That is assuming that 'those' players actually have a cargo rack in their ship, we know most don't since that space can be used for another MRP or three.

Nah, they will just have fun shooting the pods, or if they are near a star, pushing them into the exclusion zone lol
must remember cargo rack for feeding escape pods to Thargoids.

I can see I was wrong, I'm actually starting to see some entertaining gameplay emerge...
:devilish:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
That is assuming that 'those' players actually have a cargo rack in their ship, we know most don't since that space can be used for another MRP or three.

Nah, they will just have fun shooting the pods, or if they are near a star, pushing them into the exclusion zone lol
If scooping CMDR escape pods was a thing then I'm prepared to lay a quite significant wager that particular players would fit cargo racks for this specific purpose.

.... better yet, transfer it to another player's altCMDR and leave that account dormant for a few months....

Escape pods in frontier were little shuttlecraft. The button was annoyingly close to another one, ecm maybe? On more than one occasion I accidently left my ship and cargo ditched in space.

Anyway, give em very fast drives and eject then straight into supercruise/hyperspace

must remember cargo rack for feeding escape pods to Thargoids.

I can see I was wrong, I'm actually starting to see some entertaining gameplay emerge...
:devilish:
Cuffs, just remember the gameplay on emerges when another Commander or NPC not only flies within a certain distance to where you are floating in your magical escape pod, but they also have to have some mechanism to know where to drop out of SC, and most importantly want to help you. Think of it, there you are on a 30,000ly trek into the unknown, trying to fight the urge to scratch your eyes out if you have to scan one more system and find nothing interesting, and you get some signal that there is a life pod nearby. Do you stop your exploration, pick up the pod, fly all the way back to civilisation, wasting maybe weeks of your journey. Or do you say to yourself 'screw you lifepod guy, if you were that irresponsible to die out here you deserve everything you get'/

Me, I would pick the latter every time lol

Greetings Commanders!

Currently, if your ship is destroyed, you get ejected in an escape pod into outer space - but instantly get respawned at a station or detention centre. I think that it would be more realistic and immersive if you got ejected and had to stay in your pod until someone arrives, picks you up and hands you into a Search and Rescue contact. There could be a UI in your pod which would allow you to activate a distress beacon or communicate with others in the system channel.

This would add a whole new layer of gameplay - an equivalent to the Fuel Rats could be organised by players specifically to respond to players stranded in space after ship accidents. The player could also alternatively have an option to send out a message to the local authority forces so an NPC would come after some time and fly them to the nearest station. Most importantly, it would be more realistic and immersive. Getting your ship destroyed nowadays doesn't mean much, it's more of an annoyance than a threat. You have a 5% rebuy rate and instantly appear at a nearby facility which usually sets you back no more than a few minutes of gameplay. If this was added, ship destruction would be more impactful, because that's err.. the worst thing that can happen to your game character. The Search and Rescue contact would also get a purpose.

What do you think?
1: That would mean, breaking the rubber band; attaching you to your last docking point.
2: Have you seen the Alien films? How long was she floating in space for? I would say that this is a wonderful idea, if you are not the one stranded.
3: How do you make escape pods, indestructible? I would bet, that 1 in 4 players, would be using them as target practise.

All the technologies are already there for decent escape pod functionality.
Imagine the escape pod as an an unarmed SLF. Flyable, so you're only scoopable if you want to be (power down engines)
Fuel rats already rescue people anywhere.
the escape pod 'game' should be OPTIONAL though, so you can maybe log out & back in to the nearest station.
I had similar thoughts a while back.

You have been a Mod for too long. It has tainted you opinion, of the human race.
Waaaay back when this was first suggested there were already people salivating over the prospect of keeping commanders imprisoned in their ships forever. This thread probably just all of them a collective orgasm. I'm sure they're already preparing their open letters and polls to insist on gimp suit cosmetics and the ability to "gift" them to their pets other commanders.

Hmm, we could name star systems after the pilots we abandon in orbit around the star, a sort of permanent marker. I'm going to name my first system "Daniel Klimchuk." May it's captive namesake greet all visitors for ever after.

Well. Now that you have sown the seed. I can see lots of ships/accounts, with the largest cargo holds, that can be fitted, only coming out of dock, to harvest, 'just one more victim',
As if the 'usual suspects' haven't thought of this years ago. Trying to pin the blame on Robert Maynard is pointless at best.

Alright, I stand corrected. That wasn't a good idea. There should be a realism/time balance in any game, because I imagine that most people in the community come home after work and want to enjoy something, and getting the ship destroyed, being forced to wait hours might upset them. After reading some posts here I got reminded of the Star Citizen situation. 10 minutes to get to the starport and call your ship, 15 minutes to get into your ship, etc.. jeez by the time you're in the cockpit you'd need to be going to bed. Consider this thread closed, good luck.
Eve, uses the escape pod system and most of the time, the pod is shot and destroyed in seconds, by the victorious aggressor.

Many many people, have a spark of what they believe, is a brilliant and innovative idea and the more they think about it, the better it sounds, to them. Then they go public and the faults, are pointed out.

However: All of the really good ideas, would not have been implemented, if the thinkers, had kept them, to themselves and we would still be living in the caves and throwing rocks, at each other.

Hmm, we could name star systems after the pilots we abandon in orbit around the star, a sort of permanent marker. I'm going to name my first system "Daniel Klimchuk." May it's captive namesake greet all visitors for ever after.
tenor.gif

Top Bottom