Need stable AIP for telemetry data - used for 2-6 dof motion platforms

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
After getting a GTX 1080, an Oculus Rift, a Playseat, a Logitech G29 wheel & Pedal, a Thrustmaster Hotas & Throttle & TPR pedals and basshakers, a motion platform has moved up on the wishlist. Games without a telemetry API will no longer appear on my wishlist.
Flying ED in VR is amazing. Using Basshakers via the interface from Sim Racing Studio - already using that with Assetto Corsa, dont want to miss it ever again - and a motion platform will be the next step, if there will be a telemetry API. If not, i´ll look elsewhere.

Last edited:
After getting a GTX 1080, an Oculus Rift, a Playseat, a Logitech G29 wheel & Pedal, a Thrustmaster Hotas & Throttle & TPR pedals and basshakers, a motion platform has moved up on the wishlist. Games without a telemetry API will no longer appear on my wishlist.
Flying ED in VR is amazing. Using Basshakers via the interface from Sim Racing Studio - already using that with Assetto Corsa, dont want to miss it ever again - and a motion platform will be the next step, if there will be a telemetry API. If not, i´ll look elsewhere.

Check this out: https://www.simracingstudio.com/product-page/dof-reality-h3-srs-double-the-fan-tube-edition-combo

Well, i am living in germany. I bought a fan + controller from your shop. Works great by the way. However, to the $114 came 45$ shipping + tax + import tariff + handling fee. I dont remember the exact number, i did not keep the bills. It was well beyond 200€. Lets say this is the most expensive fan i own. I guess its more expensive than all fans i own together. Importing a motion platform would be seriously expensive. I rather spend the extra money on more dof.

Here's another +1 for the telemetry data. Not only it'll be useful for motion platforms. It can also improve a lot the experience for bass shakers owners. Right now I'm using my buttkicker through SimHub instead of the standard audio out, and it's way better and configurable. Also you would worry no more for the music causing unwanted vibrations.

+1 simulator motion API for mod community

Dear developers, please consider exposing 6DOF ship telemetry API for mod community to build peripherals on.

Even without SRV support, 6DOF API would bring profound joy to the community.

kind regards,
Carbon

Last edited:
I was looking at getting a motion rig and held off because of lack of support in ED.

I agree this would be a fantastic edition, along with a base channel, and tracked multicrew head movement in VR....

The more real elite gets the better.

Please consider adding it.

OK Elite Dangerous Devs. You did it again with your last patch Jan 2020. You broke SimRacingStudio that we use with DOF Reality sims. Now the devs at SRS have to hack the hack to try to get it working again. Just one little API and we are all done with this churn. I know we are a small segment of the market but the guys with Motion rigs and VR are the ones making vids on YouTube. That has to be worth something? We have to jump through a lot of hoops to get this all working. Editing text files etc. Please meet us in the middle. Please please please.

OK Elite Dangerous Devs. You did it again with your last patch Jan 2020. You broke SimRacingStudio that we use with DOF Reality sims. Now the devs at SRS have to hack the hack to try to get it working again. Just one little API and we are all done with this churn. I know we are a small segment of the market but the guys with Motion rigs and VR are the ones making vids on YouTube. That has to be worth something? We have to jump through a lot of hoops to get this all working. Editing text files etc. Please meet us in the middle. Please please please.
No point in fixing it now, another patch due next week.....

Well I am sure you are joking but just in case you are not. That's the point. Once we get the API, the patches wont break it.

Greetings Commanders,

An update to Elite Dangerous on PC will be released at 12:00 PM UTC today (15 January). This is a client-side update and there will be no downtime, however a game update will be required.

Please find the patch notes below:

• Fixed a stuttering issue caused by requesting data for all planets on arrival in a system.
As mentioned in our January Update - Patch 1 Announcement thread, this patch will be available for consoles next week. We will also be releasing a concurrent patch for all platforms that will address a number of other high priority issues. We will have more information about what fixes will be included in this patch early next week.

Looks like they are.

I have the whole VR rig and base inducers, nice hotas for the game, I have been hovering over getting a motion system.... is it worth it? The lack of actual support for the motion system in the game has been a big factor in me not getting one.

I have the whole VR rig and base inducers, nice hotas for the game, I have been hovering over getting a motion system.... is it worth it? The lack of actual support for the motion system in the game has been a big factor in me not getting one.
I also have VR and a "Base Shaker" and a Warthog HOTAS. The joystick is central on a 16 inch extension which is more for helis in DCS and X plane 11 but it works fine for ED IMHO. OK to answer your question, is it worth getting motion ? (sorry in advance for the long answer). For flying a Cessna in X Plane it's not very realistic coz when you bank a plane the coffee cup on the dash wont spill, you just pull g straight down to the floor and the DOF P3 or P6 for that matter can't simulate that. Landing is useful coz you get a bump when you land. I did a little bounce on landing the other day and I got a "bump" thousand and one "bump" That is precise feedback that you don't get even with VR. For helicopters, I am not sure how realistic the motion is but the thing is that when you achieve a perfect hover and hold it rock solid for 5 min, which is what most pilots are trying to do the platform is frozen which I think is realistic but somewhat ironic. For Elite Dangerous the motion is very realistic just like when I fly my real FTLS space ship. But to be serious the best part for me is the unexpected shunts you get when you boost or when you are in auto dock. That does make me smile but I only got ED working with the P3 a few weeks ago so maybe the novelty will wear off. So as you know, VR is a no brainer and get's you 90% "Tactile transducer" and amp gets you to 96% and is amazing especially for under $100. So is motion worth it? Well have you ever been to a really good restaurant? Where you were paying $200 or more per person? Was the food really good? Probably. Was the food really interesting? Probably. Was it $150 better than the Outback Steak House? Well that depends. One big factor is how much disposable cash you have. If I had $20 million in the bank I think I would eat at very expensive restaurants nearly every week. As it is I go once or twice a year. So if you have $3 grand that you really don't care about, motion becomes more of a proposition. So is motion worth it? For me, if I am being perfectly honest, on balance. No it's not. If you are into driving sims (which I have not done) maybe? However the next question is can you build your own one and save a ton of money? Well if you want something comparable to the quality and reliability of a DOF Reality H3 or P3 or P6 and you are an average guy then no you can't. If however like me you are an engineer and you can fabricate a frame and weld and braze and calculate C of G and you have a deep understanding of electronics and software and firmware then... No you still can't. Oh BTW the devs at Sim Racing Studio (The software that runs DOF Reality) are amazing and respond in less than 24 hours.

Hi Devs,

I also will be pleased, if you could add stable telemetry data to Elite Dangerous.
I'm a Kickstarter Backer of a 3DOF Simulator, which is expected to arrive next week.
I'm ED Player since 12/2014 and I love it to play with Oculus Rift. All that is missing to have a full real feeling are stable telemetry data.
I know there are some very enthusastic people, making cool plugins on simtools for this great game - but as wrote before - with every update, their hard work is annihilated again.

So please have an ear for us and support our great VR SIM community.

Thank you in advance.

CMDR Schmutzhuhn

Yes please fdev. Kickstarter Founder level here.
Vr with this game is already great. I've had the chance to fly work my Motion sim for about 2 hours and that added a while other level of immersion. Please make time for a tiny piece of data output. So that we can enjoy this game to the max.

Thanks!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom