Ships Python Owners' Thread

Been flying my Python (née Bounder, now called Argo) for nearly two years after coming up from Cobra Mk III, AspX and briefly flirting with a Clipper and an Anaconda. Even now it's still the best ship in the game. I'm PvE (tho play in Open) and do everything so my loadout is just that, although these days I spend most of my time beyond the bubble exploring and prospecting. If I have one complaint it's range: I'm fully Felicity'd up but still only get 24.7-26.7ly. OK, two complaints, even though it's the prettiest of the large ships I do wish it didn't have a beak with a silly grin...

Pictures follow
White is the best paint job.

QmRmLwUXj71kpv8qyAsCiu9RMJAn4PZhJNh82pdhSekSvX

Really, it is white, I promise

QmVAC9eC2Xowr2HXZ28ric3yPdszyDwHhbFEebhxgpotzG

The Python has unparalleled headlights

QmTfqFnMAgXWceqRaRGW8UaUp3fVeUrW3amiPeMqKzz8Qg

QmSBBpTvxrcM9EnwmPf61UCd5fHyNfFW9s7YHXsLA36n1T

Been flying my Python (née Bounder, now called Argo) for nearly two years after coming up from Cobra Mk III, AspX and briefly flirting with a Clipper and an Anaconda. Even now it's still the best ship in the game. I'm PvE (tho play in Open) and do everything so my loadout is just that, although these days I spend most of my time beyond the bubble exploring and prospecting. If I have one complaint it's range: I'm fully Felicity'd up but still only get 24.7-26.7ly. OK, two complaints, even though it's the prettiest of the large ships I do wish it didn't have a beak with a silly grin...

Pictures follow

The range isn't that bad. I'm getting 35ly range with my explorer support ship setup. 2 SRVs, fuel limpets, repair limpets, and an extra 64t tank. I can go 680ly before refuelling.

Almost done engineering mine! Can't get enough of this ship!

I like it so much that I felt it deserved the Tactical paint (white & blue), blue weapons and blue thrusters.

The Chieftain has been collecting dust ever since I got my G3 dirty drives, auto-loading overcharged mc's, and stripped-down efficient beams. Now that they are G5, I think I'm going to sell the Chief. I just don't see a reason to fly it aside from the cheaper rebuy if I know I'm heading into very risky territory. Then again, the Chief is un-engineered, so its fire-power is now vastly inferior to the Python and the Python is now almost as nimble... Nope, no reason to fly it...

The AspX has been reduced to SRV carrier / long-range traveler.

Almost done engineering mine! Can't get enough of this ship!

I like it so much that I felt it deserved the Tactical paint (white & blue), blue weapons and blue thrusters.

The Chieftain has been collecting dust ever since I got my G3 dirty drives, auto-loading overcharged mc's, and stripped-down efficient beams. Now that they are G5, I think I'm going to sell the Chief. I just don't see a reason to fly it aside from the cheaper rebuy if I know I'm heading into very risky territory. Then again, the Chief is un-engineered, so its fire-power is now vastly inferior to the Python and the Python is now almost as nimble... Nope, no reason to fly it...

The AspX has been reduced to SRV carrier / long-range traveler.

If you fully engineered the Chieftain you'd find the Python is certainly nowhere near as nimble.

If you fully engineered the Chieftain you'd find the Python is certainly nowhere near as nimble.

I know, I don't doubt it one bit, but the Chieftain will never be as practical as the Python.

The agility of the Chieftain was good for me right out of the box. And don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed flying it. But it's a combat ship that's hard to turn into a multi-purpose ship due to its military slots, smallish FSD and smallish PP.

What I hate with a passion is managing a stable of specialized ships.

I'm done traveling with the Asp, then calling in the Chief for combat and then calling in the Python for medium-pad hauling.

I know there will always be better freighters/explorers/fighters around, but the Python is a gem when it comes to doing it all very well.

I know, I don't doubt it one bit, but the Chieftain will never be as practical as the Python.

The agility of the Chieftain was good for me right out of the box. And don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed flying it. But it's a combat ship that's hard to turn into a multi-purpose ship due to its military slots, smallish FSD and smallish PP.

What I hate with a passion is managing a stable of specialized ships.

I'm done traveling with the Asp, then calling in the Chief for combat and then calling in the Python for medium-pad hauling.

I know there will always be better freighters/explorers/fighters around, but the Python is a gem when it comes to doing it all very well.

Totally agree with you.... I own what people call the big three or the big four if the t10 is now counted as the forth ? plus various other ships & would say the python is still the most useful ship in the game for doing everything.

Realistically speaking, how many people would it take to fly a Python? I mean pilot and crew and whatnot. What would be the minimum and maximum capacity, funcitonal crew-wise. Would one pilot doing everything really be enough?

Realistically speaking, how many people would it take to fly a Python? I mean pilot and crew and whatnot. What would be the minimum and maximum capacity, funcitonal crew-wise. Would one pilot doing everything really be enough?

In my game world, the ship would have a functional ship's computer, capable of plotting a course and navigating to a destination. It would also monitor ships systems of course. But even with that I can believe that a 3-4 person crew would still be ideal. These people would be able to copilot the ship, perform engineering functions, and assist with other ship's functions like cargo on-loading/offloading, scanning planets and systems, manning weps and/or defenses, etc..

But of course that would require the ships to be designed as true multi-crewed starships. But they are not. The original ships were single-seat pew-pew ships, to be flown around in a simple pew-pew game.

Still are, even though they have grown a bit and some other basic functionality added to the game.

Last edited:

If we look on the classic Elite Games there are two answers on this question.

In Elite(1984) you needed a crew 20-30 man + the player pilot. Compared to this ships size and its former Payload of 100t it seems IMO very much, but the original Elite dimensions are surely something special.

In Elite 3 (Frontier: First Encounters) you required a crew of 7 man + pilot, for a former payload of 400t. Also, because the Python is a quite old ship, it needs a larger crew, compared to newer ships of it's size. IMO that sounds possible and quite realistic to me.

I my game world, the ship would have a functional ship's computer, capable of plotting a course and navigating to a destination. It would also monitor ships systems of course. But even with that I can believe that a 3-4 person crew would still be ideal. These people would be able to copilot the ship, perform engineering functions, and assist with other ship's functions like cargo on-loading/offloading, scanning planets and systems, manning weps and/or defenses, etc...

That is similar to what I had in mind

In Elite 3 (Frontier: First Encounters) you required a crew of 7 man + pilot, for a former payload of 400t. Also, because the Python is a quite old ship, it needs a larger crew, compared to newer ships of it's size. IMO that sounds possible and quite realistic to me.

Danke fur die Antwort, that sounds pretty realistic, makes sense that you would need a crew of 7 plus pilot, for a ship this size. I guess it would also depend what the ship was outfitted for. Combat ships might require more cremembers or a different kind of crew than say a purely commercial Python used only to haul goods around, or one configured for exploration.

My python... when I switched over from the vulture to the python I must admit I hated it. But since we got engineers I seriously consider not to go conda and just stay with it. It's just a flying home. Class 5 fuel scoop, check, can wreck the big three, check, cargo hauling? I just need 64 limpets to sack in all those mats I get from exterminating! All-engineered, 470 m/s can outrun thargoids, 512 shields with over 60% resistance to everything. Armored power plant, I can equip 5 engineered Burst lasers, hard to overheat.

The only time I got killed was by a griefer when I returned with 20% hull from thargoid hunting, and he even took 2 minutes. If I wouldn't have been fitted for tharg hunting that time he'd probably be space dust now!

Maybe we will get an mkII python some time!? I mean the design is 600 years old, right? It surely shows why it survived the ages so well...

You can fit it for everything, and in everything, except maybe exploration, it can outperform other ships. Agile enough for all gimbal, or even Gauss if you're a fancy bird. My imperial Hammers WILL crack skulls open. Even on my full allrounder setup I can do 25 ly jumps!

The only threat for it could be the higher-level thargoids, or asteroids in a night RES, but that's universal I guess. If we ever get a multi-purpose between conda and python I might consider changing, but as of now I cannot imagine a more flexible ship than this. You can even land on M-pads!

I just picked up the Python a few days ago and oh boy does it blow the ships I have out of the proverbial water. I am an awful combat pilot so I've been using mine primarily for mining and, for some reason, I actually enjoy hitting those pristine metallic rings with over 100 tons of drones and walking out roughly 2 hours later with upwards of 7 million in precious metals and painite. It's a long way to A-rate, but I am going to enjoy the traveling this road unlike the Type 7 I had been using before it.

Dropped too quickly into OC and got spun out fairly high up above a, highish gravity HMCW. Fastest I got was just over 1075m/s but got bored and wanted to land
QmcAZz1o7oNNjJSjzeUh8hGFGYnE8UcHpD7nyWBhzPqqRK

[edit] the comedy is going to be landing. Now pointing face down with FAO doing 850m/s and about 500k from the surface. Gravity now 2.2G and rising. At what point do I turn FA on and hope I don't pancake :D

[edit2]

QmcfF4gwit8ub9FqSo6iLMK5dZ8V2Zcit35f1TFM2YSgS3

Last edited:

I like your build for deep exploration! However, still being relatively new...I know that the faded out parts are just inactive, but how are you able to not be using your power distributor? Never switched it off because I figured, well, that would cut power to all systems?

Apologies for any newbness here :)

Top Bottom