How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

I have also seen the face in the target projection. It was like I had been prank hacked by a Sontaran.

I've also seen it as the background to the local star system - usually when it appears I can no longer use the local map and have to restart the client.

On a side note (Just an FYI not looking for Mint Support here ) -
Occasionally in Linux Mint I get an effect where everything ( particularly text on icons and top panel etc ) becomes extremely anti-aliased / out of focus and then flicks between sharp and clear and very fuzzy.

If this is going on, my experience is that the game will load but will crash very quickly once you are in your ship.
Only rebooting to clear the fuzziness will allow the game to run correctly.

This seems to be a Mint specific issue and may be something to do with the Cinnamon desktop.
The effect happens with different driver versions so I'm reluctant to say it's a driver issue.
The effect does not happen in Windows so I'm reluctant to say it's a hardware issue.

This seems to be a Mint specific issue and may be something to do with the Cinnamon desktop.

I was finding a full desktop environment a bit much considering I was gaming in fullscreen anyway, so I set up a second login just for games that uses openbox, might be worth a shot (added bonus, it would prove the hypothesis that cinnamon is implicated).

sounds like Cinnamon's GL compositing is flipping out. Of all the desktops available for Linux, Cinnamon has the distinct honor of being the current prettiest, but also the least mature. Only in the last year or so has it even been stable enough (for me) to use as a regular desktop. I've mostly been using XFCE for my gaming rig, which is the right balance of lightweight-yet-functional. On every other machine i use cinnamon though.

US$0.02++

I was finding a full desktop environment a bit much considering I was gaming in fullscreen anyway, so I set up a second login just for games that uses openbox, might be worth a shot (added bonus, it would prove the hypothesis that cinnamon is implicated).

I run dual monitors and run the game in borderless window. I like to have a browser open on the right hand monitor for forums, web pages or even netflix if i'm just exploring ( as I often am ) and right at the moment Italian practice.

I was considering using XFCE as a lightweight but full featured desktop.

sounds like Cinnamon's GL compositing is flipping out. Of all the desktops available for Linux, Cinnamon has the distinct honor of being the current prettiest, but also the least mature. Only in the last year or so has it even been stable enough (for me) to use as a regular desktop. I've mostly been using XFCE for my gaming rig, which is the right balance of lightweight-yet-functional. On every other machine i use cinnamon though.

US$0.02++

XFCE it is!

I recently switched to MATE desktop, no compositing, have had no issues. Was running KDE Plasma for a while, with compositing, and still didn't have issues, but, KDE Plasma is quite hefty and I don't need all the extra cruft which comes with it.

XFCE was something I used quite extensively for years and it's great. Might install it on this recently-installed Arch system (switched to Arch from Debian).

Another one of XFCE's strengths is its awesome plethora of panel applets. In fact, even though I use Cinnamon on all my other machines, i still use a little xfce4-panel on the screen somewhere for some of the things i like that xfce does. but i'm a huge desktop nerd, so 🤷‍♂️

I also, use mate. It's the only one with properly working features like the power settings working correctly in fedora or some other god aweful problem that makes it virtually unusable. It's the only one close to stable for me atm.

Most Linux desktops have HORRIBLE defaults. If any desktop will do power management correctly, it means the hardware is fine, and the other desktops are just setting bad defaults. The Power Manager app for a lot of desktops (especially on notebooks) have the lid closure set to "lock screen" instead of "suspend" or "hibernate" by default for some crazy reason! Switching any desktop I'm using to proper values is one of the first activities I wind up doing after installing a new desktop. It only needs to be done once, but it's annoying. ..anyway, i rant!

A strange thing happened to me yesterday on my way back from the Pleiades. I decided to drop in at a small outpost in some random star system and, when I exited supercruise things weren't quite right. The left-hand hologram that normally displays a graphical representation of the station/outpost was replaced by a bitmap that distinctly looked like a face. A face flattened out as though a rolling pin had been used on it. The colors were still the same as the normal hologram colors but I could definitely makes out eyes, nose, mouth and ears. As I approached the outpost the hologram changed slightly. Still a face but someone else's face. When I hovered over the landing pad the hologram was replaced by the normal station hologram but the center hologram that would normally display the ship in relationship to the landing pad was now replaced by that same haunting face.

I should have taken a screenshot. Anyone else seen anything similar?

This was after about two hours of playing the game. The only other times that I've seen any major graphical glitches has been while exploring and using the FSS. Sometimes when signal sources are really far away and crowded together the entire FSS user interface goes askew and quickly flattens into single vertical line forcing me to exist FSS mode. The fix on that appears to simply be moving closer to the target and then reactivating the FSS.

It's not flattened. I just ran into it. And mysteriously I took lots of screenshots to post. But the folder never contained them. It also lags my game to death.. it seems to disable the screenshot function. So, either some odd glitch or some weird group resistant from of in game clue...

The image is actually an image of two faces shoved together that when looked at from the front in the middle look like a face in the middle. It also looks like a face from the inside.

It's a visual image like how you take two vases and it looks like faces. But it's weird and has alot more too it. Plus it flashes demonstrating something else there like layers.

It's not flattened. I just ran into it. And mysteriously I took lots of screenshots to post. But the folder never contained them. It also lags my game to death.. it seems to disable the screenshot function. So, either some odd glitch or some weird group resistant from of in game clue...

The image is actually an image of two faces shoved together that when looked at from the front in the middle look like a face in the middle. It also looks like a face from the inside.

It's a visual image like how you take two vases and it looks like faces. But it's weird and has alot more too it. Plus it flashes demonstrating something else there like layers.

I thought it was the texture for a face unwrapped to it's square bitmap and then erroneously piped to the scanner.

Mine was from a single system and all of the tourist beacons were producing this image and alot of lag. I have no idea how hardware works so I wouldn't know. Why would we geta face image for an in game visual in that location though. It would almost be more interesting if it wasn't a glitch. 8)

Mine was from a single system and all of the tourist beacons were producing this image and alot of lag. I have no idea how hardware works so I wouldn't know. Why would we geta face image for an in game visual in that location though. It would almost be more interesting if it wasn't a glitch. 8)

It's the proverbial ghost in the machine.

I wonder if that bitmap shows the art they are using. Maybe the art all has layered designs that are for fun or multi useful for other things. Could show something about how the art team designs things. If that is the beacon bitmap and data just messed up that would be interesting. Maybe it's taken from or related to the face designing parts of the game.

The image had clearly oriented ears. They were very white while the eyes and other things were of different shades. All black to white.

Stuff like that that disables screenshots and has deep inbeded knowledge to decipher could be cool for an actual dark wheel thing where you have to be able to figure it out.

Which system and station is this happening in?

Top Bottom