Names on PS4 are tied to our Playstation IDs, so we don't have any choice in what our CMDRs are called (thus some of the silly Gamer12345 CMDRs out there). Rumor is Sony going to allow us to change our PSIDs soon, and if "soon" is actually soon, then I might wait to reset my CMDR to take advantage of a new PSID.

I already have an alt account, which I've been playing more than my main account recently. There's a couple of reasons I'm thinking of a wipe:

1) Newer players on PS4 claim to not have the bugs that I experience, and I know that sometimes account data can actually result in buggy behavior (happened to a friend), so I'm interested in trying a complete "reboot" of my CMDR to see if it fixes any of these bugs.

2) I kinda want to "start from scratch" and play a more simple game this time around - I'd be happy chauffeuring passengers in a Dolphin for the rest of my days, LOL.

3) My cosmetics are tied to my main account, and cannot be shared with alt accounts.

A few things are holding me back, basically anything grind-related - unlocking Engineers, Sol, Guardian Tech, etc.

Ah, a fresh start to avoid "stored bugs", makes sense. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game too? I assume that bookmarks would be gone in that case.

I've just started on PC. Really enjoying starting from scratch. Shame about the store purchases, ah well. I wonder if I can wangle a Galnet Conda paintjob...

The bookmarks, really missed those! Gonna log into PS4 and make a list of them.

I've just started on PC. Really enjoying starting from scratch. Shame about the store purchases, ah well. I wonder if I can wangle a Galnet Conda paintjob...

The bookmarks, really missed those! Gonna log into PS4 and make a list of them.

If you haven't before give the DBS a try this time around, like a superviper with better hardpoint positioning.

As he said it gets boring after a while. Starting the game again gives you the adrenaline to play again because your actually progressing.
An option like these prestige rank resets of other games would be nice. keep your settings and discovery data, but start from the bottom again. Maybe the ships remain stored until you can buy them again.

Ah, a fresh start to avoid "stored bugs", makes sense. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game too? I assume that bookmarks would be gone in that case.

I already tried the reinstall awhile back. In fact, I even installed ED on a different PS4, but the bugs were the same. Now I suspect some of the bugs are "my eyes are better than your eyes" bugs (elephant butt leather, dancing disco shadows, etc), but who knows? My alt CMDR also suffers these things, but both accounts were created immediately after ED was first released on PS4. There may be "legacy" data in those accounts causing some of these bugs in recent updates.

The one thing I didn't try is wiping my local save data. PS4 backs this up so you can restore the data after a reinstall or transfer to a new machine. I do not relish the idea of manually setting all my bindings from scratch...

I already tried the reinstall awhile back. In fact, I even installed ED on a different PS4, but the bugs were the same. Now I suspect some of the bugs are "my eyes are better than your eyes" bugs (elephant butt leather, dancing disco shadows, etc), but who knows? My alt CMDR also suffers these things, but both accounts were created immediately after ED was first released on PS4. There may be "legacy" data in those accounts causing some of these bugs in recent updates.

The one thing I didn't try is wiping my local save data. PS4 backs this up so you can restore the data after a reinstall or transfer to a new machine. I do not relish the idea of manually setting all my bindings from scratch...

Out of curiosity, did you also try your PS4 on a different display device?

Riôt

The simple answer is you keep nothing except experience and what you have bought in the store.

That is more than most MMO's allow you to keep.

Everything else starts from scratch.

As I see it, the disadvantage of using an Alt account is that you no longer have access to the LEP (assuming you had one in the first place) for that Alt, so you might have to pay quite a bit to upgrade to play (for example) Legs.

Also, the investment of ship paint jobs, etc. is not available.

I wish FD would just give us a second commander under the main account, even if we paid a fee instead of the alt account.

As I see it, the disadvantage of using an Alt account is that you no longer have access to the LEP (assuming you had one in the first place) for that Alt, so you might have to pay quite a bit to upgrade to play (for example) Legs.

Also, the investment of ship paint jobs, etc. is not available.

I wish FD would just give us a second commander under the main account, even if we paid a fee instead of the alt account.

They *want* mulitplayer. We are now experiencing what happens when you *get* serious multiplayer. :)

An option like these prestige rank resets of other games would be nice. keep your settings and discovery data, but start from the bottom again. Maybe the ships remain stored until you can buy them again.

Back when I joined just after engineers had launched for the Horizons crowd there where a lot of commanders getting support to reset their combat rank, this was because NPCs had given up on the defencive tactic of stoping in space and spinning and where actually fighting back, some of them where developing new weapons as well, so commanders who had harvested their way to Deadly or Elite where getting torn to pieces. Reseting alowed them to meet NPCs weak enough that they could learn to fight.

So rank resetting was possible then, not sure whether they would do that now that we have all learned better than to take shortcuts.

I tried clearing my local save data, which includes key bindings and various game settings, but that didn't fix any of the graphics issues on PS4 Slim (and to answer your questions, yes I've tried various displays, HDMI cables, even another PS4, no joy). I'm not overly confident that clearing my CMDR save on Frontier's servers is going to fix anything, however I am still tempted from a pure gameplay perspective. For example, I think it would be fun to restart my main account as a pacifist, never firing a shot. I always have my alt account for when I'm in the mood to kick some can.

I do have a couple more questions. First, if I decide to go out in a blaze of glory (or more accurately, infamy) by spending my last days before the reset as a pirate and a menace, how will Elite treat my bounties? I'm assuming my "name" will remain on the most wanted list, but that name won't be tied to my new CMDR, so I'll be both innocent and infamous, yes? Since my old CMDR doesn't "die", yet he won't also ever be in game again, does that bounty just last forever, or is there an expiration period?

My other question is a simple one that I forgot the answer to - the 5000 LY unlock for Felicity, is that accumulative, or do I need to go in a straight line away from the Bubble 5000 LY with an unengineered FSD? If I do indeed play the pacifist with this reboot, she would likely be the only Engineer I care about.

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but the only names reserved are the Jameson names from the Kickstarter. Even though I had "Alien" reserved at the kickstarter, if I don't hang on to it, ie I clear my save, rename my character to something else, then someone else can grab "Alien" and I would not get it back until they stop using it. ............

This is not true. Once a commander name has been used by an account it is locked to that account and cannot be used by another one.

I found this when I wanted to swap the names on two of my accounts (one had mercenary) - I couldn't do that and I couldn't clear-save on them and then start new commander with the other name. I took this up with support and they confirmed that once a commander name has been used by an account it is locked to that account.

(Hence Para Handy has two spaces in the commander name and MacPhail is now McPhail. ;) )

My other question is a simple one that I forgot the answer to - the 5000 LY unlock for Felicity, is that accumulative, or do I need to go in a straight line away from the Bubble 5000 LY with an unengineered FSD? If I do indeed play the pacifist with this reboot, she would likely be the only Engineer I care about.

The 5000 is for palin - Flic is just "Scout" and Elvira is 300 Ly - those are furthest from, not distance travelled.

I used to clear save every destruction but the engineer grind has to be gone through every time so I am probably not going to do it again. (bet I do though :rolleyes:)

So you keep all your bought stuff (including bonus repaints etc), your bindings and your other options - you lose everything else including decals EXCEPT those you got from CGs - I think your notoriety gets reset and any bounties on your head erased but I am a goody-two-shoes so don't know that for sure.

The simple answer is you keep nothing except experience and what you have bought in the store.

Not quite - CG decals, awarded repaints and decals (e.g. Pax, Special Effect, etc) all are retained as they are account-tied.

Last edited:
I tried clearing my local save data, which includes key bindings and various game settings, but that didn't fix any of the graphics issues on PS4 Slim (and to answer your questions, yes I've tried various displays, HDMI cables, even another PS4, no joy). I'm not overly confident that clearing my CMDR save on Frontier's servers is going to fix anything, however I am still tempted from a pure gameplay perspective. For example, I think it would be fun to restart my main account as a pacifist, never firing a shot. I always have my alt account for when I'm in the mood to kick some can.

I do have a couple more questions. First, if I decide to go out in a blaze of glory (or more accurately, infamy) by spending my last days before the reset as a pirate and a menace, how will Elite treat my bounties? I'm assuming my "name" will remain on the most wanted list, but that name won't be tied to my new CMDR, so I'll be both innocent and infamous, yes? Since my old CMDR doesn't "die", yet he won't also ever be in game again, does that bounty just last forever, or is there an expiration period?

I think you mean Palin, and it's 5000Lys straight out from your start point.
Funnily enough, I'm going for this today.[up]

Edit: Flis needs Scout rank and 1 unit of Meta Alloys.
Also Martuuk does FSDs, 300Lys + 3 Soontill Relics.

Last edited:
Edit: Flis needs Scout rank and 1 unit of Meta Alloys.

So the 5000 LY has nothing to do with Felicity? Very good! With the current exploration payouts, I'll hit Scout by just looking out the window, LOL.

I'm very tempted.... The only thing I'll miss is Sol, but since they painted the system yellow, it's kinda ruined anyway.

Last edited:
I restarted a few times (5) in the beginning right after the launch of ED on PS4. Lost everything every time except for any and all Store bought items. However, when I switched from a PS4 to my Xbox One X. I lost everything including items I had purchased from the store; However, I asked for and received a transfer of all my NET ASSETS which FDev was kind enough to transfer to the new account.

I restarted a few times (5) in the beginning right after the launch of ED on PS4. Lost everything every time except for any and all Store bought items. However, when I switched from a PS4 to my Xbox One X. I lost everything including items I had purchased from the store; However, I asked for and received a transfer of all my NET ASSETS which FDev was kind enough to transfer to the new account.

Yarp, the store bought stuff is a shame. Especially the black paint jobs. And the Galnet Conda.:(

If you get bored and don't fancy playing anymore you've nothing to lose. The early game is a lot of fun. Second or third time around you'll be amazed at how quickly you acquire stuff having already git-gud.

Alternatively, it's a way of seeing that you haven't gitten gud. I've been playing my new account for a week now, and I'm still mostly harmless. It's a bit different from my super shielded death Corvette

...and a lot of fun

I'm actually looking forward to losing all my assets if I restart. I'm so rich now that life has lost all meaning and purpose. It's the struggle to overcome that makes us feel alive! I've restarted Skyrim countless times for the same reason.

As for cosmetics, I have bought lots of paint jobs for ships I once loved but have since divorced - the DBX, Cobra, even my beloved Keelback. If I do a reset, I'm tempted to play as a one-ship CMDR, that ship likely being the Dolphin, which looks just fine in default white.

For reference, to get your FSD range upgraded to Level 4 or 5:

Elvira Martuuk is at Khun and requires 3 Soontill Relics and at least 300 lyrs travel distance from your career start. Rep with her can be increased with "craft modules" and selling exploration data at her Long Sight Base.

Felicity Farseer is at Deciat and requires Exploration Rank= Scout and 1 unit of Meta Alloys. Rep is increased as for Martuuk, i.e. sell exploration data.

In order to get through the various levels of FSD to reach an upgrade to Level 5, you will need to have found (or traded for) the following materials:

Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes
Chemical Processors
Phosphorus
Strange Wake Solutions
Manganese
Chemical Distillery
Eccentric Hyperspace Trajectories
Arsenic
Chemical Manipulators
Datamined Wake Exceptions

The Mass Manager experimental effect (recommended for extra distance boost) also requires
Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes
Galvanising Alloys
Eccentric Hyperspace Trajectories

Some say that the Deep Charge effect is better for smaller ships, which would require the same materials.

Good luck Old Duck and o7 !

And don't forget to mark a spot for Dav's Hope, for many of your required materials. It will be a trek, but worth a visit (or two).

Last edited:
Top Bottom