Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Seriously though you can't really say you've explored it if you haven't probed a new planet.

And in that sense, enhanced it, is exactly what the FSS has done. So has the DSS mechanic.
FSS > one honk and DSS > just fly up to it and wait 15 secs.

Mapping some of those big giants, especially the ringed ones is a real achievement imo. (Point and wait, bwahaha)

Probably going a bit far to make that the only way to get to the next star system but as one way to get there .. # I want that I want that I want that

The new DSS has indeed extended exploration and is an improvement.
The FSS is indeed a better body scanner than the old DSS.

The issue is that the FSS is a terrible system scanner, if you can call it one at all.

So you think tunning the radio is a kind of effort?

Depends on what signal I'm trying to pick up or maintain.

Trying to get that 1.733Gbps signal through two walls and a floor on my 4x4 MIMO 802.11AC network, which requires eight antennae be in precisely the correct orientation, can be quite a chore.

I'm sure the Yugoslav radar operators who managed to detect and shoot down an F-117 (one of the most advanced and stealthiest aircraft of the era), with SAMs directed by 30+ year old Soviet radar sets tuned to frequencies well below what they were specified to operate at, were performing an even greater feat.

The FSS tuning mechanism in ED is a bit more simplistic than I'd find truly engaging, but interpreting it correctly can still provide much of the information the old system map ping could.

The issue is that the FSS is a terrible system scanner, if you can call it one at all.

I don't know .. it's geeky see. If you drill into it, the tuning scale is neat and lore/mind expanding plus, "hang on, just let me tune my mass spectrometer a minute," is a sentence I never thought I'd get to say! I think you'd be pressed to come up with a better new system personally, especially given the old system wasn't a system at all. Change isn't easy but I bet a (not lazy) noob would prefer it in a Pepsi challenge.

I don't know .. it's geeky see. If you drill into it, the tuning scale is neat and lore/mind expanding plus, "hang on, just let me tune my mass spectrometer a minute," is a sentence I never thought I'd get to say! I think you'd be pressed to come up with a better new system personally, especially given the old system wasn't a system at all. Change isn't easy but I bet a (not lazy) noob would prefer it in a Pepsi challenge.

The best analogy I can think of is that some people like jigsaws and other people like colouring books.

The FSS is for the jigsaw people, building up a picture of the system piece by piece.
The ADS was more for the colouring book people - starting with an outline and filling in the detail.

Yes, the old ADS provided too much detail too start with - most people admit that, but if you don't like jigsaws, it was still better than the FSS.

My ideal would be a toned down ADS that provides a less detailed overview.
Selectable targets so that I can choose to fly to targets before scanning.
And the option to use the FSS while I'm on my way.

Best of both worlds, a choice of methods to mix and match as you see fit.

The best analogy I can think of is that some people like jigsaws and other people like colouring books.

The FSS is for the jigsaw people, building up a picture of the system piece by piece.
The ADS was more for the colouring book people - starting with an outline and filling in the detail.

Yes, the old ADS provided too much detail too start with - most people admit that, but if you don't like jigsaws, it was still better than the FSS.

A black and white jigsaw that you can choose to color in.

As long as that ADS is an optional module that would be fine. The idea of having the pinpoint coordinates, knowing where they are and then having to find them again in the FSS would destroy it for me.

As long as that ADS is an optional module that would be fine. The idea of having the pinpoint coordinates, knowing where they are and then having to find them again in the FSS would destroy it for me.

Like I said, a mix and match approach as you see fit.
If the FSS is completely your jam, then don't fit an ADS.

One honk didn't explore the system - it just drew you a map. To explore the system you had to actually fly your spaceship around it.

Wasn't that the early days of space exploration though? An orbital scan for basic composition and installations, is/was low res.
The resolution is higher now, and to explore the system you actually have to fly your spaceship, to map for geological sites and so on.

Probes are the new old discovery system? Drink one finger?

Get you and a qualified yes. But what's wrong witrh - if you want to select a specific planet type without going through the whole lot - tune a planet frequency, resolve those and ignore all the rest, you're there. Represented in a different way graphically yes but same thing.

Last edited:
Depends on what signal I'm trying to pick up or maintain.

Trying to get that 1.733Gbps signal through two walls and a floor on my 4x4 MIMO 802.11AC network, which requires eight antennae be in precisely the correct orientation, can be quite a chore.

I'm sure the Yugoslav radar operators who managed to detect and shoot down an F-117 (one of the most advanced and stealthiest aircraft of the era), with SAMs directed by 30+ year old Soviet radar sets tuned to frequencies well below what they were specified to operate at, were performing an even greater feat.

The FSS tuning mechanism in ED is a bit more simplistic than I'd find truly engaging, but interpreting it correctly can still provide much of the information the old system map ping could.

Let me correct myself, do you find turning the n o b of the car radio amusing?

Wasn't that the early days of space exploration though? An orbital scan for basic composition and installations, is/was low res.
The resolution is higher now, and to explore the system you actually have to fly your spaceship, to map for geological sites and so on.

Probes are the new old discovery system? Drink one finger?

You already know whether there are geological/biological sites from the FSS.
Mapping performs no purpose on non-landable bodies, or on bodies which have no geological/biological sites - it doesn't provide any actual information, just a tag and some extra credits.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom