Release Elite Dangerous Market Connector (EDMC)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
And this program doesn't work for me at all. Although earlier a year ago it worked fine, and I could look at the data on my ship. Now there is no such thing since spring.
The same Windows 10 with the latest updates. It just stopped working on some version and gives an error, a screenshot of which I have previously shown here. :(

Could any of you who are having this "it keeps asking for auth" issue please state what version of EDMC you're on.

I'm assuming it's 5.2.0. If that is true, then could you please try rolling back to EDMC 5.1.3. You'll need to first uninstall the app from Windows and then manually run the 5.1.3 installer.

Could any of you who are having this "it keeps asking for auth" issue please state what version of EDMC you're on.

I'm assuming it's 5.2.0. If that is true, then could you please try rolling back to EDMC 5.1.3. You'll need to first uninstall the app from Windows and then manually run the 5.1.3 installer.
Yes, it's 5.2.0. I'll see if I can roll it back.

Edit: bloody Chrome blocked the download of the .msi.
To help protect users, Google maintains a list of websites that are known to host malicious downloads and a list of trusted software publishers.
If I can work out how to get past this, I'll install it.

Last edited:
I'll be trying to investigate this auth issue myself this afternoon. It would help if I know the kinds of things the affected players do.

1. What kind of in-game activities ?
  2. Do you ever press the EDMC 'Update' button ? (Hint: There's almost no reason to do this, and its functionality will be changing in the future)
  3. Does any particular activity lead to the auth re-request? i.e. "I docked, it did automatic update fine, then after 10 minutes I pressed Update".

I'll be trying to investigate this auth issue myself this afternoon. It would help if I know the kinds of things the affected players do.

2. Do you ever press the EDMC 'Update' button ? (Hint: There's almost no reason to do this, and its functionality will be changing in the future)
  3. Does any particular activity lead to the auth re-request? i.e. "I docked, it did automatic update fine, then after 10 minutes I pressed Update".
Just been flying back and forth between a station and FC.
Haven't been pressing Update.
In terms of activity - it just seems to do happen on docking sometimes. I've noticed it happen on loading the game too (possibly because I always log out docked somewhere, so presumably logging back in already docked is triggering the same conditions as docking).

Indeed, if you're not pressing the Update button, then CAPI queries (which are what we need the Frontier auth for) are only fired when you dock, or login docked. Having ruled out manual presses of Update that allows me to focus a little bit, thanks.

I guess I'm spending the day grinding credits to top up my FC balance until it happens to me.

Just in case I can't get this to trigger, could any of you experiencing this please reply to https://github.com/EDCD/EDMarketConnector/issues/1330 with your DEBUG logs. Thanks!

Indeed, if you're not pressing the Update button, then CAPI queries (which are what we need the Frontier auth for) are only fired when you dock, or login docked. Having ruled out manual presses of Update that allows me to focus a little bit, thanks.

I guess I'm spending the day grinding credits to top up my FC balance until it happens to me.

Just in case I can't get this to trigger, could any of you experiencing this please reply to https://github.com/EDCD/EDMarketConnector/issues/1330 with your DEBUG logs. Thanks!
I noticed the same increased times of auth requests, but I think it started happening last week when I activated a new alt commander on the same PC and windows user, so I just ignored it and attributed it to that. The authentication requests happen on my main commander, though.

I have seen this happening as well. All I noticed was every time I landed, screen would switch to Chrome for a quick login. Sorry, no account on GitHub, cant help you there. Newer version, yes. If it keeps giving me issues, I will roll it back.

It's not difficult to create a GitHub account. Without logs there's not a lot to go on for tracking this down.

I'm gambling on being able to reproduce the issue today. If I can't then the only clue will be debug logs from people it is affecting.

I've only seen the normal frequency of re-authorisations on 5.2.0, nothing like what has been reported above.

Those who are affected.... what type of game account do you have ? Frontier, Steam or Epic Games Store ?

1. Foot missions of various types, but mostly restore missions.
2. I never press the Update button because I know the tool updates on its own every time I dock.
3. The re-auth request happens when docking. Sometimes happens when I log into the game.
Those who are affected.... what type of game account do you have ? Frontier, Steam or Epic Games Store ?
Steam.

I have logged into the Frontier API using both my Frontier account login and the Steam oAuth. Method used for authorizing EDMC doesn't seem to have any effect on whether I'll have to re-auth in the future.

OK, I've identified one thing the newer CAPI code is doing wrong. It is indeed forcing a full re-auth whenever the Access Token expires, which happens at most 4 hours after it is obtained. It should instead be using the Refresh Token (valid for 25 days from authorization) to get a new Access Token. So stay tuned for a 5.2.1 fixing this in a day or so.

Last edited:
OK, I've identified one thing the newer CAPI code is doing wrong. It is indeed forcing a full re-auth whenever the Access Token expires, which happens at most 4 hours after it is obtained. It should instead be using the Refresh Token (valid for 25 days from authorization) to get a new Access Token. So stay tuned for a 5.2.1 fixing this in a day or so.
Wonderful, Athan!

I just got to the forum and saw this. I have also been affected using V5.2.0, Frontier account, various mission types. The duration for the token expiration then requiring a full auth sounds about right for what I have been seeing in terms of browser pop-up requiring a login. Really appreciate your responsive investigation. (y)

...in case it's helpful to others, Athan:

I see that I can enable a Debug-level log in the Configuration tab of EDMC's Settings. Is the log file placed in the directory shown for File Location in the Output tab?
Do I need to close and restart EDMC once I have selected the Debug Log?

Last edited:
...in case it's helpful to others, Athan:

I see that I can enable a Debug-level log in the Configuration tab of EDMC's Settings. Is the log file placed in the directory shown for File Location in the Output tab?
Do I need to close and restart EDMC once I have selected the Debug Log?
No need for any of that. There's the main log file which captures all output, and then there's the separate debug log file which captures all logging at DEBUG level (or TRACE if you enable that). The debug log file is size limited to 1MB, and rotated up to 10 times if needs be. Heck, why don't I just link again to https://github.com/EDCD/EDMarketConnector/wiki/Troubleshooting#debug-log-files which says all you need to know.

The key thing is that the plain log file will be at user-configured log level but will also contain any plain, not logged, output such as uncaught exceptions, whereas the debug logfile is always at DEBUG level, but will not contain such not-logging output. Mostly the debug log file is more useful, but in those cases where there's output that's not logging, we also need the plain one (which is truncated on each run of the program, so you need to supply it immediatelty a problem occurs, certainly before re-running the program).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom