Be honest everyone. Who will most likely purchase the Python MkII..?

The store prices hiked up today isn't going to do them any favours...
Very prophetic comments about predatory monetisation, actually, who'd have expected it to be so rapidly implemented? Up to 300% increases it would seem.
Now cheaper to buy an EA P2 barebones than a suit skin...

Looks like I may have to apologise to you.
And now I'm more concerned than ever that the P2 will be the only ship that can have an A class SCO, albeit temporarily since the EA videos show they exist.

I've got to be honest, I'm now questioning whether I want to buy the Python early access after seeing the hike on the store today. The principle of selling ships, outright or early access, I don't mind, but the 100%+ increases in costs on cosmetics is hard to look past.
I guess it depends if the price for the P2 early access triples between today and Tuesday.
I can live with any new ships I don't have PJs for in the game, flying in their defaults - at least I already have all of the Imperial and Passenger ships, so don't have to face white...

I guess it depends if the price for the P2 early access triples between today and Tuesday.
I can live with any new ships I don't have PJs for in the game, flying in their defaults - at least I already have all of the Imperial and Passenger ships, so don't have to face white...

Didn't they just announce the Arx prices for the EA-P2 yesterday? Changing up the price for that within mere days would be a bonehead move.

My God, why did you have to reinvent the wheel? Just sell the new atmospheric planet landing DLC or story campaign DLC.

But in games with such a small and mega-loyal fan base, there is always a huge temptation to squeeze out all the money without doing any work.

PS. Based on watching the stream about P2.

I will not be pre-purchsing it despite having more than enough ARX to do so, even the pre-built version. Apparently the only thing I can do is vote with my "wallet" to declare what I think about this new monetization scheme which is in direct opposition to prior absolute statements made by FDev in relation to this kind of monetization.

I have no problem supporting them financially—and would very much like to—but I will not support using money to circumvent gameplay that others who don't pay must engage with to achieve the same end. This just feels like an attempt to turn a beloved game with a dedicated fan base into a resource to be farmed for money. That is not what I kickstarted this game for.

When I first heard about this I said as much as a knee-jerk reaction. This time around I have had plenty of time to digest what has been proposed (I say that like there is even a chance that this won't go ahead) and ultimately came full circle back to my original conclusion.

I find it sad that right now you have one fan base (Escape from Tarkov) screaming blue murder over similar, manipulative, behaviour and yet this community seems to be screaming "Abuse me FDev, step on me please!".

I see the argument "Don't tell me what I can do with my money" a lot. It is yelled apparently with the assumption that their actions occur in a vacuum with no affect on others at all. That is simply not true. If you buy into this then FDev will do it more and game design decisions will be influenced by it. History has clearly shown this. That affects MY game not just yours.

Don't get me wrong I am well aware that I am talking to a wall. This kind of monetization works because it preys on the weaknesses of human beings. Those that have declared that they will buy into this have no doubt spun a story for themselves to justify why this is all OK. Many also choose to mock others who stand against it. That's why it works. It appeals to selfishness. The anonymity of the internet and the isolation of the customer base weakens peer influence and makes for easy marks.

There is a reason this kind of monetization is labelled as "predatory". Because that is exactly what it is. It is no longer about making a good product that sells on its own merits. It's now about psychological manipulation and trickery.
My Pledge drive was locked for "petition" :(

That's true. As long as the price for the Python doesn't change I might still bite. The amount of cosmetics I'll buy will drop though for sure.

I just wish Fdev would sign a licencing deal with the owners of KSP

I'd pay good money for a kerbal bobblehead.... in fact a good deal of money

Bill(no relation)

More and more streamers are saying now that the Python Mk2 will come with an A class SCO, but that other ships will have access to C class only and we have to wait "until later".

That's not good, coupled with the store price increases ... too far for me.
I will wait now. Simply do not require the P2 with my play style. Another case of, ignore and carry on regardless. ... as usual.

A master class in releasing new content in the worst way imaginable.

Flimley

I'll get the bare bones one, mostly because it unlocks the P2thon in the shipyard so I can get as many as I need/want. My entire gameplay loop is testing builds on combat ships, and I've been meddling with P1thon ships in the past few months anyway. So, serendipity.

I don't like the paint on the premium one.

So to answer the original topic question -
Well, past couple of days have been a bit of a rollercoaster. Going back and forth about if to purchase the P2 or not, I was going to wait till just after the 7th, let some others get a few builds out there etc, then probably buy the non pre-built.

Now? Currently, I'm going with the store price hikes have left a sour taste in my mouth, but the P2 coming with A class SCO which won't be available to all ships at the same time, effectively Pay To Advantage ... NO. Yesterday I was so excited, even when at first glance the ship specs didn't look a good fit for me. Just 2 hours ago, I'd come around to wanting to purchase, but now, just on principle, NO.

Sorry FDEV, I'll wait till August 7th and use ingame credits.

Top Bottom