Europe pack: megathread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think another factor is the following: how likely is a European pack?
I see rumors saying that it'll never happen, which doesn't make sense, really.

Now, I also noticed that they're sneakily adding in European animals through other packs. NA gave us the moose, Arctic gave us the reindeer (polar bears are occasionally in Iceland, but that's not their natural range, right?)
Aquatic gave us the gray seal.
Plus, we have the gray wolf (unless they rename it to a specific NA subspecies) and we have the American look-a-likes of European species (bison and beaver).

So, what do y'all think?
I feel like a European pack is a must at this point, and maybe the only pack I can see "for sure" being done. It may not be next, but we don't know what may be next. We can speculate and want Aviaries but who knows PZ may not even go that route at all. They've at least gone the route of Locality and to an extent Biomes. We can guess at Biomes but I think with all the other continents covered, Europe has to be coming soon. I'm thinking the first 2022 pack because if it's for December that's four locality based packs released back to back. I just don't see that happening.

I'm not discrediting anything, and I'd love a europe pack, I just don't like the recent push to it as if it's the only region with lacking representation.
No one is saying it's the only region lacking representation... it is however the only continent that hasn't gotten a dedicated DLC pack... and since prior representation clearly doesn't matter, bringing up what the game does and doesn't already have is pointless. Furthermore, the meta list indicates a whole animal pack worth of European animals are sitting in the top 30... so there is plenty of demand for them...

I think a Spring time would be perfect for a European DLC. With a nice spring forest thematic it could be a quite a nice dlc.
As for the animals my picks would be:

1. Eurasian Lynx
file-20190403-177190-1a2n3pp.jpg

2. Red Deer
Red-deer_SBP_DGR.jpg

3. European Badger
maxresdefault.jpg

4. Red Fox
red-fox-vulpes-vulpes-standing-on-darrell-gulin.jpg

5. Alpine Ibex
_109533630_ibexbodyitalianalpsgetty4de.jpg

6. Wolverine
wolverine-c078837e-f883-4608-9cac-a00a011f4e4-resize-750.jpg

7. Crested Porcupine (ok, this one is a bit of far fetched, but still a way to introduce them to the game, they are present in Italy)
Porc-%C3%A9pic-%C3%A0-cr%C3%A8te-Photo%20-%20mammif%C3%A8reR.jpg
Hmm... good choices, although I kinda doubt the porcupine... would be a bit too complicated for an animal pack I think...

Another good choice--and similarly vaguely European--is the Przewalski's Horse.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think red foxes would be a good pick. They're not exactly a very "exotic" animal, and we already have 7 canids, 2 of which are in the red foxes' genus...

I also feel that it'd stifle the perception of European wildlife, having to resort to the common fox for a full pack

To be honest, I don't think red foxes would be a good pick. They're not exactly a very "exotic" animal, and we already have 7 canids, 2 of which are in the red foxes' genus...

I also feel that it'd stifle the perception of European wildlife, having to resort to the common fox for a full pack
At this point, the place for the red fox would be with the arabian oryx and greater rhea at a reskin pack in my opinion. Especially with how the NA pack managed 7 animals with no reskins.

Like it or not they're very popular... also, only one fox is of the vulpes genus. Pretty sure the Arctic Fox is alopex.

I think Europe will be a scenery pack. The hypothetical biome packs are most likely going to be animal packs and aviaries (and hopefully aquariums) should be a bigger expansion (we all desperately hope) so the only opportunity for a classic pack for CCs and builders would be Europe.

My hopeful dream roster for it would be:

Ibex
Iberian Lynx
Red Deer
Wolverine
Fire Salamander

With a Bavarian/ alpine theme

Saigas and P horses can go in a biome pack or endangered species pack

I think Europe will be a scenery pack. The hypothetical biome packs are most likely going to be animal packs and aviaries (and hopefully aquariums) should be a bigger expansion (we all desperately hope) so the only opportunity for a classic pack for CCs and builders would be Europe.

My hopeful dream roster for it would be:

Ibex
Iberian Lynx
Red Deer
Wolverine
Fire Salamander

With a Bavarian/ alpine theme

Saigas and P horses can go in a biome pack or endangered species pack
This sounds like a perfect pack (including building theme). Ideally I'd trade out the Red Deer for the European Badger, but I don't expect more than one mustelid and will be happy with one. And since we didn't get it in the NA pack, I'd much rather have the Wolverine than European Badger.

the document you shows says perfectly about the Tibetan fox (Vulpes ferrilata as article says), not the arctic fox (Alopex lagopus)
When geneticists do DNA tests, they will sample the DNA of additional species to determine what their focal species is related to. In this case, several other foxes were genetically sampled as well. The genetic results nestled Arctic foxes firmly within the genus Vulpes. The genus Alopex is no longer valid, and hasn't been accepted for centuries AFAIK.

I understand the concern of not wanting another fox, especially now that we will be getting the arctic fox, but I feel like they are just too iconic for European forests, it would be like not including the alligator in NA.
But consider this:
  • Red deer
  • Ibex
  • lynx
  • badger
  • wild boar
  • porcupine
  • wild horses
  • eurasian otter
  • fallow deer

All iconic, and would give us much more versatility than yet another canine.

How is another cat better than another canine?
While I do agree it’s ridiculous the hate bears and dogs get vs cats in PZ the lynx is unique as it’s a small cat. If we got the sloth bear or spectacled Bear or the maned Wolf or Bush dog and people hated it would be unreasonable. To me the lynx is the equivalent of those additions because their unique from what we have in game

While I do agree it’s ridiculous the hate bears and dogs get vs cats in PZ the lynx is unique as it’s a small cat. If we got the sloth bear or spectacled Bear or the maned Wolf or Bush dog and people hated it would be unreasonable. To me the lynx is the equivalent of those additions because their unique from what we have in game
This! Of all canines and bears left, the spectacled bear and maned wolf are significantly different, both morphologically, regionally, biome-wise and rig-wise.

The rest of the animals from these groups (especially wolves, foxes, coyotes and the like) are by now retreading the same ground, and each time they take a precious dlc slot from other more unique animals. Of the 34 dlc habitat animals so far, we had 5 canines, 2 of which are wolf subspecies. It builds fatigue over time.

This! Of all canines and bears left, the spectacled bear and maned wolf are significantly different, both morphologically, regionally, biome-wise and rig-wise.

The rest of the animals from these groups (especially wolves, foxes, coyotes and the like) are by now retreading the same ground, and each time they take a precious dlc slot from other more unique animals. Of the 34 dlc habitat animals so far, we had 5 canines, 2 of which are wolf subspecies. It builds fatigue over time.
Well, it could be argued that we did not need another big cat (big as in size) in the NA pack in form of cougar, but it is so iconic that it simple had to be included. Could be the same with the Red Fox. In the end Frontier will decide that so the best we can do is to share our preferences.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom