Elite Dangerous PS4 Feature Requests and PS4 FAQ

Yeah, I had to change a few Hotas settings to be able to explore the map easier, but I still forget what they are at times.

I don't think there is a technical reason for not being able to map certain controls (SRV and FSS etc) to the DS4 and flight controls to the HOTAS. It's just that Frontier haven't put an effort in to implement it, which leaves us PS4 players who invested in the HOTAS at an enormous disadvantage compared to PC players who are able to use HOTAS, gamepads and keyboards and mice all at the same time.

A lot of players want space-legs, atmospheric planets etc... the two things I really want from Elite are crossplay and this.

Yeah, I had to change a few Hotas settings to be able to explore the map easier, but I still forget what they are at times.

Fortunately, you can use the DS4 to type text. If you haven't already, it might be worth checking if a USB keyboard works for text entry alongside using the Hotas for everything else.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard that I connect up from time to time when I use my hotas and expect to be messaging people. It can be done.

Hi

Frontier could put more trophies on ps4. I dont know why they dont put more. Xbox have more then 200. Some games on ps4 have more then 120 trophies. Rise of tomb raider have 121, driveclub have 128. Train sim world have 119 they now added 2 nd trophy list to the game and renamed the first (set 1) and the 2nd (set 2) frontier could do the same.

Using a Dualshock4, I am looking for a spreadsheet or map that shows a blank canvas of what I could map my controller to do in Elite dangerous. My search has proved fruitless up to this point. If there is an available spreadsheet or blank mapping that I could be pointed to it would be much appreciated. I want to see all the possible items I can bind to to figure out what to map and what not to map to.

Not a blank canvas as I created this for my controls. It lists all possible button combos I could work out on the dual shock 4. You could maybe fill it out to your liking?

Frontier could put more trophies on ps4. I dont know why they dont put more. Xbox have more then 200. Some games on ps4 have more then 120 trophies. Rise of tomb raider have 121, driveclub have 128. Train sim world have 119 they now added 2 nd trophy list to the game and renamed the first (set 1) and the 2nd (set 2) frontier could do the same.
Perhaps they'd like to fix the issue of some of the current DLC trophies not popping before they start adding any more!

Perhaps they'd like to fix the issue of some of the current DLC trophies not popping before they start adding any more!

Also, it's now impossible to get the platinum trophy, since there is a trophy you need to get for Community Goals and they've stopped doing them.

Regards Commanders.
I believe that is very important keyboard support for another actions complementary to fly. I think that the use the numerical (only) usb keyboard is a great solution for this rapid action instead of memorized several complex key combinate in DS or HOTAS for simple actions.
A numerical pad is small and have 15 keys + Intro. 15 diferents action at 1 push action similar to PC game.
I vote for it!!!.

(Sorry for my little English)

Regards Commanders.
I believe that is very important keyboard support for another actions complementary to fly. I think that the use the numerical (only) usb keyboard is a great solution for this rapid action instead of memorized several complex key combinate in DS or HOTAS for simple actions.
A numerical pad is small and have 15 keys + Intro. 15 diferents action at 1 push action similar to PC game.
I vote for it!!!.
(Sorry for my little English)

Whilst it is a good idea, given the historic track record of Frontier, I doubt it will happen any time soon.
There are two reasons I can think of:

1) Market penetration - will adding keyboard or numberpad support drastically increase the revenue generated from Elite? Will a sizable number of players purchase the game because of keyboard / numberpad support? Will a sizable number of players leave the game if Frontier don't provide Keyboard / numberpad support? - I don't think so.

2) Technical ability - Can the Cobra Engine handle input from 15+1 additional instructions? The game already segregates certain functions allowing the same key bind to carry out different roles, depending on the context (Supercruise, FSS, Spaceflight, SRV driving). The game has been optimised for the console. In doing that, Frontier have had to create a unique UI for Xbox and PS4. Type Approving a keypad to use would then entail questions about how is it represented on screen, how would you assign functions to the associated keys, would a keypad work in conjunction with a DS4 and / or a HOTAS? Would it be a standalone config section? All questions that are not insurmountable but would need to be addressed. See 1) for reasons why this wouldn't be high on Frontier's to do list.

Whilst it is a good idea, given the historic track record of Frontier, I doubt it will happen any time soon.
There are two reasons I can think of:

1) Market penetration - will adding keyboard or numberpad support drastically increase the revenue generated from Elite? Will a sizable number of players purchase the game because of keyboard / numberpad support? Will a sizable number of players leave the game if Frontier don't provide Keyboard / numberpad support? - I don't think so.

2) Technical ability - Can the Cobra Engine handle input from 15+1 additional instructions? The game already segregates certain functions allowing the same key bind to carry out different roles, depending on the context (Supercruise, FSS, Spaceflight, SRV driving). The game has been optimised for the console. In doing that, Frontier have had to create a unique UI for Xbox and PS4. Type Approving a keypad to use would then entail questions about how is it represented on screen, how would you assign functions to the associated keys, would a keypad work in conjunction with a DS4 and / or a HOTAS? Would it be a standalone config section? All questions that are not insurmountable but would need to be addressed. See 1) for reasons why this wouldn't be high on Frontier's to do list.
You don't necessary represent the pad on screen. It's a add-on over DS or HOTAS.
I use the HOTAS but the re- mapping set buttons and memorized, is most harder learning curve and minus flexible than PC.
The idea is approx the use at common player and add on flexibility and usability for side tasks how launch drone, open carry stage, thrust at 25%, 50%, 75% ... power shields, launch defensive items etc.
It's most easy one click than combine keys.
Now, the keyboard it's only for intro characters use.

Regards.

Terra6790

Banned
lol its been 2 years since fdev told me they were doing everything in theyr power to bring elite to VR in the ps4 since they say its aVR game! lol to theyr 'efforts' on that and everything related to ps4 gameplay...and was going to say 'with the exception of the arx shop' but theres issues there as well x'D just ridiculous escuse for professionals but i love how some accounts in here dont do or say anything other than advocate frontier! x'D

I feel this is a valid question/request for ps4 players....

With the participation in 10 or more community goals to achieve a specific trophy being a requirement to complete all trophies, how are ps4 commanders supposed to be able to achieve 100% completion? Or, can this trophy be removed as it is impossible to obtain?

Last edited:
I feel this is a valid question/request for ps4 players....

With the participation in 10 or more community goals to achieve a specific trophy being a requirement to complete all trophies, how are ps4 commanders supposed to be able to achieve 100% completion? Or, can this trophy still be removed as it is impossible to obtain?

Yeah good point, totally un-achievable at the moment as things currently stand.

Perhaps the PS Trophies will get a New Era clean-up/refresh end of the year?

The biggest issue for me as a featured improvement is not the input/output mechanisms such as keyboards etc. (Some of which, if not all of which, are seriously hampered by SONY not FDev) or VR (Also hampered by SONY) but the GAME related stuff that is certainly within FDEV's purview to fix.

1) EDDB in game - why is this not an in-game possibility? Why does everything in-game have to be such a mystery - even the simplest game facts like where to buy something and at what price?
2) INARA in game - why is the Commander profile so lacking in summary information?
3) TRAINING / KNOWLEDGE BASE in game - again if you want to KNOW how to DO ANYTHING you need to resort to a multitude of out of game sites to do it? Fine, I've had to resort to the odd walkthrough for a game or two outside of the actual ameplay if I get really stuck, but ED seems to RELY on other people passing on the knowledge but I don't see why that's necessary.
4) HOLO ME - seriously need to work on that single ultra skinny body shape (and possibly the hair).
5) SAVED HOTAS PROFILES - really it can't be that hard to allow PS4 commanders to save more than one HOTAS profile can it?
6) ARENA MATCHMAKING - really as a KIWI its so darn hard to get a game on - it cannot be that hard can it? I'm sure there are enough people playing roughly in my timezone - really?! Really?

And a lot of these things have been on the wanted list for years. I still like the game but it still feels only slightly more than 50% completed and I get a funny feeling it feels like its winding down. NO idea what this new end of year release (maybe next year release) will look like but I think its not going to be as big as we want on console and it have feeling it will be the last one for quite some time....

The biggest issue for me as a featured improvement is not the input/output mechanisms such as keyboards etc. (Some of which, if not all of which, are seriously hampered by SONY not FDev) or VR (Also hampered by SONY) but the GAME related stuff that is certainly within FDEV's purview to fix.

There's really no reason for not supporting the keyboard. If the game can register a keypress for in-game chat, it could register the same keypress for a ship function. As for the mouse I don't know if Sony has a policy against it. I hope for PS5 Sony comes up with an I/O scheme that includes KBAM and a generic multi-axis, multi-button joystick interface. Of course they might not, since console gaming has a particular image and apparently that image involves input devices that are merely an evolution of the original NES controller. With a headphone jack.

1) EDDB in game - why is this not an in-game possibility? Why does everything in-game have to be such a mystery - even the simplest game facts like where to buy something and at what price?

I actually think it's fine the way it is. I shudder at the thought of how much less there would be in the already-starved-for-meaningful-content-game if FDev had allocated resources for developing in-game tooling like EDDB, Inara or Coriolis. So nowadays I actually say let FDev focus on the core gameplay and the APIs, and let the playerbase come up with the useful extensions. IMHO

I'm sure there are enough people playing roughly in my timezone - really?! Really?

🤔 I really don't know. ED on PS4 is already a niche and CQC on ED must be an in-game niche so 🤷‍♂️

I actually think it's fine the way it is. I shudder at the thought of how much less there would be in the already-starved-for-meaningful-content-game if FDev had allocated resources for developing in-game tooling like EDDB, Inara or Coriolis. So nowadays I actually say let FDev focus on the core gameplay and the APIs, and let the playerbase come up with the useful extensions. IMHO
I get what you're saying but having to leave the game world to find the best trade routes is not what I'd call a good thing.

Will Elite dangerous work on the backwards compatibility with the PS5? If not are Frontier planing a next gen console edition that I hope allows us to carry our commanders over to the new consoles?

if not come December they may lose more then a few of their console player base as they upgrade.

Sony issue that really isn't it? And yes Sony have decided after much PS3 backlash that the PS4 games will be compatible with PS5 architecture.

Top Bottom