Powerplay 2.0 deep dive - Frontier Live 27th March

Ok NOW I understand. :)
That said, I still believe that Powerplay at this point should be Open Only to make it different from BGS, apparently PP2 is designed to make crystal clear where you can find enemy activity and this seems perfect for a "Open Play cooperation/confrontation game style".
This is the main reason I would love for Powerplay to be completely "optional" for the casual player, the uninterested player and for anybody that simply don't want that kind of "cooperation/confrontation" game style.
Without Open Play I am afraid that PP2, even if is far, far, faaaar better than current Powerplay, would become more like a "upper scale, actually a little bit poorer in game mechanics" BGS.

Don't get me wrong: I welcome very happily this new PP2 even if it's gonna be open/solo as the rest of the game is right now, I just say that making it Open Only would give the game that final flavour FDev tried (and failed until now) to give until now (the REAL MMO flavour, where you find actual people and not just the consequences of their actions).

But if you make it Open Only THEN you need to give the Powerplay Modules to every player, even the ones that do not want to play Open (but BGS will stay as it is for that).

Basically making my reasoning as a flowchart it should be something like this:

Open Only Powerplay?
  • YES: Power Modules to Tech Brokers for everybody
  • NO: Will Powerplay Modules be unlocked at some point of the Tier System for every Power?
    • YES: Power Modules can stay as one of the many Powerplay gift
    • NO: Power Modules to Tech Brokers for everybody

But if you think about it it's easier to just put Powerplay Modules to tech-brokers, and it would make the pledge choice even fairer especialy for new Players.

Oh and by the way: if they REALLY want to make Powerplay Open Only, they should think about every problem connected to that:
  • something like a "suspension system" for players attacking same pledged players (to avoid people pledging with secondary accounts to raid their true enemies)
  • making the docking different: we don't know people occupying the docking bays just for the lolz, ships should leave the docking bay asap, despawning possibly then spawning again when they launch from the shipyard.
Anything open-only is pointless, as long as there are ways to play in Open and not instance with other players. Which there are. All the blockading-systems stuff is just fantasy in this P2P game implementation.

I mean, all anyone would have to do is read the "The Port Forwarding thread: Minimizing multiplayer connection issues" and do the opposite of what it says

Last edited:
Anything open-only is pointless, as long as there are ways to play in Open and not instance with other players. Which there are. All the blockading-systems stuff is just fantasy in this P2P game implementation.

I mean, all anyone would have to do is read the "The Port Forwarding thread: Minimizing multiplayer connection issues" and do the opposite of what it says

Its a numbers game... most players will just play the game as it is presented to them. A few skill-issue types will do that sort of thing but it's not like players don't exploit in other areas.
I think FDEV are starting to realise that the gameplay potential of multiplayer-centric mechanics out-weighs the risk of a minority of players exploiting. And the risk of that should never prevent an open play feature from being implemented. There are always ways to combat exploiters.

Powerplay being Open-only would be nothing more than a ganker's paradise. All you'd have to do is sit at the main star in any faction's main system and simply wait for your prey to come along. If I wanted forced PvP, I'd play EVE.

As you all know I favour the Open Only Powerplay solution, but to make it so Powerplay shouldn't offer ANYTHING for players who are not interested in that kind of gameplay: this means, and I will never stop to say it, NO MORE POWERPLAY MODULES, current modules should be MOVED to tech-brokers for EVERYBODY, maybe if you want to feel nostalgic to the tech-brokers of the systems (at least) fortified by thier original Power, but Powerplay should be played EXCLUSIVELY by players that WANT to play Powerplay, which should have some very precise gameplay characteristics to offer for the players that may be interested.

Like the whole thargoid-war game mechanic: I never cared that much of the whole thargoid gameplay part, but I simply do not partake in that, for Powerplay it should be the EXACT SAME THING.
How about if solo/pg/all players could steal PP modules from the stronghold carrier fleets, maybe even without having any big impact on the PP itself?

Would let the players get the modules, and if not interested in PP they don't necessarily have to be a nuisance to the PP groups?

Any place we can go to actually READ these PP2.0 changes? I hear them being talked about alot on twitch but it seems I cannot find just a list of changes in text form.

For my money the modules are PPs connection to PG/Solo. Replace them with themed cosmetics or something like that and OO has a case. Keep the modules tied to PP and it's locked to PG/Solo.
If the link is that tenuous (modules to solo PG) then muting the INF reward for specific Open centric activity (but keeping the personal reward which unlocks things) does the same thing.

But certainly if thats all that most people have an objection to for OO then go for it.

Powerplay being Open-only would be nothing more than a ganker's paradise. All you'd have to do is sit at the main star in any faction's main system and simply wait for your prey to come along. If I wanted forced PvP, I'd play EVE.

Contrast this with responses elsewhere on this topic saying OO is pointless because of my shield-tank Cutter.

Either its an impossible hellscape or attacks are useless....which one is it?

Or that a lot of people are overtly paranoid about Open?
I am not one of those people, if you cannot build a ship to play in open though, it is quite literally pointless to try and do open pvp until you are able to do so. The cutter side of things also needs address though because if we get everyone flying around in cutters just to avoid having to deal with the mechanic in the first place that isn't good game design either. There has to be a balance. I am not saying what should be done to achieve it but both
A) "Gankers Paradise" situations (which I find the term ganker to be over used to the point of meaning just any form of pvp) are not good for the health of the game or making new players even want to stick with that gameplay loop.
B) Half the PP playerbase running around in 5k MJ cutters just to avoid fighting altogether means powerplay as a way of introducing more pvp into the game would fall flat.

Interested to see how it's going to be balanced

I am not one of those people, if you cannot build a ship to play in open though, it is quite literally pointless to try and do open pvp until you are able to do so. The cutter side of things also needs address though because if we get everyone flying around in cutters just to avoid having to deal with the mechanic in the first place that isn't good game design either. There has to be a balance. I am not saying what should be done to achieve it but both
A) "Gankers Paradise" situations (which I find the term ganker to be over used to the point of meaning just any form of pvp) are not good for the health of the game or making new players even want to stick with that gameplay loop.
B) Half the PP playerbase running around in 5k MJ cutters just to avoid fighting altogether means powerplay as a way of introducing more pvp into the game would fall flat.

Interested to see how it's going to be balanced
Cutters are not invincible though, and that although its not a 'win' for the attacker personally you can still empty a hold and 'win' for the powr (unless they scoop up the dropped cargo).

Cutters are not invincible though, and that although its not a 'win' for the attacker personally you can still empty a hold and 'win' for the powr (unless they scoop up the dropped cargo).
To get blown up in a Cutter you would have to either be intentionally trying to get blown up, or having an incredible amount of skill issues. Even with torps existing, which are laughably easy to evade. That on top of nothing mass locking it (besides another one), sure there are grom bombs, but even then you can stack enough MJ for it to not even matter. If one dies in a Cutter as they are balanced now it is a skill issue. If the players aren't jumping away as soon as cooldown is off and you get hit with a few hatch breakers, that is on the player.

To get blown up in a Cutter you would have to either be intentionally trying to get blown up, or having an incredible amount of skill issues. Even with torps existing, which are laughably easy to evade. That on top of nothing mass locking it (besides another one), sure there are grom bombs, but even then you can stack enough MJ for it to not even matter. If one dies in a Cutter as they are balanced now it is a skill issue.
Then people have nothing to fear other than having the hold emptied. That or hope you have an L pad and that its one attacker.

Then people have nothing to fear other than having the hold emptied. That or hope you have an L pad and that its one attacker.
So a majority of players flying in one would in fact make the new system feel quite pointless with them having nothing to risk, and way less pvp to actually be had. Because as it even stands now outside of pp, someone floats up in a Cutter, even most vet pvpers are just gonna nope out. It is just not worth the time. I have had 45 minute cutter vs cutter fights. Never again.

Top Bottom