Graphics Mod to Remove Haze

Hi Muskoka. Reproduced below is the reply I received from the 3DMigoto dev. It's an educated guess, but good chance its on the money because I use the FD store version of ED and not encountering the problems you are.

Note the dev's suggestion that you use hunting=1 mode to find the like effect in your game and then compare the hash number with the one I have used. For example, you could use hunting to find the "vertical cruise lines" in your version of the game, save the shader and then compare the hash number the one I use in the d3dxi.ini file. If some or all of the hash numbers are different then you would have your answer, but not a solution. Of course, you could work through each the effects and amend the 3ddx.ini file to suite your version of the game. Long way around, but a solution. If you just want to find and disable the relevant shader for "hard mode", then may not take long at all.

Thanks for this. That's what cmdrrdmc had suggested, and it worked like a charm. Took about 5 seconds "hunting" to see which shader was used for the targeting circle, and it's info. Kinda figured "my" version of Elite was different in someway, it had to be seeing as the hard mode was not working.

There's been "update" issues with the launcher for Ed and Oculus, so I was thinking more along those lines, that maybe the Oculus version was "behind" in some way. The fact it's probably different, isn't surprising with all the different "viewing" options out there.

Nevertheless, it's working, I know how the "hunting" works, so I'm all set now. Thank you for following up on this.

Last edited:
So. Is this not working at all for Oculus users? Or is it only hard mode?

If it's not working at all I will have a look tonight and PM you the oculus hashes for you to share.

No, it's working, but the hash for the "hard mode" at my end is different from what was "supplied" in the d3dx.ini. I would think that "Oculus" users should be able to use the hash I posted in post #97 for "hard mode", but that's just an assumption, and guess on my part, who knows what Oculus have done.

The other hashes in the ini provided seem to be working fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the work on setting up this mod; I gave it a try last night and am quite happy with the results. I'm okay with the normal space dust and the SC vertical lines but not a fan of the in-station or planetary haze and the SC dust. The mod seems to work quite well and I don't see any negative impacts.

Wondering to myself though, if it's possible to remove certain elements from the HUD, is it possible to change the HUD colors using the same mod?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the work on setting up this mod; I gave it a try last night and am quite happy with the results. I'm okay with the normal space dust and the SC vertical lines but not a fan of the in-station or planetary haze and the SC dust. The mod seems to work quite well and I don't see any negative impacts.

Wondering to myself though, if it's possible to remove certain elements from the HUD, is it possible to change the HUD colors using the same mod?

Was slightly confused - seeing it had been updated expected everything to be in the first post, but worked through#24 & 36 and it’s working fine. Disabled everything but planet/station haze & canopy dust removal- Sooo nice to get rid of that hateful dust on the canopy! and really like to see the black being black, and station internals crisp again. Was slightly confused when npc in supercruise didn’t have the big ball of light, but quite like that too.

many thanks!

Was slightly confused - seeing it had been updated expected everything to be in the first post, but worked through#24 & 36 and it’s working fine. Disabled everything but planet/station haze & canopy dust removal- Sooo nice to get rid of that hateful dust on the canopy! and really like to see the black being black, and station internals crisp again. Was slightly confused when npc in supercruise didn’t have the big ball of light, but quite like that too.

many thanks!

I had forgotten about seeing the NPCs missing the bright ball of light, seems kind of weird to me. Is that a side effect of getting rid of the SC dust?

Would be difficult and is not needed as can change HUD colours easily in the config override file or using Dr Kaii's EDProfiler app.

So. Is this not working at all for Oculus users? Or is it only hard mode?

If it's not working at all I will have a look tonight and PM you the oculus hashes for you to share.

No, I'm using Oculus Rift and its fine. However, may be an issue with the ED version purchased through Oculus store as CMDR Muskoka bought ED from Oculus store and ran into a problem with some of the mod effects. Only a single report at this point, so jury is still out.

many thanks!

No problem.

What options are you using when the NPC "ball of light" goes? Hard mode? I'll have a look at this when reviewing the shaders.

As to other CMDRS, by all means report any "side" (unexpected) effects you notice and point out the mod options you were using at the time. I'm still reviewing and testing the mod effects so it all helps. At the very least, changes should documented so others know what to expect when using a mod. :)

Last edited:
Would be difficult and is not needed as can change HUD colours easily in the config override file or using Dr Kaii's EDProfiler app.

Yeah, I was just curious, I've played around with the matrix directly and Dr. Kaii's EDProfiler but I've never found a color scheme that I liked that also didn't alter other parts of the HUD in an undesirable way.

No problem.

What options are you using when the NPC "ball of light" goes? Hard mode? I'll have a look at this when reviewing the shaders.

As to other CMDRS, by all means report any "side" (unexpected) effects you notice and point out the mod options you were using at the time. I'm still reviewing and testing the mod effects so it all helps. At the very least, changes should documented so others know what to expect when using a mod. :)

I mentioned it in an earlier post but the cockpit un-dirtier removes some lighting effects, like the lens flare off neutron stars. I imagine the ball of light NPC thing is the same effect being removed. I also find it doesn't really un-dirty the cockpit that much. Still plenty of streaks if the light is hitting it.

I only have the "window cleaner" active, and I noticed the "ball of light" disappears too.

The window cleaner works very well when some distance from the star. Right next to it, it makes little difference, but even a few ls away, and the whitewash effect is much reduced. What used to happen was that as soon as even a very distant star cast light into the cockpit, it showed up the "shop closing down" whitewash as brightly as if you were next to the star. So no, it doesn't seem to remove it entirely, but it is a big improvement at least!

I mentioned it in an earlier post but the cockpit un-dirtier removes some lighting effects, like the lens flare off neutron stars. I imagine the ball of light NPC thing is the same effect being removed. I also find it doesn't really un-dirty the cockpit that much. Still plenty of streaks if the light is hitting it.

I agree. Testing a different shader ATM which I think will be better.

Been playing with shaders myself. Came up with a few interesting things. First off, the hash for the hard mode changed for me as well. It's the same as Muskoka's now, fa1882f467c6f826.
I did recently install the Oculus version so that might be it. So couple things I found:

(1) The hard mode setting does a lot to clean-up the cockpit window and make space blacker, BUT it removes the HUD (good if you want hard mode, not good if you just want a cleaner window). Well, turns out setting o0 = 0 in the shaderfixes file for the hard mode shader will remove the dirt AND keep the HUD. So all the visual benefits of hard mode without hard mode. Not sure why skipping it in d3dx.ini removes the HUD and doing it this way doesn't, but it's great for me!

(2) Shader 4db942934cad0b29 does a lot to make space even blacker, but it removed nebulas! I played around with the cached shader, just changing various lines and seeing what I could come up with. I came up with some modifications that reduce the white haze while keeping the nebulas. It does affect their appearance a bit and reduces their glow, but I prefer this. A comparison:

Before:
MCEnQR2.png

After:
EE9u9gr.png

I've attached both files if anyone wants to try. Just drop them into the ShaderFixes folder and make sure those hashes aren't skipped in d3dx.ini. Also, for me hard mode is fa1882f467c6f826. For you, it might be 74a61bc54382d4d9. Still not sure why the discrepancy all of a sudden. I've added some comments to the 4db... shader to indicate where I made the changes, and left the original lines commented out so you can see what I changed and maybe try your own tweaks.

edit: Oh and as always, the blackening of space is really only visible in VR. Those comparison shots don't do it justice. Edited dirty words from dash :p

Attachments

• 4db942934cad0b29-ps_replace.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 175
  • fa1882f467c6f826-ps_replace.txt
    5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
The hard mode setting does a lot to clean-up the cockpit window and make space blacker, BUT it removes the HUD (good if you want hard mode, not good if you just want a cleaner window). Well, turns out setting o0 = 0 in the shaderfixes file for the hard mode shader will remove the dirt AND keep the HUD. So all the visual benefits of hard mode without hard mode. Not sure why skipping it in d3dx.ini removes the HUD and doing it this way doesn't, but it's great for me!P

Could you post before and after screenies just using hard mode showing the differences in the HUD?

For me, skipping the shader referred to in the d3dx.ini file removes the "circles" (small and large), orbital lines and target squares and markers from external objects in space (like conflict zones, planets, ships, USS's, etc.). I suppose in a sense they are part of the HUD, but not static elements that make up the HUD.

In passing, I also checked for the NPC's signature (ball of light) when in super-cruise when in hard mode. Its still there, just need to be close to the ship.

Last edited:
Will do tomorrow. Bedtime soon. But yes, that's what enabling hard mode in d3dx.ini does for me as well. However, if you look carefully and toggle hard mode on and off, you'll notice it has other visual effects besides removing those circles, including removing a lot of haze from the cockpit. Disabling the same shader responsible for hard-mode using the txt file in ShaderFixes (with o0 = 0) rather than d3dx.ini retains the visual effects without removing the circles.

Last edited:
Will do tomorrow. Bedtime soon. But yes, that's what enabling hard mode in d3dx.ini does for me as well. However, if you look carefully and toggle hard mode on and off, you'll notice it has other visual effects besides removing those circles, including removing a lot of haze from the cockpit. Disabling the same shader responsible for hard-mode using the txt file in ShaderFixes (with o0 = 0) rather than d3dx.ini retains the visual effects without removing the circles.

Yes, hard mode affects other things, including an effect (not great) on lighting inside the cockpit and cleaning the window, but removing the circles is the main point of hard mode - otherwise not hard :)

This mod is not working to me. I've done exactly as the op said in the first post. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. The only thing I see different from the op is the path of my ed(EDlaunch.exe file) which is in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch".
In that path is where the 2 folders were added(i.e x32 and x64). I play horizons 64bit version. I took the latest d3dx.ini from post 36 and put in both the x32 and x64 folder. What am I doing wrong please?

Last edited:
Yes, hard mode affects other things, including an effect (not great) on lighting inside the cockpit and cleaning the window, but removing the circles is the main point of hard mode - otherwise not hard :)

For you perhaps ;) I just want the window cleaning effects. Real life is hard enough :p

This mod is not working to me. I've done exactly as the op said in the first post. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. The only thing I see different from the op is the path of my ed(EDlaunch.exe file) which is in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch".
In that path is where the 2 folders were added(i.e x32 and x64). I play horizons 64bit version. I took the latest d3dx.ini from post 36 and put in both the x32 and x64 folder. What am I doing wrong please?

You need to find where your game is installed, not where the launcher is installed (i.e. the path to EliteDangerous64.exe). You want to copy the files in the 3dmigoto x64 folder (not the folder itself, the files inside it) to wherever EliteDangerous64.exe is.

Top Bottom