how will space legs handle deaths

5. Pilots Federation have the time stone, after the player / thargoid has finished tea bagging our head, someone with the stone points at our freshly brewed head and rewinds and we get another go at it!
Funny but not applicable since the time in the galaxy is fixed by the server and synchronized for all players (that's why we can't accelerate the time in supercruise)

You're in open. You land on a planet, drop the srv and you reach an outpost where you need to sneak inside. Inside there is another player that shoots and kills you.
Now we need to find answers to these questions:

What happen to your body now? Can the other player loot your body or will it will disappear?
Will you respawn in the SRV because it was the last vehicle?
Will you respawn to the ship?
If you respawn to the ship is the SRV still parked outside the outpost or is it autonomous and it can go back to the ship when you're killed?
If the SRV comes back does it magically respawn in the hangar bay or is it controlled by AI?

Few options here:
  1. Sci-Fi hard core: We're all clones, the ship has a medical room that when you're dead it generates another clone. So you respawn in the medical room of your ship, your SRV stays where it was but you can recall it (AI tech). You can go where you've been killed and see your previous body and take back you rinventory if no one came first.
  2. Sci-Fi High Tech: when your life parameters go below a certain value your remlok suit go into protection mode and create a shell. Your inventory is left outside of the shell. The shell is teleported in the ship medical room where you respawn. The SRV is recalled in the ship so it disappears from its current location and respawn in the ship
  3. James Cameron Sci-Fi: we don't walk with our bodies but with avatars (like the movie) that have our same appearance but are stronger to stand to more aggressive environments and they are controlled with telepresence. Our physical body remains in the SRV all the time. The SRV can generate a limited number of avatars. Once the SRV boards to the ship the avatars counter reset and you can generate more. Instead you can walk with your real body inside the ship and in the stations where nothing can kill you.
  4. Gamey/Arcade: Like in NMS a grave remains in the place to be looted and you respawn in the SRV.

Is there a reason half the thread are posts that are describing "Battlefield Elite: Dangerous"?

Seems more likely that if spacewalk makes it into the core gameplay mechanics, it would be used for resource gathering, data retrieval, research or exploration and that any added elements (like combat) would be like what we see in the SRV-sections, extremely simplified barebone mechanics.

Last edited:
So if space legs is going to bring base building, first person shooting and theft of ships how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.

Special guardian technology that can back up a brain and respawn you in a cloned body. :poop:

First of all, I doubt that is a direction an Elite game would ever take, secondly the game engine doesn't seem anywhere near the ability to support such mechanics.

Seems more likely that if spacewalk makes it into the core gameplay mechanics, it would be used for resource gathering, data retrieval, research or exploration and that any added elements (like combat) would be like what we see in the SRV-sections, extremely simplified barebone mechanics. And the latter depends on such things even being included, which I doubt.
You may not have heard - fdev are working on a new paid update to the game that will take 18 months to deliver (late 2020 is the plan). So plenty of time to implement the Legs Of War. Plus there will be actual Thargoids (not just the ships we have now. OA told us and we trust him.). I doubt the plan is for a simple firm handshake as they walk skitter on by.

Our RemLock suit will be equipable with a personal prismatic shield and SRPs (suit reinforcement modules), and you'll be able to engineer it as well. No need to die, you just need to 'git gud'.

LOL.

Now I wonder if it'll have a micro-limpet system requiring 100 different controllers. Get Thargoid acid on your suit and you'll have to deploy a micro decon limpet to survive! :eek:

Now I wonder if it'll have a micro-limpet system requiring 100 different controllers. Get Thargoid acid on your suit and you'll have to deploy a micro decon limpet to survive! :eek:
Alternatively you go silent running (it means you need to physically run without making noise) and burn your body to remove the acid.

5 pages in and we still dont know the cost of re-stocking the coffee machine and now theres more questions like how many thargoids can dance on an Anaconda and will there be Decaf coffeee or Vanilla chai latte with skinny milk and double shot!!!!

giphy.gif

I'm going to be a trader when space legs comes out. Sell coffee to thargoids for engineering resources, invite sentinels round and sell them coffee too.

Also, the real way we survive our ship exploding is unlimited range teleportation from that new star trek film, plus the overpowered healing blood.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I'm going to be a trader when space legs comes out. Sell coffee to thargoids for engineering resources, invite sentinels round and sell them coffee too.

Also, the real way we survive our ship exploding is unlimited range teleportation from that new star trek film, plus the overpowered healing blood.
Which is all well and good until one realises that, to Thargoids, coffee is a proscribed narcotic and their equivalent of the DEA will be on your tail! ;)

Your concerns are very confusing to me.
You know that violence is a second nature for us humans, intrinsic to our beings. You can blame evolution for that.

When you blow up pirate ships you are sending then to a brief fiery-then-extreme descompressive death, you can even read their death cries on the chat.

And lets not even speak of some of the most darker galnet articles or delerict generation ships stories.

While i agree that some people are more averse to violence for a myriad of reasons, weapons and combat is a must to set the tone of the darker sci-fi future Frontier wants to make.
Lmao okay Mister Grim

dxm55

Banned
Some people don't want space legs. Solutions:
1. Head mounted space-ship shaped cardboard boxes (available for £5.99 from the FD store). Gives you the impression of still being in your ship whilst enjoying leg based content
2. Don't leave your ship

On balance, option 2 would seem the most efficient.

Actually I don't think those people don't want space legs.

They just don't want space legs to take priority over the space ship aspect of the game.
Personally, I prefer atmo planets to be done first before they even spend time on a FP mode.
Because Elite is, as defined in the game description in various media, a "Space Flight Simulation Game".

https://www.elitedangerous.com/
"TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR OWN STARSHIP IN A DANGEROUS GALAXY "
"SHIPS
TAKE TO THE STARS"

They said it themselves....

So, do the main thing right, and complete it before straying off on extraneous stuff.

Some people don't want space legs. Solutions:
1. Head mounted space-ship shaped cardboard boxes (available for £5.99 from the FD store). Gives you the impression of still being in your ship whilst enjoying leg based content
2. Don't leave your ship

On balance, option 2 would seem the most efficient.
The next DLC is optional, so if it's about legs people not interested in it can simply save their money.

Actually I don't think those people don't want space legs.

They just don't want space legs to take priority over the space ship aspect of the game.
Personally, I prefer atmo planets to be done first before they even spend time on a FP mode.
Because Elite is, as defined in the game description in various media, a "Space Flight Simulation Game".

I agree with you but I'm afraight that FDEV will always give priority to the "pew pew" part of the game and legs will allow them to create a lot of pew pew with very low effort (once legs are in the game).

dxm55

Banned
I agree with you but I'm afraight that FDEV will always give priority to the "pew pew" part of the game and legs will allow them to create a lot of pew pew with very low effort (once legs are in the game).

IKR?

Even Star Citizen's FP mode is pew-pewish.
If you do FP mode in a more Star Trekish like away-team type of thing, I foresee it getting very dull very fast.
You run around and hit a generic "interact" button just to
  • Activate a panel
  • Pick up an object
  • Decode a Guardian artefact

It WILL get dull very fast. To make things like these interesting, you will have to figure out so many gameplay mechanics to spice up FP mode.
And that is where scope or feature creep will begin settling in, and the game will lose its focus and become another halfway nowhere product.

Top Bottom