The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Name: Eodgold Anomaly
Galmap ref: Eodgold AA-A h8
Type: Planetary

Description: "This unusual system is located on the boundary between the Temple and Orion-Cygnus region. A highly massive Herbig Ae/Be is in binary orbit with a massive but cold Wolf-Rayet. Each has a collection of odd bodies: The Herbig has no less than 9 T-Tauri protostars, and the Wolf-Rayet has 16 rocky-class bodies, three gas giants and 7 T-Tauri stars.

Stellar analysis shows this system is only 2 million years old, indicating some fascinating destructive event. Given the large total mass of all the bodies in this system, a proposed solution is a supernova in a system with several other close stellar objects. If this theory holds, the disruption caused the other stars to be torn apart, collapsing back into the numerous protostars. The distant Wolf-Rayet object was less affected but able to "grab" expelled mass, forming the collection of small rocky bodies seen around it today.

This theory is completely broken by the presence of life-bearing worlds: Four terrestrial water worlds and one ammonia-life world are found here, and life does not form in 2 million short years. Also unexplained are the unusually large masses on the rocky worlds, such as the 36 earth-mass ammonia world; and the strangely small gas giants, such as the tiny Water Giant of only 30.3 solar masses and nearly the same radius as the ammonia world."

qsN3URcl.png

YFGXW61l.png

Name:Lyaisoo Black Earth
Game map search ref:Lyaisoo AA-A h447
Description:This is an extremely rare find: an Earth-like world orbiting a black hole. There is a young, B-class star in the system, but at 45 thousand light-seconds away, it shouldn't contribute to the existence of life on this planet. Systems like these are of extreme interest to scientists.
Screenshot reference:
tjIGJga.png

C6LLAZO.png

Name:(I'll leave this one to you guys.)
Game map search ref:Lyaisoo XL-D c28-163
Description:A fairly small purple nebula, northeast and above the core. Although it only holds a few stars, Lyaisoo MQ-B d14-2114 contains an Earth-like World, water world, and a terraformable HMCP and would be a prime colonization location.
Screenshot reference:
Xs24GOV.png

Last edited:
Updates

• Peacock Nebula - photo from Cmdr Martin Shepard
  • Angelfish Nebula - photo from Cmdr Baxder
  • Gryphon Nebula - photo from me
  • Seashell Nebula - photo from me
  • The Twins' Garden - photos from zehcoutinho
  • Rhubarb Nebula - photo from Baxder

Update #4407-#4431

The "I'm such a nerd I'm doing this on a Friday night" edition

Not added:

#4407,#4410,#4417,#4422,#4430 (notability)
#4409 (notability, near-core PN)
#4416 (notability, description)
#4419 (notability; 147 known systems with 6 or more WWs)
#4421 (notability; see Clockwork Rings and Spectacle Rings for existing examples)
#4423 (notability; "Planet can be seen to move in orbit" is never notable by itself)
#4425 (notability, proximity to feature-rich Colonia area)
#4426 (notability; heavily featured planets are now common)

Pending: #4408 (checking with other staff on notability)

Added:
#4411 (Vertigo)
#4420 (added as "Room With A View")
#4424 (Devil's Hair Nebula) - good name, desc, in area w/o many other nebula
#4427 (Choream Gigantum) - that first photo really sold it. please add system name next time so I don't have to go hunting for it....
#4431 (Ohio Nebula)

Photo Updates

• Umbra Centralis Nebula from Cmdr Baxder
  • Hawking's Nebula from Cmdr Baxder

Under our current criteria, yeah... I'm starting to ponder if we should be more selective. I assumed we would have catalogued [the large nebulae] all by now.
Nope, there are some missing from the GMP. You can find them on the Catalogue of Galactic Nebulae. If memory serves, there were 12-15 or so missing, and Mooing has been visiting them to submit them here, so it would be less now.

There are only 160 large generated nebulae anyway, so why not add all of them to the GMP? In my opinion, those are few enough to be notable.

Here's a few systems now that I've finally got to Explorer's Anchorage and dumped my data after a 10 month trip!

Name:Cannonball Run
Game map search ref:Hypio Ploe DV-G d10-40 (C)
Description:The system around the C companion of this neutron star is notable because it is highly compact, with seven worlds contained entirely within 0.07 AU of the M V primary. Six of those are also small metal-rich worlds (the 'cannonballs') - the outermost one is a larger landable HMC slightly larger than Luna. The C star also orbits about 0.9 AU from the NS/M V pair, and a few other worlds orbit all three stars.
Screenshot reference:
136a-359320_20191216222659_1.png

Last edited:
Name:NOA (Neutron Orbital Anomaly)
Game map search ref:Phrio Prao VO-Y D1-10377 1
Description:A volcanic landable planet only 120 ls from a solo neutron star - the NS and its jets (arrowed) are barely visible over the central vent plume in the screenshot. The planet is on a circular, non-inclined orbit, and the next planet out orbits at a distance of 3251 ls - while not visually spectacular, this is a very unusual orbital configuration because planets normally aren't found within 2000 ls of a neutron star (and if they are, they're usually on eccentric orbits).
Screenshot reference:
153-359320_20191215234529_1 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Name:The Corpse Ring
Game map search ref:Yoque AA-A H27
Description:A ringed neutron star orbiting a black hole. The rocky ring extends from an inner radius of only 60 km out to 2.82 million kilometres (0.018 AU)
Screenshot reference:
iAs4h7h.png

359320_20191216230044_1.png
[/QUOTE]

Name:Helium Surprise
Game map search ref:Graea Dryou LO-P d6-43
Description:This seemingly normal F V / K V system contains several surprises:
  • the three brown GGs in the companion system are all Helium Rich Gas Giants (the third of which has a ringhugger moon)
  • the smaller white GG (planet 8) in the F V system is also an Helium Rich Gas Giant
  • the red GG (planet 9) in the primary system is a 10.6 jupiter-mass Class IV superjovian with a 1.85 jupiter-mass Helium Rich GG (the big white ringed one) orbiting it that also has its own moons (for a total of five Helium Rich GGs in the system)!
  • The primary's fourth planet is a small sub-neptunian Class III giant with a VERY close Io-like moon with only a 2 day orbital period.
  • The Brown Dwarf on the outskirts of the F V system is only slightly more massive than the Class IV at 12.25 MJ (I haven't seen brown dwarfs often around F V stars either).
  • AND the 8th planet in the companion system is an HMC with a waterworld moon!
Screenshot reference:
359320_20191216230731_1.png

View from the innermost moon of the first HRGG (planet 8) around the F V star.
1IFdmxJ.png

I think topographic strange is extremly difficulty to find or to search. who is patient to land always on all planet?
Let's just say some of us have more time on our hands than others. As to my own experience, the planetary features I've submitted here have been found while collecting materials and stuff. In other words, I was doing something else and stumbled upon a "topographic strange." ;)

Minor update:

• Thana's Wasteland (Xuan Wu Abode) - moved from Archived to Historical, as this was one of the Sagittarius-Carina Mission camps
  • Gibb's Bridge - moved from Archived to Historical, as this was one of the Sagittarius-Carina Mission camps
  • Udjat - moved from Archived to Historical, as this was one of the Sagittarius-Carina Mission camps

Sag-Carnina Mission was significant enough to warrant remembering under 'Historical'.

Also:

* Updated 'Gas Earth' POI. It has had an incorrect system name since at least April 2019. Description updated to indicate it is not a record-breaker any more.

Last edited:
Name: Pale Red Dot
Type: Planetary
Galmap ref: Puelou CY-G b53-0

This unusual earthlike world is found at the upper end of Hawking's Gap. It is one of a very few known examples of earth-like worlds orbiting dim class-L dwarf stars. At a cool 1990 K and 20% of the mass of Sol, it puts out only 0.2% of the energy. As a result the earth like world orbits only 26 light-seconds away - 7.5 times closer than Mercury orbits Sol. It appears 16 times larger in the sky than Sol does from earth, like a great red eye.

At this distance the star has the same apparent magnitude of Sol, but most of the energy is in the near-infrared. Life here has adapted to the low-energy output, with long life cycles and rare reproduction. The planet orbits in a mere 9.7 days. Oddly the planet is not tidally locked to the star like all the other rocky bodies in the system; it also orbits opposite to the revolution of the rest of the system. Is this a wandering planet that from outside the system? How did life develop here? The universe continues to show us we have much to learn.

0xsjWHZl.png

Top Bottom