Europe pack: megathread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well, it could be argued that we did not need another big cat (big as in size) in the NA pack in form of cougar, but it is so iconic that it simple had to be included. Could be the same with the Red Fox. In the end Frontier will decide that so the best we can do is to share our preferences.
I will forever defend the cougar. I feel like it’s necessary for proper NA zoos and it represents the biggest of the small cats with the cheetah in game in my opinion a lynx and caracal or serval would round up our cats perfectly

I'm still not convinced we will get a Europe pack. I think aviaries -> biome packs. With the potential to get some European animals in any taiga/alpine, grasslands or temperate biome packs.
I think/ dream for it to be aviaries expansion, next biome animal pack (desert maybe) then Europe pack (the last old school scenery pack), then another biome animal pack (tropical or temperate with a climbing update), then aquarium expansion like the aviaries. Maybe wishful thinking but I think it’s possible

I think/ dream for it to be aviaries expansion, next biome animal pack (desert maybe) then Europe pack (the last old school scenery pack), then another biome animal pack (tropical or temperate with a climbing update), then aquarium expansion like the aviaries. Maybe wishful thinking but I think it’s possible
The more I think of it the more I lean towards a seperate game for aquariums, ideally one that can combine with PZ if you own both. An aquarium dlc won't really do aquariums justice.

The more I think of it the more I lean towards a seperate game for aquariums, ideally one that can combine with PZ if you own both. An aquarium dlc won't really do aquariums justice.
I don’t want a separate game for them and if they did I don’t think it will have a feature to have them both together. They didn’t do that with PC (even though that would’ve been my dream) so I don’t think they’ll do that here

I don’t want a separate game for them and if they did I don’t think it will have a feature to have them both together. They didn’t do that with PC (even though that would’ve been my dream) so I don’t think they’ll do that here
I know there's this disney thing in the US which combines a zoo with a theme park, but I don't really think it's a thing elsewhere. Compare that to aquariums, which are very commonly part of/connected to zoos. I agree it is not very likely, but it has better chance for connectivity than PC in my opinion.

I know there's this disney thing in the US which combines a zoo with a theme park, but I don't really think it's a thing elsewhere. Compare that to aquariums, which are very commonly part of/connected to zoos. I agree it is not very likely, but it has better chance for connectivity than PC in my opinion.
And SeaWorld. I've never been to that or the Disney World/Land whatever.

I'm hoping we do get a Planet Aquarium, which will have a focus on aquatic (who would've thought). Maybe they can bring some PZ animals here (seal and sea lion and penguins. Maybe the crocs and some bears). It would be so cool to see this kinda game

Well, it could be argued that we did not need another big cat (big as in size) in the NA pack in form of cougar, but it is so iconic that it simple had to be included. Could be the same with the Red Fox. In the end Frontier will decide that so the best we can do is to share our preferences.
Nah, I personally would've ditched the cougar for something else. a Canadian lynx or bobcat would be more distinct if you absolutely needed a cat for some reason (you don't). And frankly I'd do some even more extreme revisions of the game's current felid roster if given the opportunity.

Nah, I personally would've ditched the cougar for something else. a Canadian lynx or bobcat would be more distinct if you absolutely needed a cat for some reason (you don't). And frankly I'd do some even more extreme revisions of the game's current felid roster if given the opportunity.
No way can you have a NA pack without a cougar. It's like having a Europe pack without a red deer or Australia without the red kangaroo.

Pumas are iconic here. They serve as mascots for clothes, sports teams, they are protected in some areas. They have a huge range, the largest in the Americas. And don't forget those screams. Even other videogames use their sounds (like Bowser from Super Mario 64).

Plus, it gives us our 2nd "small cat" after the clouded leopard.

Now, that's not saying I don't want a lynx. I'd love a bobcat, they're beautiful. I saw one 3 times in East Texas, and he (or she) is a beaut. Plus, their low, deep sounds are so frightening

There’s:
Disney’ Animal Kingdom
Busch Garden Tampa Bay
Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Seaworld Orlando
Seaworld San Antonio
SeaWorld San Diego
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Six Flags Great Adventure
Dollywood
Columbus Zoo
EPCOT
Wild Adventures

Those are just the ones that come from the top of my head. Here is a full list of zoo/theme park hybrids across the world :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_theme_park

No way can you have a NA pack without a cougar. It's like having a Europe pack without a red deer or Australia without the red kangaroo.

Pumas are iconic here. They serve as mascots for clothes, sports teams, they are protected in some areas. They have a huge range, the largest in the Americas. And don't forget those screams. Even other videogames use their sounds (like Bowser from Super Mario 64).
You could say that virtually any animal has a significant cultural reference. Canada geese are plenty iconic and are widely recognized as a classic North American species. Does that mean Canada geese would be welcome additions? Depends on who you ask.
Also, I'm inclined to believe that Frontier will sadly not be recognizing the full range of cougars...
Plus, it gives us our 2nd "small cat" after the clouded leopard.
This makes me rather sad. We give these narrow groupings to canids and felids yet for reptiles they get grouped by their whole orders (ex. turtles, crocodilians, ratites), which is not a fair comparison at all...

While I do agree it’s ridiculous the hate bears and dogs get vs cats in PZ the lynx is unique as it’s a small cat. If we got the sloth bear or spectacled Bear or the maned Wolf or Bush dog and people hated it would be unreasonable. To me the lynx is the equivalent of those additions because their unique from what we have in game
I wouldn't mind less carnivorans in general. We already have more of them than ungulates at this point, which I think is quite bizarre.

This makes me rather sad. We give these narrow groupings to canids and felids yet for reptiles they get grouped by their whole orders (ex. turtles, crocodilians, ratites), which is not a fair comparison at all...
Marsupials and amphibians get similar treatment, invertebrates get it even worse. Taxonomic rank isn’t really the important criterion for inclusion though, since zoos are heavily skewed towards large mammals IRL too.

You could say that virtually any animal has a significant cultural reference. Canada geese are plenty iconic and are widely recognized as a classic North American species. Does that mean Canada geese would be welcome additions? Depends on who you ask.
oh yeah, because a zoonosis goose is a better option than a almost omnipresent big cat in the metas wishlist's

Marsupials and amphibians get similar treatment, invertebrates get it even worse. Taxonomic rank isn’t really the important criterion for inclusion though, since zoos are heavily skewed towards large mammals IRL too.
I would say taxonomic variety is important, as a game focusing on animals should reasonably be showing a good spectrum of biodiversity. Of course, the purview of the game naturally skews things towards amniotes. Though that is still perfectly workable for variety.

I would say taxonomic variety is important, as a game focusing on animals should reasonably be showing a good spectrum of biodiversity. Of course, the purview of the game naturally skews things towards amniotes. Though that is still perfectly workable for variety.
So while we don't need to focus on each and every genus, this weird focus on canines and ursines (and somewhat felines, which to their credit are more diverse as a group than the other two) is not representing of real life zoos.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom