The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Yes, I had to zoom out a bit to get the parent star into the upper right corner, which does funky things to the perspective.

Maybe this would have been a less confusing shot. I had a hard time getting an image that has a decent perspective but also shows off the size of the outer rings, which this doesn't really do.

EKmdGJG.jpg

Name:Murphy's paradox
Game map search ref:Pyrivo WK-T B22-3 5 A
Description:Found during the Distant Worlds 2 expedition, this system has been named Murphy's Paradox for two very distinct reasons:
  • The system is located 52.56 Ly from the Fly Trap planetary nebula
  • The distance of the moon to its parent body is a physical impossibility
Murphy's law dictates that whatever can happen, will happen (In this case, this potential point of interest being so close to another). However, the moon that makes this system so interesting is well within the Roche limit, meaning it should have been ripped apart by tidal forces long ago, and assimilated into the gas giant's ring system. In fact, it's so close you can see individual asteroids orbiting within the ring.
Screenshot reference:
FVSe3ge.png
jqYJqyl.png
OlmzSco.png
6YkhNl1.png

It should be noted that this system itself was first discovered by Commander -Themisto-, but the planetary body was not mapped, giving the impression that he did not stick around in the system long enough to discover this unique body. Therefore, it would be prudent to contact him/her to notify him of this entry for credit given where credit is due.

Last edited:
Entries for already existing POIs and discovered places:

Beacon Of The Galaxy

Hypiae Ausms AA-A h321

The system contains 3 pairs of O-type stars which is the absolute record in the explored space. Four of stars are located close to each other 18 000 light seconds from the exit point. The main body of the system is a immense star of 70 solar masses, accompanied by much smaller neighbour. The former one is so large that it can be perfectly observed even being near the farthest two pairs.

20190506211022_1.jpg 20190506211735_1.jpg 20190506213319_1.jpg

Boiling Cauldron Nebula

Stuemiae BB-O e6-61

Fun fact: form certain angles the nubula quite resembles letter "h" with some kind of curl of the upper part of the letter`s left stick.

20190505234633_1.jpg

Peaks Of Glacial Rivers

The same 7 A planet also has some strange mountains rising from the surface which are located in several parts of the planet between the ravines of "glacial rivers". Their heights fluctuate between 20-40 kilometers, though most of the mountains are very steep to climb, with summits to small to land, so getting to the peaks becomes a real challenge.

20190502004942_1.jpg 20190502005158_1.jpg

Last edited:
My own discoveries:

Abzû

Phroi Bluae FG-Y G0

The system hosts 5 water worlds of various atmospheres and sizes: two of them are in pair with other planets, another two orbit around T Tauri stars and the last one flies in triad with two class II gas giants. There are also 3 tiny gas giants with water-based life having from 7 to 23 earth masses and 3 paired brown dwarfs that are located on the farther orbit. In addition, the main body of the system is a Herbig Ae/Be star, which is an interesting object itself. According to the historic notes, in the Sumerian mythology Abzû is an ocean located deep underground the planet, which has some similarities with the system located deep in the galaxy. A more extensive research also indicates a video game from 21st century that had a similar name.

20190430232538_1.jpg 20190430234417_1.jpg 20190430234417_1.jpg 20190430234902_1.jpg 20190430235515_1.jpg 20190510004518_1.jpg

Aruna's Sanctum

Dryio Bloo SJ-Z E2224

The system contains a neutron star which is orbited only by 2 water worlds. And though WWs around neutron stars are not really rare, a system with 2 lone water worlds is something you do not usually encounter. The name refers to Aruna who was a sea and ocean god in the Hittite mythology.

20190505225425_1.jpg

Crimson Jellyfish Nebula

Hypou Briae MM-W D1-5951

A nice looking dark red nebula. Though it does not contain any special sites or systems, it lies on the way from Sagittarius to Beagle Point and resembles some kind of tiny crimson jellyfish, thus may be found interesting for taking photos nearby.

20190504013523_1.jpg

Legacy Of G. K. Gilbert

Hypuae Briae YP-F D11-2510

Planet 1 D contains several white-surfaced cavities which look like dried salt lakes. The biggest one is located at -17.25 -45.55 coordinates and can be observed from orbit during approaching. Due to the position of the planet, a visitor can usually witness some astonishing views of gas giant and another moon in the sky. Pale blue light of a neutron star also enhances the atmosphere of the place.

In addition, the planet is actually a planetoid that has some angled plains on which pilots can have fun with tricky gravity that pulls them to the mass center of the planet rather than perpendicular to the surface. Video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQRYAS3aWwY

The name refers to Grove Karl Gilbert who was a geologist of the 19th century. He also was the one who suggested naming a famous salt plain in North America after Benjamin Louis Eulalie de Bonneville.

20190501220757_1.jpg 20190501221229_1.jpg 20190501230548_1.jpg

Song Of Land And Ocean

Eoch Blou PM-V D2-3750

System hosts 2 water worlds and 2 earth-like worlds. Three of these planets create a gorgeous triad containing two earth-like worlds and one water world. Another water world orbits the second star which is located 25 000 light seconds from the entry point.

20190505215101_1.jpg 20190505215304_1.jpg

Children Of Dust

A cluster of 3 planetary nebulas: one consists of two blue expanding spheres and other two are pink-violet clouds. At first glance they can seem pretty usual but the strange thing is that they are about 3 times smaller than their common versions, which makes them only tiny spots in the sky even from 1.5-3 light year distance. Considering this fact, the nebulas can be a potential interesting spot for visitors.

Full list:

Brairoa WO-A E6616
Umbaist AB-O E6-9594
Umbaist TZ-P E5-1758

20190504233732_1.jpg 20190505003151_1.jpg 20190505010602_1.jpg 20190509222958_1.jpg 20190509223444_1.jpg 20190509223509_1.jpg

P.S. Well, they are not actually spots in the sky but compared to the usual planetaries, which obscure half of the sky, these are really tiny.

Name:Jackson's Blue Light
Game map search ref:
Dryiqeau OZ-O e6-5

Description:Small Blue Planetary Nebula located in The Veils sector of the galaxy, contains a Neutron star and several landable bodies.
Screenshot reference:

Name:Rooftop Garden
Game map search ref:PHOI AUG TD-F C13-5
Description:Located high above the Galactic Plain, on the 5th Planet in the system, you will find several fields of green Sinuous Tubers.
Screenshot reference:

A comprehensive catalog of planetary nebulae is something that I think the community would really enjoy, since this seems to come up quite a bit. I wonder if Anthor would be opposed to adding a separate map layer/category for those on EDSM, administered independently from the GMP. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to detect them automatically in the journals, which would be needed for automatically populating it. Also, I'm not sure who should maintain it. I'm not volunteering here, just suggesting some options. ;)

A comprehensive catalog of planetary nebulae is something that I think the community would really enjoy, since this seems to come up quite a bit. I wonder if Anthor would be opposed to adding a separate map layer/category for those on EDSM, administered independently from the GMP. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to detect them automatically in the journals, which would be needed for automatically populating it. Also, I'm not sure who should maintain it. I'm not volunteering here, just suggesting some options. ;)

Yes, logs do not contain information whether or not the system is in a nebula or not, so people will have to manually fill the list. Dunno if anybody needs such a catalog but I am sure that EDSM staff has plenty of work with GMP and site and will leave ideas about "lists of particular objects" to somebody else.

Name: Abigail's Mobile
Galmap Ref: Myriesly RN-B D13-7492 A 2, 3, 3 a
Description: Two ringed tidally-locked planets, one landable, the other not but it has a landable moon. Both have semitransparent, dusty, rings, all while residing only ~18ls from their star. This arrangement offers for some picturesque opportunities, and was featured in three of Obsidian Ant's videos.
Discovered By Dr.Digital

Source: https://youtu.be/fVNb_G-XmE8?t=2h7m

Source: https://youtu.be/qsoCBqbNuHo

Source: https://youtu.be/wVgiNSWYr74?t=2h1m

Attachments

• Myriesly RN-B D13-7492-1.png
    Myriesly RN-B D13-7492-1.png
    748.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Myriesly RN-B D13-7492-2.jpg
    Myriesly RN-B D13-7492-2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 278
  • Myriesly RN-B D13-7492-3.jpg
    Myriesly RN-B D13-7492-3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
The thing with planetary nebulae is that they are more useful to know about now: they are good candidates for NSPs. Which is why I've recently been working on a catalogue of nebulae. Still WIP, of course, but there should soon be enough verified (and regions noted) to post what I have so far. I'll post it in a couple of days or so. Just mentioning it here beforehand lest someone else start on one now, since it has been coming up more and more, and spend time on duplicated efforts.

Last edited:
Name:A Dance of Spirals
Game map search ref:Greae Phreia XO-A f190
Description:Close the center of the galaxy in area filled with black holes, one of those black holes has 2 pairs of binary Neutron & White Dwarfs performing two sets of dances to the backdrop of BOEWNST AA-A H118 Nebula creating a stunning view of bright and dark. Make sure you're not getting to close for you risk getting caught in a dance of spirals.

In the system you can find 1 Black Hole as a Main Star, 2 "Hyper" Neutrons & 3 White Dwarfs. Within 800ls of the Black Hole there is 1 "Hyper" Neutron and 2 White Dwarfs, these stars orbit very close to each other creating a spectacular dance. Further out there is another set of close orbiting stars, consisting of 1 "Hyper" Neutron & 1 White Dwarf in another close orbit dance.

In the distance you can view the Nebula of BOEWNST AA-A H118 among the stars.
Screenshot reference:

Same Images on Imgur: Source: https://imgur.com/a/59bxayx

Top Bottom