LTD mining is overpowered and it kills all other activities

good, working as intended.
no it's not, there should be a meaningful choice from the in-game point of view, not just from RP/fun/whatever. Actually, I don't understand how people can not see this as an issue for the whole game, no matter if you're a miner, trader, explorer, bounty hunter or anyone else.

Easiest way to balance this is by reducing fragment size. Markets and fragment count can stay the same. You just need more fragments to refine a ton of diamonds or whatever.

no it's not, there should be a meaningful choice from the in-game point of view, not just from RP/fun/whatever. Actually, I don't understand how people can not see this as an issue for the whole game, no matter if you're a miner, trader, explorer, bounty hunter or anyone else.

Game gives you a choice between prioritizing Cr P/h , rep gain, mats etc, for example: I mine for a week, though its boring as hell the system chat keeps me sane, once done, i move on to other tasks, what you find "meaningful" is relative, majority of us are pretty happy with way things are, more interested in adding more content than reshuffling existing ones n number of times.

at best i could hope for a player bounty and a galatic board, just for the sake of RP and rewarding players for engaging in PvP.

Considering the amount of youtubers doing Elite content, they are all about mining and have been for many months now.
Elite Mining Simulation they should rename it.

Comparison between two activities. Its just a video game, and I really don't care because I do whatever activities I like anyway. But it doesn't make logical sense. It seems weird to me.

1) Exploration: Make some credits over weeks or months:
Return with fantastic discoveries from other side of galaxy, super rare biological samples, alien artifacts. New geological and biological data. Be the first to discover whole new worlds with untold quantities of rare and unusual resources. ROI = very low, apparently not worth much. (in comparison to other activities)

2) Laser Mining - Get Massively Rich Quick!
Mine relatively common stuff at easy pre-discovered locations within the local bubble. Fast, easy, low risk, low skill. Worth a great deal.

You can choose, but there are no reasons not to choose LTD mining if your goal is to earn credits.
Exactly that. May be I'm wrong, but "if your goal is to earn credits" I can possibly agree that present situation can result in lack of motivation to do anything else except LTD mining.

However imo that is exactly question of "motivation" (and goals), as you see them - and for some unknown for me reason you extend this motivation and goals for "most of other players". Why?

Not the first time I encounter here on the forums suggestions that game must strictly impose some rules (and "special motivation") for one or another specific in-game activity (the one usually preferred by the commander who suggests it) in order to make "more players involved in it". By special gratification of that said activity (or nerfing others), or by other ways. And "All" must be happy with that kind of suggestions. Just by definition.

As a side thought - may be it's time for FD to return some earlier nerfed ("fixed") in-game activities. I'm suggesting this not because they were "better", but by the reason that some of the later hot-fixing them have resulted in quite a number of additional bugs that have effectively ruined some others game mechanics, non-related to the fixed issue .

However imo that is exactly question of "motivation" (and goals), as you see them - and for some unknown for me reason you extend this motivation and goals for "most of other players". Why?

Players that had less than 2 billion two months ago and purchased a FC on the release date likely went LTD mining.

and for some unknown for me reason you extend this motivation and goals for "most of other players". Why?

Players that had less than 2 billion two months ago and purchased a FC on the release date likely went LTD mining.

And what is "so-o-o wrong" with that?

I did not say anything is wrong. I was replying to to your post. "most players" that want rapid credits are going to go mining. Its fast, easy, low risk. Pretty obvious.

Edit: If players want to play a super easy game that's fine, I have no problem with that. Personally I want to play a game I'm not embarrassed to tell my friends I play. Do I submit to peer pressure... yup. That's why I don't play Dora The Explorer games. They are fun and colorful and really easy, but not really intended for my age group.

Last edited:
I did not say anything is wrong. I was replying to to your post. "most players" that want rapid credits are going to go mining. Its fast, easy, low risk. Pretty obvious.

Edit: If players want to play a super easy game that's fine, I have no problem with that. Personally I want to play a game I'm not embarrassed to tell my friends I play. Do I submit to peer pressure... yup. That's why I don't play Dora The Explorer games. They are fun and colorful, but not really intended for my age group.
Thank you, rather good that you've quoted our discussion, but you haven't included the the post I've originally replied to - the one from the OP. My original answer was to his post when he re-formulated the problem as " there are no reasons not to choose LTD mining if your goal is to earn credits " - exactly this kind of a summary I has been sure to encounter here sooner or later.

In elite there were nearby always some exploits - more or less known - to gain something faster then it supposed as "intended" (and mining at the very beginning was one of the worst mechanics to get some creds). Trading-missions-passengers-and-now-mining. Old as elite=) Some has been fixed (and some of those fixes were disastrous to other sides of gameplay), some others new appear on a regular basis. And always the same reaction from (not always the same) part of community - "terrible balance! must be nerfed asap". So after all this years I've started to be afraid more about consequences of on-the-fly fixing rather then about issues themselves.

And being embarrassed - don't know, here in fact each can blaze it's own way as they said. Credits were not in my goals list in elite, my in-game interests lay in other aspects of the game . So I've had slightly more then 2 - about 3.5 billions - on my bank account not long ago (after 5 years of playing). However FC is a tool I can use. And the present opportunity to get it fast were a bit of a good surprise.

Surface and sub-surface deposits on asteroids will no longer immediately respawn when re-entering the instance or switching to a ship launched fighter.

Well... At least FDevs fixed the bug. Hope they will think about really solving the overall issue with in-game economy one day.

which is why we should increase combat and exploration pay not drag down mining pay. the only players that are really affected by credits are the new players who are not established. engineering is already gatekeeping combat we don't need a 2nd wall for new players it would kill ED by driving away new players.
If to leave laser mining as it is, and then increase combat income proportionally to how much harder and dangerous it is, it would be something like billion per hour... which is obviously ridiculous amount.
Should mining still be profitable? Yes - deep core mining surely should be. Laser mining is so simple, it should be left only for noobs, with appropriate income.

I am completely ok with that. As long as the credits want buy you combat skills, engineered ships and so on.

If to leave laser mining as it is, and then increase combat income proportionally to how much harder and dangerous it is, it would be something like billion per hour... which is obviously ridiculous amount.
Should mining still be profitable? Yes - deep core mining surely should be. Laser mining is so simple, it should be left only for noobs, with appropriate income.
I dont think any one thinks it should be proportional to the difficulty just equal to mining wyrm

The game seems to offer a gold rush now and then, for a while, before it goes away. It was with trading, then with passengers, then with combat, then with mining. It seems all the disciplines have had gold rushes, and perhaps this is intentional to get people into mining since it's one of the most highly developed aspects of the game.

1st was laser mining, then along came core mining, now the rush is SSDs. All three mining methods, all with respective gold rushes, all dragged a lot of players into those modes for a while. Now if CQC would offer like 200m per kill, that might get some in it.

Top Bottom