Expansions: BGS Guide Best Current Thinking

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Yes. If it were the other way round the war would have prevented the expansion going pending.

Its good news if your early ticking systems are ones you want to expand from and annoying if they aren't

Invasion with Elections
System with 7 factions (pop. 100,000 - low traffic) ... we invaded because there is no other possibility ... therefore a system with 8.
Immediately we went into Pending Elections. The next day, active elections (both confederacy - independent)
We won the 7 days with few courier missions for sensitive poll data.
The losing faction was not expelled.
We did some missions and the next day (24 hours later), again Elections pending with another faction .... 24 hours later ... Active Elections.

Invasion with Elections
System with 7 factions (pop. 100,000 - low traffic) ... we invaded because there is no other possibility ... therefore a system with 8.
Immediately we went into Pending Elections. The next day, active elections (both confederacy - independent)
We won the 7 days with few courier missions for sensitive poll data.
The losing faction was not expelled.
We did some missions and the next day (24 hours later), again Elections pending with another faction .... 24 hours later ... Active Elections.

This matches my studies of invasion since 3.3 as well - it's no longer an automatic war, instead it checks ethos as usual - and the retreat of the loser is just broken.

A minor discovery today: the situation was finally right to check if expansion by invasion could enter a system which already had eight factions in it ... and the answer is No. Invasion only works on systems with exactly seven factions.

With "exactly" do you mean no less than 7 as well? I've got an expansion in a neighbor system with 5 factions only, including the invading faction. Strange enough, this happens in my absence (a few days I didn't care) and if there were any wars or elections at these days I wasn't involved. This is a very low frequency area and thus extremely unlike someone else is involved here, though I can't exclude this possibility with 100% certainty.
If it's less than 7 already there, then it's a normal expansion rather than an invasion - though you can still expand at an influence level that causes an immediate conflict, of course.

Our faction has an interesting situation. We expanded to a system that had 4 factions total and 0 were native to the system. We had seen a system like this before and none of the factions were able to be forced to retreat. It was like Fdev had just picked 4 already established factiobs from the region and made them local for the system.

Well in this second system we expanded too, we assumed the same scenario and just worked it normally. Before we realized what happened, the system ia down to two factions with our faction at 86% .....and is now in perpetual expansions mode. We're picking up a new systsm about...every 10 days i think. We're kinda curious how long this will go on.

Our faction has an interesting situation. We expanded to a system that had 4 factions total and 0 were native to the system. We had seen a system like this before and none of the factions were able to be forced to retreat. It was like Fdev had just picked 4 already established factiobs from the region and made them local for the system.

Well in this second system we expanded too, we assumed the same scenario and just worked it normally. Before we realized what happened, the system ia down to two factions with our faction at 86% .....and is now in perpetual expansions mode. We're picking up a new systsm about...every 10 days i think. We're kinda curious how long this will go on.

When Horizons launched, FD populated some systems with planetary-only settlements, and populated those systems with a random selection of neighbouring factions... e.g
COL 285 SECTOR AB-E C12-9, so that might explain what you're seeing there.

Can anyone tell me more details about how the timing for an Expansion is?
I mean, there are 5 days in pending and 5 days in expansion state and about 3 addtitional day colddown. That is ok.
But when is decided the destination system? Before the expansion, during pending, at fifth pending day?

And what kind of activities are recommended during the pending phase? Once you MF is in pending, this state will arrive or you have to keep your INF > 75% for this period?

Thank you.

Can anyone tell me more details about how the timing for an Expansion is?
I mean, there are 5 days in pending and 5 days in expansion state and about 3 addtitional day colddown. That is ok.
But when is decided the destination system? Before the expansion, during pending, at fifth pending day?

And what kind of activities are recommended during the pending phase? Once you MF is in pending, this state will arrive or you have to keep your INF > 75% for this period?

Thank you.
Destination is picked, as far as I can tell, on the final day when the faction populates. Only one or two of my predictions have been wrong, and that's because a faction has ninja'ed into the originally-determined system before it finished.

Once it's pending, that's it, just wait it out if you like.

Destination is picked, as far as I can tell, on the final day when the faction populates. Only one or two of my predictions have been wrong, and that's because a faction has ninja'ed into the originally-determined system before it finished.

Once it's pending, that's it, just wait it out if you like.
Thank you.

What do you mean with faction populates? You mean at the end of the fifth pending day? O the day you achieve the 75%? Or it means something different?

We are retreating a faction from the destination system and we want to be sure that the timing is correct to avoid that any other MF takes our place in this system.

Last edited:
We are retreating a faction from the destination system and we want to be sure that the timing is correct to avoid that any other MF takes our place in this system.
Ideally you would have the faction retreat the tick before your expansion completes (you may get away with it ending on the same tick as your expansion completes, or you may not, depending on the order those systems are processed in) - any further in advance gives a bigger window for others to expand.

Your faction destination is decided at the moment it actually expands, no earlier.

Ideally you would have the faction retreat the tick before your expansion completes (you may get away with it ending on the same tick as your expansion completes, or you may not, depending on the order those systems are processed in) - any further in advance gives a bigger window for others to expand.

Your faction destination is decided at the moment it actually expands, no earlier.
It means, from the moment you start in expansion as pending (>75%) until you need the MF retreat, you have 10 days, right?
Then, it is possible first to have initiate the expansion and then, force the retreat!.

It is hard to work in both topics at the same time.

Does anyone know how to control the duration of the expansion? I mean, we are working in a retreat parallel to the expansion, ans it only works if the expansion last 5 days.
Thanks

Top Bottom