 3C AI machine guns. A large distributor is not needed in such a setup.
Adding even one machine gun will save many minutes of destroying hearts. In fights with Hydra, this can be a decisive advantage.

Mamba has a poorly chosen weapon balance, and the speed advantage is not that great. Mamba needs to be corrected.

I didn’t touch on this issue before, but now there is Python MK2...
I actually had an easier time setting up my Mamba than my FdL. The two smalls are great for utility weapons like cascade rails, corrosive/drag kinetics or even for Cytoscramblers.

If everyone closes their wallets the game will soon cease to exist and the servers will be turned off. In case you hadn't noticed, FDEV aren't doing to well financially and by buying ARX we're helping to keep the game supported for longer, so we can all keep enjoying it.
As has been stated elsewhere, FDEV would have many more possible avenues for more cosmetics, selling ships isn't actually necessary. And if their poor choices lead to players closing their wallets and in turn the game shutting down, then so be it.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
For a new player just starting out that doesn't sound so terrible. Sure, it won't compete with endgame Phantoms and Anacondas, but that's more than you need to get out to the guardian ruins, or to get some decent exobiology under your belt. I've known seasoned combat players who seriously balked at trying to get to the guardians with 20-25ly ships, whereas I did it in my Hauler fresh out the gate with no engineering. Horses for courses I guess.
100%

These pre-builds are not meant for seasoned players for sure. For a new player that wants to try what exploration is all about it's a cool little build to get into it ad then expand on it if interested.

DBX pre-build is a mediocre exploration build with around 42 LY range and 2 SRV's. No engineering, but included is Guardian FGS Booster.
I didn't see the optional internals on that before, but it seemed like it's only mediocre because it has no engineering - the actual core internals seemed sensible and if you engineered them you'd have a good 0/low rebuy bubble hopper and/or exploration ship depending on what you put in the optionals.

Hi :)

Just intrigued to know how many cmdrs are planning to buy this early access ship from the Arx store on the 7th May?

I myself may well, just for the sake of something being new. However, will probably hold out a little while to learn the usefulness of this new ship.
...Would be honestly disappointing if the interior is identical to the old version. Hoping this will see a face lift. And would make the purchase all the more worth while.

Flimley

After looking at some of the 'partner' live streams last night...🤔...I'm now not sure.
The ship design looks pictorially nice, and I'll probably add it to my collection of ships at some point, I'm out exploring at the moment so I'm not going to rush back to the bubble to buy it.
In the meantime I'll read some of the experiences of players who do buy early access on this one. :)

Jack :)

This kind of monetization works because it preys on the weaknesses of human beings. Those that have declared that they will buy into this have no doubt spun a story for themselves to justify why this is all OK. Many also choose to mock others who stand against it. That's why it works. It appeals to selfishness.
If the whole thing was better presented (or plain better) people wouldn't need to spin a story about supporting the game or frontier. Good presentation takes more effort and that clearly didn't go into it. To compare you'd have to look at games with the most terrible monetization and judge them on presentation rather than morals or value of the content that's being sold and that's hard to do if you're put off by the greed and manipulation in the first place.

Yeah @Rat Catcher I agree , but you also know me by now 😉.
Yeah, I do a bit...
Sad that we will never have our paths cross in game, I'm still uncertain if I would try to KOS or invite you to join our band of social undesirables, maybe even both!
I choose not to buy into this as I believe it is the best course of action for both myself and the group.
Utilitarianism was an interesting concept as a philosophy, but failed for a multitude of good reasons.

I have no doubt that your stance is the best course of action for yourself, solely as it is your own.
But... "for the group"?

Every player of every game is an individual, and it would be very demeaning to intimate that those individuals were unable to decide for themselves in any action they take - although your spirit of camraderie that your actions are protecting that group from themselves is commendable, probably.

In a (technically) MMO, there are thousands of players playing for themselves, even when part of an organised group, it is that mass of players who will decide, individually, what they consider to be the best course of action, they don't actually need protecting, do they?

If everyone closes their wallets the game will soon cease to exist and the servers will be turned off.
There are some here who have already expressed the opinion that the game should be shut down instead of FD abusing their players by suggesting they have the option to buy assets for cash.. (I may have paraphrased that slightly, but it is accurate overall)

FD are preying on the weak-minded masses, apparently, who do not have the mental capacity to assess if something is of any value to them, is another call.

If nothing else, the move has certainly received a very emotional response from a few.

There are some here who have already expressed the opinion that the game should be shut down instead of FD abusing their players by suggesting they have the option to buy assets for cash.. (I may have paraphrased that slightly, but it is accurate overall)

FD are preying on the weak-minded masses, apparently, who do not have the mental capacity to assess if something is of any value to them, is another call.

If nothing else, the move has certainly received a very emotional response from a few.
For the record: I don't actually want the game to shut down, but rather see FDEV choose a non-P2W path to more revenue from it. But if they are unable or unwilling to do so, then yes, there is the ultimate consequence.

For the record: I don't actually want the game to shut down, but rather see FDEV choose a non-P2W path to more revenue from it. But if they are unable or unwilling to do so, then yes, there is the ultimate consequence.
if the delusion of pay2win is too much for you to handle you are free to go play something else...

For the record: I don't actually want the game to shut down
I know...
but rather see FDEV choose a non-P2W path to more revenue from it.
I wonder if they have already examined all of the alternatives and reached the conclusion that their current path is most likely to get the cash injection they may need to make it through this financial year? (from reading @Ian Doncaster 's assessment of their current financials, a year seems to be it)
But if they are unable or unwilling to do so, then yes, there is the ultimate consequence.
The great thing is that each player will decide if they wish to donate to have access to any or all of the assets being marketed. Those who find the idea revolting are completely free to do as they wish.

Me? I'd rather see the store contain everything avaialbe in the game, yes, even G5 engineered modules, optionally purchased with Arx - but then, it is purely selfish on my part, I quite enjoy messing around with my player group and would like it to continue a little longer.

May 7th can't come fast enough. Hell yes I'll be throwing Arx at it. IMO this is not Pay 2 Win, besides the fact that there is no win in this game, getting early access to a ship that will be available in a couple of months is not Pay 2 Win and anyone who has seen the specs for the Pre-Build ships knows they are not Pay 2 Win either. I have gotten almost 6000 hours of escapism and enjoyment out of this game for the price of a single purchase. During some very dark times in my life it has been a place I can go to escape it all. An unbelievable bargain by any standard.
Frontier is in a bad place financially and without a new revenue stream the shareholders may demand even harsher cuts then the company have already been forced to implement. The shareholders don't care about ED, it's historical significance or its fans. They care only about dividends. If they thought for a moment that killing this game will improve their profits they wouldn't blink.
That's the reality. Anything I can do, no matter how small to help improve the chances of this games survival and future development is a small price to pay towards it's continued existence.

Top Bottom