[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery

BTW I will be opening the mugs store tomorrow, all going well. It costs me to keep the store open, so I will probably only keep it open for a month or two. I've designed some other cool DW2 stuff, and it's all free shipping so that's cool.

Also the medallions and patches are nearly ready to be put up, will reply when new things are up. Memorabilia!

Well that would be nice but that would make the old one over powered

Not too sure on it being overpowered. yes you can honk and see the system map, but you have to travel to each body for the scan, when you do the honk on the new module you can sit where you are and scan all bodies. both have their benefits and both have their draw backs.

On another note, are you up to get interdicted when your sat nest to the star and are busy scanning bodies? Out in the black it will be fine as there are rarely anyone/thing there to interdict you but in the bubble.....thats where the old module will work.

Not too sure on it being overpowered. yes you can honk and see the system map, but you have to travel to each body for the scan, when you do the honk on the new module you can sit where you are and scan all bodies. both have their benefits and both have their draw backs.

On another note, are you up to get interdicted when your sat nest to the star and are busy scanning bodies? Out in the black it will be fine as there are rarely anyone/thing there to interdict you but in the bubble.....thats where the old module will work.

Good point

Ok Mugs and other official memorabilia is up, I designed it all myself (except the logo of course) and it's beautiful (but I am biased). Any small profit made will hopefully be enough to give me a chance to take a break from work and focus on organising the expedition :)

Join the mug club!

[video=youtube;ccFkQ7zu-CA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccFkQ7zu-CA[/video]

https://dw2expedition.wixsite.com/home/memorabilia

Store direct: https://dw2mugclub.myshopify.com/

Instructions on getting a custom made mug with your CMDR Name:
First: DO NOT BUY A REGULAR MUG
READ CAREFULLY: If you would like a custom mug with your name and roster number on it, please click the donate button in the store or on the website, and make a donation (minimum £5, tips welcome), and on the next screen add a note stating which mug you want (black or white), your CMDR name and your roster number. Then await an email within a week or so with a link to purchase your mug for £14.50 + free shipping!

For the record, I have absolutely no notion of dropping from DWE2, and I actually love 90% of the new 3.3 exploration changes. I'm simply concerned they are going to slow me down so much that I won't be able to keep up, that's all.

I've been doing testing for the past few days and compiling data and times, and I think I need to amend my criticism a bit.

Yeah full on exploring from a systems per hour aspect is slower in 3.3 than it is in live today, but I've managed to find a good traveling exploration method with the new stuff, and now I'm not so concerned with falling behind on the DWE2. I think I'll still be able to travel relatively fast when I need to without foregoing all exploration along the way.

I made a thread in the beta forum detailing my testing and results, if anyone is interested here it is:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ad-Surprisingly-the-rumors-may-be-exaggerated

I've been doing testing for the past few days and compiling data and times, and I think I need to amend my criticism a bit.

Yeah full on exploring from a systems per hour aspect is slower in 3.3 than it is in live today, but I've managed to find a good traveling exploration method with the new stuff, and now I'm not so concerned with falling behind on the DWE2. I think I'll still be able to travel relatively fast when I need to without foregoing all exploration along the way.

I made a thread in the beta forum detailing my testing and results, if anyone is interested here it is:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ad-Surprisingly-the-rumors-may-be-exaggerated

Excellent summary on your thread Mengy [up]

"Routine C: 137 seconds per jump, 26 systems/hr, 1742 lys/hr."

This is quicker than I've managed but the more I get to grips with it, I'm becoming more efficient in my routine. The biggest obstacle believe it or not was setting keybinds that I felt comfortable with, tried binding everything to the joystick, then a gamepad, then keyboard, finally settled for the mouse (as it has lots of nifty buttons I can map commands to).

Until we try it, none of us will know exactly how these new aspects of gameplay will effect the pacing of long-duration events like DW2, and the urge to travel to the next WP gathering as quickly as possible will be pretty strong (as that's what a lot of us have been used to for the past 4 years - old habits will die hard), but I'm pretty sure that after the first 2 or 3 waypoints people will find their routine and settle into it.

Also bear in mind that the average distance between weekly waypoints will be less than 4,500 LYs (one or two are 5K+, but the majority much less). So its not like on DW1 where we had some waypoints upto 8,000 LYs apart that we had to cross in a week with no engineered FSDs or Guardian Boosters! Also we won't be releasing waypoints more a few days in advance so the whole thing has been structured and broken down into 17 mini-expeditions (each 'expedition' ~4,500 LYs long, and each lasting a whole week before the next stage is revealed). This journey is about a slower paced and deeper aspect to exploration than what DW1 was, which was more of an endurance test truth be told :)

Last edited:
This journey is about a slower paced and deeper aspect to exploration than what DW1 was, which was more of an endurance test truth be told :)

I think endurance was the major attribute of every explorer class I've played in Pen'n'Paper. That, and luck :D

@Mengy: I commented in the FD forums already and it's an excellent review. Kudos!!!

Thanks for posting your detailed analysis! Yeah, that's very encouraging. I've found that when I was jonking along, looking for something to catch my eye, I often did about 55 seconds per star system in the previous mechanics, since I would often scan the closest body, if there was one within reach already. Sometimes I would scan more, because they were clustered together or all very close to arrival, in which case my travel time might be closer to your C example anyway.

I just wish the POI scan would complete faster, but I think that's doing procedural content generation to find the POIs, rather than being an artificial timer, so I think that's here to stay.

I just wish the POI scan would complete faster, but I think that's doing procedural content generation to find the POIs, rather than being an artificial timer, so I think that's here to stay.

I mentioned that in my thread. Don't sit and wait for the POI scan to complete, back out and continue scanning the rest of the bodies in the system. The POI scan actually continues in the background, and then when the system is fully scanned go back to the planet with the POI's and now the locations will show instantly.

Allitnil discovered that nice little tidbit. :)

I mentioned that in my thread. Don't sit and wait for the POI scan to complete, back out and continue scanning the rest of the bodies in the system. The POI scan actually continues in the background, and then when the system is fully scanned go back to the planet with the POI's and now the locations will show instantly.

Allitnil discovered that nice little tidbit. :)

Yeah that's a really good trick. My sanity has been saved from potential oblivion. :D

EDIT: Now I see where he was replying to me about it. I just got back on the forum since I posted that previous message about it, and hadn't caught up on that thread yet. LOL.

Last edited:
Actually, you get a full detailed surface scan (per the old system) of the entire system (even if nearly 100 bodies) in under 5 minutes with the new system. The old way, that would have taken over an hour for a full scan. The only thing REALLY slowing you down is POI scanning (mapping) which can be saved for those planets that look really interesting. Of course, it now takes that 5 minutes to SEE if there is anything worth further investigation, as opposed to the 40 seconds by the current system.

The only thing I really don't like about it is that the new mechanic makes pointless the engineering we have done on our sensors for "fast scan" or "Long range scan".

It makes the choice pointless, yes, but I was under the impression that they would be converted to the increased probe radius engineering option. So at least it wasn't a total waste.

Coming back to the forum after it scared me away with the heated discussions about the new exploration mechanics, but they seem to have calmed down now. So for the mining thing, I think it will be much fun mining stuff for the science station to be built, but it also requires a good amount of modules, which makes me start in an Anaconda, tho I will head to Colonia after that to switch to a different ship (also suggest that to toher peopel who have a similar issue with that ;) ).

So far I'm excited-ish for the expedition, but there is one thing I have weird feelings about: How are the meetups going to be? I have been on smaller expeditions before and most of the time we managed to get everyone into the same instance, but looking at the scale of DW2, that's not going to happen. So my question is, how will meetups be organised? I guess some groups of people who know each other might band together in smaller meetups, but I still feel kinda lost about it, what will happen? Random clusters of people? Will it be organized completely? I haven't been on the original DW so I don't know what to expect^^"

Apart from that, looking forward to find more phenomena and being able to study them, like these:

m7Kq7Ue.png

O7

Top Bottom