Help me understand why I had to die

I'm happy to fly weak ships in open for one reason: I'M ONE OF THE FASTEST SHIPS ON THE BLOCK.

G5 dirty drag drives on everything.

Cobra Mk.III = 650
T6 = 580
Cutter = 510

A fully kitted combat ship is slower than I am, generally.

Cutter has the bonus of not being mass locked to jump (you however will mass lock them!).

Retract everything, pips, boost, jump. If the FSD is busted, wait for it to come back.

Chaff and ECM are musts.

Put point defence on the underside at a minimum, to protect from hatch breakers.

Put point defense all-round if you have slots.

Strong shields buy time but are not invincible. Pack armor and module reinforcements.

It's about buying time, nothing else.

I have chaff assigned to a dedicated key so I can hit it any time. I need to look more at ECM but it works against missiles and I think torps, too.

Last edited:
It also needs to be said that you died, in part, because Elite has no serious police/security force in the game. Say what you will about EvE's security, and you'll notice that CONCORD arrives fast, and handles the situation. That's not to say that people haven't found a way around it (suicide gankers, etc) but in high traffic areas, you're (relatively) safe. In Elite though, the ATR NPCs are a joke, the security arrives too little and too late, even in major traffic hubs. The game doesn't furnish players with tools to hunt down people either, which could be a great alternative. Sure we have some posts at stations, about "top five criminals in the system" but there is no way to really track them, the payouts are too low, and notoriety fades easily and can't just be cooled off in a couple hours of solo or PG play. So you had no NPC security help, no player help or recourse available, and were cannon fodder in a mining ship to begin with.

Probably best to post the build.

Bottom line, though, is that a ship built for anything other than combat is always going to be at a serious disadvantage to a ship built for PvP.

I've managed to locate other ships in a ring using the Mk1 eyeball.
Just drop out in a likely spot, fly away from the ring and you can see mining lasers from a looong way away (maybe 40-50km?).
Never underestimate the effort people will make to rain on somebody else's parade.

Unfortunately, mining is one of those things where I ask myself how valuable my time is before deciding whether or not to play in Open.
If I'm just playing around, Open is fine.
If I'm serious about raising some credits with a prolonged session of mining, I don't want to waste my time by becoming somebody else's entertainment so I stay out of Open.

Basically this^^^^
As has been posted there are PvP weapons specifically for the purpose of disabling your FSD and killing you before you can sneeze! They can use long range scanners and sit outside your range so you cannot see them unless you have long range scanners too. They can wait for you to fill up your ship before attacking as you leave the asteroid field for max salt.
If you are investing hours of game time, doing it in Open is a bad decision....

Last edited:
Basically this^^^^
As has been posted there are PvP weapons specifically for the purpose of disabling your FSD and killing you before you can sneeze! They can use long range scanners and sit outside your range so you cannot see them unless you have long range scanners too. They can wait for you to fill up your ship before attacking as you leave the asteroid field for max salt.
If you are investing hours of game time, doing it in Open is a bad decision....
The OP came up against the type of player who should just be avoided I agree, but there are plenty of bored miners out there who have said on the forums that they would welcome an encounter with a role play pirate that makes reasonable demands. It is also very unusual to be ganked in the rings in this way.

They can use long range scanners and sit outside your range so you cannot see them unless you have long range scanners too. They can wait for you to fill up your ship before attacking as you leave the asteroid field for max salt.

Kind of a disturbing thought, but a valid one.

The general concensus seems to be "How come somebody find me when I'd been there for hours so there was no low-wake to follow?" but it's entirely possible somebody with LR sensors DID follow the OP's low-wake and then just waited a while before attacking.
Sure, you'd think gankers would have better things to do but, when you see them doing something and then go back 6 hours later and find they're still doing the same thing, in the same place, you start to realise what you're up against.

Back when collecting junk from the crashed 'goid scout was a big earner, for example, I used to get my jollies by running the missions in a 900m/s Viper 3 (which allowed me to collect the stuff without landing, due to it's shape) and it never ceased to amaze me how often there'd be gankers who were quite happy to spend all day parked on the surface, waiting for people to show up.

Kind of a disturbing thought, but a valid one.

The general concensus seems to be "How come somebody find me when I'd been there for hours so there was no low-wake to follow?" but it's entirely possible somebody with LR sensors DID follow the OP's low-wake and then just waited a while before attacking.
Sure, you'd think gankers would have better things to do but, when you see them doing something and then go back 6 hours later and find they're still doing the same thing, in the same place, you start to realise what you're up against.

Back when collecting junk from the crashed 'goid scout was a big earner, for example, I used to get my jollies by running the missions in a 900m/s Viper 3 (which allowed me to collect the stuff without landing, due to it's shape) and it never ceased to amaze me how often there'd be gankers who were quite happy to spend all day parked on the surface, waiting for people to show up.
We are indeed hunter/gatherers in our origins, I myself enjoy the hunt, although I’m not interested in the kill at the end, and real life doesn’t allow me to sit in the game for hours either.
However I am convinced that a miner in a cutter with decent awareness should have nothing to fear, except the annoyance of having to high wake out on rare occasions.

@Cortano one i want to answer a couple of your questions.

1. I found you because you dropped too close to the Painite Hot Spot (many cmdrs make this mistake), i saw the bandwidth meter and that you were in instance. You will show that way upto 80Km from the attacker. it is a simple task to sweep round the hotspot in ever increasing arcs till you get radar signal or sight of the player.

2. The weapon of choice were overcharged pacifiers with Screening Shell experimental, an imp hammer with long range and feedback mods, and the deal breaker was the grom bomb. thats over 1000 DPs (admittedly only deliverable every 2.5 seconds.

3. How could you have avoided this situation? You dropped way too close to the hotspot, try a couple of hundred km at least. Use the bandwidth meter and contacts tabs if you are in open to see if there are players in your instance (ctrl + b for bandwidth meter) keep your wits about you. your ship was more solid than a lot of the ships i have seen there so you are on the right path there. I have a recording of the instance if you would like me to upload it and send you a link.

none of this is me bragging or trying to belittle you, i am taking the time to answer your questions as concisely and accurately as i can, so that you can learn how to protect yourself better. I undoubtedly will get some flak but i do not care about that. I appreciate your attitude and your willingness to learn.

Last edited:

1. I found you because you dropped too close to the Painite Hot Spot (many cmdrs make this mistake), i saw the bandwidth meter and that you were in instance. You will show that way upto 80Km from the attacker. it is a simple task to sweep round the hotspot in ever increasing arcs till you get radar signal or sight of the player.

2. The weapon of choice were overcharged pacifiers with Screening Shell experimental, an imp hammer with long range and feedback mods, and the deal breaker was the grom bomb. thats over 1000 DPs (admittedly only deliverable every 2.3 seconds.

3. How could you have avoided this situation? You dropped way too close to the hotspot, try a couple of hundred km at least. Use the bandwidth meter and contacts tabs if you are in open to see if there are players in your instance (ctrl + b for bandwidth meter) keep your wits about you. your ship was more solid than a lot of the ships i have seen there so you are on the right path there. I have a recording of the instance if you would like me to upload it and send you a link.

none of this is me bragging or trying to belittle you, i am taking the time to answer your questions as concisely and accurately as i can, so that you can learn how to protect yourself better. I undoubtedly will get some flak but i do not care about that. I appreciate your attitude and your willingness to learn.
Why am I not surprised. By both it was you and how you described the situation 😁

Option 1
tank.png

Option 2
Roadrunner.jpg

I was really wondering about that one. Glad you explained it.

Knew it would be because of the Bandwith meter. (admittedly because of the pantie HotSpot range aswell)
Stupid thing needs to be added into the UI and explained to players in a tutorial.
For example make the Signature bar which is above the Fuel bar in the HUD, flash red when the bandwidth indicates a possible threat with a small beep beep beep once.
And have it built into a toggle. As its basically being used as a "Cmdr Scanner" make it known to all players and part of the game.

I don’t tend to play in Open so I won’t try to make suggestions but, as others have said, if a PvP ship wants to take out a PvE mining ship then, as I understand it, there’s essentially not much you can do about it. I’ve heard running and dropping lots mines can work?

Shotgun? Could have been loaded with Frag Cannons which will melt most things at close range. If you were hit by a salvo of Reverb Torps those would have knocked out your shields first.

The OP built his ship ok tbh his only failing was not checking his surroundings. and not all gankers have groms (but now you know i do). Trust me when i say plenty get away. and those that survive get my respect. Those that die and come back with this kind of attitude get my respect. Those that come crying about dying in paper ships in open play in an anarchy system well they get what they deserve.

We dont get a bandwidth meter on XB, presumably same on PS, I dont miss the feature tbh. Cancels itself out anyway, in above described they couldnt find me and I wouldnt know they were there either.

People seem to forget OP was afk on Inara. Yes self-awareness, scanner, radar etc etc but OP wasnt even looking at screen. Lesson is, dont look away from the screen (i did exactly the same with a load of VOs came back to a rebuy, lesson learned :) )

Any chance you will post your build @Albino Sanchez ? No problem if not but I would be interested.

Stupid thing needs to be added into the UI and explained to players in a tutorial.
For example make the Signature bar which is above the Fuel bar in the HUD, flash red when the bandwidth indicates a possible threat with a small beep beep beep once.
And have it built into a toggle. As its basically being used as a "Cmdr Scanner" make it known to all players and part of the game.

a very good idea that frontier will likely never even consider.

Top Bottom