December Dlc Discussion! New PZ in the following two weeks days?

So, my two cents:

A) How could I complain about the Europe DLC? I was requesting this for month now and I am really happy about the roster. Each and every animal in it is awesome! As for the building pieces, I would have preferred Art nouveau, but I am sure, many of the new ones will be very useful. (I especially like the stone wall.) The winter decoration is not for me.

B) I will never understand Frontier’s launch philosophy. As much as I love the European DLC in itself, it seems to be a somewhat “small/normal” DLC. I would have wagered an arm and a leg, that we would get something bigger. More game changing. The game just had its second anniversary. It is the Christmas DLC - the time in the year, when people are willing to spend extra money on gifts (for themselves and others).
Wouldn’t that have been the perfect timing for that long requested aviary DLC? A large expansion with completely new locomotion mechanic? For a full expansion price (about 20 € or even a bit more)?
Frontier did this to me with Elite: Dangerous as well. Again and again, I would have sworn, we would get a certain content in the next DLC ... only to be proven otherwise.

Again: This is NOT a complaint! (Because I am very happy with my soon to be hosted lynx and fallow deer and badger and ibex and fire salamander. I love them all!)

But it is a statement of puzzlement.

Last edited:
I will never understand Frontier’s launch philosophy. As much as I love the European DLC in itself, it seems to be a somewhat “small/normal” DLC. I would have wagered an arm and a leg, that we would get something bigger. More game changing. The game just had its second anniversary. It is the Christmas DLC - the time in the year, when people are willing to spend extra money on gifts (for themselves and others).
The issue here is that there is actually no precedent in PZ for a "big Christmast release". I've mentioned this before, but we've had two Christmas DLC, one was the Arctic Pack, and one was the Aquatic Pack, and both were standard scenery packs (4+1+scenery). Neither added anything new to the game beyond animals and scenery (the diving that the Aquatic Pack animals utilised was added in the free update, so not technically part of the DLC - for Update 1.1 in December 2019, we got an update which added some improvements to social behaviours).

I admit I was for a while expecting birds this month, too, but then I read a comment that made a lot of sense; introducing a mechanic as complex as free-flight right before Frontier breaks for the holidays would be incredibly foolish, because despite their best intentions it would undoubtedly be buggy and need fixing, and if there's no-one there to fix it there's a good chance a large chunk of players wouldn't be able to utilise the new features over the holiday period.

So it makes more sense to go for a safer route prior to the Christmas break, IMO.

B) I will never understand Frontier’s launch philosophy. As much as I love the European DLC in itself, it seems to be a somewhat “small/normal” DLC. I would have wagered an arm and a leg, that we would get something bigger. More game changing. The game just had its second anniversary. It is the Christmas DLC - the time in the year, when people are willing to spend extra money on gifts (for themselves and others).
Wouldn’t that have been the perfect timing for that long requested aviary DLC? A large expansion with completely new locomotion mechanic? For a full expansion price (about 20 € or even a bit more)?
Frontier did this to me with Elite: Dangerous as well. Again and again, I would have sworn, we would get a certain content in the next DLC ... only to be proven otherwise.

Again: This is NOT a complaint! (Because I am very happy with my soon to be hosted lynx and fallow deer and badger and ibex and fire salamander. I love them all!)

But it is a statement of puzzlement.

I think I understand the launch philosophy (firstly Frontier tries to give us as little in a pack as possible, ☹ that's MY two cents)

Secondly, North America and Europe have A LOT of overlap. One was an animal pack and the other a scenery pack. Makes sense.

They came with the shortest wait between DLC...probably to get Europe out in time for Christmas, also because North America and Europe overlap in terms of species it makes sense to release them back to back in that sense. Fall/Winter 2021 was the final two continents that were left....

Now that all the continents are covered, now that deep diving, burrowing are implemented...wait for the big stuff.

I'm guessing we are getting aviaries...JWE2 did and we found leaks in the files suggesting flying mechanics. 👍

Now that we have deep diving, and a variety of exhibits I could see an aquarium expansion at some point 🤞

I assume those two packs will be bigger than normal.

They had to get Europe DLC out...the company is European and they had ONE continent left for DLC...Europe.

Bavarian Style is annoying, when it is discused about European Representation.
There is southern European, Mediterranean architecture and northern brick structures. Not exclusive, boring alpine framework.

I think Mediterranean is boring architecture for zoo's. 😊

Yes same. I think European animals are boring too. I can drive past 2-3 dead badgers and a deer on the way to work a day, they don’t belong in a zoo. Zoos are for lions and such.
Zoos are to bring awareness to the diversity of animal species. You might drive past 2-3 dead badgers, the same way I drive past 12 dead kangaroos a day, however I still think it is good to see them in a zoo for people to learn about our local species.

I would be stoked to see a badger in a zoo in Australia personally.

I think it great that the game also allow to build some smaller facilities for rescued animals and such. Sometimes you just wish to create a specilized low budget zoo and this is where these "boring" animals comes in handy. Not all zoos need to be the expensive city zoos. I think its great to have some variety in animals. ABC animals sure, but also some rare and also the boring common ones.

I am going to build a zoo inspired by our Zoo Hluboká, they have alot of European animals on display (also Himalayan Brown Bears, looks like I am going to use them for the first time!). They also have amazing European Badger enclosure with artificial burrows, how amazing is that? Its exactly what we are getting in the update, very excited:
1920x1920_1589190715.5949_1188-jezevec_lesni_-_Jerhotova_060.jpg

1920x1920_1588142780.8454_9753-jezevec_lesni_-_Jerhotova_52.jpg

Dromedary Camels are considered zoo animals, but if you live anywhere in the middle east it's basically like seeing a goat.

But to someone living in New York, seeing a camel is like seeing a wild animal.

But I'll be honest, I still would have picked wolverines over badgers.
I do too but after deep consideration not for this pack since wolverines are being present only at the north cap of Europe.
I hope they will find they well deserved place in temperate pack, north Asia pack or carnivores pack.

I do too but after deep consideration not for this pack since wolverines are being present only at the north cap of Europe.
I hope they will find they well deserved place in temperate pack, north Asia pack or carnivores pack.
I hope so too, they are solidly in my top 5 most wanted, but I'm worried after not being included in either NA or Europe.

Not everyone will agree about the badgers or boringness of European species. Some folks from European countries have said they wanted to make zoos with some local species.

I think I said something similar about our "trash pandas," which I've seen in my own yard (not to mention dead on roads), which weren't included in the North America pack but were wanted by some players, and several people pointed out that raccoons are adorable and exotic to folks who don't have them, just like koalas and kangaroos are to those who live outside of Australia. And players from Japan could point out that their macaques are pests that are even culled in some areas of their home range. Heck, there are African species in the game that are going to be boringly common to players from some African countries.

Zoos often have some of the more common animals from their own countries too. Sometimes they put them in children's zoos, or they include them for education about local ecosystems or about the harm in keeping wild animals as pets.

As for the fallow deer, well, I suppose I might feel the same about a mule deer making it into the North America pack. But from the perspective of someone from North America, fallow deer are interesting and pretty deer, nothing like any of our local species here, or like many other deer at all. I personally prefer it to a red deer, which is very similar to our elk, but we won't all agree.

Last edited:
As for the fallow deer, well, I suppose I might feel the same about a mule deer making it into the North America pack. But from the perspective of someone from North America, fallow deer are interesting and pretty deer, nothing like any of our local species here, or like many other deer at all. I personally prefer it to a red deer, which is very similar to our elk, but we won't all agree.
Interesting comparison! Mule deer vs elk for NA is to me fallow deer vs red deer for EU. In other words, the B brand over the A brand, so to say 😅 I still think we'll get a classic red deer at some point in the game, and can't wait to get it. ❤️

I'm actually really thrilled to get the badger. I've been wanting some "garden variety" species. Since I always build in Britain, the badger would be a great addition to any of my zoos. The fallow deer, too, is one I'm very familiar with, having worked with a herd at a local zoo here many times. They're very dainty and charming animals, not as obviously impressive as the red deer but much more fun for guests.

I hope so too, they are solidly in my top 5 most wanted, but I'm worried after not being included in either NA or Europe.
For starters they should be included in the Arctic pack instead of Arctic wolves 🤷🏽
that would make this pack a lot better than it is

The disrespect for the European animals is too damn high!

Jokes aside, it has become annoying to always see how people say European animals are bOrInG and they overlap with NA animals. It's funny because in the same breath, they defend NAAP about how aMaZiNg the animals in that pack are. If they overlap, then by that logic, NA animals are also boring. I don't see how Europe is less deserving of a pack.

The disrespect for the European animals is too damn high!

Jokes aside, it has become annoying to always see how people say European animals are bOrInG and they overlap with NA animals. It's funny because in the same breath, they defend NAAP about how aMaZiNg the animals in that pack are. If they overlap, then by that logic, NA animals are also boring. I don't see how Europe is less deserving of a pack.
Now wait until you see the same content creators that rightout said "we don't need a europe pack, europe only has deers and is boring" hype over the pack to get clicks (and revenue) and the rage is complete. ;) hands over some chocolate

Top Bottom