How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

I'm not sure if these aren't the same thing, but I'm reffering to and using the RPMfusion version from fedoras software gui program. Is there a way to install an up to date version via that? Or do you have to use the old intall method where you remove x and blacklist noveau and whatnot?

I realised what you meant after I took a guess, hence the Jon Snow edit. I left original reply for amusement, but I'm no use to you on that one.

Having success with EDMC here, it runs fine from source outside wine, is able to read all the journals and stuff once pointed to their location. The only problem for me right now is that I cannot authentificate EDMC with Frontier acc due to the frontier website erroring out for some obscure reason. Other than that it seems to work

EDIT: One thing though, the window EDMC creates is really stubborn to do anything, no moving or minimising or whatever. Shame. Especially when the settings window pops up half outside the screen
The latest release of EDMC installs and runs under Wine.
There's also some improvements to usability when running from source, and you no longer need to obtain a CLIENT_ID to be able to login for cAPI data.

Just wondering if I can use the existing installation on my apps drive that Windows uses? Or do I have to install completely again? Thanks.

I had success using my Windows install - but I only tried the once and it was a while ago - so things might have changed. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work though.

Just wondering if I can use the existing installation on my apps drive that Windows uses? Or do I have to install completely again? Thanks.
The easiest method is a fresh install from the Linux Steam client. There's a link with instructions in the first post.

The easiest method is a fresh install from the Linux Steam client. There's a link with instructions in the first post.
Yeah I know but I have a tiny 10GB Free partition used by my Xubuntu, so I would have to Shrink more space on my main gaming ssd to increase the partition for another full install of ED.

For those still following along: there was a patch added to Proton 4.2-8 that means vcrun2015 is no longer required. This means the only non-open source item required to run ED is dotnet40. dotnet40 contains WPF - which is required for the ED launcher.

The plan for replacing dotnet40 is to port the WPF component of .NET Core (which is open source) to wine-mono (wine-mono is these days being included in Proton).

The WineHQ bug for tracking this is:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24501#c18

The latest update being that .NET Core WPF is still missing a required component: wpfgfx. So we're waiting for Microsoft to release the code for this. You can follow Microsoft's progress here:
https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/blob/master/roadmap.md#porting-status

For those still following along: there was a patch added to Proton 4.2-8 that means vcrun2015 is no longer required. This means the only non-open source item required to run ED is dotnet40. dotnet40 contains WPF - which is required for the ED launcher.
There is one other non-open source piece of Software required to run Elite Dangerous:
Elite Dangerous.
;)
I doubt anyone trying to play Elite Dangerous on Linux in a true 100% Open Source Software purist. The real benefit to us here is that it should simplify running Elite on Linux as there will be fewer "hoops" to jump through. So, yeah. This is really good news!

Yeah I know but I have a tiny 10GB Free partition used by my Xubuntu, so I would have to Shrink more space on my main gaming ssd to increase the partition for another full install of ED.
Noted. I completely understand. One of the hazards of dual booting is some of the compromises you end up having to make (in this case having to devote only a sliver of storage to Linux because Windows demands so much.

I imagine the reason ED runs on PlayStation is because Frontier ported it to do so (i.e. changed the Microsoft API calls in their application to Sony API calls).

On Linux, we run the Windows version of ED. So we use Microsoft products (like .NET) and make use of Wine to provide a Microsoft compatibility layer (i.e. convert Microsoft API calls to GNU/Linux API calls).

So, after pages and pages and pages of how to get Elite to run on Linux, can I ask a stupid question please?

I'll ask anyway.

If you need some version of Windows, with Microsoft .net and DX along with Wine to make Elite run on distros of linux, then how come Sony, using the PS4, which runs Orbis, a fork of linux can make it run without .net and DX or Wine?

The native operating system of the PlayStation 4 is Orbis OS, which is a fork of FreeBSD version 9.0 which was released on 12 January 2012.

Elite also seems to be running on Vulcan, if it is running on a fork of FreeBSD.

Would not installing FreeBSD 9.0 and tweaking it make Elite run native on Linux?

I just have a hard time believing Sony runs Orbis with Wine?

Forgive me for being naive!
For one ... PS4 uses a custom chipset, not x86 compatible. You'd have to convince frontier to compile a version of Elite Dangerous that would run on an x86 build of FreeBSD.

And remember ... the BSD license allows Sony to make all kinds of closed source modifications to FreeBSD. It is highly unlikely that the FreeBSD you would be running on your PC would be anywhere near compatible with a PS4. Citrix NetScalers are also built on FreeBSD but I guarantee you a NetScaler is a very different beast compared to anything running on a home PC.

Just as a PSA. wine-staging-4.11 on my Arch Linux installation seems to have broken the ED Launcher. The game selection menu/PLAY section did not appear.

After downgrading back to wine-staging-4.10, the launcher behaves as expected. I have no idea what in *4.11 was breaking and I don't have the time to investigate. Just thought I'd mention it to others here just in case.

Rgds. o7

So I tried running ED directly from my apps drive and this is what I got:
WINEPREFIX=</home/mrtea/ED_pfx> wine64-development EDLaunch.exe /novr
Fatal Python error: _PySys_BeginInit: <stdin> is a directory, cannot continue

Forgive me for being naive!
The PlayStation OS is based on FreeBSD; the actual API game developers use has little in common with Unix.

The PlayStation graphics API has nothing to do with Vulcan.

Having said that, the mere fact that Elite has been ported to other platforms indicates that the Cobra engine is reasonably flexible, and, after adding one platform, it becomes easier to add more as any platform-specific code should have been encapsulated by now.

It's just a commercial decision by FDev really. Same reason they stopped support for MacOS - too much effort for too little return.

Think I got close but no cigar:
WINEPREFIX=/home/mrtea/ED_pfx wine64-development /media/dubs/APPS/GAMES/Elite\ Dangerous/EDLaunch.exe
wine: '/home/mrtea/ED_pfx' is a 32-bit installation, it cannot support 64-bit applications.

Got past that error, uninstalled wine and installed wine dev. Now I get a pop up error saying Could not load file or assembly system.web.extensions ?

Top Bottom