Please remove the 256 species limit

I fully support this idea. Planet Zoo is about creativity, expression and creating your perfect themed zoo. Having this limit removes these options because while the animal choice is there, many animals don't fit with what you wish to build. Let people be creative and enjoy the game. I humbly agree with even just bumping up the max limit to 500 or 800 or something.

I'm here for my support voice.
I've been a fan of all the wonderful mods since the beginning, although currently I only use the remaster mods (and I love them!).
Nevertheless, I regularly check what wonderful new animals there are and I hope that the modding community will continue to inspire us with wonderful animals long after Frontier support ends.
You have my vote, dear ones!

I'm here for my support voice.
I've been a fan of all the wonderful mods since the beginning, although currently I only use the remaster mods (and I love them!).
Nevertheless, I regularly check what wonderful new animals there are and I hope that the modding community will continue to inspire us with wonderful animals long after Frontier support ends.
You have my vote, dear ones!
Me too. I only use remaster mods. Those mods make many base game animals much better.

I love using mods but suddenly noticed my game was crashing when I tried to load my huge zoo save file. I tried to google but nothing came up and only after a spot of trial and error I realised I had to remove a certain amount of mods to be able to play the save. This has left me with a huge folder of mods I can't use in my zoo unless I delete some. This is something I really would love for Frontier to rectify.

Seeing the support here is marvelous. Mods have really helped to prove not only to be a tertiary source of income to me, but an incredible hobby as well. To see so many people being able to bring their favorite animals into the game is a great thing to have. The words of encouragement for this effort is incredible. From both prospect mod-users, current mod-users, even non-mod users. It's heartwarming, and I hope that we might be able to let Frontier know that this would mean the world to us. I trust the CM's are able to see this and bring it to the rest of the team. It would mean so much.

I made a little gif to visualize the effect of the species limit, because it can seem a little abstract what it actually does. Basically, every species counts towards the limit, so if there's more DLC animals, you won't be able to install as much mods. I truly hope the devs can take a look at this limit because after official support, as many here have said, mods will become an integral part of the game (if they aren't already).

0egtG2i.gif

I made a little gif to visualize the effect of the species limit, because it can seem a little abstract what it actually does. Basically, every species counts towards the limit, so if there's more DLC animals, you won't be able to install as much mods. I truly hope the devs can take a look at this limit because after official support, as many here have said, mods will become an integral part of the game (if they aren't already).

0egtG2i.gif
To be fair, I assume the final roster would be ~160 species, as every year we get ~22 new habitat species and we currently have 115 species. That still leaves place for almost a 100 modded animals.

Not to say that I don't support removing the limit, but it's not as small an amount as it may seem at first glance.

I’ve got to ask though would more effect game stability? I remember in the zt2 days usually once you got too many mods it crashed the game. Usually I would make a folder and store all my mods and use the ones I’d be using for what zoo is build. As far as planet zoo tho I have no idea how many animals would start effecting stability as I’d imagine after a certain limit somethings got to give.

To be fair, I assume the final roster would be ~160 species, as every year we get ~22 new habitat species and we currently have 115 species. That still leaves place for almost a 100 modded animals.

Not to say that I don't support removing the limit, but it's not as small an amount as it may seem at first glance.
That's quite the difference than what was being mentioned earlier that we would have virtually no room for mods. Anyone who can have over a hundred plus mods with no compatibly/ performance issues deserves some praise. Some may mention that real zoos have thousands of species but the average zoo build never exceeds 400-500 total animals due to performance limitations. Sure the choice is wonderful but why would anyone download a mod for an animal they don't intend to use

To voice my opinion on this topic though, I'm neutral about raising this limit because it is of no concern for the average player with a dozen or so mods in the near future

Last edited:
That's quite the difference than what was being mentioned earlier that we would have virtually no room for mods. Anyone who can have over a hundred plus mods with no compatibly/ performance issues deserves some praise. Some may mention that real zoos have thousands of species but the average zoo build never exceeds 400-500 total animals due to performance limitations. Sure the choice is wonderful but why would anyone download a mod for an animal they don't intend to use
Yeah is support this topic, but those are my thoughts as well. At the moment i'm mostly using remasters and a few mods (like the ocelot and the blackbuck) but i don't think i'll ever need to get that many mods installed at the same time for one zoo. There are like 10 species of agouti for instance avaible for download. I won't need them all simultaneously.

Yeah is support this topic, but those are my thoughts as well. At the moment i'm mostly using remasters and a few mods (like the ocelot and the blackbuck) but i don't think i'll ever need to get that many mods installed at the same time for one zoo. There are like 10 species of agouti for instance avaible for download. I won't need them all simultaneously.
Again I don't use mods, but I can see how this is still an issue because, if I'm understanding it right, if you have over the limit of animals installed it starts removing them from the market -even if you don't have that animal in your loaded zoo- and will crash the game if you have a removed animal in a zoo you're trying to load.

I don't have all of the base game animals and current dlc animals in one zoo because it would make my pc explode and catch fire, but I sure would be upset if I were to download a new dlc and discover that all animals beginning with A were suddenly removed from the market and any zoos containing them required me to deinstall files to open.

To voice my opinion on this topic though, I'm neutral about raising this limit because it is of no concern for the average player with a dozen or so mods in the near future
This is to future-proof the game. Rigs will get better and the only way mods can continue is by removing this limit.

A lot of them are ones that are very similar to existing animals, so someone can go with the exact species they want while still having the base game ones.

One example is the American Wood Bison, it's one that would be of interest to different areas for people who live in different areas, or similar. Sure, you could go with the American Plains Bison for it, but that's for other things. or someone wants the American Black Bear. Simple mods with no real conflicts with existing ones.

A lot of people also don't like swapping mods out if they don't have to, so some animal might be a great thing for a specific zoo or zoos, but not several others.

There's also clusters of animals that have different purposes such as several farm animals that are extremely common for petting zoos and handling that is pretty much entirely via mods now.

Not everyone would get every mod, but there are several people who do like having them, and sometimes just finding that perfect animal for your zoo.

Then you have things like with ZSU and people who might try something similar with closer groups that might want more specific variety, or one from another zoo game...or just the animal they really want (With 2 basic deer species, I'd still love to see the Key Deer pop up, but I doubt it will happen since more spread is better for the game with official DLC, while Mods work great to fill in the gaps).

Which is contrasted by other work that people have done such as the massive amount of work on aquarium species which require a lot of different animals to actually work in a way to look right when designing areas for them.

This game has literally thousands of decorations. I think it's only fair to allow thousands of animals too. Even if frontier wont make them the modders would. It'll be the modders which carry on this games legacy once the devs decide to move onto other games. Games such as Starbound, Skyrim, Minecraft, etc have all benefitted from modders who create new content. The content the modders make extends a gaming communities lifespan by adding new and interesting things that the game developers either didn't want to add or never thought of adding. A game like Skyrim, which was released in 2011 is still played today thanks to the support of a fantastic modding community.

Content creators such as youtubers are also helping to advertise the games they play, which encourages watchers to purchase the game they're watching. Content creators are less likely to move onto new games if there is modded content available as it ensures their is more substance to make content out of for their videos. If the game runs out of content the youtuber may very well move onto other games with fresher content and therefore stop advertising the game. A lot of youtubers make gaming videos with mods, examples are Ark Survival Evolved, Starbound, Rimworld and Minecraft. You can probably imagine how many gamers their videos reach and just how much of a massive impact they have on their viewer bases. They're basically advertising your game for you for free. When I first bought Ark Survival and all the DLC it was because I was watching content creators playing Ark Survival with modded animals. I also know for a fact that Youtube's minecraft community is a massive asset to Minecraft's marketing. Content creators videos reach millions of children around the world for free. That is some seriously efficient advertising if you ask me...

Modding is a brilliant thing, please reconsider upping the animal limit. Your games legacy may very well depend on it.

This game has literally thousands of decorations. I think it's only fair to allow thousands of animals too.
I agree with the general notion, but this reads like "my house has hundreds of furnitures. It's only fair for it to have hundreds of people as well".

An animal weighs a lot more on the game than a scenery item.

I agree with the general notion, but this reads like "my house has hundreds of furnitures. It's only fair for it to have hundreds of people as well".

An animal weighs a lot more on the game than a scenery item.
However, that's only if they're installed. For the average vanilla player, it would have the same performance whether or not they raise the limit or not. The only real change would be file size or something, but even then, that's extremely minimal from my experience.

Absolutely agree. Removing the limit would improve the game life span and overall playability when support of the game ends. Also, would improve the range of animals the game reaches, as it is impossible for the devs to include all animals the community wants.

Top Bottom