Day 23 - 09.01.3307
WORLD OF DEATH (part 2)

So, a successfull touchdown and the ship is safely away.

8MEkhkm.png

Just over the horizon the flickering blue tail of the white dwarf's ejecta cone is constantly visible.

8MEkhkm.png

I spend the next half hour or so driving towards it, expecting the star itself to come bursting into the sky at any second (I've heard that when it happens it happens fast). I gather a few materials while I'm waiting but I'm constantly keeping an eye on that blue flickering tail. Is it me or is it definitely getting bigger?

AMs3nje.png

And then, while I'm driving towards it, vaguely looking for the ideal spot to film the star rise, I spot a signal in the scanner's upper band ... man made!

No prizes for guessing what knocked this out of the sky.

JMeVjoE.png

And yes, it makes the perfect perch to sit on while I wait for what should be the most spectacular star rise known to man. And speaking of star rises, here comes star B, slowly illuminating the landscape aound me ..

5oE5rAS.png

TGpeRWQ.png

hB0eXvp.png

nIh9fGa.png

.. until we basically have full daylight.

iUvPtlg.png

There's an odd sound now, the cone's tail gets higher and higher in the sky ..

OKUAqMG.png

.. and my bladder gets fuller and fuller!

GofUaTq.png

Finally I can bear it no longer. I reckon there's still plenty of time to go so I risk a quick visit to the john.

When I return (about one minute and thirty seconds later) this is the sight that greets me.

W5Rqtyf.png

A quick review of the video footage (yes, I did have the good sense to leave the camera rolling) reveals the following spectacular sequence (which I missed while peeing into a can in the back of the SRV).

qNEk08r.gif

Note in particular how the density of the star bends light around it so the first thing you see is the starfield above it compressing and then the distant orange band of the Milky Way bending upwards around the star as its brilliant white core finally comes into view.

With the white dwarf high in the sky now I'm snapping away every few seconds, it's just so spectacular!

vTnbe6y.png

nWwC3SY.png

JQx8a4V.png

lYNBUus.png

F2Viwa8.png

As the star starts to move away from me a few fairly unexpected things happen - the surface of the planet occasionally flickers into darkness again even tho' star B is still high in the sky, and rather than setting again the white dwarf's progress across the sky slows and then reverses (unless my memory is now failing me) and eventually sets back on the same horizon from which it rose ..

nn7yMKN.png

ajtUUB5.png

.. until, with a final bending of the Milky Way ..

EiV8Yr3.png

.. it's gone again leaving me perched on an egg in the dark dazzled by the astounding display I've just witnessed.

uh oh, not much of a secret now, hope this doesn't mean you will have to kill me 😃 Had I known that I would have flew a miner out instead of an explorer and given you a hand. Bright side is that I was hankering for some exploration.

What I really liked was ticking off another "I'd like to..." and getting to meet up with both Alec & Biff - that really is worth the trip out! (I dragged the carrier along but jumped the route)
Yea it was good timing as Alec was just getting off the surface.. I could still see the glow off the hull of his ship. I thought about sticking around and landing for my bucket list but like I said with all the neutrons around it only took four jumps to go the 600 ly to get there so I'll be back. I enjoy a little FC roulette but only with my explorer ship;)
I have a mining laser equipped so I may just drop you some trit for the lift before I head out.

Yea it was good timing as Alec was just getting off the surface.. I could still see the glow off the hull of his ship. I thought about sticking around and landing for my bucket list but like I said with all the neutrons around it only took four jumps to go the 600 ly to get there so I'll be back. I enjoy a little FC roulette but only with my explorer ship;)
I have a mining laser equipped so I may just drop you some trit for the lift before I head out.
I didn't realise you'd got back on, else would have given you a 'heads up' on destination. But it is a pretty spot to jump out from - had you been inconvenienced I'd have made the extra jump with the FC.

That is incredible Alec, you really weren't kidding about it being some of your best footage/shots!

As the star starts to move away from me a few fairly unexpected things happen - the surface of the planet occasionally flickers into darkness again even tho' star B is still high in the sky, and rather than setting again the white dwarf's progress across the sky slows and then reverses (unless my memory is now failing me) and eventually sets back on the same horizon from which it rose ..
Your vid and sun settings shots show it rising on your right, then setting on your left, unless shots are out of sync or you moved?

Also, I thought ED could only do a single star as a light source but both lit up the landscape there.

Amazing stuff!

Awesome, just awesome, great pictures.
Now I need to do some bounty hunting and wish I had my FDL or Corvette here with me but I guess Dragons Breath will have to do.

Your vid and sun settings shots show it rising on your right, then setting on your left, unless shots are out of sync or you moved?

Also, I thought ED could only do a single star as a light source but both lit up the landscape there.
I think I may well be confused about what actually happened. In truth RL kept getting in the way during the cone's fly-over so I was constantly rushing back to the screen, repositioning the camera and then rushing away again so it's entirely possible things got turned around. That said I did also fall off the probe egg at one point.

Did it hatch finally?
Sadly no ... I suspect being bathed in white dwarf ejecta radiation may well have cooked it.

Day 24 - 10.01.3307
FROM DEATH TO PESTILENCE

After the excitement of the day before this will be a fairly quick log entry. Having written up my notes from Saturday I'm now faced with the problem of how to time my departure from the World of Death so that I don't recall the ship straight into the star's exclusion zone or ejection cone. I have all sort of plans about using the ship's orrery map and working out timings based on orbital periods but when I settle in Cmdr RatKatcher hails me in comm's to say it's time to leave ... now (as he's just managed to do so himself), so I just say a quick prayer and recall the ship.

A rather undramatic end to the adventure! Anyway, from there RatKatcher invites me to join him at his fleet carrier and we also bump into Cmdr Biff Stryker. All in all a nice little reception committee, which I fail to photograph especially well.

mAFDXWD.png

RatKatcher offers me a ride on Pestilence (his FC) and since I have no other plans today I accept. It's parked in a terrific location.

0bipf7m.png

T Minus 15 mins until departure.

CeHXyeN.png

T minues 10 mins.

mQCJqIv.png

I settle in for the flight and check out the in-flight entertainment. Neutron Highway Run, bah ... I've seen this one before.

OfrKBe9.png

I guess I'll just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.

OK, let's take a quick look and see where we are now.

zu4mevO.png

Interesting. I thank my host for the ride and head out to explore this new region, settling down on a nearby planet a short while later.

5nSHwvl.png

That's about it for yesterday and today I'm having a lie in.

There's a Buckyball race on this week back in the bubble ("Sidewinder Fuel Finder") and that makes me think that tomorrow I might head back towards Colonia and start preparations for a crack at the Colonia Trophy Dash.

Last edited:
Dropped by on way back from Sag A. Colonia is even more of a trailor park than Sag A. I suspect Jameson will be like Butlins.

Makes the system map look busy, terrible to find the orbital/station on the nav panel.

Top Bottom